Find a Doctor
Elizabeth Sagatys, MD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Hodgkin Lymphoma , Leukemia , MDS, Multiple Myeloma-Plasma Cell Tumor , Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS) , Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
Dr. Elizabeth Sagatys completed her undergraduate education in biology and chemistry at New College of Florida. She received her medical degree from the University of South Florida College of Medicine, residency in anatomic and clinical pathology at the University of South Florida College of Medicine, and fellowships in oncologic surgical pathology and hematopathology at Moffitt Cancer Center. She is certified by the American Board of Pathology in Anatomic Pathology, Clinical Pathology and Hematology (Pathology). Dr. Sagatys has been a practicing hematopathologist at Moffitt Cancer Center since 2009. Her areas of clinical interest include myeloid disorders, flow cytometry and HLA typing. Dr. Sagatys teaches in multiple courses at the USF Morsani College of Medicine and has served as preceptor to numerous medical students, residents and fellows. She is the assistant program director for the Moffitt Cancer Center Hematopathology Fellowship. She serves as the medical director for the clinical laboratories at Moffitt International Plaza (MIP) and the McKinley Campus locations. Her areas of research interest include immune regulation in stem cell transplant and laboratory quality improvement. She is the founder of the Tampa Bay Hematopathology Society. She serves on several departmental, hospital and university committees.
Education & Training
- Anatomic Pathology & Clinical Pathology
- Moffitt Cancer Center - Hematopathology
- Moffitt Cancer Center - Oncologic Surgical Pathology
- University of South Florida College of Medicine - Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- University of South Florida College of Medicine(MD, - MD)
- Shrestha B, Walton K, Reff J, Sagatys EM, Tu N, Boucher JC, Li G, Ghafoor T, Felices M, Miller J, Pidala J, Blazar BR, Anasetti C, Betts BC, Davila ML. Human CD83-targeted chimeric antigen receptor T cells prevent and treat graft-versus-host disease. J Clin Invest. 2020 May. Pubmedid: 32437331.
- Walton K, Fernandez MR, Sagatys EM, Reff J, Kim J, Lee MC, Kiluk JV, Hui JYC, McKenna D, Hupp M, Forster C, Linden MA, Lawrence NJ, Lawrence HR, Pidala J, Pavletic SZ, Blazar BR, Sebti SM, Cleveland JL, Anasetti C, Betts BC. Metabolic reprogramming augments potency of human pSTAT3-inhibited iTregs to suppress alloreactivity. JCI Insight. 2020 Apr.5(9). Pubmedid: 32255769. Pmcid: PMC7253027.
- Kis B, Mills M, Smith J, Choi J, Sagatys E, Komrokji R, Strosberg J, Kim RD. Partial Splenic Artery Embolization in 35 Cancer Patients: Results of a Single Institution Retrospective Study. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2019 Aug.31(4):584-591. Pubmedid: 31471193.
- Sallman DA, Brayer J, Sagatys EM, Lonez C, Breman E, Agaugué S, Verma B, Gilham DE, Lehmann FF, Davila ML. NKG2D-based chimeric antigen receptor therapy induced remission in a relapsed/refractory acute myeloid leukemia patient. Haematologica. 2018 Sep;103(9):e424-e426. Pubmedid: 29703727. Pmcid: PMC6119132.
- Pidala J, Beato F, Kim J, Betts B, Jim H, Sagatys E, Levine JE, Ferrara JL, Ozbek U, Ayala E, Davila M, Fernandez HF, Field T, Kharfan-Dabaja MA, Khaira D, Khimani F, Locke FL, Mishra A, Nieder M, Nishihori T, Perez L, Riches M, Anasetti C. IL-12/IL-23p40 neutralization blocks Th1/Th17 response after allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation. Haematologica. 2018 Mar;103(3):531-539. Pubmedid: 29242294. Pmcid: PMC5830373.
- Betts BC, Bastian D, Iamsawat S, Nguyen H, Heinrichs JL, Wu Y, Daenthanasanmak A, Veerapathran A, O'Mahony A, Walton K, Reff J, Horna P, Sagatys EM, Lee MC, Singer J, Chang YJ, Liu C, Pidala J, Anasetti C, Yu XZ. Targeting JAK2 reduces GVHD and xenograft rejection through regulation of T cell differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018 Feb;115(7):1582-1587. Pubmedid: 29382747. Pmcid: PMC5816153.
- Betts BC, Locke FL, Sagatys EM, Pidala J, Walton K, Menges M, Reff J, Saha A, Djeu JY, Kiluk JV, Lee MC, Kim J, Kang CW, Tang CA, Frieling J, Lynch CC, List A, Rodriguez PC, Blazar BR, Conejo-Garcia JR, Del Valle JR, Hu CA, Anasetti C. Inhibition of Human Dendritic Cell ER Stress Response Reduces T Cell Alloreactivity Yet Spares Donor Anti-tumor Immunity. Front Immunol. 2018 Dec.9:2887. Pubmedid: 30574153. Pmcid: PMC6291501.
- Betts BC, Sagatys EM, Veerapathran A, Lloyd MC, Beato F, Lawrence HR, Yue B, Kim J, Sebti SM, Anasetti C, Pidala J. CD4+ T cell STAT3 phosphorylation precedes acute GVHD, and subsequent Th17 tissue invasion correlates with GVHD severity and therapeutic response. J Leukoc Biol. 2015 Apr;97(4):807-819. Pubmedid: 25663681. Pmcid: PMC4370048.
- Dalia S, Sagatys E, Sokol L, Kubal T. Rosai-Dorfman disease: tumor biology, clinical features, pathology, and treatment. Cancer Control. 2014 Oct;21(4):322-327. Pubmedid: 25310213.
- Dalia S, Shao H, Sagatys E, Cualing H, Sokol L. Dendritic cell and histiocytic neoplasms: biology, diagnosis, and treatment. Cancer Control. 2014 Oct;21(4):290-300. Pubmedid: 25310210.
- Holdener SL, Harrington L, Nguyen J, Horna P, Sagatys E, Shah B, Zhang L. Therapy-related B lymphoblastic leukemia with t(4;11)(q21;q23)/AF4-MLL in a patient with mantle cell lymphoma after recent aggressive chemotherapy: a unique case report. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2014 Mar;7(4):1800-1804. Pubmedid: 24817983. Pmcid: PMC4014267.
- Trimaldi JA, Bowers JW, Bello C, Sagatys EM. Follicular lymphoma with progression to diffuse large B-cell lymphoma and concurrent CD5-negative mantle cell lymphoma-3 entities in a lymph node. Cancer Control. 2014 Jul;21(3):251-254. Pubmedid: 24955711.
- Setoodeh R, Schwartz S, Papenhausen P, Zhang L, Sagatys EM, Moscinski LC, Shao H. Double-hit mantle cell lymphoma with MYC gene rearrangement or amplification: a report of four cases and review of the literature. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2013 Jul;6(2):155-167. Pubmedid: 23330001. Pmcid: PMC3544229.
- Glauser TA, Sagatys EM, Williamson JC, Burton BS, Berger C, Merwin P, Sugrue M, Bennett JM. Current pathology practices in and barriers to MDS diagnosis. Leuk Res. 2013 Dec;37(12):1656-1661. Pubmedid: 24220584.
- Sagatys EM, Zhang L. Clinical and laboratory prognostic indicators in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Cancer Control. 2012 Jan;19(1):18-25. Pubmedid: 22143059.
- Sagatys E, Messina J, Rojiani A. 55-year-old man with a paraspinal mass. Brain Pathol. 2008 Oct;18(4):631-635. Pubmedid: 18782182.
- Condarco T, Sagatys E, Prakash A, Rezania D, Cualing H. Primary cutaneous B-cell lymphoma in a child. Fetal Pediatr Pathol. 2008 Dec;27(4):206-214. Pubmedid: 18800263.
- Sagatys E, Garrett CR, Boulware D, Kelley S, Malafa M, Cheng JQ, Sebti S, Coppola D. Activation of the serine/threonine protein kinase Akt during the progression of Barrett neoplasia. Hum Pathol. 2007 Oct;38(10):1526-1531. Pubmedid: 17640711.
- Saeed S, Sagatys E, Morgan MB. Acral keratosis with eosinophilic dermal deposits: a distinctive clinicopatholgic entity or colloid milium redux?. J Cutan Pathol. 2006 Oct;33(10):679-685. Pubmedid: 17026520.
- Khalil FK, Sagatys E, Morgan MB. What is it? Unusual interstitial fibrohistiocytic tumor or other. Am J Dermatopathxxx. 2004 Jun;26(3):255-256. Pubmedid: 15166520.
- Sagatys E, Kirk JF, Morgan MB. Lymphoid lost and found. Am J Dermatopathxxx. 2003 Apr;25(2):159-161. Pubmedid: 12652200.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.