Find a Doctor
Andrew Kuykendall, MD
Cancer Focus: Leukemia , Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS)
Dr. Kuykendall is an Assistant Member at Moffitt Cancer Center in the Department of Malignant Hematology. He earned his MD from University of Florida College of Medicine and completed an Internal Medicine residency at the University of South Florida and a subsequent Hematology and Medical Oncology fellowship at Moffitt Cancer Center/University of South Florida. He primarily focuses his clinical and research efforts on myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPNs), MDS/MPN overlap syndromes and systemic mastocytosis (SM) where he is dedicated to developing novel, disease-modifying therapies for these rare diseases. He is the primary investigator of numerous clinical trials and an active member of the MPN-Research Consortium – a collaborative effort aimed at improving therapeutic options for MPN patients by rationally and efficiently developing disease-modifying therapies.
Education & Training
- Internal Medicine
- University of South Florida at Moffitt Cancer Center - Hematology and Medical Oncology
- University of South Florida - Internal Medicine
- University of Florida College of Medicine - M.D.
CLINICAL TRIAL 20102
A Phase 2 Study of the Hepcidin Mimetic PTG-300 in Patients with Phlebotomy-Requiring Polycythemia Vera
Condition: Malignant Hematology
Intervention: PTG-300 (); Placebo ()
CLINICAL TRIAL 20600
A Phase I, Open-Label, Multicenter, Dose Escalation, Dose Expansion Study of PRT543 in Patients with Advanced Solid Tumors and Hematologic Malignancies
Condition: Malignant Hematology
Intervention: Jakafi (Ruxolitinib); PRT543 (); Ruxolitinib ()
- Schwabkey ZI, Al Ali N, Chan O, Sallman DA, Padron E, Kuykendall AT, Talati C, Sweet K, Lancet JE, Komrokji RS. Fluorescence in Situ Hybridization (FISH) Utility for Risk Score Assessment in Patients With MDS With Normal Metaphase Karyotype. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2021 Jan.21(1):e52-e56. Pubmedid: 33093008.
- Swoboda DM, Ali NA, Chan O, Padron E, Kuykendall AT, Song J, Hussaini M, Talati C, Sweet K, Lancet JE, Sallman DA, Komrokji RS. PTPN11 mutations are associated with poor outcomes across myeloid malignancies. Leukemia. 2021 Jan.35(1):286-288. Pubmedid: 33132383.
- Gesiotto QJ, Swoboda DM, Shallis RM, Al Ali N, Padron E, Kuykendall AT, Song J, Talati C, Sweet K, Lancet JE, Zeidan AM, Komrokji RS, Sallman DA. Evaluating Predictors of Immune-Related Adverse Events and Response to Checkpoint Inhibitors in Myeloid Malignancies. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2021 Jan. Pubmedid: 33583730.
- Kuykendall AT, Tokumori FC, Komrokji RS. Traipsing Through Muddy Waters: A Critical Review of the Myelodysplastic Syndrome/Myeloproliferative Neoplasm (MDS/MPN) Overlap Syndromes. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2021 Apr.35(2):337-352. Pubmedid: 33641873.
- Kuykendall AT, Komrokji R. What's in a Number? Examining the Prognostic and Predictive Importance of Platelet Count in Patients With Essential Thrombocythemia. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2020 Sep.18(9):1279-1284. Pubmedid: 32886905.
- Gerds AT, Gotlib J, Bose P, Deininger MW, Dunbar A, Elshoury A, George TI, Gojo I, Gundabolu K, Hexner E, Hobbs G, Jain T, Jamieson C, Kuykendall AT, McMahon B, Mohan SR, Oehler V, Oh S, Pardanani A, Podoltsev N, Ranheim E, Rein L, Salit R, Snyder DS, Stein BL, Talpaz M, Thota S, Vachhani P, Wadleigh M, Walsh K, Ward DC, Bergman MA, Sundar H. Myeloid/Lymphoid Neoplasms with Eosinophilia and TK Fusion Genes, Version 3.2021, NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2020 Sep.18(9):1248-1269. Pubmedid: 32886902.
- Ronner L, Podoltsev N, Gotlib J, Heaney ML, Kuykendall AT, O'Connell C, Shammo J, Fleischman AG, Scherber RM, Mesa R, Yacoub A, Perkins C, Meckstroth S, Behlman L, Chiaramonte M, Salehi M, Ziadkhanpour K, Nguyen H, Siwoski O, Hung AK, Janania Martinez M, Nguyen J, Patel S, Kollipara R, Dave A, Randall M, Grant M, Harrison M, Fernandez Soto P, Tremblay D, Hoffman R, Moshier EL, Mascarenhas J. Persistent leukocytosis in polycythemia vera is associated with disease evolution but not thrombosis. Blood. 2020 May.135(19):1696-1703. Pubmedid: 32107559. Pmcid: PMC7205813.
- Melody M, Kuykendall A, Sallman D, Al Ali N, Zhang L, Talati C, Padron E, Sweet K, Extermann M, List A, Lancet J, Komrokji R. Defining Acute Myeloid Leukemia Ontogeny in Older Patients. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2020 May.20(5):312-315. Pubmedid: 32139296.
- Gowin K, Ballen K, Ahn KW, Hu ZH, Ali H, Arcasoy MO, Devlin R, Coakley M, Gerds AT, Green M, Gupta V, Hobbs G, Jain T, Kandarpa M, Komrokji R, Kuykendall AT, Luber K, Masarova L, Michaelis LC, Patches S, Pariser AC, Rampal R, Stein B, Talpaz M, Verstovsek S, Wadleigh M, Agrawal V, Aljurf M, Angel Diaz M, Avalos BR, Bacher U, Bashey A, Beitinjaneh AM, Cerny J, Chhabra S, Copelan E, Cutler CS, DeFilipp Z, Gadalla SM, Ganguly S, Grunwald MR, Hashmi SK, Kharfan-Dabaja MA, Kindwall-Keller T, Kröger N, Lazarus HM, Liesveld JL, Litzow MR, Marks DI, Nathan S, Nishihori T, Olsson RF, Pawarode A, Rowe JM, Savani BN, Savoie ML, Seo S, Solh M, Tamari R, Verdonck LF, Yared JA, Alyea E, Popat U, Sobecks R, Scott BL, Nakamura R, Mesa R, Saber W. Survival following allogeneic transplant in patients with myelofibrosis. Blood Adv. 2020 May.4(9):1965-1973. Pubmedid: 32384540. Pmcid: PMC7218417.
- Talati C, Goldberg AD, Przespolewski A, Chan O, Ali NA, Kim J, Famulare C, Sallman D, Padron E, Kuykendall A, Lancet JE, Wang E, Tallman MS, Komrokji R, Sweet K. Comparison of induction strategies and responses for acute myeloid leukemia patients after resistance to hypomethylating agents for antecedent myeloid malignancy. Leuk Res. 2020 Jun.93:106367. Pubmedid: 32408060. Pmcid: PMC7771257.
- Talati C, Dhulipala VC, Extermann M, Al Ali N, Kim J, Komrokji R, Sweet K, Kuykendall A, Sehovic M, Reljic T, Djulbegovic B, Lancet JE. Comparisons of commonly used front-line regimens on survival outcomes in patients aged 70 years and older with acute myeloid leukemia. Haematologica. 2020 Jan.105(2):398-406. Pubmedid: 31073071. Pmcid: PMC7012500.
- Castillo-Tokumori F, Talati C, Al Ali N, Sallman D, Yun S, Sweet K, Padron E, Lancet J, Komrokji R, Kuykendall AT. Retrospective Analysis of the Clinical Use and Benefit of Lenalidomide and Thalidomide in Myelofibrosis. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2020 Dec.20(12):e956-e960. Pubmedid: 32778513.
- Kuykendall AT, Horvat NP, Pandey G, Komrokji R, Reuther GW. Finding a Jill for JAK: Assessing Past, Present, and Future JAK Inhibitor Combination Approaches in Myelofibrosis. Cancers (Basel). 2020 Aug.12(8). Pubmedid: 32823910. Pmcid: PMC7464183.
- Tamari R, Rapaport F, Zhang N, McNamara C, Kuykendall A, Sallman DA, Komrokji R, Arruda A, Najfeld V, Sandy L, Medina J, Litvin R, Famulare CA, Patel MA, Malloy M, Castro-Malaspina H, Giralt S, Weinberg RS, Mascarenhas JO, Mesa R, Rondelli D, Dueck AC, Levine RL, Gupta V, Hoffman R, Rampal RK. Impact of High-Molecular-Risk Mutations on Transplantation Outcomes in Patients with Myelofibrosis. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2019 Jun.25(6):1142-1151. Pubmedid: 30625392. Pmcid: PMC6918823.
- Andrew K, Talati C, Padron E, Sweet K, Sallman D, List AF, Lancet JE, Komrokji RS. Genetically inspired prognostic scoring system (GIPSS) outperforms dynamic international prognostic scoring system (DIPSS) in myelofibrosis patients. Am J Hematol. 2019 Jan.94(1):87-92. Pubmedid: 30390311.
- Kuykendall AT, Talati C, Padron E, Sweet K, Lancet JE, List AF, Sallman D, Komrokji RS. Driver mutation-specific clinical and genomic correlates differ between primary and secondary myelofibrosis. Am J Hematol. 2019 Dec.94(12):E314-E317. Pubmedid: 31444809.
- Kuykendall AT, Padron E. Treatment of MDS/MPN and the MDS/MPN IWG International Trial: ABNL MARRO. Curr Hematol Malig Rep. 2019 Dec.14(6):543-549. Pubmedid: 31776774.
- Kuykendall A, Duployez N, Boissel N, Lancet JE, Welch JS. Acute Myeloid Leukemia: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2018 May.38:555-573. Pubmedid: 30231330.
- Kuykendall AT, Shah S, Talati C, Al Ali N, Sweet K, Padron E, Sallman DA, Lancet JE, List AF, Zuckerman KS, Komrokji RS. Between a rux and a hard place: evaluating salvage treatment and outcomes in myelofibrosis after ruxolitinib discontinuation. Ann Hematol. 2018 Mar.97(3):435-441. Pubmedid: 29189896.
- Talati C, Zhang L, Shaheen G, Kuykendall A, Ball M, Zhang Q, Lancet JE, Zuckerman KS, List AF, Komrokji R, Moscinski L, Padron E. Monocyte subset analysis accurately distinguishes CMML from MDS and is associated with a favorable MDS prognosis. Blood. 2017 Mar.129(13):1881-1883. Pubmedid: 28159734.
- Kuykendall AT, Talati C, Al Ali N, Sweet K, Padron E, Sallman DA, Lancet JE, List AF, Zuckerman KS, Komrokji RS. The Treatment Landscape of Myelofibrosis Before and After Ruxolitinib Approval. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2017 Dec.17(12):e45-e53. Pubmedid: 28869184.
- Kuykendall A, Chiappori A. Advanced EGFR mutation-positive non-small-cell lung cancer: case report, literature review, and treatment recommendations. Cancer Control. 2014 Jan.21(1):67-73. Pubmedid: 24357744.
- Budzevich M, Dilling T, Zhang G, Kuykendall C, Moros E. SU-E-J-167: Optimal Number of Respiratory Phases in 4D PET for Radiotherapy Planning: Motion-Simulated Phantom Study. Med Phys. 2012 Jun.39(6Part8):3691. Pubmedid: 28518903.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.