Find a Doctor
James Costello, MD, PhD
Program: Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Radiology
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Types Treated: Lung Cancer , Liver Cancer , Mesothelioma , Pancoast Tumor , Thymoma
Dr. James Costello is an Associate Member in the Department of Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Radiology at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Costello earned his MD at Emory University and his PhD from Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta. He completed a Radiology Residency at Emory University. Dr. Costello completed a Translational Science Body MRI Research Fellowship at Emory University and also at the University of Arizona School of Medicine. Following his fellowship, he was employed at the University of Arizona as an Assistant Professor. Dr. Costello was recently at Radiology Associates of Macon, Georgia. Dr. Costello’s clinical interests focus on body imaging with an emphasis on dynamic and functional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Dr. Costello investigates new applications of MRI in an attempt to better quantify and describe clinical metrics. This work includes the application of MRI for assessing lobar and segmental pulmonary biomechanics, regional quantitative measurements of hepatic fibrosis, and non-invasive detection of local hypoxia using Blood Oxygenation Level Dependent (BOLD) and Tissue Oxygenation Level Dependent (TOLD) imaging.
Education & Training
- University of Arizona School of Medicine - Translational Science Body MRI
- Emory University School of Medicine - Radiology
- Emory University School of Medicine - MD
- Czeyda-Pommersheim F, Martin DR, Costello JR, Kalb B. Contrast Agents for MR Imaging. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am. 2017 Nov;25(4):705-711. Pubmedid: 28964460.
- Czeyda-Pommersheim F, Kalb B, Costello J, Liau J, Meshksar A, Arif Tiwari H, Martin D. MRI in pelvic inflammatory disease: a pictorial review. Abdom Radiol (NY). 2017 03;42(3):935-950. Pubmedid: 27933478.
- Petkovska I, Duke E, Martin DR, Irani Z, Geffre CP, Cragun JM, Costello JR, Arif-Tiwari H, Czeyda-Pommersheim F, Udayasankar U, Kalb B. MRI of ovarian torsion: Correlation of imaging features with the presence of perifollicular hemorrhage and ovarian viability. Eur J Radiol. 2016 Nov;85(11):2064-2071. Pubmedid: 27776660.
- Petkovska I, Martin DR, Covington MF, Urbina S, Duke E, Daye ZJ, Stolz LA, Keim SM, Costello JR, Chundru S, Arif-Tiwari H, Gilbertson-Dahdal D, Gries L, Kalb B. Accuracy of Unenhanced MR Imaging in the Detection of Acute Appendicitis: Single-Institution Clinical Performance Review. Radiology. 2016 May;279(2):451-460. Pubmedid: 26807893.
- Costello JR, Kalb B, Martin DR. Incidence and Risk Factors for Gadolinium-Based Contrast Agent Immediate Reactions. Top Magn Reson Imaging. 2016 Dec;25(6):257-263. Pubmedid: 27748714.
- Moinuddin I, Bracamonte E, Thajudeen B, Sussman A, Madhrira M, Costello J. Allergic Interstitial Nephritis Manifesting as a Striated Nephrogram. Case Rep Med. 2015 Dec;2015:250530. Pubmedid: 26664405. Pmcid: PMC4667022.
- Arif-Tiwari H, Kalb B, Chundru S, Sharma P, Costello J, Guessner RW, Martin DR. MRI of hepatocellular carcinoma: an update of current practices. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2014 May;20(3):209-221. Pubmedid: 24808419. Pmcid: PMC4463351.
- Chundru S, Kalb B, Arif-Tiwari H, Sharma P, Costello J, Martin DR. MRI of diffuse liver disease: characteristics of acute and chronic diseases. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2014 May;20(3):200-208. Pubmedid: 24808418. Pmcid: PMC4463342.
- Costello JR, Kalb B, Chundru S, Arif H, Petkovska I, Martin DR. MR imaging of benign and malignant biliary conditions. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am. 2014 Aug;22(3):467-488. Pubmedid: 25086940.
- Chundru S, Kalb B, Arif-Tiwari H, Sharma P, Costello J, Martin DR. MRI of diffuse liver disease: the common and uncommon etiologies. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2013 Nov;19(6):479-487. Pubmedid: 23921268.
- Costello JR, Mullins ME, Votaw JR, Karolyi DR, Kalb B, Gonzales P, Fornwalt B, Meltzer CC. Establishing a new radiology residency research track. Acad Radiol. 2013 Feb;20(2):243-248. Pubmedid: 23085410.
- Kalb B, Sharma P, Tigges S, Ray GL, Kitajima HD, Costello JR, Chen Z, Martin DR. MR imaging of pulmonary embolism: diagnostic accuracy of contrast-enhanced 3D MR pulmonary angiography, contrast-enhanced low-flip angle 3D GRE, and nonenhanced free-induction FISP sequences. Radiology. 2012 Apr;263(1):271-278. Pubmedid: 22438448.