Find a Doctor Search
Dr. Paul Smith is a plastic surgeon in The Center for Women’s Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Smith is proficient in all aspects of reconstructive surgery and has developed a special interest in breast reconstruction. He is an expert in several landmark techniques, such as free tissue transfer, fat grafting and flap reconstruction, all of which borrow tissue from other areas of the body to augment the reconstructed breast. As a plastic surgeon, Dr. Smith combines his early talent and passion for art and his interest in medicine to create the best possible result for patients. He reports that the field of reconstructive surgery is evolving with new techniques giving women many more options for enhancing the overall aesthetic appearance of the body with a natural and pleasing shape to the reconstructed breast. Dr. Smith is the former president of the Tampa Bay Plastic Surgery Society and a member of several state and national professional organizations. His research interests include fat grafting and soft tissue augmentation. He has authored numerous papers and given many presentations in this area of study. During his medical training, Dr. Smith completed a wound healing research fellowship at the Institute of Tissue Regeneration Repair and Rehabilitation and was chief resident in plastic surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern in Dallas.
Education & Training
- Plastic Surgery
- Institute of Tissue Regeneration Repair & Rehabilitation - Wound Healing
- University of Texas Southwestern - Plastic Surgery
- University of South Florida - General Surgery
- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria - MD
If you believe you are eligible for one of these trials or studies, please call
- Zhang A, Kuc A, Smith P, Zimmerman A, Billington A, Gonzalez RJ, Dayicioglu D. Large Chest and Abdominal Wall Defect Reconstruction With Anterolateral Thigh Free Flap to Right Gastroepiploic Artery Anastomosis. Eplasty. 2017 Sep;17:ic24. Pubmedid: 28959374. Pmcid: PMC5609249.
- Mattingly AE, Ma Z, Smith PD, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Hoover SJ, Laronga C, Lee MC. Early Postoperative Complications after Oncoplastic Reduction. South Med J. 2017 Oct;110(10):660-666. Pubmedid: 28973708.
- Zimmerman AL, Tugertimur B, Smith PD, Kumar A, Dayicioglu D. In the Age of Breast Augmentation, Breast Reconstruction Provides an Opportunity to Augment the Breast. Cancer Control. 2017 Oct;24(4). Pubmedid: 28975840.
- Orcutt ST, O'Donoghue C, Smith P, Laronga C. Expanding Eligibility Criteria for Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy. South Med J. 2017 Oct;110(10):654-659. Pubmedid: 28973707.
- Elston JB, Prabhakaran S, Lleshi A, Castillo B, Sun W, Kumar A, Ma Z, Smith PD, Dayicioglu D. Complications and Recurrence in Implant-Sparing Oncologic Breast Surgery. Ann Plast Surg. 2017 Jun;78(6S Suppl 5):S269-S274. Pubmedid: 28328633.
- Parabkaharan S, Melody M, Trotta R, Lleshi A, Sun W, Smith PD, Khakpour N, Dayicioglu D. Comparison of Reconstructive Outcomes in Breast Cancer Patients With Preexisting Subpectoral Implants: Implant-Sparing Mastectomy With Delayed Implant Exchange Versus Immediate Tissue Expander Reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg. 2016 Jun;76 Suppl 4:S332-S335. Pubmedid: 27187252.
- Prabhakaran S, Melody M, Trotta R, Lleshi A, Sun W, Smith PD, Khakpour N, Dayicioglu D. Comparison of Reconstructive Outcomes in Breast Cancer Patients With Preexisting Subpectoral Implants: Implant-Sparing Mastectomy With Delayed Implant Exchange Versus Immediate Tissue Expander Reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg. 2016 Jun;76 Suppl 4:S332-S335. Pubmedid: 27755066.
- Dayicioglu D, Tugertimur B, Munzenmaier K, Khan M, Smith P, Murr M, Kumar A, Khakpour N. Outcomes of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Using Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforator Flap After Massive Weight Loss. Ann Plast Surg. 2016 Jun;76 Suppl 4:S286-S289. Pubmedid: 26808755.
- Dossett LA, Lowe J, Sun W, Lee MC, Smith PD, Jacobsen PB, Laronga C. Prospective evaluation of skin and nipple-areola sensation and patient satisfaction after nipple-sparing mastectomy. J Surg Oncol. 2016 Jul;114(1):11-16. Pubmedid: 27087574.
- Applebaum MA, Miller BT, Lopez J, Doren EL, Laronga C, Smith PD. Change in Body Mass Index After Breast Reconstruction and Associated Complications. Eplasty. 2015 Sep;15:e43. Pubmedid: 26464749. Pmcid: PMC4591699.
- Jacewicz A, Schwer B, Smith P, Shuman S. Crystal structure, mutational analysis and RNA-dependent ATPase activity of the yeast DEAD-box pre-mRNA splicing factor Prp28. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014 Nov;42(20):12885-12898. Pubmedid: 25303995. Pmcid: PMC4227776.
- Toloza E, Sobky C, Pimiento J, Garrett J, Pappas-Politis E, Deneve J, Kim D, Plank D, Smith P, Gonzalez R. Multilevel Costovertebral Reconstruction With the Synthes MatrixRIB Fixation System and Vicryl Mesh After Radical Chest Wall Resection for Sarcoma: A Case Report. Chest. 2014 Mar;145(3 Suppl):34A. Pubmedid: 24638509.
- Suber JS, Dinh TP, Prince MD, Smith PD. OnabotulinumtoxinA for the treatment of a "gummy smile". Aesthet Surg J. 2014 Mar;34(3):432-437. Pubmedid: 24676413.
- Doren EL, Van Eldik Kuykendall L, Lopez JJ, Laronga C, Smith PD. Free nipple grafting: an alternative for patients ineligible for nipple-sparing mastectomy?. Ann Plast Surg. 2014 Jun;72 Suppl 2:S112-S115. Pubmedid: 24374396.
- Laronga C, Smith P. Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy: An Oncologic and Cosmetic Perspective. Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2014 Jul;23(3):549-566. Pubmedid: 24882350.
- Shen R, Raska M, Bimczok D, Novak J, Smith PD. HIV-1 envelope glycan moieties modulate HIV-1 transmission. J Virol. 2014 Dec;88(24):14258-14267. Pubmedid: 25275130. Pmcid: PMC4249159.
- Bola BM, Chadwick AL, Michopoulos F, Blount KG, Telfer BA, Williams KJ, Smith PD, Critchlow SE, Stratford IJ. Inhibition of monocarboxylate transporter-1 (MCT1) by AZD3965 enhances radiosensitivity by reducing lactate transport. Mol Cancer Ther. 2014 Dec;13(12):2805-2816. Pubmedid: 25281618. Pmcid: PMC4258406.
- Doren EL, Parikh RP, Laronga C, Hiro ME, Sun W, Lee MC, Smith PD, Fulp WJ. Sequelae of fat grafting postmastectomy: an algorithm for management of fat necrosis. Eplasty. 2013 Jan;12:e53. Pubmedid: 23308300. Pmcid: PMC3516285.
- Daggett JR, Chung S, Smith PD. Bilateral spontaneous, simultaneous lower extremity hematomas in a patient on dalteparin. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2013 Dec;4(12):1080-1083. Pubmedid: 24240072. Pmcid: PMC3860035.
- Laronga C, Lewis JD, Smith PD. The changing face of mastectomy: an oncologic and cosmetic perspective. Cancer Control. 2012 Oct;19(4):286-294. Pubmedid: 23037496.
- Parikh RP, Doren EL, Mooney B, Sun WV, Laronga C, Smith PD. Differentiating fat necrosis from recurrent malignancy in fat-grafted breasts: an imaging classification system to guide management. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Oct;130(4):761-772. Pubmedid: 23018689.
- Suber J, Malafa M, Smith P, Laronga C. Prosthetic breast reconstruction after implant-sparing mastectomy in patients with submuscular implants. Ann Plast Surg. 2011 May;66(5):546-550. Pubmedid: 21451381.
- Meng J, Fang B, Liao Y, Chresta CM, Smith PD, Roth JA. Apoptosis induction by MEK inhibition in human lung cancer cells is mediated by Bim. PLoS One. 2010 Sep;5(9):e13026. Pubmedid: 20885957. Pmcid: PMC2946397.
- Durkin AJ, Pierpont YN, Patel S, Tavana ML, Uberti MG, Payne WG, Smith DJ, Smith PD. An algorithmic approach to breast reconstruction using latissimus dorsi myocutaneous flaps. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010 May;125(5):1318-1327. Pubmedid: 20145585.
- Rohrich RJ, Rios JL, Smith PD, Gutowski KA. Neck rejuvenation revisited. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006 Oct;118(5):1251-1263. Pubmedid: 17016198.
- Franz MG, Smith PD, Wachtel TL, Wright TE, Kuhn MA, Ko F, Robson MC. Fascial incisions heal faster than skin: a new model of abdominal wall repair. Surgery. 2001 Feb;129(2):203-208. Pubmedid: 11174713.
- Robson MC, Maggi SP, Smith PD, Wassermann RJ, Mosiello GC, Hill DP, Cooper DM. Original articles: ease of wound closure as an endpoint of treatment efficacy. Wound Repair Regen. 1999 Mar;7(2):90-96. Pubmedid: 10231510.
- Finger PT, Moshfeghi DM, Smith PD, Perry HD. Microwave cyclodestruction for glaucoma in a rabbit model. Arch Ophthalmol. 1991 Jul;109(7):1001-1004. Pubmedid: 2064553.