Find a Doctor
Elizabeth Sagatys, MD
Program: Hematopathology and Laboratory Medicine
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Types Treated: Hodgkin Lymphoma , Leukemia , MDS, Multiple Myeloma-Plasma Cell Tumor , Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS) , Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
Dr. Elizabeth Sagatys completed her undergraduate education in biology and chemistry at New College of Florida. She received her medical degree from the University of South Florida College of Medicine, residency in anatomic and clinical pathology at the University of South Florida College of Medicine, and fellowships in oncologic surgical pathology and hematopathology at Moffitt Cancer Center. She is certified by the American Board of Pathology in Anatomic Pathology, Clinical Pathology and Hematology (Pathology). Dr. Sagatys has been a practicing hematopathologist at Moffitt Cancer Center since 2009. Her areas of clinical interest include myeloid disorders, flow cytometry and HLA typing. Dr. Sagatys teaches in multiple courses at the USF Morsani College of Medicine and has served as preceptor to numerous medical students, residents and fellows. She is the assistant program director for the Moffitt Cancer Center Hematopathology Fellowship. She serves as the medical director for the clinical laboratories at Moffitt International Plaza (MIP) and the McKinley Campus locations. Her areas of research interest include immune regulation in stem cell transplant and laboratory quality improvement. She is the founder of the Tampa Bay Hematopathology Society. She serves on several departmental, hospital and university committees.
Education & Training
- Anatomic Pathology & Clinical Pathology
- Moffitt Cancer Center - Hematopathology
- Moffitt Cancer Center - Oncologic Surgical Pathology
- University of South Florida College of Medicine - Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- University of South Florida College of Medicine - MD
- Sallman DA, Brayer J, Sagatys EM, Lonez C, Breman E, Agaugué S, Verma B, Gilham DE, Lehmann FF, Davila ML. NKG2D-based chimeric antigen receptor therapy induced remission in a relapsed/refractory acute myeloid leukemia patient. Haematologica. 2018 Sep;103(9):e424-e426. Pubmedid: 29703727. Pmcid: PMC6119132.
- Pidala J, Beato F, Kim J, Betts B, Jim H, Sagatys E, Levine JE, Ferrara JL, Ozbek U, Ayala E, Davila M, Fernandez HF, Field T, Kharfan-Dabaja MA, Khaira D, Khimani F, Locke FL, Mishra A, Nieder M, Nishihori T, Perez L, Riches M, Anasetti C. IL-12/IL-23p40 neutralization blocks Th1/Th17 response after allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation. Haematologica. 2018 Mar;103(3):531-539. Pubmedid: 29242294. Pmcid: PMC5830373.
- Betts BC, Bastian D, Iamsawat S, Nguyen H, Heinrichs JL, Wu Y, Daenthanasanmak A, Veerapathran A, O'Mahony A, Walton K, Reff J, Horna P, Sagatys EM, Lee MC, Singer J, Chang YJ, Liu C, Pidala J, Anasetti C, Yu XZ. Targeting JAK2 reduces GVHD and xenograft rejection through regulation of T cell differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2018 Feb;115(7):1582-1587. Pubmedid: 29382747. Pmcid: PMC5816153.
- Betts BC, Sagatys EM, Veerapathran A, Lloyd MC, Beato F, Lawrence HR, Yue B, Kim J, Sebti SM, Anasetti C, Pidala J. CD4+ T cell STAT3 phosphorylation precedes acute GVHD, and subsequent Th17 tissue invasion correlates with GVHD severity and therapeutic response. J Leukoc Biol. 2015 Apr;97(4):807-819. Pubmedid: 25663681. Pmcid: PMC4370048.
- Dalia S, Sagatys E, Sokol L, Kubal T. Rosai-Dorfman disease: tumor biology, clinical features, pathology, and treatment. Cancer Control. 2014 Oct;21(4):322-327. Pubmedid: 25310213.
- Dalia S, Shao H, Sagatys E, Cualing H, Sokol L. Dendritic cell and histiocytic neoplasms: biology, diagnosis, and treatment. Cancer Control. 2014 Oct;21(4):290-300. Pubmedid: 25310210.
- Trimaldi JA, Bowers JW, Bello C, Sagatys EM. Follicular lymphoma with progression to diffuse large B-cell lymphoma and concurrent CD5-negative mantle cell lymphoma-3 entities in a lymph node. Cancer Control. 2014 Jul;21(3):251-254. Pubmedid: 24955711.
- Holdener SL, Harrington L, Nguyen J, Horna P, Sagatys E, Shah B, Zhang L. Therapy-related B lymphoblastic leukemia with t(4;11)(q21;q23)/AF4-MLL in a patient with mantle cell lymphoma after recent aggressive chemotherapy: a unique case report. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2014;7(4):1800-1804. Pubmedid: 24817983. Pmcid: PMC4014267.
- Setoodeh R, Schwartz S, Papenhausen P, Zhang L, Sagatys EM, Moscinski LC, Shao H. Double-hit mantle cell lymphoma with MYC gene rearrangement or amplification: a report of four cases and review of the literature. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2013 Jul;6(2):155-167. Pubmedid: 23330001. Pmcid: PMC3544229.
- Glauser TA, Sagatys EM, Williamson JC, Burton BS, Berger C, Merwin P, Sugrue M, Bennett JM. Current pathology practices in and barriers to MDS diagnosis. Leuk Res. 2013 Dec;37(12):1656-1661. Pubmedid: 24220584.
- Sagatys EM, Zhang L. Clinical and laboratory prognostic indicators in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Cancer Control. 2012 Jan;19(1):18-25. Pubmedid: 22143059.
- Sagatys E, Messina J, Rojiani A. 55-year-old man with a paraspinal mass. Brain Pathol. 2008 Oct;18(4):631-635. Pubmedid: 18782182.
- Condarco T, Sagatys E, Prakash A, Rezania D, Cualing H. Primary cutaneous B-cell lymphoma in a child. Fetal Pediatr Pathol. 2008 Dec;27(4):206-214. Pubmedid: 18800263.
- Sagatys E, Garrett CR, Boulware D, Kelley S, Malafa M, Cheng JQ, Sebti S, Coppola D. Activation of the serine/threonine protein kinase Akt during the progression of Barrett neoplasia. Hum Pathol. 2007 Oct;38(10):1526-1531. Pubmedid: 17640711.
- Saeed S, Sagatys E, Morgan MB. Acral keratosis with eosinophilic dermal deposits: a distinctive clinicopatholgic entity or colloid milium redux?. J Cutan Pathol. 2006 Oct;33(10):679-685. Pubmedid: 17026520.
- Khalil FK, Sagatys E, Morgan MB. What is it? Unusual interstitial fibrohistiocytic tumor or other. Am J Dermatopathol. 2004 Jun;26(3):255-256. Pubmedid: 15166520.
- Sagatys E, Kirk JF, Morgan MB. Lymphoid lost and found. Am J Dermatopathol. 2003 Apr;25(2):159-161. Pubmedid: 12652200.