Find a Doctor
Cancer Focus: Breast Cancer, Ductal Carcinoma In Situ , Inflammatory Breast Cancer , Invasive Ductal Carcinoma , Triple Negative Breast Cancer
Dr. Costa is a Medical Oncologist at the Department of Breast Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center in the Clinical Investigator Track since 2017. In 2011, Dr. Costa completed a Master Degree in Clinical Research at University of Pittsburgh and Clinical Fellowship Training at Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Dr. Costa was an Instructor at the Developmental Therapeutics Program at Northwestern University, Chicago, where he developed early phase clinical trials for the treatment of breast cancer. He has already authored and co-authored over 40 scientific manuscripts. His current research projects are focused on the development of Targeted Agents and Immune Therapies, including new vaccines and antibodies, for the treatment of breast cancer. He is currently a Principal Investigator of clinical trials at Moffitt Cancer Center and treats women with all stages of breast cancer.
Education & Training
- Medical Oncology
- Internal Medicine
- Drexel of Pittsburgh Allegheny General Hospital - Hematology/Oncology
- Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine - Developmental Therapeutics
- East Tenessee State University - Internal Medicine
- Federal University of Pernambuco, Brazil(MD, - MD)
CLINICAL TRIAL 20349
A Phase 2 Study of TAS-120 in Metastatic Breast Cancers Harboring Fibroblast Growth Factor Receptor (FGFR) Amplifications
Intervention: Faslodex (fulvestrant); TAS-120 (); fulvestrant ()
- Costa RLB, Czerniecki BJ. Clinical development of immunotherapies for HER2+ breast cancer: a review of HER2-directed monoclonal antibodies and beyond. NPJ Breast Cancer. 2020 Mar.6:10. Pubmedid: 32195333. Pmcid: PMC7067811.
- Costa R, Zaman S, Sharpe S, Helenowski I, Shaw C, Han H, Soliman H, Czerniecki B. A brief report of toxicity end points of HER2 vaccines for the treatment of patients with HER2+ breast cancer. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2019 Jan.13:309-316. Pubmedid: 30679903. Pmcid: PMC6338114.
- Carneiro BA, Konda B, Costa RB, Costa RLB, Sagar V, Gursel DB, Kirschner LS, Chae YK, Abdulkadir SA, Rademaker A, Mahalingam D, Shah MH, Giles FJ. Nivolumab in Metastatic Adrenocortical Carcinoma: Results of a Phase 2 Trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2019 Dec.104(12):6193-6200. Pubmedid: 31276163.
- Kodumudi KN, Ramamoorthi G, Snyder C, Basu A, Jia Y, Awshah S, Beyer AP, Wiener D, Lam L, Zhang H, Greene MI, Costa RLB, Czerniecki BJ. Sequential Anti-PD1 Therapy Following Dendritic Cell Vaccination Improves Survival in a HER2 Mammary Carcinoma Model and Identifies a Critical Role for CD4 T Cells in Mediating the Response. Front Immunol. 2019 Aug.10:1939. Pubmedid: 31475002. Pmcid: PMC6702967.
- Costa RLB, Gradishar WJ. Do Genomic Assays Provide the Necessary Confidence to De-escalate Adjuvant Therapy?. J Clin Oncol. 2018 Mar;36(8):725-727. Pubmedid: 29373092.
- Costa RLB, Han HS, Gradishar WJ. Targeting the PI3K/AKT/mTOR pathway in triple-negative breast cancer: a review. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018 Jun;169(3):397-406. Pubmedid: 29417298.
- Chae YK, Chiec L, Adney SK, Waitzman J, Costa R, Carneiro B, Matsangou M, Agulnik M, Kopp P, Giles F. Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome and takotsubo cardiomyopathy associated with lenvatinib therapy for thyroid cancer: a case report and review. Oncotarget. 2018 Jun.9(46):28281-28289. Pubmedid: 29963277. Pmcid: PMC6021337.
- Mills MN, Yang GQ, Oliver DE, Liveringhouse CL, Ahmed KA, Orman AG, Laronga C, Hoover SJ, Khakpour N, Costa RLB, Diaz R. Histologic heterogeneity of triple negative breast cancer: A National Cancer Centre Database analysis. Eur J Cancer. 2018 Jul.98:48-58. Pubmedid: 29870876.
- Rossi G, Mu Z, Rademaker A, Austin L, Strickland KS, Lima Barros Costa R, Nagy R, Zagonel V, Taxter TJ, Behdad A, Wehbe FH, Platanias LC, Gradishar W, Cristofanilli M. Cell-Free DNA and Circulating Tumor Cells: Comprehensive Liquid Biopsy Analysis in Advanced Breast Cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2018 Feb;24(3):560-568. Pubmedid: 29180605.
- Costa RB, Costa RLB, Talamantes SM, Kaplan JB, Bhave MA, Rademaker A, Miller C, Carneiro BA, Mahalingam D, Chae YK. Systematic review and meta-analysis of selected toxicities of approved inhibitors in metastatic non-small cell lung cancer. Oncotarget. 2018 Apr.9(31):22137-22146. Pubmedid: 29774128. Pmcid: PMC5955140.
- Costa RB, Benson A, Yaghmai V, Costa RLB, Zhou H, Behdad A, Kaplan JB, Sadim M, Talamantes S, Kalyan A. An Extremely Rapid Case of Pneumonitis with the Use of Nivolumab for Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma. Case Rep Oncol Med. 2018 Apr.2018:6314392. Pubmedid: 29808141. Pmcid: PMC5902098.
- Reinstein ZZ, Pamarthy S, Sagar V, Costa R, Abdulkadir SA, Giles FJ, Carneiro BA. Overcoming immunosuppression in bone metastases. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2017 Sep;117:114-127. Pubmedid: 28600175.
- Costa R, Costa RB, Talamantes SM, Helenoswki I, Carneiro BA, Chae YK, Gradishar WJ, Kurzrock R, Giles FJ. Analyses of selected safety endpoints in phase 1 and late-phase clinical trials of anti-PD-1 and PD-L1 inhibitors: prediction of immune-related toxicities. Oncotarget. 2017 Sep.8(40):67782-67789. Pubmedid: 28978071. Pmcid: PMC5620211.
- Costa R, Santa-Maria CA, Scholtens DM, Jain S, Flaum L, Gradishar WJ, Clevenger CV, Kaklamani VG. A pilot study of cabergoline for the treatment of metastatic breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2017 Oct;165(3):585-592. Pubmedid: 28674764.
- Pai SG, Carneiro BA, Chae YK, Costa RL, Kalyan A, Shah HA, Helenowski I, Rademaker AW, Mahalingam D, Giles FJ. Correlation of tumor mutational burden and treatment outcomes in patients with colorectal cancer. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2017 Oct.8(5):858-866. Pubmedid: 29184690. Pmcid: PMC5674261.
- Pai SG, Carneiro BA, Mota JM, Costa R, Leite CA, Barroso-Sousa R, Kaplan JB, Chae YK, Giles FJ. Wnt/beta-catenin pathway: modulating anticancer immune response. J Hematol Oncol. 2017 May;10(1):101. Pubmedid: 28476164. Pmcid: PMC5420131.
- Mota JM, Collier KA, Costa RLB, Taxter T, Kalyan A, Leite CA, Chae YK, Giles FJ, Carneiro BA. A comprehensive review of heregulins, HER3, and HER4 as potential therapeutic targets in cancer. Oncotarget. 2017 Jun. Pubmedid: 28645115.
- Chuzi S, Tavora F, Cruz M, Costa R, Chae YK, Carneiro BA, Giles FJ. Clinical features, diagnostic challenges, and management strategies in checkpoint inhibitor-related pneumonitis. Cancer Manag Res. 2017 Jun.9:207-213. Pubmedid: 28652812. Pmcid: PMC5476791.
- Costa R, Costa RB, Talamantes SM, Helenoswki I, Carneiro BA, Chae YK, Gradishar WJ, Kurzrock R, Giles FJ. Analyses of selected safety endpoints in phase 1 and late-phase clinical trials of anti-PD-1 and PD-L1 inhibitors: prediction of immune-related toxicities. Oncotarget. 2017 Jun. Pubmedid: 28733528.
- Agulnik M, Costa RL, Milhem M, Rademaker AW, Prunder BC, Daniels D, Rhodes BT, Humphreys C, Abbinanti S, Nye L, Cehic R, Polish A, Vintilescu C, McFarland T, Skubitz K, Robinson S, Okuno S, Van Tine BA. A phase II study of tivozanib in patients with metastatic and nonresectable soft-tissue sarcomas. Ann Oncol. 2017 Jan.28(1):121-127. Pubmedid: 27771610. Pmcid: PMC6246191.
- Costa R, Carneiro BA, Agulnik M, Rademaker AW, Pai SG, Villaflor VM, Cristofanilli M, Sosman JA, Giles FJ. Toxicity profile of approved anti-PD-1 monoclonal antibodies in solid tumors: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. Oncotarget. 2017 Jan;8(5):8910-8920. Pubmedid: 27852042. Pmcid: PMC5352453.
- Agulnik M, Costa RLB, Milhem M, Rademaker AW, Prunder BC, Daniels D, Rhodes BT, Humphreys C, Abbinanti S, Nye L, Cehic R, Polish A, Vintilescu C, McFarland T, Skubitz K, Robinson S, Okuno S, Van Tine BA. A phase II study of tivozanib in patients with metastatic and nonresectable soft-tissue sarcomas. Ann Oncol. 2017 Jan.28(1):121-127. Pubmedid: 31792524.
- Chae YK, Ranganath K, Hammerman PS, Vaklavas C, Mohindra N, Kalyan A, Matsangou M, Costa R, Carneiro B, Villaflor VM, Cristofanilli M, Giles FJ. Inhibition of the fibroblast growth factor receptor (FGFR) pathway: the current landscape and barriers to clinical application. Oncotarget. 2017 Feb;8(9):16052-16074. Pubmedid: 28030802. Pmcid: PMC5362545.
- Costa R, Santa-Maria CA, Rossi G, Carneiro BA, Chae YK, Gradishar WJ, Giles FJ, Cristofanilli M. Developmental therapeutics for inflammatory breast cancer: Biology and translational directions. Oncotarget. 2017 Feb;8(7):12417-12432. Pubmedid: 27926493. Pmcid: PMC5355355.
- Costa RLB, Soliman H, Czerniecki BJ. The clinical development of vaccines for HER2+ breast cancer: Current landscape and future perspectives. Cancer Treat Rev. 2017 Dec;61:107-115. Pubmedid: 29125981.
- Costa RB, Costa R, Kaplan J, Cruz MR, Shah H, Matsangou M, Carneiro B. A Rare Case of Glioblastoma Multiforme with Osseous Metastases. Case Rep Oncol Med. 2017 Dec.2017:2938319. Pubmedid: 29201475. Pmcid: PMC5671696.
- Costa RLB, Gradishar WJ. Differences Are Important: Breast Cancer Therapy in Different Ethnic Groups. J Glob Oncol. 2017 Aug.3(4):281-284. Pubmedid: 28831435. Pmcid: PMC5560466.
- Costa RLB, Gradishar WJ. Triple-Negative Breast Cancer: Current Practice and Future Directions. J Oncol Pract. 2017 05;13(5):301-303. Pubmedid: 28489982.
- Chae YK, Davis AA, Carneiro BA, Chandra S, Mohindra N, Kalyan A, Kaplan J, Matsangou M, Pai S, Costa R, Jovanovic B, Cristofanilli M, Platanias LC, Giles FJ. Concordance between genomic alterations assessed by next-generation sequencing in tumor tissue or circulating cell-free DNA. Oncotarget. 2016 Oct.7(40):65364-65373. Pubmedid: 27588476. Pmcid: PMC5323161.
- Costa R, Carneiro BA, Wainwright DA, Santa-Maria CA, Kumthekar P, Chae YK, Gradishar WJ, Cristofanilli M, Giles FJ. Developmental therapeutics for patients with breast cancer and central nervous system metastasis: current landscape and future perspectives. Ann Oncol. 2016 Oct. Pubmedid: 27701069.
- Costa R, Carneiro BA, Tavora F, Pai SG, Kaplan JB, Chae YK, Chandra S, Kopp PA, Giles FJ. The challenge of developmental therapeutics for adrenocortical carcinoma. Oncotarget. 2016 Jul;7(29):46734-46749. Pubmedid: 27102148. Pmcid: PMC5216833.
- Costa R, Carneiro BA, Chandra S, Pai SG, Chae YK, Kaplan JB, Garrett HB, Agulnik M, Kopp PA, Giles FJ. Spotlight on lenvatinib in the treatment of thyroid cancer: patient selection and perspectives. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2016 Feb;10:873-884. Pubmedid: 27013865. Pmcid: PMC4778792.
- Costa R, Carneiro BA, Taxter T, Tavora FA, Kalyan A, Pai SA, Chae YK, Giles FJ. FGFR3-TACC3 fusion in solid tumors: mini review. Oncotarget. 2016 Aug;7(34):55924-55938. Pubmedid: 27409839. Pmcid: PMC5342462.
- Carneiro BA, Costa R, Taxter T, Chandra S, Chae YK, Cristofanilli M, Giles FJ. Is Personalized Medicine Here?. Oncology (Williston Park). 2016 Apr;30(4):293-303, 307. Pubmedid: 27085327.
- Costa R, Costa R, Costa R, Junior GM, Cartaxo HQ, de Barros AC. Reversible posterior encephalopathy syndrome secondary to sunitinib. Case Rep Oncol Med. 2014 Jun;2014:952624. Pubmedid: 24900933. Pmcid: PMC4037124.
- Costa R, Costa R, Bacchi CE, Almeida Filho P. Metastatic insulinoma managed with radiolabeled somatostatin analog. Case Rep Endocrinol. 2014 Jan;2013:252159. Pubmedid: 24455330. Pmcid: PMC3877610.
- Costa R, Costa R, Costa R. Follicular lymphoma presenting with leptomeningeal disease. Case Rep Hematol. 2014 Dec;2014:767621. Pubmedid: 25544910. Pmcid: PMC4269308.
- Costa R, Costa RB, Bacchi C, Sarinho F. Adenocarcinoma of the lung presenting with atypical cystic brain lesions. BMJ Case Rep. 2014 Apr;2014. Pubmedid: 24717598. Pmcid: PMC3987522.
- Costa R, Fazal S, Kaplan RB, Spero J, Costa R. Successful plasma exchange combined with rituximab therapy in aggressive APS-related cutaneous necrosis. Clin Rheumatol. 2013 Mar;32 Suppl 1:S79-S82. Pubmedid: 20556455.
- Silva Junior GB, Libório AB, Vieira AP, Bem AX, Lopes Filho AS, Figueiredo Filho AC, Guedes AL, Souza JH, Costa CM, Costa R, Daher EF. Evaluation of renal function in sickle cell disease patients in Brazil. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2012 Jul;45(7):652-655. Pubmedid: 22584642. Pmcid: PMC3854265.
- Barros Costa RL. Targeted therapy: comprehensive review. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2009 Apr;26(2):137-146. Pubmedid: 19229068.
- Costa R, Costa-Filho RB, Talamantes SM, Queiroga F, Campello EC, Cartaxo H, Costa RB. Interstitial Pneumonitis Secondary to Trastuzumab: A Case Report and Literature Review. Case Rep Oncol. 10(2):524-530. Pubmedid: 28690527. Pmcid: PMC5498939.
- Costa RLB, Costa-Filho RB, Rosa M, Czerniecki BJ. Occult Breast Carcinoma Presenting as Scalp Metastasis. Case Rep Oncol. 10(3):992-997. Pubmedid: 29279704. Pmcid: PMC5731106.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.