Find a Doctor
Caitlin P. McMullen, MD
Specialty: Head and Neck Surgery
Program: Head and Neck Oncology
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Types Treated: Head and Neck Cancer , Oral Cavity or Throat Cancer , Throat Cancer, Thyroid Cancer
Dr. McMullen is a member of the Department of Head and Neck – Endocrine Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center. She completed her medical school and residency training at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City. Subsequently, she completed a comprehensive fellowship in Head and Neck Surgical Oncology and Reconstruction at the University of Toronto. During her training, she received recognition for her clinical and research activities, including the Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center Outstanding House Officer Award. She is committed to institutional and specialty service, with the goal of improving the quality of patient care delivered to head and neck cancer patients. Her clinical practice includes a broad range of head and neck oncologic issues, including ablative and reconstructive procedures, transoral laser surgery, thyroid and parathyroid disease, and salivary cancers. Dr. McMullen’s goal in conducting research is to improve the prognostication and treatment strategies for head and neck cancers to better balance oncologic outcomes and quality of life. Dr. McMullen’s research interests include the use of new technologies in head and neck surgery; examining prognostic factors in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma patients including co-morbidities and treatment factors; and the treatment of advanced thyroid cancers and subsequent therapy-related outcomes.
Education & Training
- University of Toronto - Otorinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgical Oncology & Reconstruction
- Montefiore Medical Center Albert Einstein College of Medicine - Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine - MD
CLINICAL TRIAL 18994
Phase II Randomized Trial of Radiotherapy with or without Cisplatin for Surgically Resected Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck (SCCHN) with TP53 Sequencing
Condition: Head & Neck
Intervention: Radiotherapy; cisplatin
CLINICAL TRIAL 18544
NSABP-RTOG-GOG (NRG) Head and Neck Cancer Bio specimen Collection Pilot Project (HNC-BCP)
Condition: Head & Neck
Intervention: Not Applicable
CLINICAL TRIAL 19356
A Phase 1b Trial of the IRX-2 Regimen and Durvalumab (MEDI4736), in Patients with Incurable Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Condition: Head & Neck
Intervention: AMP-514 (Durvalumab); Durvalumab; IRX-2; MEDI4736 (Durvalumab); cyclophosphamide; cytoxan (cyclophosphamide)
- Martin-Gomez L, Giuliano AR, Fulp WJ, Caudell J, Echevarria M, Sirak B, Abrahamsen M, Isaacs-Soriano KA, Hernandez-Prera JC, Wenig BM, Vorwald K, McMullen CP, Wadsworth JT, Slebos RJ, Chung CH. Human Papillomavirus Genotype Detection in Oral Gargle Samples Among Men With Newly Diagnosed Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2019 Mar;145(5):460-466. Pubmedid: 30920604. Pmcid: PMC6537790.
- McMullen C, Chung CH, Hernandez-Prera JC. Evolving role of human papillomavirus as a clinically significant biomarker in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2019 Jan;19(1):63-70. Pubmedid: 30575409.
- Noel CW, McMullen C, Yao C, Monteiro E, Goldstein DP, Eskander A, de Almeida JR. The fragility of statistically significant findings from randomized trials in head and neck surgery. Laryngoscope. 2018 Sep;128(9):2094-2100. Pubmedid: 29683494.
- Foreman A, Lee DJ, McMullen C, de Almeida J, Muhanna N, Gama RR, Giuliani M, Liu G, Bratman SV, Huang SH, O'Sullivan B, Song Y, Xu W, Goldstein DP. Impact of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus on Survival in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017 Oct;157(4):657-663. Pubmedid: 28849730.
- Xu JJ, Yu E, McMullen C, Pasternak J, Brierley J, Tsang R, Zhang H, Eskander A, Rotstein L, Sawka AM, Gilbert R, Irish J, Gullane P, Brown D, de Almeida JR, Goldstein DP. Patterns of regional recurrence in papillary thyroid cancer patients with lateral neck metastases undergoing neck dissection. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017 May;46(1):43. Pubmedid: 28569186. Pmcid: PMC5452602.
- McMullen CP, Mehta V. Integrating Quality Improvement Into the Otolaryngology Morbidity and Mortality Conference. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017 Feb;143(2):140-141. Pubmedid: 27768161.
- McMullen C, Rocke D, Freeman J. Complications of Bilateral Neck Dissection in Thyroid Cancer From a Single High-Volume Center. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017 Apr;143(4):376-381. Pubmedid: 28097314.
- McMullen CP, Smith RV, Ow TJ, Tassler A, Schiff BA. Minimal Margin Extracapsular Dissection: A Viable Alternative Technique for Benign Parotid Lesions?. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2016 Nov;125(11):912-917. Pubmedid: 27456086.
- Schiff BA, McMullen CP, Farinhas J, Jackman AH, Hagiwara M, McKellop J, Lui YW. Use of computed tomography to assess volume change after endoscopic orbital decompression for Graves' ophthalmopathy. Am J Otolaryngol. 2016 Aug;36(6):729-735. Pubmedid: 26545461.
- Virbalas J, McMullen C, Cheng J. Injection laryngoplasty in children with cystic fibrosis and abnormal swallow. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2015 Nov;79(11):1856-1859. Pubmedid: 26365895.
- McMullen CP, Frank DK, Smith LP. Backyard hazard: a case series of ingested grill brush bristles and a novel approach to extraction. Am J Otolaryngol. 2013 May;33(6):731-734. Pubmedid: 22917952.
- McMullen CP, Nguyen CV, Bent JP, Parikh SR. Comparison of early and late extubation following single-stage anterior laryngotracheoplasty. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2010 Sep;74(9):1039-1042. Pubmedid: 20621366.