Find a Doctor Search
Dr. Loretta Loftus is a medical oncologist specializing in breast cancer and a senior member of the Don & Erika Wallace Comprehensive Breast Program at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Loftus is Moffitt’s principal investigator of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network Breast Outcomes Project, which is a national database and resource for best practice decisions. She is also a member of the NCCN panel for breast cancer risk assessment and reduction. Dr. Loftus helped develop Moffitt’s Lifetime Cancer Screening Center high risk breast clinic for women at increased risk based on family history. She is actively involved in patient care, teaching and research activities, and is a member of numerous regional, national and international medical organizations. In addition to her research in breast cancer, Dr. Loftus participates in studies related to geriatric cancer and is a member of the International Society of Geriatric Oncology. The art and humanistic side of medicine interests Dr. Loftus. She has lectured frequently on this topic and on the life, art and illness of well-known public figures, such as writer Sylvia Plath and artists Vincent Van Gogh and Georgia O’Keefe. Dr. Loftus has an MBA from the University of South Florida and is a member of the Mystery Writers of America. She is currently working on a mystery novel.
Education & Training
- Medical Oncology
- University of Rochester Medical Center - Hematology and Medical Oncology
- University of Kansas Medical Center - Internal Medicine
- University of Kansas School of Medicine - MD
CLINICAL TRIAL 17835
A Phase 3 Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Carboplatin and Paclitaxel With or Without the PARP Inhibitor Veliparib (ABT-888) in HER2-Negative Metastatic or Locally Advanced Unresectable BRCA-Associated Breast Cancer
Intervention: Not Applicable; Paraplatin (carboplatin); Placebo; Taxol (paclitaxel); Veliparib (ABT-888); carboplatin; paclitaxel
CLINICAL TRIAL 18356
A Randomized Phase III Trial Comparing Axillary Lymph Node Dissection to Axillary Radiation in Breast Cancer Patients who have Positive Sentinel Lymph Node Disease After Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy
CLINICAL TRIAL 18386
A Randomized Phase III Clinical Trial Evaluating Post-Mastectomy Chestwall and Regional Nodal XRT and Post-Lumpectomy Regional Nodal XRT in Patients with Positive Axillary Nodes Before Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy Who Convert to Pathologically Negative Axillary Nodes After Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy
Intervention: Not Applicable
CLINICAL TRIAL 18862
A Phase 1, Open-Label, Dose-Escalation Study to Evaluate the Safety and Tolerability of SGN-LIV1A in Patients with LIV-1-Positive Metastatic Breast Cancer
Intervention: Herceptin (Trastuzumab); SGN-LIV1A; Trastuzumab; rhuMAb HER2 (Trastuzumab)
CLINICAL TRIAL 17268
I-SPY 2 TRIAL (Investigation of Serial Studies to Predict Your Therapeutic Response with Imaging And moLecular Analysis 2)
Intervention: AMG 386; Adriamycin (doxorubicin); BMN-673 (Talazoparib); CPT-11 (irinotecan); Camptosar (irinotecan); Ganetespib (STA-9090); Ganitumab; Herceptin (Trastuzumab); MK-2206; Not Applicable; PLX3397; Patritumab; Pembrolizumab (Keytruda); Pertuzumab; SGN-LIV1A; T-DM1; Talazoparib; Taxol (paclitaxel); Trastuzumab; U3-1287 (Patritumab); cyclophosphamide; cytoxan (cyclophosphamide); doxorubicin; irinotecan; paclitaxel; rhuMAb HER2 (Trastuzumab)
CLINICAL TRIAL 18079
Combination Immunotherapy with Herceptin and the HER2 Vaccine E75 in Low and Intermediate HER2-expressing Breast Cancer Patients to Prevent Recurrence
Intervention: E75; GM-CSF; Herceptin (Trastuzumab); Leukine (GM-CSF); Placebo; sargramostatin (GM-CSF)
CLINICAL TRIAL 18977
Phase 2 Study of the Safety, Efficacy, and Pharmacokinetics of G1T28 in Patients with Metastatic Triple Negative Breast Cancer Receiving Gemcitabine and Carboplatin Chemotherapy
Intervention: G1T28 (Trilaciclib); Gemzar (gemcitabine); Paraplatin (carboplatin); Trilaciclib; carboplatin; gemcitabine
CLINICAL TRIAL 19105
A Phase 1b Study of Safety and Immune Response to PVX-410 Vaccine Alone and in Combination with an Antibody Targeting the PD-1/PD-L1 Pathway in HLA-A2+ Subjects Who Have Completed Initial Standard Treatment of Stage II or III Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC)
Intervention: AMP-514 (Durvalumab); Durvalumab; MEDI4736 (Durvalumab); PVX-410
CLINICAL TRIAL 18979
A Phase II Multiple-Arm, Open-Label, Randomized Study of PARP inhibition (veliparib; ABT-888) and Anti-PD-L1 Therapy (atezolizumab; MPDL3280A) Either alone or in Combination in Homologous DNA Repair (HDR) Deficient Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC)
Intervention: ABT-888; Atezolizumab (Tecentriq); Veliparib (ABT-888)
CLINICAL TRIAL 18936
A Phase I-II Study of Interferon-gamma Plus Weekly Paclitaxel, Trastuzumab and Pertuzumab in Patients with HER-2 Positive Breast Cancer
Intervention: Herceptin (Trastuzumab); Pertuzumab; Taxol (paclitaxel); Trastuzumab; interferon gamma (Actimmune); paclitaxel; rhuMAb HER2 (Trastuzumab)
If you believe you are eligible for one of these trials or studies, please call
- Loftus LS, Sokol GH, Laronga C. Breast Cancer Survivorship: Patient Characteristics and Plans for High-Quality Care. South Med J. 2017 Oct;110(10):673-677. Pubmedid: 28973710.
- Abbott AM, Valente SA, Loftus L, Tendulkar RD, Greif JM, Bethke KP, Donnelly ED, Lottich C, Ross DL, Friedman NB, Bedi CG, Joh JE, Kelemen P, Hoefer RA, Kang SK, Ruffer J, Police A, Fyles A, Graves GM, Willey SC, Tousimis EA, Small W, Lyons J, Grobmyer S, Laronga C. A multi-institutional analysis of intraoperative radiotherapy for early breast cancer: Does age matter?. Am J Surg. 2017 Oct;214(4):629-633. Pubmedid: 28918848.
- Nanjappa S, Pla-Fernandez CA, Apuri S, Loftus L, Kis B. Liver-Directed Embolization for the Long-Term Control of Hypercalcemia of Malignancy in Metastatic Breast Cancer. Cancer Control. 2017 Jan;24(1):57-59. Pubmedid: 28178714.
- Valente SA, Tendulkar RD, Cherian S, O'Rourke C, Greif JM, Bailey L, Uhl V, Bethke KP, Donnelly ED, Rudolph R, Pederson A, Summer T, Lottich SC, Ross DL, Laronga C, Loftus L, Abbott AM, Kelemen P, Hermanto U, Friedman NB, Bedi GC, Joh JE, Thompson WA, Hoefer RA, Wilson JP, Kang SK, Rosen B, Ruffer J, Bravo L, Police A, Escallon JM, Fyles AW, McCready DR, Graves GM, Rohatgi N, Eaker JA, Graves J, Willey SC, Tousimis EA, Collins BT, Shaw CM, Riley L, Deb N, Kelly T, Andolino DL, Boisvert ME, Lyons J, Small W, Grobmyer SR. TARGIT-R (Retrospective): North American Experience with Intraoperative Radiation Using Low-Kilovoltage X-Rays for Breast Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016 Sep;23(9):2809-2815. Pubmedid: 27160524.
- Abbott AM, Dossett LA, Loftus L, Sun W, Fulp W, Sokol GH, Laronga C. Intraoperative radiotherapy for early breast cancer and age: clinical characteristics and outcomes. Am J Surg. 2015 Oct;210(4):624-628. Pubmedid: 26238075.
- Bevers TB, Ward JH, Arun BK, Colditz GA, Cowan KH, Daly MB, Garber JE, Gemignani ML, Gradishar WJ, Jordan JA, Korde LA, Kounalakis N, Krontiras H, Kumar S, Kurian A, Laronga C, Layman RM, Loftus LS, Mahoney MC, Merajver SD, Meszoely IM, Mortimer J, Newman L, Pritchard E, Pruthi S, Seewaldt V, Specht MC, Visvanathan K, Wallace A, Bergman MA, Kumar R. Breast Cancer Risk Reduction, Version 2.2015. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2015 Jul;13(7):880-915. Pubmedid: 26150582.
- Loftus L, Laronga C, Coyne K, Hildreth L. Race of the clock: reducing delay to curative breast cancer surgery. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2014 Feb;12 Suppl 1:S13-S15. Pubmedid: 24614044.
- Acs G, Kiluk J, Loftus L, Laronga C. Comparison of Oncotype DX and Mammostrat risk estimations and correlations with histologic tumor features in low-grade, estrogen receptor-positive invasive breast carcinomas. Mod Pathol. 2013 Nov;26(11):1451-1460. Pubmedid: 23743933.
- Jacobsen PB, Phillips KM, Jim HS, Small BJ, Faul LA, Meade CD, Thompson L, Williams CC, Loftus LS, Fishman M, Wilson RW. Effects of self-directed stress management training and home-based exercise on quality of life in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy: a randomized controlled trial. Psychooncology. 2012 Jun;22(6):1229-1235. Pubmedid: 22715124.
- Vandergrift JL, Niland JC, Theriault RL, Edge SB, Wong YN, Loftus LS, Breslin TM, Hudis CA, Javid SH, Rugo HS, Silver SM, Lepisto EM, Weeks JC. Time to adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer in National Comprehensive Cancer Network institutions. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013 Jan;105(2):104-112. Pubmedid: 23264681. Pmcid: PMC3611850.
- Lengacher CA, Kip KE, Post-White J, Fitzgerald S, Newton C, Barta M, Jacobsen PB, Shelton MM, Moscoso M, Johnson-Mallard V, Harris E, Loftus L, Cox C, Le N, Goodman M, Djeu J, Widen RH, Bercu BB, Klein TW. Lymphocyte Recovery After Breast Cancer Treatment and Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Therapy. Biol Res Nurs. 2013 Jan;15(1):37-47. Pubmedid: 22084404.
- Lengacher CA, Kip KE, Barta M, Post-White J, Jacobsen P, Groer M, Lehman B, Moscoso MS, Kadel R, Le N, Loftus L, Stevens CA, Malafa MP, Shelton MM. A pilot study evaluating the effect of mindfulness-based stress reduction on psychological status, physical status, salivary cortisol, and interleukin-6 among advanced-stage cancer patients and their caregivers. J Holist Nurs. 2012 Sep;30(3):170-185. Pubmedid: 22442202.
- Bardhan P, Bui MM, Minton S, Loftus L, Carter WB, Laronga C, Ismail-Khan R. HER2-positive male breast cancer with thyroid cancer: an institutional report and review of literature. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2012 May;42(2):135-139. Pubmedid: 22585608.
- Lee MC, Plews R, Rawal B, Kiluk JV, Loftus L, Laronga C. Factors affecting lymph node yield in patients undergoing axillary node dissection for primary breast cancer: a single-institution review. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Jun;19(6):1818-1824. Pubmedid: 22203185.
- Joh JE, Esposito NN, Kiluk JV, Laronga C, Lee MC, Loftus L, Soliman H, Boughey JC, Reynolds C, Lawton TJ, Acs PI, Gordan L, Acs G. The effect of Oncotype DX recurrence score on treatment recommendations for patients with estrogen receptor-positive early stage breast cancer and correlation with estimation of recurrence risk by breast cancer specialists. Oncologist. 2012 Jun;16(11):1520-1526. Pubmedid: 22016474. Pmcid: PMC3233285.
- Loftus LS, Edwards-Bennett S, Sokol GH. Systemic therapy for bone metastases. Cancer Control. 2012 Apr;19(2):145-153. Pubmedid: 22487977.
- Acs G, Esposito NN, Kiluk J, Loftus L, Laronga C. A mitotically active, cellular tumor stroma and/or inflammatory cells associated with tumor cells may contribute to intermediate or high Oncotype DX Recurrence Scores in low-grade invasive breast carcinomas. Mod Pathol. 2012 Apr;25(4):556-566. Pubmedid: 22173289.
- Burris JL, Jacobsen PB, Loftus LS, Andrykowski MA. Breast cancer recurrence risk reduction beliefs in breast cancer survivors: prevalence and relation to behavior. Psychooncology. 2012 Apr;21(4):427-435. Pubmedid: 21312312. Pmcid: PMC3116938.
- Bevers TB, Armstrong DK, Arun B, Carlson RW, Cowan KH, Daly MB, Fleming I, Garber JE, Gemignani M, Gradishar WJ, Krontiras H, Kulkarni S, Laronga C, Loftus L, Macdonald DJ, Mahoney MC, Merajver SD, Meszoely I, Newman L, Pritchard E, Seewaldt V, Sellin RV, Shapiro CL, Ward JH. Breast cancer risk reduction. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2010 Oct;8(10):1112-1146. Pubmedid: 20971838.
- Faul LA, Jim HS, Williams C, Loftus L, Jacobsen PB. Relationship of stress management skill to psychological distress and quality of life in adults with cancer. Psychooncology. 2010 Jan;19(1):102-109. Pubmedid: 19253915.
- Loftus LS, Laronga C. Evaluating patients with chronic pain after breast cancer surgery: the search for relief. Jama. 2009 Nov;302(18):2034-2035. Pubmedid: 19903928.