Questions to Ask Your Brain Cancer Specialist
Your brain cancer specialist can answer any questions you have about your diagnosis, prognosis or treatment. Whether you want to know as much as possible or only want to hear what’s absolutely essential, you can turn to your specialist for information and advice.
Common questions about brain cancer
If you’re not sure what to ask your brain cancer specialist, the following questions are a good place to start:
- What does my diagnosis mean? When you say "type" and "stage," what does that refer to?
- What are the treatment options for my type of brain cancer? Is there a specific order or combination of treatments that might be best?
- Are you the oncologist who will be providing my treatment, or will I have to meet with other specialists? Are there any you would specifically recommend?
- What are clinical trials? Would you recommend that I consider one, either now or in the future?
- How long will treatment take? How will we know if it is working?
- What are the most common side effects of treatment? Are there any that I would need to seek immediate treatment for? What about complications that might develop after my treatment is complete?
- What are the typical outcomes for patients with my type and stage of brain cancer?
When additional questions come to mind, you might find it helpful to write them down so that you can remember to ask them at your next appointment. You might also find it helpful to have a family member or friend accompany you, take notes and provide support so that you can focus on getting the information you need from your treatment team.
Consult with a brain cancer specialist at Moffitt Cancer Center
Moffitt Cancer Center’s Neuro-Oncology Program is home to a number of experienced oncologists, each one with a specific area of expertise. We have surgical oncologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, neuro-oncologists and supportive care providers all practicing under one roof, as well as a weekly tumor board that meets to discuss complex cases. This makes it easier than ever for you to get comprehensive answers to your questions.
If you’d like to request an appointment, you can do so with or without a physician’s referral. Call 1-888-663-3888 or submit a new patient registration form online.