Find a Doctor
Jason Denbo, MD
Cancer Focus: Cholangiocarcinoma (Bile Duct Cancer), Colon Cancer, Colorectal Cancer , Gallbladder Cancer , Gastrointestinal Carcinoid Tumor , Liver Cancer , Neuroendocrine Tumor , Pancreatic Cancer , Rectal Cancer
Dr. Jason W. Denbo is an Assistant Member in the Department of Gastrointestinal Oncology. Dr. Denbo earned his MD degree at Indiana University School of Medicine and completed a General Surgery Residency at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center and a Research Fellowship at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, TN. Dr. Denbo received fellowship training in both Complex General Surgical Oncology and Advanced Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery at MD Anderson Cancer Center. Prior to his recruitment to Moffitt, Dr. Denbo served as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Surgery at the University of Minnesota. Dr. Denbo’s clinical interests include primary and metastatic hepatobiliary tumors as well as primary pancreatic tumors with a specific focus on minimally invasive surgical procedures and adjunctive therapies. Dr. Denbo is the Founder and Director of the Robotic Hepatobiliary Program at Moffit. He also holds a Certification in Medical Quality from the American Board of Medical Quality and serves as the Assistant Chair of Surgical Safety. Dr. Denbo’s research interests include: 1) the impact of minimally invasive surgical procedures, the resultant inflammatory and immune response, on oncologic outcomes and receipt of intended multimodal therapy; 2) clinical trial design and implementation for resectable oncologically high-risk cholangiocarcinoma; 3) the role of patient factors and treatment sequencing strategies to maximize completion of intended therapy in resectable pancreatic cancer and clinical trial design for this cohort of patients. Dr. Denbo is extremely grateful for the education, training and mentorship he received throughout his many years surgical training and has a real passion for education of the next generation of surgical oncologists.
Education & Training
- Utuama O, Permuth JB, Dagne G, Sanchez-Anguiano A, Alman A, Kumar A, Denbo J, Kim R, Fleming JB, Anaya DA. Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma: A Propensity Score Survival Analysis Supporting Use in Patients with High-Risk Disease. Ann Surg Oncol. 2021 Jan. Pubmedid: 33415559.
- Denbo JW, Kim BJ, Vauthey JN, Tzeng CW, Ma J, Huang SY, Chun YS, Katz MHG, Aloia TA. Overall Body Composition and Sarcopenia Are Associated with Poor Liver Hypertrophy Following Portal Vein Embolization. J Gastrointest Surg. 2021 Feb.25(2):405-410. Pubmedid: 31997073.
- Denbo J, Anaya DA. Textbook Outcomes Following Liver Resection for Cancer: A New Standard for Quality Benchmarking and Patient Decision Making. Ann Surg Oncol. 2020 Sep.27(9):3118-3120. Pubmedid: 32385768.
- Sheka AC, Altman A, Marmor S, Hui JYC, Denbo JW, Ankeny JS, Jensen EH. Failure to administer multimodality therapy leads to sub-optimal outcomes for patients with node-positive biliary tract cancers in the United States. Surg Oncol. 2020 Sep.34:298-303. Pubmedid: 32891346.
- Altman AM, Sheka AC, Marmor S, Lou E, Reynolds M, Hui JYC, Tuttle TM, Jensen EH, Denbo JW. The addition of chemoradiation to adjuvant chemotherapy is associated with improved survival in lymph node-positive gastric cancer. Surg Oncol. 2020 Sep.34:134-139. Pubmedid: 32891318.
- Gholami S, Perry LM, Denbo JW, Chavin K, Newell P, Ly Q, St Hill C, Morris-Stiff G, Kessler J, Frankel TL, Parikh ND, Philips P, Salti G, Augustin T, Aucejo F, Debroy M, Coburn N, Warner SG. Management of early hepatocellular carcinoma: results of the Delphi consensus process of the Americas Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association. HPB (Oxford). 2020 Sep. Pubmedid: 33008733.
- Altman AM, Kizy S, Marmor S, Hui JYC, Tuttle TM, Jensen EH, Denbo JW. Adjuvant chemotherapy for intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: approaching clinical practice consensus?. Hepatobiliary Surg Nutr. 2020 Oct.9(5):577-586. Pubmedid: 33163508. Pmcid: PMC7603918.
- Kim JK, DePeralta DK, Ogami T, Denbo JW, Pimiento J, Hodul PJ, Malafa MP, Kim DW, Fleming JB, Powers BD. Cancer outcomes are independent of preoperative CA 19-9 in anatomically resectable pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: A retrospective cohort analysis. J Surg Oncol. 2020 Nov.122(6):1074-1083. Pubmedid: 32673436.
- Kizy S, Altman AM, Wirth KM, Marmor S, Hui JYC, Tuttle TM, Lou E, Amin K, Denbo JW, Jensen EH. Systemic therapy without radiation may be appropriate as neoadjuvant therapy for localized pancreas cancer. Hepatobiliary Surg Nutr. 2020 Jun.9(3):296-303. Pubmedid: 32509815. Pmcid: PMC7262615.
- Kizy S, Altman AM, Marmor S, Denbo JW, Jensen EH, Tuttle TM, Hui JYC. 21-gene recurrence score testing in the older population with estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer. Geriatr Oncol. 2019 Mar.10(2):322-329. Pubmedid: 30093354.
- Denbo JW, Marmour S, Jensen EH. Minimally Invasive Lymphadenectomy for Biliary Tumors: Stepwise Progress. Ann Surg Oncol. 2019 Jun.26(6):1592-1593. Pubmedid: 30919226.
- Altman AM, Wirth K, Marmor S, Lou E, Chang K, Hui JYC, Tuttle TM, Jensen EH, Denbo JW. Completion of Adjuvant Chemotherapy After Upfront Surgical Resection for Pancreatic Cancer Is Uncommon Yet Associated With Improved Survival. Ann Surg Oncol. 2019 Jul.26(12):4108-4116. Pubmedid: 31313044.
- Kizy S, Altman AM, Marmor S, Wirth K, Ching Hui JY, Tuttle TM, Denbo JW, Jensen EH. Surgical resection of lymph node positive intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma may not improve survival. HPB (Oxford). 2019 Feb.21(2):235-241. Pubmedid: 30274882.
- Denbo JW, Marmor S, Jensen EH. Correction to: Minimally Invasive Lymphadenectomy for Biliary Tumors: Stepwise Progress. Ann Surg Oncol. 2019 Dec.26(Suppl 3):885. Pubmedid: 30968253.
- Marmor S, Altman AM, Mayleben WT, Hui JYC, Denbo JW, Jensen EH, Tuttle TM. The use of contralateral prophylactic mastectomy among elderly patients in the United States. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019 Aug.177(1):175-183. Pubmedid: 31140081.
- Denbo JW, Bruno M, Dewhurst W, Kim MP, Tzeng CW, Aloia TA, Soliz J, Speer BB, Lee JE, Katz MHG. Risk-stratified clinical pathways decrease the duration of hospitalization and costs of perioperative care after pancreatectomy. Surgery. 2018 Sep.164(3):424-431. Pubmedid: 29807648. Pmcid: PMC7265789.
- Altman AM, Kizy S, Marmor S, Huang JL, Denbo JW, Jensen EH. Current survival and treatment trends for surgically resected intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma in the United States. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2018 Oct.9(5):942-952. Pubmedid: 30505597. Pmcid: PMC6219978.
- Altman AM, Kizy S, Yuan J, Denbo JW, Jensen EH, Hui JYC, Tuttle TM, Marmor S. Distribution of 21-Gene Recurrence Scores in Male Breast Cancer in the United States. Ann Surg Oncol. 2018 Aug.25(8):2296-2302. Pubmedid: 29907942.
- Cloyd JM, Nogueras-González GM, Prakash LR, Petzel MQB, Parker NH, Ngo-Huang AT, Fogelman D, Denbo JW, Garg N, Kim MP, Lee JE, Tzeng CD, Fleming JB, Katz MHG. Anthropometric Changes in Patients with Pancreatic Cancer Undergoing Preoperative Therapy and Pancreatoduodenectomy. J Gastrointest Surg. 2018 Apr.22(4):703-712. Pubmedid: 29230694. Pmcid: PMC6022283.
- Weatherall T, Denbo J, Sharpe J, Martin M, O'Brien T, Gupta R, Groshart K, Behrman S, Dickson P. Well-Differentiated, Non-Functional, Non-Ampullary Duodenal Neuroendocrine Tumors: Toward Defining Evaluation and Management. World J Surg. 2017 Mar.41(3):844-850. Pubmedid: 27743074.
- Cloyd JM, Wang H, Overman M, Zhao J, Denbo J, Prakash L, Kim MP, Shroff R, Javle M, Varadhachary GR, Fogelman D, Wolff RA, Koay EJ, Das P, Maitra A, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN, Fleming JB, Lee JE, Katz MHG. Influence of Preoperative Therapy on Short- and Long-Term Outcomes of Patients with Adenocarcinoma of the Ampulla of Vater. Ann Surg Oncol. 2017 Jul.24(7):2031-2039. Pubmedid: 28124275.
- Tran Cao HS, Phuoc V, Ismael H, Denbo JW, Passot G, Yamashita S, Conrad C, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN. Rate of Organ Space Infection Is Reduced with the Use of an Air Leak Test During Major Hepatectomies. J Gastrointest Surg. 2017 Jan.21(1):85-93. Pubmedid: 27496092.
- Denbo JW, Yamashita S, Passot G, Egger M, Chun YS, Kopetz SE, Maru D, Brudvik KW, Wei SH, Conrad C, Vauthey JN, Aloia TA. RAS Mutation Is Associated with Decreased Survival in Patients Undergoing Repeat Hepatectomy for Colorectal Liver Metastases. J Gastrointest Surg. 2017 Jan.21(1):68-77. Pubmedid: 27334313.
- Cloyd JM, Tran Cao HS, Petzel MQ, Denbo JW, Parker NH, Nogueras-González GM, Liles JS, Kim MP, Lee JE, Vauthey JN, Aloia TA, Fleming JB, Katz MH. Impact of pancreatectomy on long-term patient-reported symptoms and quality of life in recurrence-free survivors of pancreatic and periampullary neoplasms. J Surg Oncol. 2017 Feb.115(2):144-150. Pubmedid: 27859270.
- Passot G, Denbo JW, Yamashita S, Kopetz SE, Chun YS, Maru D, Overman MJ, Brudvik KW, Conrad C, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN. Is hepatectomy justified for patients with RAS mutant colorectal liver metastases? An analysis of 524 patients undergoing curative liver resection. Surgery. 2017 Feb.161(2):332-340. Pubmedid: 27592215.
- Ismael HN, Denbo J, Cox S, Crane CH, Das P, Krishnan S, Schroff RT, Javle M, Conrad C, Vauthey J, Aloia T. Biologic mesh spacer placement facilitates safe delivery of dose-intense radiation therapy: A novel treatment option for unresectable liver tumors. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016 Oct.42(10):1591-1596. Pubmedid: 27296729.
- Denbo JW, Bruno ML, Cloyd JM, Prakash L, Lee JE, Kim M, Crane CH, Koay EJ, Krishnan S, Das P, Minsky BD, Varadhachary G, Shroff R, Wolff R, Javle M, Overman MJ, Fogelman D, Aloia TA, Vauthey JN, Fleming JB, Katz MH. Preoperative Chemoradiation for Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma Does Not Increase 90-Day Postoperative Morbidity or Mortality. J Gastrointest Surg. 2016 Dec.20(12):1975-1985. Pubmedid: 27730398.
- Denbo JW, Fleming JB. Definition and Management of Borderline Resectable Pancreatic Cancer. Surg Clin N Am. 2016 Dec.96(6):1337-1350. Pubmedid: 27865281.
- Denbo JW, Zhu L, Srivastava D, Stokes DC, Srinivasan S, Hudson MM, Ness KK, Robison LL, Neel M, Rao B, Navid F, Davidoff AM, Green DM. Long-term pulmonary function after metastasectomy for childhood osteosarcoma: a report from the St Jude lifetime cohort study. J Am Coll Surg. 2014 Aug.219(2):265-271. Pubmedid: 24795268. Pmcid: PMC4308956.
- Denbo JW, Orr WS, Zarzaur BL, Behrman SW. Toward defining grade C pancreatic fistula following pancreaticoduodenectomy: incidence, risk factors, management and outcome. HPB (Oxford). 2012 Sep.14(9):589-593. Pubmedid: 22882195. Pmcid: PMC3461384.
- Denbo JW, Shannon Orr W, Wu Y, Wu J, Billups CA, Navid F, Rao BN, Davidoff AM, Krasin MJ. Timing of surgery and the role of adjuvant radiotherapy in ewing sarcoma of the chest wall: a single-institution experience. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Nov.19(12):3809-3815. Pubmedid: 22752372. Pmcid: PMC3529468.
- Orr WS, Shannon Orr W, Denbo JW, Billups CA, Wu J, Navid F, Rao BN, Davidoff AM, Krasin MJ. Analysis of prognostic factors in extraosseous Ewing sarcoma family of tumors: review of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital experience. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Nov.19(12):3816-3822. Pubmedid: 22739653.
- Myers AL, Orr WS, Denbo JW, Ng CY, Zhou J, Spence Y, Wu J, Davidoff AM. Rapamycin-induced tumor vasculature remodeling in rhabdomyosarcoma xenografts increases the effectiveness of adjuvant ionizing radiation. J Pediatr Surg. 2012 Jan.47(1):183-189. Pubmedid: 22244414. Pmcid: PMC3259455.
- Denbo JW, Williams RF, Orr WS, Sims TL, Ng CY, Zhou J, Spence Y, Morton CL, Nathwani AC, Duntsch C, Pfeffer LM, Davidoff AM. Continuous local delivery of interferon-β stabilizes tumor vasculature in an orthotopic glioblastoma xenograft resection model. Surgery. 2011 Sep.150(3):497-504. Pubmedid: 21878236. Pmcid: PMC3164960.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.