Find a Doctor
Ghassan El-Haddad, MD
Specialty: Interventional Radiology
Program: Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Radiology
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Anal Cancer, Appendiceal (Appendix) Cancer, Bladder Cancer , Cholangiocarcinoma (Bile Duct Cancer), Colon Cancer, Colorectal Cancer , Esophageal Cancer , Gallbladder Cancer , Gastrointestinal Carcinoid Tumor , GIST (Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor) , Kidney (Renal Cell) Cancer , Liver Cancer , Neuroendocrine Tumor , Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma , Pancreatic Cancer , Penile Cancer, Prostate Cancer , Rectal Cancer , Small Intestine Cancer , Stomach (Gastric) Cancer , Testicular Cancer
Dr. Ghassan El-Haddad is the Section Head for the Radionuclide Therapy Program at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute. He is an Associate Member in the Diagnostic Imaging & Interventional Radiology Program, and Cancer Physiology Program at Moffitt Cancer Center and an Associate Professor of Oncologic Sciences at the University of South Florida in Tampa, FL. Dr. El-Haddad received his medical degree from the Lebanese University in Beirut, Lebanon. After an internship at SUNY Upstate Medical University, he completed his residency in Nuclear Medicine as well as a fellowship in Nuclear Oncology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA. Following 2 years of practice at the PET center of the Biomedical Research Foundation of Northwest Louisiana, he completed a Radiology Residency at St Vincent's Medical Center/University of Connecticut in Bridgeport, CT, followed by a fellowship in Vascular and Interventional Radiology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. He is double board certified by the American Board of Nuclear Medicine (ABNM) and the American Board of Radiology (ABR). He is member of the Board of Directors of the ABNM. He is a founding member of the Society of Interventional Oncology (SIO), an active member of multiple medical societies, including the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (SNMMI), Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR), American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS), Florida Society of Clinical Oncology (FLASCO), and corresponding member of the European Society of Radiology (ESR). He is a member of the Targeted Radioisotope Therapy Outreach Working Group for the SNMMI, as well as a member of several committees including the Nuclear Medicine/Molecular Imaging Scientific Program Subcommittee for the ARRS and International Education Division for SIO. He is an investigator/co-investigator on several phase I/II and phase III multicenter randomized clinical trials. His research interests include development of novel targeted and minimally invasive image-guided cancer therapies. Dr. El-Haddad's clinical interests are to promote the role of individualized image-guided therapies as part of a multidisciplinary approach to provide the most effective treatment for patients with cancer while maintaining an optimal quality of life. He is specialized in minimally invasive interventional oncology procedures and targeted radionuclide therapy. His expertise includes thermal ablation of primary and metastatic liver and renal tumors (microwave ablation, radiofrequency ablation, cryoablation and nano-knife ablation), embolization of tumors (bland embolization, chemoembolization and radioembolization), lymphangiography and thoracic duct embolization, radio-immunotherapy for lymphoma, alpha targeted therapy for metastatic prostate cancer and peptide receptor radionuclide therapy for metastatic neuroendocrine tumors.
Education & Training
- Nuclear Medicine
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - Nuclear Oncology
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia/Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - Pediatric Nuclear Medicine
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - Vascular and Interventional Radiology
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - Nuclear Medicine
- St. Vincent's Medical Center/University of Connecticut - Radiology
- Lebanese University, Lebanon(MD, - MD)
CLINICAL TRIAL 18741
Randomized Embolization Trial for NeuroEndocrine Tumor Metastases To The Liver (RETNET): A Phase 3 Randomized Multicenter Trial to Compare Hepatic Progression-Free Survival Following Bland Embolization, Lipiodol Chemoembolization, and Drug-Eluting Bead Chemoembolization of Neuroendocrine Liver Metastases
Condition: Gastrointestinal Tumor
Intervention: Adriamycin (doxorubicin); Not Applicable (); doxorubicin ()
- Strosberg JR, Al-Toubah T, Pellè E, Smith J, Haider M, Hutchinson T, Fleming JB, El-Haddad G. Risk of bowel obstruction in patients with mesenteric/peritoneal disease receiving peptide receptor radionuclide therapy (PRRT). J Nucl Med. 2020 May. Pubmedid: 32444368.
- Kayaleh R, Krzyston H, Rishi A, Naziri J, Frakes J, Choi J, El-Haddad G, Parikh N, Sweeney J, Kis B. Transarterial Radioembolization Treatment of Pancreatic Cancer Patients with Liver-Dominant Metastatic Disease Using Yttrium-90 Glass Microspheres: A Single-Institution Retrospective Study. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2020 Jun.31(7):1060-1068. Pubmedid: 32534978.
- Bhutani MS, Klapman JB, Tuli R, El-Haddad G, Hoffe S, Wong FCL, Chasen B, Fogelman DR, Lo SK, Nissen NN, Hendifar AE, Varadhachary G, Katz MHG, Erwin WD, Koay EJ, Tamm EP, Singh BS, Mehta R, Wolff RA, Soman A, Cazacu IM, Herman JM. An open-label, single-arm pilot study of EUS-guided brachytherapy with phosphorus-32 microparticles in combination with gemcitabine +/- nab-paclitaxel in unresectable locally advanced pancreatic cancer (OncoPaC-1): Technical details and study protocol. Endosc Ultrasound. 2020 Jan.9(1):24-30. Pubmedid: 31670288. Pmcid: PMC7038730.
- Majdalany BS, El-Haddad G. Contemporary lymphatic interventions for post-operative lymphatic leaks. Transl Androl Urol. 2020 Jan.9(Suppl 1):S104-S113. Pubmedid: 32055491. Pmcid: PMC6995849.
- Hope TA, Bodei L, Chan JA, El-Haddad G, Fidelman N, Kunz PL, Mailman J, Menda Y, Metz DC, Mittra ES, Pryma DA, Reidy-Lagunes DL, Singh S, Strosberg JR. NANETS/SNMMI Consensus Statement on Patient Selection and Appropriate Use of Lu-DOTATATE Peptide Receptor Radionuclide Therapy. J Nucl Med. 2020 Feb.61(2):222-227. Pubmedid: 32015164.
- Lam MGEH, Hunt SJ, El-Haddad GE, Alavi A. Evolving Role of PET in Interventional Radiology-Based Oncology Procedures. PET Clin. 2019 Oct.14(4):xiii-xxiv. Pubmedid: 31472747.
- Das S, Al-Toubah T, El-Haddad G, Strosberg J. 177Lu-DOTATATE for the treatment of gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019 Oct.13(11):1023-1031. Pubmedid: 31652074. Pmcid: PMC7227421.
- Sweeney J, Parikh N, El-Haddad G, Kis B. Ablation of Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma. Semin Intervent Radiol. 2019 Oct.36(4):298-302. Pubmedid: 31680720. Pmcid: PMC6823041.
- Tafreshi NK, Doligalski ML, Tichacek CJ, Pandya DN, Budzevich MM, El-Haddad G, Khushalani NI, Moros EG, McLaughlin ML, Wadas TJ, Morse DL. Development of Targeted Alpha Particle Therapy for Solid Tumors. Molecules. 2019 Nov.24(23). Pubmedid: 31779154. Pmcid: PMC6930656.
- Haider M, Al-Toubah T, El-Haddad G, Strosberg J. Molecular imaging and radionuclide therapy of neuroendocrine tumors. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2019 Nov.27(1):16-21. Pubmedid: 31789833.
- Chatzkel J, Mocha J, Smith J, Zhou JM, Kim Y, El-Haddad G, Zhang J. Circulating tumor cells and γH2AX as biomarkers for responsiveness to radium-223 in advanced prostate cancer patients. Future Sci OA. 2019 Dec.6(1):FSO437. Pubmedid: 31915536. Pmcid: PMC6920735.
- Tafreshi NK, Tichacek CJ, Pandya DN, Doligalski ML, Budzevich MM, Kil H, Bhatt NB, Kock ND, Messina JL, Ruiz EE, Delva NC, Weaver A, Gibbons WR, Boulware DC, Khushalani NI, El-Haddad G, Triozzi PL, Moros EG, McLaughlin ML, Wadas T, Morse D. Melanocortin 1 Receptor-Targeted α-Particle Therapy for Metastatic Uveal Melanoma. J Nucl Med. 2019 Aug.60(8):1124-1133. Pubmedid: 30733316. Pmcid: PMC6681690.
- Devulapalli KK, Fidelman N, Soulen MC, Miller M, Johnson MS, Addo E, El-Haddad G, Nutting C, Morrison J, Farsad K, Lokken RP, Gaba RC, Fleming J, Brown DB, Kwan SW, Rose SC, Pennycooke KA, Liu DM, White SB, Gandhi R, Lazar AA, Kerlan RK. Y Radioembolization for Hepatic Malignancy in Patients with Previous Biliary Intervention: Multicenter Analysis of Hepatobiliary Infections. Radiology. 2018 Sep.288(3):774-781. Pubmedid: 29737954.
- Addo E, Kong MJ, El-Haddad G. Embolization-sclerotherapy of a refractory large volume post-operative pelvic lymphocele. Urol Case Rep. 2018 Sep.20:43-44. Pubmedid: 29988753. Pmcid: PMC6031223.
- Mohammadi H, Abuodeh Y, Jin W, Frakes J, Friedman M, Biebel B, Choi J, El-Haddad G, Kis B, Sweeney J, Hoffe S. Using the Albumin-Bilirubin (ALBI) grade as a prognostic marker for radioembolization of hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2018 Oct.9(5):840-846. Pubmedid: 30505583. Pmcid: PMC6219966.
- Frakes JM, Abuodeh YA, Naghavi AO, Echevarria MI, Shridhar R, Friedman M, Kim R, El-Haddad G, Kis B, Biebel B, Sweeney J, Choi J, Anaya D, Giuliano AR, Hoffe SE. Viral hepatitis associated hepatocellular carcinoma outcomes with yttrium-90 radioembolization. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2018 Jun.9(3):546-552. Pubmedid: 29998020. Pmcid: PMC6006034.
- Majdalany BS, Khayat M, Downing T, Killoran TP, El-Haddad G, Khaja MS, Saad WA. Lymphatic interventions for isolated, iatrogenic chylous ascites: A multi-institution experience. Eur J Radiol. 2018 Dec;109:41-47. Pubmedid: 30527310.
- Gangi A, Shah J, Hatfield N, Smith J, Sweeney J, Choi J, El-Haddad G, Biebel B, Parikh N, Arslan B, Hoffe SE, Frakes JM, Springett GM, Anaya DA, Malafa M, Chen DT, Chen Y, Kim RD, Shridhar R, Kis B. Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma Treated with Transarterial Yttrium-90 Glass Microsphere Radioembolization: Results of a Single Institution Retrospective Study. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2018 Aug;29(8):1101-1108. Pubmedid: 30042074.
- Kis B, El-Haddad G, Sheth RA, Parikh NS, Ganguli S, Shyn PB, Choi J, Brown KT. Liver-Directed Therapies for Hepatocellular Carcinoma and Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma. Cancer Control. 2017 Jul.24(3). Pubmedid: 28975829. Pmcid: PMC5937250.
- Chen JX, Rose S, White SB, El-Haddad G, Fidelman N, Yarmohammadi H, Hwang W, Sze DY, Kothary N, Stashek K, Wileyto EP, Salem R, Metz DC, Soulen MC. Embolotherapy for Neuroendocrine Tumor Liver Metastases: Prognostic Factors for Hepatic Progression-Free Survival and Overall Survival. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2017 Jan;40(1):69-80. Pubmedid: 27738818.
- Strosberg J, El-Haddad G, Wolin E, Hendifar A, Yao J, Chasen B, Mittra E, Kunz PL, Kulke MH, Jacene H, Bushnell D, O'Dorisio TM, Baum RP, Kulkarni HR, Caplin M, Lebtahi R, Hobday T, Delpassand E, Van Cutsem E, Benson A, Srirajaskanthan R, Pavel M, Mora J, Berlin J, Grande E, Reed N, Seregni E, Öberg K, Lopera Sierra M, Santoro P, Thevenet T, Erion JL, Ruszniewski P, Kwekkeboom D, Krenning E. Phase 3 Trial of Lu-Dotatate for Midgut Neuroendocrine Tumors. N Engl J Med. 2017 Jan.376(2):125-135. Pubmedid: 28076709. Pmcid: PMC5895095.
- Kis B, Shah J, Choi J, El-Haddad G, Sweeney J, Biebel B, Mellon E, Frakes JM, Hoffe SE, Fishman MN, Shridhar R. Transarterial Yttrium-90 Radioembolization Treatment of Patients with Liver-Dominant Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2017 Feb;28(2):254-259. Pubmedid: 27955832.
- Mills M, Choi J, El-Haddad G, Sweeney J, Biebel B, Robinson L, Antonia S, Kumar A, Kis B. Retrospective analysis of technical success rate and procedure-related complications of 867 percutaneous CT-guided needle biopsies of lung lesions. Clin Radiol. 2017 Dec.72(12):1038-1046. Pubmedid: 28851490.
- Abuodeh Y, Ahmed K, Echevarria M, Naghavi A, Grass GD, Robinson TJ, Tomblyn M, Shah B, Chavez J, Bello C, El-Haddad G, Harrison L, Kim S. Priming radioimmunotherapy with external beam radiation in patients with relapsed low grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Ther Adv Hematol. 2017 Apr.8(4):129-138. Pubmedid: 28491264. Pmcid: PMC5405899.
- Mohammadi H, Abuodeh YA, Jin W, Frakes JM, Friedman M, Biebel B, Choi J, El-Haddad GE, Kis B, Sweeney J, Kim R, Pimiento JM, Malafa MP, Anaya D, Hoffe SE. Using the ALBI Grade as a Prognostic Marker for Radioembolization of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016 Oct;96(2S):E194-E195.
- El-Haddad G. PET-Based Percutaneous Needle Biopsy. PET Clin. 2016 Jul;11(3):333-349. Pubmedid: 27321036.
- Abuodeh Y, Naghavi AO, Ahmed KA, Venkat PS, Kim Y, Kis B, Choi J, Biebel B, Sweeney J, Anaya DA, Kim R, Malafa M, Frakes JM, Hoffe SE, El-Haddad G. Prognostic value of pre-treatment F-18-FDG PET-CT in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma undergoing radioembolization. World J Gastroenterol. 2016 Dec.22(47):10406-10414. Pubmedid: 28058021. Pmcid: PMC5175253.
- Ahmed KA, Caudell JJ, El-Haddad G, Berglund AE, Welsh EA, Yue B, Hoffe SE, Naghavi AO, Abuodeh YA, Frakes JM, Eschrich SA, Torres-Roca JF. Radiosensitivity Differences Between Liver Metastases Based on Primary Histology Suggest Implications for Clinical Outcomes After Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016 Aug.95(5):1399-1404. Pubmedid: 27319288.
- Abbott AM, Kim R, Hoffe SE, Arslan B, Biebel B, Choi J, El-Haddad G, Kis B, Sweeney J, Meredith KL, Almhanna K, Strosberg J, Shibata D, Fulp WJ, Shridhar R. Outcomes of Therasphere Radioembolization for Colorectal Metastases. Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2015 Sep;14(3):146-153. Pubmedid: 25795047.
- Samim M, El-Haddad GE, Molenaar IQ, Prevoo W, van den Bosch MA, Alavi A, Lam MG. [18F]Fluorodeoxyglucose PET for Interventional Oncology in Liver Malignancy. PET Clin. 2014 Oct;9(4):469-95, vi. Pubmedid: 26050948.
- Mathew AS, El-Haddad G, Lilien DL, Takalkar AM. Costosternal chondrodynia simulating recurrent breast cancer unveiled by FDG PET. Clin Nucl Med. 2008 May;33(5):330-332. Pubmedid: 18431146.
- Takalkar AM, El-Haddad G, Lilien DL, Patterson JC. Simultaneous demonstration of metabolic lesions consistent with Alzheimer disease and brain metastases on FDG-PET imaging. Clin Nucl Med. 2008 Jun;33(6):438-440. Pubmedid: 18496460.
- Servaes S, El-Haddad G, Zhuang H. Intense octreotide activity in a thrombus. Clin Nucl Med. 2008 Feb;33(2):140-141. Pubmedid: 18209542.
- Takalkar AM, Bruno GL, Makanjoula AJ, El-Haddad G, Lilien DL, Payne DK. A Potential Role for F-18 FDG PET/CT in Evaluation and Management of Fibrosing Mediastinitis. Clin Nucl Med. 2007 Sep;32(9):703-706. Pubmedid: 17710023.
- El-Haddad G, Chamroonrat W, Houseni M, Alavi A, Zhuang H. Beware of mosquitoes: the first instance of a mosquito bite detected by fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography. Pediatr Dermatol. 2007 May;24(3):344-345. Pubmedid: 17542908.
- Yang H, Bathaii M, Houseni M, El-Haddad G, Zhuang H, Alavi A, Araujo L. False-positive reversible septal myocardial perfusion defect caused by diaphragmatic hernia. Clin Nucl Med. 2007 Mar;32(3):231-233. Pubmedid: 17314607.
- Mahne A, El-Haddad G, Alavi A, Houseni M, Moonis G, Mong A, Hernandez-Pampaloni M, Torigian DA. Assessment of age-related morphological and functional changes of selected structures of the head and neck by computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, and positron emission tomography. Semin Nucl Med. 2007 Mar;37(2):88-102. Pubmedid: 17289457.
- Prasad S, El-Haddad G, Zhuang H, Khella S. Intracranial hypotension following chiropractic spinal manipulation. Headache. 2006 Oct;46(9):1456-1458. Pubmedid: 17040344.
- Bural GG, Torigian DA, Chamroonrat W, Alkhawaldeh K, Houseni M, El-Haddad G, Alavi A. Quantitative assessment of the atherosclerotic burden of the aorta by combined FDG-PET and CT image analysis: a new concept. Nucl Med Biol. 2006 Nov;33(8):1037-1043. Pubmedid: 17127178.
- Chamroonrat W, Zhuang H, Houseni M, Mavi A, El-Haddad G, Bhutain C, Alavi A. Malignant lesions can mimic gastric uptake on FDG PET. Clin Nucl Med. 2006 Jan;31(1):37-38. Pubmedid: 16374124.
- El-Haddad G, Kumar R, Pamplona R, Alavi A. PET/MRI depicts the exact location of meniscal tear associated with synovitis. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2006 Apr;33(4):507-508. Pubmedid: 16496195.
- El-Haddad G, Alavi A, Zhuang H. Value of 18-Fluoro-2-Deoxyglucose PET in the Management of Patients with Fever of Unknown Origin. PET Clin. 2006 Apr;1(2):163-177. Pubmedid: 27157082.
- Yu JQ, Zhuang H, Xiu Y, El-Haddad G, Kumar R, Alavi A. Small urine leak after renal transplantation: detection by delayed 99mTc-DTPA renography--a case report. J Nucl Med Technol. 2005 Mar;33(1):31-33. Pubmedid: 15731018.
- Chamroonrat W, Posteraro A, El-Haddad G, Zhuang H, Alavi A. Radiation myelopathy visualized as increased FDG uptake on positron emission tomography. Clin Nucl Med. 2005 Aug;30(8):560. Pubmedid: 16024956.
- Kumar R, Xiu Y, Mavi A, El-Haddad G, Zhuang H, Alavi A. FDG-PET imaging in primary bilateral adrenal lymphoma: a case report and review of the literature. Clin Nucl Med. 2005 Apr;30(4):222-230. Pubmedid: 15764875.
- El-Haddad G, Zhuang H, Gupta N, Alavi A. Evolving role of positron emission tomography in the management of patients with inflammatory and other benign disorders. Semin Nucl Med. 2004 Oct.34(4):313-329. Pubmedid: 15493008.
- El-Haddad G, Alavi A, Mavi A, Bural G, Zhuang H. Normal variants in [18F]-fluorodeoxyglucose PET imaging. Radiol Clin North Am. 2004 Nov;42(6):1063-81, viii. Pubmedid: 15488558.
- Kumar R, Xiu Y, Yu JQ, Takalkar A, El-Haddad G, Potenta S, Kung J, Zhuang H, Alavi A. 18F-FDG PET in evaluation of adrenal lesions in patients with lung cancer. J Nucl Med. 2004 Dec;45(12):2058-2062. Pubmedid: 15585482.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.