Find a Doctor
Dr. Joaquim Farinhas is an Associate Member in the Department of Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Radiology. After receiving his MD from SUNY Upstate Medical University, Dr. Farinhas completed a Radiology Residency and a Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology Fellowship at Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York. Following his fellowship, Dr. Farinhas was appointed Assistant Professor of Clinical Radiology at Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine and was later promoted to Associate Professor. Dr. Farinhas joins us from Partners Imaging Centers in Sarasota, where he served as the Director of Neuroradiology. Dr. Farinhas’s clinical interests focus on advanced imaging of brain, spine, head and neck cancers. He has conducted 3D medical imaging projects to assist in neurologic surgery planning. His research interests include novel uses of contrast media for MRI and CT, functional MRI, and enhanced CT of intracranial blood flow; he is also interested in research related to medical education.
Education & Training
- McMullen CP, Garneau J, Weimar E, Ali S, Farinhas JM, Yu E, Som PM, Sarta C, Goldstein DP, Su S, Xu W, Smith RV, Miles B, de Almeida JR. Occult Nodal Disease and Occult Extranodal Extension in Patients With Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma Undergoing Primary Transoral Robotic Surgery With Neck Dissection. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2019 Jun. Pubmedid: 31219521. Pmcid: PMC6587146.
- Miller TS, Altschul D, Baxi N, Farinhas J, Pasquale D, Burns J, Gordon D, Bello J, Brook A, Flamm E. Comparison of the Prevalence of Ruptured and Unruptured Cerebral Aneurysms in a Poor Urban Minority Population. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2017 Oct.26(10):2287-2293. Pubmedid: 28623116.
- Kinon MD, Scoco A, Farinhas JM, Kobets A, Weidenheim KM, Yassari R, Lasala PA, Graber J. Glioblastoma multiforme presenting with an open ring pattern of enhancement on MR imaging. Surg Neurol Int. 2017 Jun.8:106. Pubmedid: 28680725. Pmcid: PMC5482157.
- Francischetti IMB, Cajigas A, Suhrland M, Farinhas JM, Khader S. Incidental primary mediastinal choriocarcinoma diagnosed by endobronchial ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration in a patient presenting with transient ischemic attack and stroke. Diagn Cytopathol. 2017 Aug.45(8):738-743. Pubmedid: 28397369.
- Schiff BA, McMullen CP, Farinhas J, Jackman AH, Hagiwara M, McKellop J, Lui YW. Use of computed tomography to assess volume change after endoscopic orbital decompression for Graves' ophthalmopathy. Am J Otolaryngol. 2016 Aug.36(6):729-735. Pubmedid: 26545461.
- Salama GR, Farinhas JM, Pasquale DD, Wertenbaker C, Bello JA. Central venous occlusion mimics carotid cavernous fistula: a case report and review of the literature. Clin Imaging. 2015 Jun.38(6):884-887. Pubmedid: 25128089.
- Rosman DA, Farinhas J, Kassing P, Pattie LN, McGinty G. Radiology in pioneer accountable care organizations: much ado about nothing?. J Am Coll Radiol. 2015 Feb.12(2):124-126. Pubmedid: 24726445.
- Rosman DA, Farinhas JM, Ullrich CG, McGinty G. Accountable care organizations: is the radiologist at risk?. J Am Coll Radiol. 2013 Sep.10(9):645-646. Pubmedid: 23664064.
- Miller TS, Fruauff K, Farinhas J, Pasquale D, Romano C, Schoenfeld AH, Brook A. Lateral decubitus positioning for cervical nerve root block using CT image guidance minimizes effective radiation dose and procedural time. Ajnr Am J Neuroradiol. 2013 Jan.34(1):23-28. Pubmedid: 22743642.
- Miller T, Burns J, Farinhas J, Pasquale D, Haboosheh A, Bello JA, Brook A. Covered stents safely utilized to prevent catastrophic hemorrhage in patients with advanced head and neck malignancy. J Neurointerv Surg. 2012 Nov.4(6):426-434. Pubmedid: 21990527.
- Lui YW, Farinhas JM, Basalely AM, Hsu KA, Freeman K, Bello JA. Assessment of an introductory cervicocerebral catheter angiography learning program: a pilot study. Ajnr Am J Neuroradiol. 2012 Jun.33(6):1041-1045. Pubmedid: 22282448.
- Schachar JL, Zampolin RL, Miller TS, Farinhas JM, Freeman K, Taragin BH. External validation of the New Orleans Criteria (NOC), the Canadian CT Head Rule (CCHR) and the National Emergency X-Radiography Utilization Study II (NEXUS II) for CT scanning in pediatric patients with minor head injury in a non-trauma center. Pediatr Radiol. 2011 Aug.41(8):971-979. Pubmedid: 21465153.
- Lui YW, Malhotra A, Farinhas JM, Dasari SB, Weidenheim K, Freeman K, LaSala PA. Dynamic perfusion MRI characteristics of dural metastases and meningiomas: a pilot study characterizing the first-pass wash-in phase beyond relative cerebral blood volume. Ajr Am J Roentgenol. 2011 Apr.196(4):886-890. Pubmedid: 21427341.
- Brook AL, Gold MM, Farinhas JM, Goodrich JT, Bello JA. Endovascular transvenous embolization of sinus pericranii. Case report. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2009 Mar.3(3):220-224. Pubmedid: 19338469.
- Gold MM, Miller TS, Farinhas JM, Altschul DJ, Bello JA, Brook AL. Computed tomography-guided lumbar drain placement. J Neurosurg Spine. 2008 Oct.9(4):372-373. Pubmedid: 18939924.
- Brook AL, Gold MM, Miller TS, Gold T, Owen RP, Sanchez LS, Farinhas JM, Shifteh K, Bello JA. CT-guided radiofrequency ablation in the palliative treatment of recurrent advanced head and neck malignancies. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2008 May.19(5):725-735. Pubmedid: 18440462.
- Brook AL, Miller TS, Fast A, Nolan T, Farinhas J, Shifteh K. Vertebral augmentation with a flexible curved needle: preliminary results in 17 consecutive patients. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2008 Dec.19(12):1785-1789. Pubmedid: 18951044.
- Grosberg BM, Farinhas J, Kazmi M, Cohen JA, Eskey CJ. Teaching case: inflammatory headache. Headache. 2007 Jun.47(6):945-947. Pubmedid: 17578556.
- Li T, Farinhas J, Chun KJ, Freeman LM. Discordant uptake on Ga-67 and Tc-99m MDP scintigraphy in a patient with multiple myeloma: an indication of poor prognosis. Clin Nucl Med. 2003 Apr.28(4):322-324. Pubmedid: 12642716.