Moffitt Notice of Blackbaud Data Incident. Learn More
10 Questions to Ask Your Prostate Cancer Specialist
If you were recently diagnosed with prostate cancer, a specialist is your best source of information. By becoming fully educated about your condition and treatment options, you can help ensure that you will achieve the best possible outcome and quality of life. You may already have a long list of questions, and that’s understandable. Or, you may be feeling overwhelmed and unsure of what to even ask. Either way, the experts in the Genitourinary Oncology Program at Moffitt Cancer Center are available to help.
What should you ask?
Before you meet with a prostate cancer specialist, you might want to take some time to think about what you’d like discuss. Remember, every concern you have is worth addressing, no matter how insignificant it may seem. The goal is to have a candid discussion that helps you feel confident in your treatment decisions. To help you get a conversation started and make the most of your time with your specialist, here are 10 questions that you might ask:
- Will I need further diagnostic testing before I start treatment?
- What is the clinical stage of my cancer, and what does that mean?
- How soon do I need to begin treatment?
- What are my treatment options, and the potential benefits, risks and side effects of each?
- Should I consider an active surveillance program? Why or why not?
- How should I prepare for my treatment?
- How might my treatment affect my daily activities?
- Is there a chance that I could become incontinent or impotent?
- How soon will we know if my treatment is working?
- What type of follow-up will I need after I complete my treatment?
If you are looking for a prostate cancer specialist, you are welcome to come to Moffitt with or without a referral. At Moffitt, an experienced oncologist can assess your unique situation, answer all of your questions and collaborate with multiple experts before recommending a highly individualized treatment plan for you.