Find a Doctor
Jason W. Denbo, MD
Program: Gastrointestinal Oncology
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Types Treated: Cholangiocarcinoma (Bile Duct Cancer), Colon Cancer, Colorectal Cancer , Gallbladder Cancer , Gastrointestinal Carcinoid Tumor , Liver Cancer , Neuroendocrine Tumor , Pancreatic Cancer , Rectal Cancer
Dr. Jason Denbo is an Assistant Member in the Department of Gastrointestinal Oncology. Dr. Denbo earned his MD degree at Indiana University School of Medicine and completed a General Surgery Residency at the University of Tennessee and a Research Fellowship at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis. Dr. Denbo received fellowship training in both Complex General Surgical Oncology and Advanced Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery at MD Anderson Cancer Center. Prior to his recruitment to Moffitt, Dr. Denbo was appointed as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Surgery at the University of Minnesota. Dr. Denbo’s clinical interests involve primary and metastatic hepatobiliary tumors as well as primary pancreatic tumors with a specific focus on minimally invasive surgical procedures and adjunctive therapies. Dr. Denbo’s surgical research will focus on the association between minimally invasive surgical procedures, the resultant inflammatory and immune response, and the receipt of adjuvant therapy. Other areas of interest include translational research involving biliary tract tumors and clinical trial design and implementation for locally advanced pancreatic cancer.
Education & Training
- Denbo JW, Marmour S, Jensen EH. Minimally Invasive Lymphadenectomy for Biliary Tumors: Stepwise Progress. Ann Surg Oncol. 2019 Jun;26(6):1592-1593. Pubmedid: 30919226.
- Altman AM, Wirth K, Marmor S, Lou E, Chang K, Hui JYC, Tuttle TM, Jensen EH, Denbo JW. Completion of Adjuvant Chemotherapy After Upfront Surgical Resection for Pancreatic Cancer Is Uncommon Yet Associated With Improved Survival. Ann Surg Oncol. 2019 Jul. Pubmedid: 31313044.
- Marmor S, Altman AM, Mayleben WT, Hui JYC, Denbo JW, Jensen EH, Tuttle TM. The use of contralateral prophylactic mastectomy among elderly patients in the United States. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019 Aug;177(1):175-183. Pubmedid: 31140081.
- Altman AM, Kizy S, Marmor S, Huang JL, Denbo JW, Jensen EH. Current survival and treatment trends for surgically resected intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma in the United States. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2018 Oct;9(5):942-952. Pubmedid: 30505597. Pmcid: PMC6219978.
- Altman AM, Kizy S, Yuan J, Denbo JW, Jensen EH, Hui JYC, Tuttle TM, Marmor S. Distribution of 21-Gene Recurrence Scores in Male Breast Cancer in the United States. Ann Surg Oncol. 2018 Aug;25(8):2296-2302. Pubmedid: 29907942.
- Cloyd JM, Nogueras-González GM, Prakash LR, Petzel MQB, Parker NH, Ngo-Huang AT, Fogelman D, Denbo JW, Garg N, Kim MP, Lee JE, Tzeng CD, Fleming JB, Katz MHG. Anthropometric Changes in Patients with Pancreatic Cancer Undergoing Preoperative Therapy and Pancreatoduodenectomy. J Gastrointest Surg. 2018 Apr;22(4):703-712. Pubmedid: 29230694. Pmcid: PMC6022283.
- Weatherall T, Denbo J, Sharpe J, Martin M, O'Brien T, Gupta R, Groshart K, Behrman S, Dickson P. Well-Differentiated, Non-Functional, Non-Ampullary Duodenal Neuroendocrine Tumors: Toward Defining Evaluation and Management. World J Surg. 2017 Mar;41(3):844-850. Pubmedid: 27743074.
- Cloyd JM, Wang H, Overman M, Zhao J, Denbo J, Prakash L, Kim MP, Shroff R, Javle M, Varadhachary GR, Fogelman D, Wolff RA, Koay EJ, Das P, Maitra A, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN, Fleming JB, Lee JE, Katz MHG. Influence of Preoperative Therapy on Short- and Long-Term Outcomes of Patients with Adenocarcinoma of the Ampulla of Vater. Ann Surg Oncol. 2017 Jul;24(7):2031-2039. Pubmedid: 28124275.
- Tran Cao HS, Phuoc V, Ismael H, Denbo JW, Passot G, Yamashita S, Conrad C, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN. Rate of Organ Space Infection Is Reduced with the Use of an Air Leak Test During Major Hepatectomies. J Gastrointest Surg. 2017 Jan;21(1):85-93. Pubmedid: 27496092.
- Denbo JW, Yamashita S, Passot G, Egger M, Chun YS, Kopetz SE, Maru D, Brudvik KW, Wei SH, Conrad C, Vauthey JN, Aloia TA. RAS Mutation Is Associated with Decreased Survival in Patients Undergoing Repeat Hepatectomy for Colorectal Liver Metastases. J Gastrointest Surg. 2017 Jan;21(1):68-77. Pubmedid: 27334313.
- Cloyd JM, Tran Cao HS, Petzel MQ, Denbo JW, Parker NH, Nogueras-González GM, Liles JS, Kim MP, Lee JE, Vauthey JN, Aloia TA, Fleming JB, Katz MH. Impact of pancreatectomy on long-term patient-reported symptoms and quality of life in recurrence-free survivors of pancreatic and periampullary neoplasms. J Surg Oncol. 2017 Feb;115(2):144-150. Pubmedid: 27859270.
- Passot G, Denbo JW, Yamashita S, Kopetz SE, Chun YS, Maru D, Overman MJ, Brudvik KW, Conrad C, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN. Is hepatectomy justified for patients with RAS mutant colorectal liver metastases? An analysis of 524 patients undergoing curative liver resection. Surgery. 2017 Feb;161(2):332-340. Pubmedid: 27592215.
- Ismael HN, Denbo J, Cox S, Crane CH, Das P, Krishnan S, Schroff RT, Javle M, Conrad C, Vauthey J, Aloia T. Biologic mesh spacer placement facilitates safe delivery of dose-intense radiation therapy: A novel treatment option for unresectable liver tumors. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016 Oct;42(10):1591-1596. Pubmedid: 27296729.
- Denbo JW, Bruno ML, Cloyd JM, Prakash L, Lee JE, Kim M, Crane CH, Koay EJ, Krishnan S, Das P, Minsky BD, Varadhachary G, Shroff R, Wolff R, Javle M, Overman MJ, Fogelman D, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN, Fleming JB, Katz MH. Preoperative Chemoradiation for Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma Does Not Increase 90-Day Postoperative Morbidity or Mortality. J Gastrointest Surg. 2016 Dec;20(12):1975-1985. Pubmedid: 27730398.
- Denbo JW, Fleming JB. Definition and Management of Borderline Resectable Pancreatic Cancer. Surg Clin N Am. 2016 Dec;96(6):1337-1350. Pubmedid: 27865281.
- Denbo JW, Zhu L, Srivastava D, Stokes DC, Srinivasan S, Hudson MM, Ness KK, Robison LL, Neel M, Rao B, Navid F, Davidoff AM, Green DM. Long-term pulmonary function after metastasectomy for childhood osteosarcoma: a report from the St Jude lifetime cohort study. J Am Coll Surg. 2014 Aug;219(2):265-271. Pubmedid: 24795268. Pmcid: PMC4308956.
- Denbo JW, Orr WS, Zarzaur BL, Behrman SW. Toward defining grade C pancreatic fistula following pancreaticoduodenectomy: incidence, risk factors, management and outcome. HPB (Oxford). 2012 Sep;14(9):589-593. Pubmedid: 22882195. Pmcid: PMC3461384.
- Denbo JW, Shannon Orr W, Wu Y, Wu J, Billups CA, Navid F, Rao BN, Davidoff AM, Krasin MJ. Timing of surgery and the role of adjuvant radiotherapy in ewing sarcoma of the chest wall: a single-institution experience. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Nov;19(12):3809-3815. Pubmedid: 22752372. Pmcid: PMC3529468.
- Orr WS, Shannon Orr W, Denbo JW, Billups CA, Wu J, Navid F, Rao BN, Davidoff AM, Krasin MJ. Analysis of prognostic factors in extraosseous Ewing sarcoma family of tumors: review of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital experience. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Nov;19(12):3816-3822. Pubmedid: 22739653.
- Myers AL, Orr WS, Denbo JW, Ng CY, Zhou J, Spence Y, Wu J, Davidoff AM. Rapamycin-induced tumor vasculature remodeling in rhabdomyosarcoma xenografts increases the effectiveness of adjuvant ionizing radiation. J Pediatr Surg. 2012 Jan;47(1):183-189. Pubmedid: 22244414. Pmcid: PMC3259455.
- Denbo JW, Williams RF, Orr WS, Sims TL, Ng CY, Zhou J, Spence Y, Morton CL, Nathwani AC, Duntsch C, Pfeffer LM, Davidoff AM. Continuous local delivery of interferon-β stabilizes tumor vasculature in an orthotopic glioblastoma xenograft resection model. Surgery. 2011 Sep;150(3):497-504. Pubmedid: 21878236. Pmcid: PMC3164960.