Find a Doctor
Cancer Focus: Hodgkin Lymphoma , Leukemia , Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
Dr. Shao is an assistant member in the Hematopathology and Laboratory Medicine and an assistant Professor in the Department of Oncologic Sciences and Department of Pathology & Cell Biopsy at the University of South Florida (USF) Morsani College of Medicine. His education includes a medical doctorate degree from the West China University of Medical Sciences, China (1993) and a PhD degree in Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry from the University of Kentucky in Lexington, Kentucky (2000). He received residency training (Anatomic Pathology/Clinical Pathology, 2008) at the University of Wisconsin, in Madison, Wisconsin, and fellowship training (Hematopathology, 2010) at the National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, in Bethesda, Maryland. He is certified by the American Board of Pathology in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology and Hematopathology. As a hematopathologist, Dr. Shao is specialized in diagnosing lymphoproliferative disorders and is actively involved in translational research on lymphomas. He has over 20 publications in peer-reviewed journals and has served as reviewer for multiple journals.
Education & Training
- National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health - Hematopathology
- University of Wisconsin-Madison - Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
- West China University of Medical Sciences - MD
- Dong N, Castillo Tokumori F, Isenalumhe L, Zhang Y, Tandon A, Knepper TC, Mo Q, Shao H, Zhang L, Sokol L. Large granular lymphocytic leukemia - A retrospective study of 319 cases. Am J Hematol. 2021 Apr. Pubmedid: 33819354.
- Song J, Hussaini M, Qin D, Zhang X, Shao H, Zhang L, Gajzer D, Basra P, Moscinski L, Zhang H. Comparison of SF3B1/DNMT3A Comutations With DNMT3A or SF3B1 Mutation Alone in Myelodysplastic Syndrome and Clonal Cytopenia of Undetermined Significance. Am J Clin Pathol. 2020 Jun.154(1):48-56. Pubmedid: 32112088.
- Shao H, Wang W, Song J, Tang G, Zhang X, Tang Z, Srivastava J, Shah B, Medeiros LJ, Zhang L. Myeloid/lymphoid neoplasms with eosinophilia and FLT3 rearrangement. Leuk Res. 2020 Dec.99:106460. Pubmedid: 33166908.
- Horna P, Moscinski LC, Sokol L, Shao H. Naïve/memory T-cell phenotypes in leukemic cutaneous T-cell lymphoma: Putative cell of origin overlaps disease classification. Cytometry B Clin Cytom. 2019 May.96(3):234-241. Pubmedid: 30328260. Pmcid: PMC7703846.
- Markow M, Mirza AS, Perez L, Shao H, Horna P, Anasetti C, Sokol L, Hussaini MO. Transformation of T-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Lymphoma to Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma: A Report of Two Cases. Case Rep Hematol. 2018 Feb.2018:9191582. Pubmedid: 29682368. Pmcid: PMC5850893.
- Horna P, Shao H, Idrees A, Glass LF, Torres-Cabala CA. Indeterminate dendritic cell neoplasm of the skin: A 2-case report and review of the literature. J Cutan Pathol. 2017 Nov.44(11):958-963. Pubmedid: 28880462.
- Song J, Hussaini M, Zhang H, Shao H, Qin D, Zhang X, Ma Z, Hussnain Naqvi SM, Zhang L, Moscinski LC. Comparison of the Mutational Profiles of Primary Myelofibrosis, Polycythemia Vera, and Essential Thrombocytosis. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017 May.147(5):444-452. Pubmedid: 28419183. Pmcid: PMC5402718.
- Nguyen L, Papenhausen P, Shao H. The Role of c-MYC in B-Cell Lymphomas: Diagnostic and Molecular Aspects. Genes (Basel). 2017 Apr.8(4). Pubmedid: 28379189. Pmcid: PMC5406863.
- Tan E, Shao H, Friedman M. Mycosis Fungoides of the Rectum: Case Report and Review of the Literature. J Gastrointest Cancer. 2016 Dec.47(4):417-419. Pubmedid: 26195195.
- Song J, Shao H. SNP Array in Hematopoietic Neoplasms: A Review. Microarrays (Basel). 2015 Dec.5(1). Pubmedid: 27600067. Pmcid: PMC5003446.
- Dalia S, Shao H, Sagatys E, Cualing H, Sokol L. Dendritic cell and histiocytic neoplasms: biology, diagnosis, and treatment. Cancer Control. 2014 Oct.21(4):290-300. Pubmedid: 25310210.
- You Y, Shao H, Bui K, Bui M, Klapman J, Cui Q, Coppola D. Epstein-Barr virus positive inflammatory pseudotumor of the liver: report of a challenging case and review of the literature. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2014 Nov.44(4):489-498. Pubmedid: 25361938.
- Wu H, Zhang L, Shao H, Sokol L, Sotomayor E, Letson D, Bui MM. Prognostic significance of soft tissue extension, international prognostic index, and multifocality in primary bone lymphoma: a single institutional experience. Brit J Haematol. 2014 Jul.166(1):60-68. Pubmedid: 24673481.
- Harrington L, Sokol L, Holdener S, Shao H, Zhang L. Cutaneous gamma-delta T-cell lymphoma with central nervous system involvement: report of a rarity with review of literature. J Cutan Pathol. 2014 Dec.41(12):936-943. Pubmedid: 25292289.
- Wu H, Bui MM, Leston DG, Shao H, Sokol L, Sotomayor EM, Zhang L. Clinical characteristics and prognostic factors of bone lymphomas: focus on the clinical significance of multifocal bone involvement by primary bone large B-cell lymphomas. BMC Cancer. 2014 Dec.14:900. Pubmedid: 25465716. Pmcid: PMC4265495.
- Zhang X, Sun M, Zhang L, Shao H. Primary hepatosplenic CD5-positive diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: a case report with literature review. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2013 Nov.6(5):985-989. Pubmedid: 23638236. Pmcid: PMC3638115.
- Setoodeh R, Schwartz S, Papenhausen P, Zhang L, Sagatys EM, Moscinski LC, Shao H. Double-hit mantle cell lymphoma with MYC gene rearrangement or amplification: a report of four cases and review of the literature. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2013 Jul.6(2):155-167. Pubmedid: 23330001. Pmcid: PMC3544229.
- Zhang L, Sotomayor EM, Papenhausen PR, Shao H, Moscinski LC, Sandin RL, Caceres G, Valenica H, Malafa M, List AF, Sokol L. Unusual concurrence of T-cell large granular lymphocytic leukemia with Franklin disease (gamma heavy chain disease) manifested with massive splenomegaly. Leuk Lymphoma. 2013 Jan.54(1):205-208. Pubmedid: 22694793.
- Zhang L, Shao H. Primary cutaneous CD4 positive small/medium T-cell lymphoma with high proliferation index and CD30-positive large lymphoid cells. J Cutan Pathol. 2013 Aug.40(8):720-724. Pubmedid: 23672694.
- Shao H, Calvo KR, Grönborg M, Tembhare PR, Kreitman RJ, Stetler-Stevenson M, Yuan CM. Distinguishing hairy cell leukemia variant from hairy cell leukemia: development and validation of diagnostic criteria. Leuk Res. 2013 Apr.37(4):401-409. Pubmedid: 23347903. Pmcid: PMC5575750.
- Shao H, Xi L, Raffeld M, Feldman AL, Ketterling RP, Knudson R, Rodriguez-Canales J, Hanson J, Pittaluga S, Jaffe ES. Clonally related histiocytic/dendritic cell sarcoma and chronic lymphocytic leukemia/small lymphocytic lymphoma: a study of seven cases. Mod Pathol. 2011 Nov.24(11):1421-1432. Pubmedid: 21666687. Pmcid: PMC3175277.
- Shao H, Xi L, Raffeld M, Pittaluga S, Dunleavy K, Wilson WH, Spector N, Milito C, Morais JC, Jaffe ES. Nodal and extranodal plasmacytomas expressing immunoglobulin a: an indolent lymphoproliferative disorder with a low risk of clinical progression. Am J Surg Pathol. 2010 Oct.34(10):1425-1435. Pubmedid: 20871216. Pmcid: PMC2947321.
- Shao H, Yuan CM, Xi L, Raffeld M, Morris JC, Janik JE, Stetler-Stevenson M. Minimal residual disease detection by flow cytometry in adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma. Am J Clin Pathol. 2010 Apr.133(4):592-601. Pubmedid: 20231613. Pmcid: PMC7596844.
- Spencer ML, Shao H, Tucker HM, Andres DA. Nerve growth factor-dependent activation of the small GTPase Rin. J Biol Chem. 2002 May.277(20):17605-17615. Pubmedid: 11877426.
- Spencer ML, Shao H, Andres DA. Induction of neurite extension and survival in pheochromocytoma cells by the Rit GTPase. J Biol Chem. 2002 Jun.277(23):20160-20168. Pubmedid: 11914372.
- Finlin BS, Gau CL, Murphy GA, Shao H, Kimel T, Seitz RS, Chiu YF, Botstein D, Brown PO, Der CJ, Tamanoi F, Andres DA, Perou CM. RERG is a novel ras-related, estrogen-regulated and growth-inhibitory gene in breast cancer. J Biol Chem. 2001 Nov.276(45):42259-42267. Pubmedid: 11533059.
- Rusyn EV, Reynolds ER, Shao H, Grana TM, Chan TO, Andres DA, Cox AD. Rit, a non-lipid-modified Ras-related protein, transforms NIH3T3 cells without activating the ERK, JNK, p38 MAPK or PI3K/Akt pathways. Oncogene. 2000 Sep.19(41):4685-4694. Pubmedid: 11032018.
- Shao H, Andres DA. A novel RalGEF-like protein, RGL3, as a candidate effector for rit and Ras. J Biol Chem. 2000 Sep.275(35):26914-26924. Pubmedid: 10869344.
- Finlin BS, Shao H, Kadono-Okuda K, Guo N, Andres DA. Rem2, a new member of the Rem/Rad/Gem/Kir family of Ras-related GTPases. Biochem J. 2000 Apr.347 Pt 1:223-231. Pubmedid: 10727423. Pmcid: PMC1220952.
- Shao H, Kadono-Okuda K, Finlin BS, Andres DA. Biochemical characterization of the Ras-related GTPases Rit and Rin. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1999 Nov.371(2):207-219. Pubmedid: 10545207.
- Andres DA, Shao H, Crick DC, Finlin BS. Expression cloning of a novel farnesylated protein, RDJ2, encoding a DnaJ protein homologue. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1997 Oct.346(1):113-124. Pubmedid: 9328291.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.