Find a Doctor
Bjorn Holmstrom, MD
Specialty: Internal Medicine
Program: Internal & Hospital Medicine
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Dr. Holmström is the current Interim Chair for the Department of Internal Medicine. He's also an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Department of Oncologic Sciences at the University of South Florida (USF) Health Morsani College of Medicine. Dr. Holmström is known for his commitment to resident education. He was appointed as the Associate Program Residency Director for the USF Internal Medicine Residency Program at Moffitt. He is a two-time recipient for the USF IM Outstanding Resident Teaching Award. He is also a member of the Graduate Medical Education Committee at Moffitt and the Clinical Competency Committee at USF. Dr. Holmström is known for his commitment to patient safety. He has been asked to participate in several committees, most notably, the JCAHO Anticoagulation Task-Force, and is a two-time recipient of the Excellence in Patient Safety Award for Moffitt. On a national level, he currently serves as the Vice-Chair for the National Comprehensive Cancer Network Committee on Cancer-Associated Venous Thromboembolic Disease. At Moffitt, he continues to serve as the Chair for both the Medical Records and the Forms Committees. He also led the incorporation of the previous Medical Oncology Inpatient Service into the Internal and Hospital Medicine Service.
Education & Training
- Internal Medicine
- Memorial Health University Medical Center, Savannah, GA - Internal Medicine
- University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL(MD, - MD)
- Streiff MB, Holmstrom B, Angelini D, Ashrani A, Bockenstedt PL, Chesney C, Fanikos J, Fenninger RB, Fogerty AE, Gao S, Goldhaber SZ, Gundabolu K, Hendrie P, Lee AI, Lee JT, Mann J, McMahon B, Millenson MM, Morton C, Ortel TL, Ozair S, Paschal R, Shattil S, Siddiqi T, Smock KJ, Soff G, Wang TF, Williams E, Zakarija A, Hammond L, Dwyer MA, Engh AM. NCCN Guidelines Insights: Cancer-Associated Venous Thromboembolic Disease, Version 2.2018. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2018 Nov;16(11):1289-1303. Pubmedid: 30442731.
- Chaudhury A, Balakrishnan A, Thai C, Holmstrom B, Nanjappa S, Ma Z, Jaglal MV. The Efficacy and Safety of Rivaroxaban and Dalteparin in the Treatment of Cancer Associated Venous Thrombosis. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus. 2018 Jul.34(3):530-534. Pubmedid: 30127566. Pmcid: PMC6081306.
- Streiff MB, Holmstrom B, Ashrani A, Bockenstedt PL, Chesney C, Eby C, Fanikos J, Fenninger RB, Fogerty AE, Gao S, Goldhaber SZ, Hendrie P, Kuderer N, Lee A, Lee JT, Lovrincevic M, Millenson MM, Neff AT, Ortel TL, Paschal R, Shattil S, Siddiqi T, Smock KJ, Soff G, Wang TF, Yee GC, Zakarija A, McMillian N, Engh AM. Cancer-Associated Venous Thromboembolic Disease, Version 1.2015. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2015 Sep;13(9):1079-1095. Pubmedid: 26358792.
- Streiff MB, Bockenstedt PL, Cataland SR, Chesney C, Eby C, Fanikos J, Fogerty AE, Gao S, Goldhaber SZ, Hassoun H, Hendrie P, Holmstrom B, Kuderer N, Lee JT, Millenson MM, Neff AT, Ortel TL, Siddiqi T, Smith JL, Yee GC, Zakarija A, McMillian N, Naganuma M. Venous thromboembolic disease. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2013 Nov;11(11):1402-1429. Pubmedid: 24225973.
- Chacko B, Guerra L, Gross R, Holmstrom B, Ramsakal A, Ford W, Rodriguez L, Babalola A. In the Literature. The Hospitalist. 2007;11(8):67-68. Pubmedid: noPMID.
- Anoff D, Guerra L, Gross R, Holmstrom B, Ramsakal A. In the literature. The Hospitalist. 2006 Sep;10(9):48-52. Pubmedid: noPMID.
- Akhondi H, Barochia S, Holmström B, Williams MJ. Hydrocephalus as a presenting manifestation of neurosarcoidosis. South Med J. 2003 Apr;96(4):403-406. Pubmedid: 12916562.