Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
Find a Doctor
David Joyce, MD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Osteosarcoma , Sarcoma
Dr. David Joyce is an Assistant Member in the Sarcoma Department. Dr. Joyce earned his MD degree from Case Western Reserve University, Case School of Medicine in Cleveland, Ohio. He completed an Orthopaedic Residency at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Ohio and an Orthopaedic Trauma Fellowship at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee. He most recently completed a Musculoskeletal Oncology Fellowship at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Joyce’s clinical interests include bone and soft tissue sarcoma in the pelvis and extremities, limb salvage surgery, pelvic bone resection and reconstruction, metastatic bone disease and pathologic fracture, basic fracture care, primary and revision total hip and knee arthroplasty, and other adult reconstructive procedures unique in cancer patients. His research interests include endoprosthetic reconstruction after tumor resection, metastatic bone treatment, and technology and computer-assisted resection and reconstruction.
Education & Training
- Vanderbilt University - Orthopaedic Trauma
- Moffitt Cancer Center - Orthopaedic Oncology
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation - Orthopaedics
- Case Western Reserve University: Case School of Medicine - MD
- Broman KK, Joyce D, Binitie O, Letson GD, Gonzalez RJ, Choi J, Mullinax JE. Intraoperative Localization Using an Implanted Radar Reflector Facilitates Resection of Non-Palpable Trunk and Extremity Sarcoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2020 Oct. Pubmedid: 33073344.
- Gerhardt CA, Belzarena AC, Henderson-Jackson E, Mullinax JE, Joyce DM. Intrapelvic melanocytic schwannoma resection with computer-assisted navigation. Radiol Case Rep. 2020 Nov.15(11):2385-2390. Pubmedid: 32994847. Pmcid: PMC7516168.
- Piakong P, Kiatisevi P, Yau R, Trovarelli G, Lam YL, Joyce D, Ruggieri P, Temple HT, Letson D, Binitie O. What Is the 10-year Survivorship of Cemented Distal Femoral Endoprostheses for Tumor Reconstructions and What Radiographic Features Are Associated with Survival?. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2020 May.478(11):2573-2581. Pubmedid: 32469487. Pmcid: PMC7594923.
- Belzarena AC, Paladino LP, Henderson-Jackson E, Joyce DM. Intraosseous lipoma of the clavicle with extraosseous extension. Radiol Case Rep. 2020 Jun.15(6):716-721. Pubmedid: 32280406. Pmcid: PMC7139142.
- Rizk VT, Naghavi AO, Brohl AS, Joyce DM, Binitie O, Kim Y, Hanna JP, Swank J, Gonzalez RJ, Reed DR, Druta M. Chemotherapy improves distant control in localized high-grade soft tissue sarcoma of the extremity/trunk. Clin Sarcoma Res. 2020 Jul.10:11. Pubmedid: 32670544. Pmcid: PMC7350709.
- Ackerman RS, Hirschi M, Trona N, Joyce DM, Evans T, Patel SY. Incidence of Thromboembolic Events in Oncology Patients Receiving Intraoperative Tranexamic Acid During Orthopedic Surgery: A Retrospective Review at a Comprehensive Cancer Center. A A Pract. 2019 Nov.14(2):63-66. Pubmedid: 31703004.
- Paladino LP, Belzarena AC, Henderson-Jackson E, Joyce DM. Metastatic vertebral lesion mimicking an atypical hemangioma with negative 18F-FDG positron emission tomography-computed tomography. Radiol Case Rep. 2019 Nov.14(11):1401-1406. Pubmedid: 31700555. Pmcid: PMC6823801.
- Belzarena AC, Wright M, Joyce DM. A case of a myxoma within the obturator externus muscle. Radiol Case Rep. 2019 May.14(7):872-875. Pubmedid: 31193120. Pmcid: PMC6517614.
- Belzarena AC, Makanji RJ, Joyce DM. Recurrent parachordoma of the lower back: A case report. Radiol Case Rep. 2019 Jan.14(1):94-96. Pubmedid: 30386446. Pmcid: PMC6205874.
- Avilucea FR, Joyce D, Mir HR. Dynamic Stress Fluoroscopy for Evaluation of the Femoral Neck After Intramedullary Nails: Improved Sensitivity for Identifying Occult Fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2019 Feb.33(2):88-91. Pubmedid: 30489429.
- Hicks JK, Henderson-Jackson E, Duggan J, Joyce DM, Brohl AS. Identification of a novel MTAP-RAF1 fusion in a soft tissue sarcoma. Diagn Pathol. 2018 Oct.13(1):77. Pubmedid: 30314519. Pmcid: PMC6186031.
- Greenberg SE, Ihejirika RC, Sathiyakumar V, Lang MF, Estevez-Ordonez D, Prablek MA, Chern AY, Thakore RV, Obremskey WT, Joyce D, Sethi MK. Ankle Fractures and Modality of Hospital Transport at a Single Level 1 Trauma Center: Does Transport by Helicopter or Ground Ambulance Influence the Incidence of Complications?. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2016 May.54(5):826-829. Pubmedid: 25840759.
- Mesko NW, Joyce DM, Ilaslan H, Joyce MJ. Creating an Intraoperative MRI Suite for the Musculoskeletal Tumor Center. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016 Jun.474(6):1516-1522. Pubmedid: 26183844. Pmcid: PMC4868174.
- Sathiyakumar V, Shi H, Thakore RV, Lee YM, Joyce D, Ehrenfeld J, Obremskey WT, Sethi MK. Isolated sacral injuries: Postoperative length of stay, complications, and readmission. World J Orthop. 2015 Sep.6(8):629-635. Pubmedid: 26396939. Pmcid: PMC4573507.
- Thakore RV, Greenberg SE, Sathiyakumar V, Prablek MA, Elmashat D, Hinson JK, Joyce D, Obremskey WT, Sethi MK. Asking for the 22-modifier in isolated ankle fractures: does the operative note make the case?. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2015 Nov.54(2):192-197. Pubmedid: 25242207.
- Joyce DM, Klika AK, Mutnal A, Krebs V, Molloy R, Knothe U, Barsoum WK. Prospective randomised evaluation of a collagen/thrombin and autologous platelet haemostatic agent during cementless total hip arthroplasty. Blood Transfus. 2015 Jul.13(3):455-463. Pubmedid: 26057484. Pmcid: PMC4614299.
- Bloomfield MR, Klika AK, Lee HH, Joyce DM, Mehta P, Barsoum WK. Predictors of bone loss in revision total knee arthroplasty. J Knee Surg. 2010 Mar.23(1):51-55. Pubmedid: 20812582.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.