Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
Find a Doctor
Celeste Bello, MD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Hodgkin Lymphoma , Leukemia , Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
Dr. Celeste Bello is a double board-certified hematologist and medical oncologist at Moffitt Cancer Center. She joined the faculty at Moffitt Cancer Center in 2008 after completing her fellowship at the University of South Florida. Dr. Bello has developed special expertise in managing patients with Hodgkin’s and non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas, a special category within the broader group of hematologic (blood) malignancies. Examples of non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas include follicular lymphoma, marginal zone lymphoma, small lymphocytic lymphoma, diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, and mantle cell lymphoma. She is a current member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network Hodgkin lymphoma guidelines panel. She also specializes in treating patients with central nervous system lymphomas. Dr. Bello is an active researcher in the field and can often offer her patients several options for clinical trials in addition to the standard therapies. She is very involved with the education of medical students and residents at the University of South Florida and at Moffitt Cancer Center. She is also a frequent lecturer on lymphomas for both medical and lay audiences, including presenting at Lymphoma Research Foundation events.
Education & Training
- Medical Oncology
- University of South Florida - Hematology/Oncology
- University of South Florida - Internal Medicine
- University of South Florida - MD
- Hoppe RT, Advani RH, Ai WZ, Ambinder RF, Armand P, Bello CM, Benitez CM, Bierman PJ, Boughan KM, Dabaja B, Gordon LI, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri FJ, Herrera AF, Hochberg EP, Huang J, Johnston PB, Kaminski MS, Kenkre VP, Khan N, Lynch RC, Maddocks K, McConathy J, McKinney M, Metzger M, Morgan D, Mulroney C, Rabinovitch R, Rosenspire KC, Seropian S, Tao R, Winter JN, Yahalom J, Burns JL, Ogba N. Hodgkin Lymphoma, Version 2.2020, NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2020 Jun.18(6):755-781. Pubmedid: 32502987.
- Rose A, Grajales-Cruz A, Lim A, Todd A, Bello C, Shah B, Chavez J, Pinilla-Ibartz J, Saeed H, Sandoval-Sus J, Isenalumhe L, Sokol L. Classical Hodgkin Lymphoma: Clinicopathologic Features, Prognostic Factors, and Outcomes From a 28-Year Single Institutional Experience. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2020 Aug. Pubmedid: 32950461.
- Mirza AS, Dholaria BR, Hussaini M, Mushtaq S, Horna P, Ravindran A, Kumar A, Ayala E, Kharfan-Dabaja MA, Bello C, Chavez JC, Sokol L. High-dose Therapy and Autologous Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation as Consolidation Treatment for Primary Effusion Lymphoma. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2019 Sep.19(9):e513-e520. Pubmedid: 31253594.
- Abramson JS, Arnason JE, LaCasce AS, Redd R, Barnes JA, Sokol L, Joyce R, Avigan D, Neuberg D, Takvorian RW, Hochberg EP, Bello CM. Brentuximab vedotin, doxorubicin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine for nonbulky limited-stage classical Hodgkin lymphoma. Blood. 2019 Aug.134(7):606-613. Pubmedid: 31186274.
- Hoppe RT, Advani RH, Ai WZ, Ambinder RF, Aoun P, Armand P, Bello CM, Benitez CM, Bierman PJ, Chen R, Dabaja B, Dean R, Forero A, Gordon LI, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri FJ, Hochberg EP, Huang J, Johnston PB, Kaminski MS, Kenkre VP, Khan N, Maddocks K, Maloney DG, Metzger M, Moore JO, Morgan D, Moskowitz CH, Mulroney C, Rabinovitch R, Seropian S, Tao R, Winter JN, Yahalom J, Burns JL, Ogba N. NCCN Guidelines Insights: Hodgkin Lymphoma, Version 1.2018. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2018 Mar.16(3):245-254. Pubmedid: 29523663.
- Abuodeh Y, Ahmed K, Echevarria M, Naghavi A, Grass GD, Robinson TJ, Tomblyn M, Shah B, Chavez J, Bello C, El-Haddad G, Harrison L, Kim S. Priming radioimmunotherapy with external beam radiation in patients with relapsed low grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Ther Adv Hematol. 2017 Apr.8(4):129-138. Pubmedid: 28491264. Pmcid: PMC5405899.
- Chavez JC, Sandoval-Sus J, Horna P, Dalia S, Bello C, Chevernick P, Sotomayor EM, Sokol L, Shah B. Lymphomatoid Granulomatosis: A Single Institution Experience and Review of the Literature. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2016 Aug.16 Suppl:S170-S174. Pubmedid: 27521314.
- Hoppe RT, Advani RH, Ai WZ, Ambinder RF, Aoun P, Bello CM, Benitez CM, Bierman PJ, Blum KA, Chen R, Dabaja B, Forero A, Gordon LI, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri FJ, Hochberg EP, Huang J, Johnston PB, Khan N, Maloney DG, Mauch PM, Metzger M, Moore JO, Morgan D, Moskowitz CH, Mulroney C, Poppe M, Rabinovitch R, Seropian S, Tsien C, Winter JN, Yahalom J, Burns JL, Sundar H. Hodgkin lymphoma, version 2.2015. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2015 May.13(5):554-586. Pubmedid: 25964641. Pmcid: PMC4898052.
- Eatrides J, Thompson Z, Lee JH, Bello C, Dalia S. Serum albumin as a stable predictor of prognosis during initial treatment in patients with diffuse large B cell lymphoma. Ann Hematol. 2015 Feb.94(2):357-358. Pubmedid: 25034876.
- Jacobsen ED, Sharman JP, Oki Y, Advani RH, Winter JN, Bello CM, Spitzer G, Palanca-Wessels MC, Kennedy DA, Levine P, Yang J, Bartlett NL. Brentuximab vedotin demonstrates objective responses in a phase 2 study of relapsed/refractory DLBCL with variable CD30 expression. Blood. 2015 Feb.125(9):1394-1402. Pubmedid: 25573987.
- Brown JR, Byrd JC, Coutre SE, Benson DM, Flinn IW, Wagner-Johnston ND, Spurgeon SE, Kahl BS, Bello C, Webb HK, Johnson DM, Peterman S, Li D, Jahn TM, Lannutti BJ, Ulrich RG, Yu AS, Miller LL, Furman RR. Idelalisib, an inhibitor of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase p110δ, for relapsed/refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood. 2014 May.123(22):3390-3397. Pubmedid: 24615777. Pmcid: PMC4123414.
- Trimaldi JA, Bowers JW, Bello C, Sagatys EM. Follicular lymphoma with progression to diffuse large B-cell lymphoma and concurrent CD5-negative mantle cell lymphoma-3 entities in a lymph node. Cancer Control. 2014 Jul.21(3):251-254. Pubmedid: 24955711.
- Dalia S, Chavez J, Little B, Bello C, Fisher K, Lee JH, Chervenick P, Sokol L, Sotomayor E, Shah B. Serum albumin retains independent prognostic significance in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in the post-rituximab era. Ann Hematol. 2014 Aug.93(8):1305-1312. Pubmedid: 24590536.
- Jaglal MV, Duong VH, Bello CM, Al Ali NH, Padron E, Fernandez HF, List AF, Lancet JE, Komrokji RS. Cladribine, cytarabine, filgrastim, and mitoxantrone (CLAG-M) compared to standard induction in acute myeloid leukemia from myelodysplastic syndrome after azanucleoside failure. Leuk Res. 2014 Apr.38(4):443-446. Pubmedid: 24439565.
- Dalia S, Forsyth P, Chavez J, Price S, Shah B, Bello C, Sokol L, Pan E, Sotomayor E, Lee JH, Fisher K, Jaglal M. Primary B-cell CNS lymphoma clinicopathologic and treatment outcomes in 89 patients from a single tertiary care center. Int J Hematol. 2014 Apr.99(4):450-456. Pubmedid: 24584873.
- Patel J, Ho M, Ho V, Bello C, Djulbegovic B, Sokol L, Wetzstein G. Rapid infusion rituximab for maintenance therapy: is it feasible?. Leuk Res Treatment. 2013 Nov.2013:629283. Pubmedid: 24288618. Pmcid: PMC3833187.
- Hoppe RT, Advani RH, Ai WZ, Ambinder RF, Aoun P, Bello CM, Bierman PJ, Blum KA, Chen R, Dabaja B, Duron Y, Forero A, Gordon LI, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri FJ, Hochberg EP, Maloney DG, Mansur D, Mauch PM, Metzger M, Moore JO, Morgan D, Moskowitz CH, Poppe M, Pro B, Winter JN, Yahalom J, Sundar H. Hodgkin lymphoma, version 2.2012 featured updates to the NCCN guidelines. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2012 May.10(5):589-597. Pubmedid: 22570290.
- Bello C, Sokol L. B-cell non-hodgkin lymphoma: targeting in on the future. Cancer Control. 2012 Jul.19(3):171-172. Pubmedid: 22710892.
- Bello C, Zhang L, Naghashpour M. Follicular lymphoma: current management and future directions. Cancer Control. 2012 Jul.19(3):187-195. Pubmedid: 22710894.
- Hoppe RT, Advani RH, Ai WZ, Ambinder RF, Bello CM, Bierman PJ, Blum KA, Dabaja B, Duron Y, Forero A, Gordon LI, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri FJ, Hochberg EP, Maloney DG, Mansur D, Mauch PM, Metzger M, Moore JO, Morgan D, Moskowitz CH, Poppe M, Pro B, Weiss L, Winter JN, Yahalom J. Hodgkin lymphoma. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2011 Sep.9(9):1020-1058. Pubmedid: 21917626.
- Bello C, Veliz M, Pinilla-Ibarz J. Ofatumumab in the treatment of low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomas and chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2011 May.7(3):295-300. Pubmedid: 21595596.
- Komrokji RS, Al Ali NH, Beg MS, Safa MM, Rollison D, Kharfan-Dabaja M, Bello C, Cultrera J, Sokol L, Pinilla-Ibarz J, Sotomayor EM. Outcome of diffuse large B-Cell lymphoma in the United States has improved over time but racial disparities remain: review of SEER data. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2011 Jun.11(3):257-260. Pubmedid: 21658652.
- Liu JJ, Zhang L, Ayala E, Field T, Ochoa-Bayona JL, Perez L, Bello CM, Chervenick PA, Bruno S, Cultrera JL, Baz RC, Kharfan-Dabaja MA, Raychaudhuri J, Sotomayor EM, Sokol L. Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-negative plasmablastic lymphoma: a single institutional experience and literature review. Leuk Res. 2011 Dec.35(12):1571-1577. Pubmedid: 21752466.
- Bello C, Yu D, Komrokji RS, Zhu W, Wetzstein GA, List AF, Lancet JE. Outcomes after induction chemotherapy in patients with acute myeloid leukemia arising from myelodysplastic syndrome. Cancer. 2011 Apr.117(7):1463-1469. Pubmedid: 21425147. Pmcid: PMC4545502.
- Pinilla-Ibarz J, Bello C. Modern approaches to treating chronic myelogenous leukemia. Curr Oncol Rep. 2008 Sep.10(5):365-371. Pubmedid: 18706263.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.