Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Find a Doctor
Nazanin Khakpour, MD, FACS
Locations: Moffitt McKinley Outpatient Center
Cancer Focus: Breast Cancer, Ductal Carcinoma In Situ , Inflammatory Breast Cancer , Invasive Ductal Carcinoma , Triple Negative Breast Cancer
Dr. Khakpour is a surgical oncologist in the Department of Breast Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center. In addition to treating patients, she directs the Breast Fellowship Program, helping train the next generation of physicians pursuing advanced training in oncology. She also serves as an instructor and mentor for medical students and resident physicians. As treatment for breast cancer becomes more complex and differentiated by tumor type, Dr. Khakpour believes it is essential for physicians to be well trained in all aspects of this multifaceted disease. Dr. Khakpour enjoys helping women understand the many treatment options that are available to them and making sure they are aware of the value of obtaining a second opinion. At Moffitt, each patient’s care plan is reviewed by a highly expert team of physicians with extensive, focused training in their area of specialty, giving them additional insights and knowledge to help make the best decision for that individual. Dr. Khakpour’s research interests include investigating disease recurrence after lumpectomy with the goal of identifying the most appropriate patients for breast conservation surgery. She is a member of the Breast Cancer Screening Committee for the National Comprehensive Care Network and the Scientific Review Panel for the National Institutes of Health. Dr. Khakpour speaks Spanish, French and Farsi.
Education & Training
- University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center - Breast Surgical Oncology
- Baylor College of Medicine - General Surgery
- Baylor College of Medicine - General Surgery
- Emory University School of MedicineMD
- Pointer DT, Durgan DM, Kis B, Khakpour N, Kiluk JV. High-output chyle leak after breast-conserving surgery and sentinel lymph node biopsy. Breast J. 2020 Mar.26(3):514-516. Pubmedid: 31495018.
- Burke EE, Laronga C, Sun W, DeBiase S, Naqvi SMH, Fridley B, Czerniecki BJ, Hoover SJ, Khakpour N, Kiluk JV, Lee MC. Implant-sparing Mastectomy: An Alternative for Women Undergoing Mastectomy With Retropectoral Implants. Clin Breast Cancer. 2020 Feb.20(1):e14-e19. Pubmedid: 31780380.
- Denlinger CS, Sanft T, Moslehi JJ, Overholser L, Armenian S, Baker KS, Broderick G, Demark-Wahnefried W, Friedman DL, Goldman M, Henry NL, Hill-Kayser C, Hudson M, Khakpour N, Koura D, McDonough AL, Melisko M, Mooney K, Moore HCF, Moryl N, O'Connor T, Paskett ED, Patel C, Peterson L, Pirl W, Rodriguez MA, Ruddy KJ, Shockney L, Smith S, Syrjala KL, Tevaarwerk A, Zee P, McMillian NR, Freedman-Cass DA. NCCN Guidelines Insights: Survivorship, Version 2.2020. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2020 Aug.18(8):1016-1023. Pubmedid: 32755975.
- Sun J, Henry DA, Carr MJ, Yazdankhahkenary A, Laronga C, Lee MC, Hoover SJ, Sun W, Czerniecki BJ, Khakpour N, Kiluk JV. Feasibility of Axillary Lymph Node Localization and Excision Using Radar Reflector Localization. Clin Breast Cancer. 2020 Aug. Pubmedid: 32893094.
- Sanft T, Denlinger CS, Armenian S, Baker KS, Broderick G, Demark-Wahnefried W, Friedman DL, Goldman M, Hudson M, Khakpour N, Koura D, Lally RM, Langbaum TS, McDonough AL, Melisko M, Mooney K, Moore HCF, Moslehi JJ, O'Connor T, Overholser L, Paskett ED, Peterson L, Pirl W, Rodriguez MA, Ruddy KJ, Smith S, Syrjala KL, Tevaarwerk A, Urba SG, Zee P, McMillian NR, Freedman-Cass DA. NCCN Guidelines Insights: Survivorship, Version 2.2019. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2019 Jul.17(7):784-794. Pubmedid: 31319383. Pmcid: PMC7094216.
- Denlinger CS, Sanft T, Baker KS, Broderick G, Demark-Wahnefried W, Friedman DL, Goldman M, Hudson M, Khakpour N, King A, Koura D, Lally RM, Langbaum TS, McDonough AL, Melisko M, Montoya JG, Mooney K, Moslehi JJ, O'Connor T, Overholser L, Paskett ED, Peppercorn J, Pirl W, Rodriguez MA, Ruddy KJ, Silverman P, Smith S, Syrjala KL, Tevaarwerk A, Urba SG, Wakabayashi MT, Zee P, McMillian NR, Freedman-Cass DA. Survivorship, Version 2.2018, NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2018 Oct.16(10):1216-1247. Pubmedid: 30323092. Pmcid: PMC6438378.
- Kuritzky A, Walheim L, Khakpour N. Cancer identified in accessory breast tissue within the mid axilla. Breast J. 2018 May;24(3):414-415. Pubmedid: 29063657.
- Mills MN, Yang GQ, Oliver DE, Liveringhouse CL, Ahmed KA, Orman AG, Laronga C, Hoover SJ, Khakpour N, Costa RLB, Diaz R. Histologic heterogeneity of triple negative breast cancer: A National Cancer Centre Database analysis. Eur J Cancer. 2018 Jul.98:48-58. Pubmedid: 29870876.
- Denlinger CS, Sanft T, Baker KS, Baxi S, Broderick G, Demark-Wahnefried W, Friedman DL, Goldman M, Hudson M, Khakpour N, King A, Koura D, Kvale E, Lally RM, Langbaum TS, Melisko M, Montoya JG, Mooney K, Moslehi JJ, O'Connor T, Overholser L, Paskett ED, Peppercorn J, Rodriguez MA, Ruddy KJ, Silverman P, Smith S, Syrjala KL, Tevaarwerk A, Urba SG, Wakabayashi MT, Zee P, Freedman-Cass DA, McMillian NR. Survivorship, Version 2.2017, NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2017 Sep;15(9):1140-1163. Pubmedid: 28874599. Pmcid: PMC5865602.
- Mattingly AE, Ma Z, Smith PD, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Hoover SJ, Laronga C, Lee MC. Early Postoperative Complications after Oncoplastic Reduction. South Med J. 2017 Oct;110(10):660-666. Pubmedid: 28973708.
- Mattingly AE, Mooney B, Lin HY, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Hoover SJ, Laronga C, Lee MC. Magnetic Resonance Imaging for Axillary Breast Cancer Metastasis in the Neoadjuvant Setting: A Prospective Study. Clin Breast Cancer. 2017 Jun;17(3):180-187. Pubmedid: 27956116.
- Prabhakaran S, Elston JB, Lleshi A, Kumar A, Sun W, Khakpour N, Dayicioglu D. Single Institution Review of Patients With Prior Breast Augmentation Undergoing Breast Conservation Therapy for Breast Cancer. Ann Plast Surg. 2017 Jun;78(6S Suppl 5):S289-S291. Pubmedid: 28328631.
- Mellon EA, Orman A, Joya LE, Montejo ME, Laronga C, Hoover SJ, Lee MC, Khakpour N, Kubal PF, Diaz R. Frequency of whole breast radiation therapy after intraoperative radiation therapy due to criteria identified by lumpectomy. Brachytherapy. 2017 Jul;16(1):174-180. Pubmedid: 27816540.
- González SJ, Mooney B, Lin HY, Zhao X, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Lee MC. 2-D and 3-D Ultrasound for Tumor Volume Analysis: A Prospective Study. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2017 Apr;43(4):775-781. Pubmedid: 28187928.
- Dayicioglu D, Tugertimur B, Munzenmaier K, Khan M, Smith P, Murr M, Kumar A, Khakpour N. Outcomes of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Using Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforator Flap After Massive Weight Loss. Ann Plast Surg. 2016 Jun.76 Suppl 4:S286-S289. Pubmedid: 26808755.
- Parabkaharan S, Melody M, Trotta R, Lleshi A, Sun W, Smith PD, Khakpour N, Dayicioglu D. Comparison of Reconstructive Outcomes in Breast Cancer Patients With Preexisting Subpectoral Implants: Implant-Sparing Mastectomy With Delayed Implant Exchange Versus Immediate Tissue Expander Reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg. 2016 Jun;76 Suppl 4:S332-S335. Pubmedid: 27187252.
- Dayicioglu D, Tugertimur B, Zemina K, Dallarosa J, Killebrew S, Wilson A, Atisha D, Khakpour N. Vertical Mastectomy Incision in Implant Breast Reconstruction After Skin Sparing Mastectomy: Advantages and Outcomes. Ann Plast Surg. 2016 Jun;76 Suppl 4:S290-S294. Pubmedid: 27187251.
- Prabhakaran S, Melody M, Trotta R, Lleshi A, Sun W, Smith PD, Khakpour N, Dayicioglu D. Comparison of Reconstructive Outcomes in Breast Cancer Patients With Preexisting Subpectoral Implants: Implant-Sparing Mastectomy With Delayed Implant Exchange Versus Immediate Tissue Expander Reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg. 2016 Jun;76 Suppl 4:S332-S335. Pubmedid: 27755066.
- Acs G, Khakpour N, Kiluk J, Lee MC, Laronga C. The presence of extensive retraction clefts in invasive breast carcinomas correlates with lymphatic invasion and nodal metastasis and predicts poor outcome: a prospective validation study of 2742 consecutive cases. Am J Surg Pathol. 2015 Mar.39(3):325-337. Pubmedid: 25353283.
- Reyna C, Kiluk JV, Frelick A, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Lee MC. Impact of axillary ultrasound (AUS) on axillary dissection in breast conserving surgery (BCS). J Surg Oncol. 2015 Jun;111(7):813-818. Pubmedid: 25753101.
- Roetzheim RG, Lee JH, Fulp W, Matos Gomez E, Clayton E, Tollin S, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Lee MC, Kiluk JV. Acceptance and adherence to chemoprevention among women at increased risk of breast cancer. Breast. 2015 Feb;24(1):51-56. Pubmedid: 25491191. Pmcid: PMC4503358.
- Reyna C, Lee MC, Frelick A, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Kiluk JV. Axillary burden of disease following false-negative preoperative axillary evaluation. Am J Surg. 2014 Oct;208(4):577-581. Pubmedid: 25118162.
- Kiluk JV, Prowler V, Lee MC, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Cox CE. Contralateral axillary nodal involvement from invasive breast cancer. Breast. 2014 Jun;23(3):291-294. Pubmedid: 24709584.
- Goble RN, Drukteinis JS, Lee MC, Khakpour N, Kiluk JV, Laronga C. Early experience with ultrasound features after intrabeam intraoperative radiation for early stage breast cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2014 Jun;109(8):751-755. Pubmedid: 24862923.
- Prowler VL, Joh JE, Acs G, Kiluk JV, Laronga C, Khakpour N, Lee MC. Surgical excision of pure flat epithelial atypia identified on core needle breast biopsy. Breast. 2014 Aug;23(4):352-356. Pubmedid: 24518220.
- Williams M, Eatrides J, Kim J, Talwar H, Esposito N, Szabunio M, Ismail-Khan R, Kiluk J, Lee M, Laronga C, Khakpour N. Comparison of breast magnetic resonance imaging clinical tumor size with pathologic tumor size in patients status post-neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Am J Surg. 2013 Oct;206(4):567-573. Pubmedid: 23809673.
- Joh JE, Esposito NN, Kiluk JV, Laronga C, Khakpour N, Soliman H, Catherine Lee M. Pathologic tumor response of invasive lobular carcinoma to neo-adjuvant chemotherapy. Breast J. 2013 Apr;18(6):569-574. Pubmedid: 23034096.
- Walsh N, Kiluk JV, Sun W, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Lee MC. Ipsilateral nodal recurrence after axillary dissection for breast cancer. J Surg Res. 2012 Sep.177(1):81-86. Pubmedid: 22498028.
- Kaur P, Santillan AA, McGuire K, Turaga KK, Shamehdi C, Meade T, Ramos D, Mathias M, Parbhoo J, Davis M, Khakpour N, King J, Balducci L, Cox CE. The surgical treatment of breast cancer in the elderly: a single institution comparative review of 5235 patients with 1028 patients ≥70 years. Breast J. 2012 Sep;18(5):428-435. Pubmedid: 22957995.
- Turaga KK, Chau A, Eatrides JM, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Lee MC. Selective application of routine preoperative axillary ultrasonography reduces costs for invasive breast cancers. Oncologist. 2012 Jan;16(7):942-948. Pubmedid: 21572122. Pmcid: PMC3228129.
- Joh JE, Han G, Kiluk JV, Laronga C, Khakpour N, Lee MC. Indications for axillary ultrasound use in breast cancer patients. Clin Breast Cancer. 2012 Dec.12(6):433-437. Pubmedid: 23062709.
- Pimiento JM, Lee MC, Esposito NN, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Carter WB, Han G, Laronga C. Role of axillary staging in women diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ with microinvasion. J Oncol Pract. 2011 Sep;7(5):309-313. Pubmedid: 22211128. Pmcid: PMC3170064.
- Pimiento JM, Gadgil PV, Santillan AA, Lee MC, Esposito NN, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Hartley TL, Yeh IT, Laronga C. Phyllodes tumors: race-related differences. J Am Coll Surg. 2011 Oct;213(4):537-542. Pubmedid: 21856184.
- Nasir A, Chen DT, Gruidl M, Henderson-Jackson EB, Venkataramu C, McCarthy SM, McBride HL, Harris E, Khakpour N, Yeatman TJ. Novel molecular markers of malignancy in histologically normal and benign breast. Patholog Res Int. 2011 Nov;2011:489064. Pubmedid: 21785684. Pmcid: PMC3140260.
- Lee MC, Eatrides J, Chau A, Han G, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Cox CE, Carter WB, Laronga C. Consequences of axillary ultrasound in patients with T2 or greater invasive breast cancers. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011 Jan;18(1):72-77. Pubmedid: 20585876.
- Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Lee MC, Lowe J, Harris E, Szabunio M, Laronga C. Management of abnormal Rotter's lymph nodes identified on preoperative breast magnetic resonance imaging. Am Surg. 2011 Jan;77(1):E10-E12. Pubmedid: 21396292.
- Mohiuddin MM, Zhang B, Tkaczuk K, Khakpour N. Upright, standing technique for breast radiation treatment in the morbidly-obese patient. Breast J. 2010 Jul;16(4):448-450. Pubmedid: 20522098.
- Riddle ND, Yamauchi H, Caracciolo JT, Cheong D, Khakpour N, Bui MM. Giant cell tumor of the anterior rib masquerading as a breast mass: a case report and review of current literature. Cases J. 2010 Feb;3:51. Pubmedid: 20205847. Pmcid: PMC2825505.
- McGuire KP, Eisen S, Rodriguez A, Meade T, Cox CE, Khakpour N. Factors associated with improved outcome after surgery in metastatic breast cancer patients. Am J Surg. 2009 Oct;198(4):511-515. Pubmedid: 19800458.
- Bevers TB, Anderson BO, Bonaccio E, Buys S, Buys S, Daly MB, Dempsey PJ, Farrar WB, Fleming I, Garber JE, Harris RE, Heerdt AS, Helvie M, Huff JG, Khakpour N, Khan SA, Krontiras H, Lyman G, Rafferty E, Shaw S, Smith ML, Tsangaris TN, Williams C, Yaneeklov T. NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology: breast cancer screening and diagnosis. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2009 Nov;7(10):1060-1096. Pubmedid: 19930975.
- Marulanda G, Mont M, Lucci A, Letson G, Khakpour N. Orthopedic surgery implications of breast cancer. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2008 Jun;8(6):949-956. Pubmedid: 18533804.
- Chumsri S, Phatak P, Edelman MJ, Khakpour N, Hamburger AW, Burger AM. Cancer stem cells and individualized therapy. Cancer Genomics Proteomics. 2007;4(3):165-174. Pubmedid: 17878520.
- Boughey J, Khakpour N, Meric-Bernstam F, Ross M, Kuerer H, Singletary S, Babiera G, Arun B, Hunt K, Bedrosian I. Selective use of sentinel lymph node surgery during prophylactic mastectomy. Cancer. 2006 Oct;107(7):1440-1447. Pubmedid: 16955504.
- Khakpour N, Zager J, Yen T, Stephens T, Kuerer H, Singletary E, Ross M, Hunt K, Babiera G. The role of ultrasound in the surgical management of patients diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast. Breast J. 2006 May;12(3):212-215. Pubmedid: 16684318.
- Royak-Schaler R, DeYoung C, Khakpour N, Ross D, Tkaczuk K, Gadalla S. Readers respond to "balancing evidence-based medicine and cultural competence in the quest to end healthcare disparities". MedGenMed. 2006;8(3):73. Pubmedid: 17415934. Pmcid: PMC1781273.
- Khakpour N, Hunt K, Kuerer H, Yi M, Meric-Bernstam F, Ross M, Lucci A. Sentinel lymph node dissection provides axillary control equal to complete axillary node dissection in breast cancer patients with lobular histology and a negative sentinel node. Am J Surg. 2005 Oct;190(4):598-601. Pubmedid: 16164930.
- Chatterjee A, Dayicioglu D, Khakpour N, Czerniecki BJ. Oncoplastic Surgery: Keeping It Simple With 5 Essential Volume Displacement Techniques for Breast Conservation in a Patient With Moderate- to Large-Sized Breasts. Cancer Control. 24(4):1073274817729043. Pubmedid: 28975837. Pmcid: PMC5937235.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.