Find a Doctor
Loretta Loftus, MD, MBA
Cancer Focus: Breast Cancer, Ductal Carcinoma In Situ , Inflammatory Breast Cancer , Invasive Ductal Carcinoma , Triple Negative Breast Cancer
Dr. Loretta Loftus is a medical oncologist and a senior member in the Department of Breast Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Loftus is Moffitt’s principal investigator of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network Breast Outcomes Project, which is a national database and resource for best practice decisions. She is also a member of the NCCN panel for breast cancer risk assessment and reduction. Dr. Loftus helped develop Moffitt’s Lifetime Cancer Screening Center high risk breast clinic for women at increased risk based on family history. She is actively involved in patient care, teaching and research activities, and is a member of numerous regional, national and international medical organizations. In addition to her research in breast cancer, Dr. Loftus participates in studies related to geriatric cancer and is a member of the International Society of Geriatric Oncology. The art and humanistic side of medicine interests Dr. Loftus. She has lectured frequently on this topic and on the life, art and illness of well-known public figures, such as writer Sylvia Plath and artists Vincent Van Gogh and Georgia O’Keefe. Dr. Loftus has an MBA from the University of South Florida and is a member of the Mystery Writers of America. She is currently working on a mystery novel.
Education & Training
- Medical Oncology
- University of Rochester Medical Center - Hematology and Medical Oncology
- University of Kansas Medical Center - Internal Medicine
- University of Kansas School of Medicine - MD
- Mills M, Liveringhouse C, Lee F, Nanda RH, Ahmed KA, Washington IR, Thapa R, Fridley BL, Blumencranz P, Extermann M, Loftus L, Balducci L, Diaz R. The prevalence of luminal B subtype is higher in older postmenopausal women with ER+/HER2- breast cancer and is associated with inferior outcomes. Geriatr Oncol. 2021 Mar.12(2):219-226. Pubmedid: 32859560. Pmcid: PMC7907245.
- Sun J, Mathias BJ, Sun W, Fulp WJ, Zhou JM, Laronga C, Loftus LS, Lee MC. Is it Wise to Omit Sentinel Node Biopsy in Elderly Patients with Breast Cancer?. Ann Surg Oncol. 2021 Jan.28(1):320-329. Pubmedid: 32613363.
- Sun J, Loftus LS, Lee MC. ASO Author Reflections: The De-Escalation of Sentinel Node Biopsy for Breast Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2020 Dec.27(Suppl 3):838-839. Pubmedid: 32666299.
- Loftus LS, Sokol GH, Laronga C. Breast Cancer Survivorship: Patient Characteristics and Plans for High-Quality Care. South Med J. 2017 Oct.110(10):673-677. Pubmedid: 28973710.
- Abbott AM, Valente SA, Loftus L, Tendulkar RD, Greif JM, Bethke KP, Donnelly ED, Lottich C, Ross DL, Friedman NB, Bedi CG, Joh JE, Kelemen P, Hoefer RA, Kang SK, Ruffer J, Police A, Fyles A, Graves GM, Willey SC, Tousimis EA, Small W, Lyons J, Grobmyer S, Laronga C. A multi-institutional analysis of intraoperative radiotherapy for early breast cancer: Does age matter?. Am J Surg. 2017 Oct.214(4):629-633. Pubmedid: 28918848.
- Nanjappa S, Pla-Fernandez CA, Apuri S, Loftus L, Kis B. Liver-Directed Embolization for the Long-Term Control of Hypercalcemia of Malignancy in Metastatic Breast Cancer. Cancer Control. 2017 Jan.24(1):57-59. Pubmedid: 28178714.
- Valente SA, Tendulkar RD, Cherian S, O'Rourke C, Greif JM, Bailey L, Uhl V, Bethke KP, Donnelly ED, Rudolph R, Pederson A, Summer T, Lottich SC, Ross DL, Laronga C, Loftus L, Abbott AM, Kelemen P, Hermanto U, Friedman NB, Bedi GC, Joh JE, Thompson WA, Hoefer RA, Wilson JP, Kang SK, Rosen B, Ruffer J, Bravo L, Police A, Escallon JM, Fyles AW, McCready DR, Graves GM, Rohatgi N, Eaker JA, Graves J, Willey SC, Tousimis EA, Collins BT, Shaw CM, Riley L, Deb N, Kelly T, Andolino DL, Boisvert ME, Lyons J, Small W, Grobmyer SR. TARGIT-R (Retrospective): North American Experience with Intraoperative Radiation Using Low-Kilovoltage X-Rays for Breast Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016 Sep.23(9):2809-2815. Pubmedid: 27160524.
- Abbott AM, Dossett LA, Loftus L, Sun W, Fulp W, Sokol GH, Laronga C. Intraoperative radiotherapy for early breast cancer and age: clinical characteristics and outcomes. Am J Surg. 2015 Oct.210(4):624-628. Pubmedid: 26238075.
- Bevers TB, Ward JH, Arun BK, Colditz GA, Cowan KH, Daly MB, Garber JE, Gemignani ML, Gradishar WJ, Jordan JA, Korde LA, Kounalakis N, Krontiras H, Kumar S, Kurian A, Laronga C, Layman RM, Loftus LS, Mahoney MC, Merajver SD, Meszoely IM, Mortimer J, Newman L, Pritchard E, Pruthi S, Seewaldt V, Specht MC, Visvanathan K, Wallace A, Bergman MA, Kumar R. Breast Cancer Risk Reduction, Version 2.2015. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2015 Jul.13(7):880-915. Pubmedid: 26150582.
- Loftus L, Laronga C, Coyne K, Hildreth L. Race of the clock: reducing delay to curative breast cancer surgery. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2014 Feb.12 Suppl 1:S13-S15. Pubmedid: 24614044.
- Acs G, Kiluk J, Loftus L, Laronga C. Comparison of Oncotype DX and Mammostrat risk estimations and correlations with histologic tumor features in low-grade, estrogen receptor-positive invasive breast carcinomas. Mod Pathol. 2013 Nov.26(11):1451-1460. Pubmedid: 23743933.
- Jacobsen PB, Phillips KM, Jim HS, Small BJ, Faul LA, Meade CD, Thompson L, Williams CC, Loftus LS, Fishman M, Wilson RW. Effects of self-directed stress management training and home-based exercise on quality of life in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy: a randomized controlled trial. Psychooncology. 2013 Jun.22(6):1229-1235. Pubmedid: 22715124.
- Lengacher CA, Kip KE, Post-White J, Fitzgerald S, Newton C, Barta M, Jacobsen PB, Shelton MM, Moscoso M, Johnson-Mallard V, Harris E, Loftus L, Cox C, Le N, Goodman M, Djeu J, Widen RH, Bercu BB, Klein TW. Lymphocyte Recovery After Breast Cancer Treatment and Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Therapy. Biol Res Nurs. 2013 Jan.15(1):37-47. Pubmedid: 22084404.
- Vandergrift JL, Niland JC, Theriault RL, Edge SB, Wong YN, Loftus LS, Breslin TM, Hudis CA, Javid SH, Rugo HS, Silver SM, Lepisto EM, Weeks JC. Time to adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer in National Comprehensive Cancer Network institutions. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013 Jan.105(2):104-112. Pubmedid: 23264681. Pmcid: PMC3611850.
- Lengacher CA, Kip KE, Barta M, Post-White J, Jacobsen P, Groer M, Lehman B, Moscoso MS, Kadel R, Le N, Loftus L, Stevens CA, Malafa MP, Shelton MM. A pilot study evaluating the effect of mindfulness-based stress reduction on psychological status, physical status, salivary cortisol, and interleukin-6 among advanced-stage cancer patients and their caregivers. J Holist Nurs. 2012 Sep.30(3):170-185. Pubmedid: 22442202.
- Joh JE, Esposito NN, Kiluk JV, Laronga C, Lee MC, Loftus L, Soliman H, Boughey JC, Reynolds C, Lawton TJ, Acs PI, Gordan L, Acs G. The effect of Oncotype DX recurrence score on treatment recommendations for patients with estrogen receptor-positive early stage breast cancer and correlation with estimation of recurrence risk by breast cancer specialists. Oncologist. 2012 Jun.16(11):1520-1526. Pubmedid: 22016474. Pmcid: PMC3233285.
- Lee MC, Plews R, Rawal B, Kiluk JV, Loftus L, Laronga C. Factors affecting lymph node yield in patients undergoing axillary node dissection for primary breast cancer: a single-institution review. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Jun.19(6):1818-1824. Pubmedid: 22203185.
- Burris JL, Jacobsen PB, Loftus LS, Andrykowski MA. Breast cancer recurrence risk reduction beliefs in breast cancer survivors: prevalence and relation to behavior. Psychooncology. 2012 Apr.21(4):427-435. Pubmedid: 21312312. Pmcid: PMC3116938.
- Acs G, Esposito NN, Kiluk J, Loftus L, Laronga C. A mitotically active, cellular tumor stroma and/or inflammatory cells associated with tumor cells may contribute to intermediate or high Oncotype DX Recurrence Scores in low-grade invasive breast carcinomas. Mod Pathol. 2012 Apr.25(4):556-566. Pubmedid: 22173289.
- Loftus LS, Edwards-Bennett S, Sokol GH. Systemic therapy for bone metastases. Cancer Control. 2012 Apr.19(2):145-153. Pubmedid: 22487977.
- Bardhan P, Bui MM, Minton S, Loftus L, Carter WB, Laronga C, Ismail-Khan R. HER2-positive male breast cancer with thyroid cancer: an institutional report and review of literature. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2012.42(2):135-139. Pubmedid: 22585608.
- Bevers TB, Armstrong DK, Arun B, Carlson RW, Cowan KH, Daly MB, Fleming I, Garber JE, Gemignani M, Gradishar WJ, Krontiras H, Kulkarni S, Laronga C, Loftus L, Macdonald DJ, Mahoney MC, Merajver SD, Meszoely I, Newman L, Pritchard E, Seewaldt V, Sellin RV, Shapiro CL, Ward JH. Breast cancer risk reduction. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2010 Oct.8(10):1112-1146. Pubmedid: 20971838.
- Faul LA, Jim HS, Williams C, Loftus L, Jacobsen PB. Relationship of stress management skill to psychological distress and quality of life in adults with cancer. Psychooncology. 2010 Jan.19(1):102-109. Pubmedid: 19253915.
- Loftus LS, Laronga C. Evaluating patients with chronic pain after breast cancer surgery: the search for relief. Jama. 2009 Nov.302(18):2034-2035. Pubmedid: 19903928.
- Loftus LS, Arnold WN. Vincent van Gogh's illness: acute intermittent porphyria?. Bmj. 1991 Dec.303(6817):1589-1591. Pubmedid: 1773180. Pmcid: PMC1676250.
- Cuddy PG, Loftus LS. Influence of mitotane on the hypoprothrombinemic effect of warfarin. South Med J. 1986 Mar.79(3):387-388. Pubmedid: 3952554.
- Martin SE, Marder VJ, Francis CW, Loftus LS, Barlow GH. Enzymatic degradation of the factor-VIII-von-Willebrand protein: a unique tryptic fragment with ristocetin cofactor activity. Blood. 1980 May.55(5):848-858. Pubmedid: 6767513.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.