Find a Doctor Search
Dr. Ghassan El-Haddad is the Section Head for the Radionuclide Therapy Program at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute. He is an Associate Member in the Division of Vascular and Interventional Radiology at Moffitt Cancer Center and an Assistant Professor of Radiology and Oncologic Sciences at the University of South Florida in Tampa, FL. Dr. El-Haddad received his medical degree from the Lebanese University in Beirut, Lebanon. After an internship at SUNY Upstate Medical University, he completed his residency in Nuclear Medicine as well as a fellowship in Nuclear Oncology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA. Following 2 years of practice at the PET center of the Biomedical Research Foundation of Northwest Louisiana, he completed a Radiology Residency at St Vincent's Medical Center/University of Connecticut in Bridgeport, CT, followed by a fellowship in Vascular and Interventional Radiology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. He is double board certified by the American Board of Nuclear Medicine (ABNM) and the American Board of Radiology (ABR). He is member of the Board of Directors of the ABNM. He is a founding member of the Society of Interventional Oncology (SIO), an active member of multiple medical societies, including the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (SNMMI), Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR), American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS), Florida Society of Clinical Oncology (FLASCO), and corresponding member of the European Society of Radiology (ESR). He is a member of the Targeted Radioisotope Therapy Outreach Working Group for the SNMMI, as well as a member of several committees including the Nuclear Medicine/Molecular Imaging Scientific Program Subcommittee for the ARRS and International Education Division for SIO. He is an investigator/co-investigator on several phase I/II and phase III multicenter randomized clinical trials. His research interests include development of novel targeted and minimally invasive image-guided cancer therapies. Dr. El-Haddad's clinical interests are to promote the role of individualized image-guided therapies as part of a multidisciplinary approach to provide the most effective treatment for patients with cancer while maintaining an optimal quality of life. He is specialized in minimally invasive interventional oncology procedures and targeted radionuclide therapy. His expertise includes thermal ablation of primary and metastatic liver and renal tumors (microwave ablation, radiofrequency ablation, cryoablation and nano-knife ablation), embolization of tumors (bland embolization, chemoembolization and radioembolization), lymphangiography and thoracic duct embolization, radio-immunotherapy for lymphoma, alpha targeted therapy for metastatic prostate cancer and peptide receptor radionuclide therapy for metastatic neuroendocrine tumors.
Education & Training
- Nuclear Medicine
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - Nuclear Oncology
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia/Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - Pediatric Nuclear Medicine
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - Vascular and Interventional Radiology
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - Nuclear Medicine
- St. Vincent's Medical Center/University of Connecticut - Radiology
- Lebanese University, Lebanon - MD
CLINICAL TRIAL 19130
Expanded Access Protocol for Therapeutic Use of 177Lu-DOTA0-Tyr3-Octreotate in Patients with Inoperable, Somatostatin Receptor Positive, Midgut Carcinoid Tumors, Progressive under Somatostatin Analogue Therapy.
Condition: Gastrointestinal Tumor
Intervention: 177Lu-DOTA0-Ty3-Octreotate (Lutathera); Lutathera
CLINICAL TRIAL 18094
A Phase 2 Study of Transarterial Chemoperfusion Treatment with Cisplatin, Methotrexate and Gemcitabine in Patients with Unresectable Pleural Mesothelioma
Intervention: Gemzar (gemcitabine); cisplatin; gemcitabine; methotrexate
If you believe you are eligible for one of these trials or studies, please call
- Kis B, El-Haddad G, Sheth RA, Parikh NS, Ganguli S, Shyn PB, Choi J, Brown KT. Liver-Directed Therapies for Hepatocellular Carcinoma and Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma. Cancer Control. 2017 Jul;24(3). Pubmedid: 28975829.
- Strosberg J, El-Haddad G, Wolin E, Hendifar A, Yao J, Chasen B, Mittra E, Kunz PL, Kulke MH, Jacene H, Bushnell D, O'Dorisio TM, Baum RP, Kulkarni HR, Caplin M, Lebtahi R, Hobday T, Delpassand E, Van Cutsem E, Benson A, Srirajaskanthan R, Pavel M, Mora J, Berlin J, Grande E, Reed N, Seregni E, Öberg K, Lopera Sierra M, Santoro P, Thevenet T, Erion JL, Ruszniewski P, Kwekkeboom D, Krenning E. Phase 3 Trial of (177)Lu-Dotatate for Midgut Neuroendocrine Tumors. N Engl J Med. 2017 Jan;376(2):125-135. Pubmedid: 28076709.
- Chen JX, Rose S, White SB, El-Haddad G, Fidelman N, Yarmohammadi H, Hwang W, Sze DY, Kothary N, Stashek K, Wileyto EP, Salem R, Metz DC, Soulen MC. Embolotherapy for Neuroendocrine Tumor Liver Metastases: Prognostic Factors for Hepatic Progression-Free Survival and Overall Survival. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2017 Jan;40(1):69-80. Pubmedid: 27738818.
- Kis B, Shah J, Choi J, El-Haddad G, Sweeney J, Biebel B, Mellon E, Frakes JM, Hoffe SE, Fishman MN, Shridhar R. Transarterial Yttrium-90 Radioembolization Treatment of Patients with Liver-Dominant Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2017 Feb;28(2):254-259. Pubmedid: 27955832.
- Mills M, Choi J, El-Haddad G, Sweeney J, Biebel B, Robinson L, Antonia S, Kumar A, Kis B. Retrospective analysis of technical success rate and procedure-related complications of 867 percutaneous CT-guided needle biopsies of lung lesions. Clin Radiol. 2017 Dec;72(12):1038-1046. Pubmedid: 28851490.
- Abuodeh Y, Ahmed K, Echevarria M, Naghavi A, Grass GD, Robinson TJ, Tomblyn M, Shah B, Chavez J, Bello C, El-Haddad G, Harrison L, Kim S. Priming radioimmunotherapy with external beam radiation in patients with relapsed low grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Ther Adv Hematol. 2017 Apr;8(4):129-138. Pubmedid: 28491264. Pmcid: PMC5405899.
- Mohammadi H, Abuodeh YA, Jin W, Frakes JM, Friedman M, Biebel B, Choi J, El-Haddad GE, Kis B, Sweeney J, Kim R, Pimiento JM, Malafa MP, Anaya D, Hoffe SE. Using the ALBI Grade as a Prognostic Marker for Radioembolization of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016 Oct;96(2S):E194-E195.
- El-Haddad G. PET-Based Percutaneous Needle Biopsy. PET Clin. 2016 Jul;11(3):333-349. Pubmedid: 27321036.
- Abuodeh Y, Naghavi AO, Ahmed KA, Venkat PS, Kim Y, Kis B, Choi J, Biebel B, Sweeney J, Anaya DA, Kim R, Malafa M, Frakes JM, Hoffe SE, El-Haddad G. Prognostic value of pre-treatment F-18-FDG PET-CT in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma undergoing radioembolization. World J Gastroenterol. 2016 Dec;22(47):10406-10414. Pubmedid: 28058021. Pmcid: PMC5175253.
- Ahmed KA, Caudell JJ, El-Haddad G, Berglund AE, Welsh EA, Yue B, Hoffe SE, Naghavi AO, Abuodeh YA, Frakes JM, Eschrich SA, Torres-Roca JF. Radiosensitivity Differences Between Liver Metastases Based on Primary Histology Suggest Implications for Clinical Outcomes After Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016 Aug;95(5):1399-1404. Pubmedid: 27319288.
- Abbott AM, Kim R, Hoffe SE, Arslan B, Biebel B, Choi J, El-Haddad G, Kis B, Sweeney J, Meredith KL, Almhanna K, Strosberg J, Shibata D, Fulp WJ, Shridhar R. Outcomes of Therasphere Radioembolization for Colorectal Metastases. Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2015 Sep;14(3):146-153. Pubmedid: 25795047.
- Samim M, El-Haddad GE, Molenaar IQ, Prevoo W, van den Bosch MA, Alavi A, Lam MG. [18F]Fluorodeoxyglucose PET for Interventional Oncology in Liver Malignancy. PET Clin. 2014 Oct;9(4):469-95, vi. Pubmedid: 26050948.
- Mathew AS, El-Haddad G, Lilien DL, Takalkar AM. Costosternal chondrodynia simulating recurrent breast cancer unveiled by FDG PET. Clin Nucl Med. 2008 May;33(5):330-332. Pubmedid: 18431146.
- Takalkar AM, El-Haddad G, Lilien DL, Patterson JC. Simultaneous demonstration of metabolic lesions consistent with Alzheimer disease and brain metastases on FDG-PET imaging. Clin Nucl Med. 2008 Jun;33(6):438-440. Pubmedid: 18496460.
- Servaes S, El-Haddad G, Zhuang H. Intense octreotide activity in a thrombus. Clin Nucl Med. 2008 Feb;33(2):140-141. Pubmedid: 18209542.
- Takalkar AM, Bruno GL, Makanjoula AJ, El-Haddad G, Lilien DL, Payne DK. A Potential Role for F-18 FDG PET/CT in Evaluation and Management of Fibrosing Mediastinitis. Clin Nucl Med. 2007 Sep;32(9):703-706. Pubmedid: 17710023.
- Mahne A, El-Haddad G, Alavi A, Houseni M, Moonis G, Mong A, Hernandez-Pampaloni M, Torigian DA. Assessment of age-related morphological and functional changes of selected structures of the head and neck by computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, and positron emission tomography. Semin Nucl Med. 2007 Mar;37(2):88-102. Pubmedid: 17289457.
- Yang H, Bathaii M, Houseni M, El-Haddad G, Zhuang H, Alavi A, Araujo L. False-positive reversible septal myocardial perfusion defect caused by diaphragmatic hernia. Clin Nucl Med. 2007 Mar;32(3):231-233. Pubmedid: 17314607.
- Prasad S, El-Haddad G, Zhuang H, Khella S. Intracranial hypotension following chiropractic spinal manipulation. Headache. 2006 Oct;46(9):1456-1458. Pubmedid: 17040344.
- Bural GG, Torigian DA, Chamroonrat W, Alkhawaldeh K, Houseni M, El-Haddad G, Alavi A. Quantitative assessment of the atherosclerotic burden of the aorta by combined FDG-PET and CT image analysis: a new concept. Nucl Med Biol. 2006 Nov;33(8):1037-1043. Pubmedid: 17127178.
- Chamroonrat W, Zhuang H, Houseni M, Mavi A, El-Haddad G, Bhutain C, Alavi A. Malignant lesions can mimic gastric uptake on FDG PET. Clin Nucl Med. 2006 Jan;31(1):37-38. Pubmedid: 16374124.
- El-Haddad G, Kumar R, Pamplona R, Alavi A. PET/MRI depicts the exact location of meniscal tear associated with synovitis. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2006 Apr;33(4):507-508. Pubmedid: 16496195.
- El-Haddad G, Alavi A, Zhuang H. Value of 18-Fluoro-2-Deoxyglucose PET in the Management of Patients with Fever of Unknown Origin. PET Clin. 2006 Apr;1(2):163-177. Pubmedid: 27157082.
- Yu JQ, Zhuang H, Xiu Y, El-Haddad G, Kumar R, Alavi A. Small urine leak after renal transplantation: detection by delayed 99mTc-DTPA renography--a case report. J Nucl Med Technol. 2005 Mar;33(1):31-33. Pubmedid: 15731018.
- Chamroonrat W, Posteraro A, El-Haddad G, Zhuang H, Alavi A. Radiation myelopathy visualized as increased FDG uptake on positron emission tomography. Clin Nucl Med. 2005 Aug;30(8):560. Pubmedid: 16024956.
- Kumar R, Xiu Y, Mavi A, El-Haddad G, Zhuang H, Alavi A. FDG-PET imaging in primary bilateral adrenal lymphoma: a case report and review of the literature. Clin Nucl Med. 2005 Apr;30(4):222-230. Pubmedid: 15764875.
- El-Haddad G, Zhuang H, Gupta N, Alavi A. Evolving role of positron emission tomography in the management of patients with inflammatory and other benign disorders. Semin Nucl Med. 2004 Oct;34(4):313-329. Pubmedid: 15493008.
- El-Haddad G, Alavi A, Mavi A, Bural G, Zhuang H. Normal variants in [18F]-fluorodeoxyglucose PET imaging. Radiol Clin North Am. 2004 Nov;42(6):1063-81, viii. Pubmedid: 15488558.
- Kumar R, Xiu Y, Yu JQ, Takalkar A, El-Haddad G, Potenta S, Kung J, Zhuang H, Alavi A. 18F-FDG PET in evaluation of adrenal lesions in patients with lung cancer. J Nucl Med. 2004 Dec;45(12):2058-2062. Pubmedid: 15585482.
- El-Haddad G, Chamroonrat W, Houseni M, Alavi A, Zhuang H. Beware of mosquitoes: the first instance of a mosquito bite detected by fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography. Pediatr Dermatol. 24(3):344-345. Pubmedid: 17542908.