Find a Doctor
Aliyah Baluch, MD, MSc
Specialty: Infectious Diseases
Program: Infectious Diseases
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Dr. Aliyah Baluch is the Bone Marrow Transplant Infectious Diseases (BMT ID) attending. She has clinic in the BMT Clinic half a day per week. Her overall interests are infections in immunosuppressed patients (BMT and solid organ transplant recipients) with a focus on microbiology with antimicrobial stewardship. She coordinates monthly microbiology rounds between pathologists, internal medicine, infectious disease physicians and rotating medical students. As an educator, Dr. Baluch also gives lectures at Moffitt and outside facilities on various subjects pertinent to Transplant Infectious Diseases. On a regular basis, medical students, nurse practitioner and physician assistant students rotate with Dr. Baluch. Dr. Aliyah Baluch participates on multiple Moffitt committees as the ID liaison. Dr. Baluch also continues to be abstract and journal reviewer for many national committees and peer-reviewed publications. In her free time, Dr. Baluch also volunteers via the Moffitt volunteer group, STARS.
Education & Training
- Infectious Disease
- Internal Medicine
- University of South Florida - Infectious and Tropical Medicine
- University of Alberta - Transplant Infectious Diseases
- University of South Florida - Internal Medicine
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center - Internal Medicine
- University of South Florida - MD
- Baluch A, Pasikhova Y, Snyder M. Successful management of Mycobacterium haemophilum lower extremity cutaneous infection in a matched-unrelated donor stem cell transplant recipient. Transpl Infect Dis. 2017 Feb;19(1). Pubmedid: 27775824.
- Pasikhova Y, Ludlow S, Baluch A. Fever in Patients With Cancer. Cancer Control. 2017 Apr;24(2):193-197. Pubmedid: 28441374.
- Snyder M, Pasikhova Y, Baluch A. Early Antimicrobial De-escalation and Stewardship in Adult Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Recipients: Retrospective Review. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2017;4(4):ofx226. Pubmedid: 29255727. Pmcid: PMC5726466.
- Shannon K, Pasikhova Y, Ibekweh Q, Ludlow S, Baluch A. Nocardiosis following hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Transpl Infect Dis. 2016 Apr;18(2):169-175. Pubmedid: 26809666.
- Egli A, Humar A, Widmer LA, Lisboa LF, Santer DM, Mueller T, Stelling J, Baluch A, O'Shea D, Houghton M, Kumar D. Effect of Immunosuppression on T-Helper 2 and B-Cell Responses to Influenza Vaccination. J Infect Dis. 2015 Jul;212(1):137-146. Pubmedid: 25589334.
- Fernández-Ruiz M, Humar A, Baluch A, Keshwani S, Husain S, Kumar D. Baseline serum interleukin-6 to interleukin-2 ratio is associated with the response to seasonal trivalent influenza vaccine in solid organ transplant recipients. Vaccine. 2015 Dec;33(51):7176-7182. Pubmedid: 26555352.
- Egli A, Santer DM, O'Shea D, Barakat K, Syedbasha M, Vollmer M, Baluch A, Bhat R, Groenendyk J, Joyce MA, Lisboa LF, Thomas BS, Battegay M, Khanna N, Mueller T, Tyrrell DL, Houghton M, Humar A, Kumar D. IL-28B is a key regulator of B- and T-cell vaccine responses against influenza. PLoS Pathog. 2014 Dec;10(12):e1004556. Pubmedid: 25503988. Pmcid: PMC4263767.
- Silva M, Humar A, Shapiro AM, Senior P, Hoschler K, Baluch A, Wilson LE, Kumar D. Humoral immune response following seasonal influenza vaccine in islet transplant recipients. Cell Transplant. 2013 Sep;22(3):469-476. Pubmedid: 23006439.
- Egli A, Silva M, O'Shea D, Wilson LE, Baluch A, Lisboa LF, Hidalgo LG, Kumar D, Humar A. An analysis of regulatory T-cell and Th-17 cell dynamics during cytomegalovirus replication in solid organ transplant recipients. PLoS One. 2013 Mar;7(11):e43937. Pubmedid: 23071829. Pmcid: PMC3469568.
- Alrabaa SF, Nguyen P, Sanderson R, Baluch A, Sandin RL, Kelker D, Karlapalem C, Thompson P, Sams K, Martin S, Montero J, Greene JN. Early identification and control of carbapenemase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae, originating from contaminated endoscopic equipment. Am J Infect Control. 2012 Nov;41(6):562-564. Pubmedid: 23171594.
- Baluch A, Pasikhova Y. Influenza vaccination in oncology patients. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2013 Dec;15(6):486-490. Pubmedid: 24258350.
- Baluch A, Humar A, Eurich D, Egli A, Liacini A, Hoschler K, Campbell P, Berka N, Urschel S, Wilson L, Kumar D. Randomized controlled trial of high-dose intradermal versus standard-dose intramuscular influenza vaccine in organ transplant recipients. Am J Transplant. 2013 Apr;13(4):1026-1033. Pubmedid: 23406320.
- Baluch A, Humar A, Egli A, Gubbay J, Lisboa L, Wilson L, Kumar D. Long term immune responses to pandemic influenza A/H1N1 infection in solid organ transplant recipients. PLoS One. 2012 Aug;6(12):e28627. Pubmedid: 22194870. Pmcid: PMC3237471.
- Baluch A. State of the Globe: The Rippling Effect of Multidrug-Resistant Gram-negative Infections. J Glob Infect Dis. 7(4):125-126. Pubmedid: 26752866. Pmcid: PMC4693302.