Find a Doctor Search
Dr. Juan Carlos Hernandez-Prera is an Assistant Member in Anatomic Pathology at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Hernandez-Prera received his MD from Universidad Francisco Marroquín, Guatemala. He completed an Anatomic Pathology Residency and a Fellowship in Head and Neck and Endocrine Pathology in the Department of Pathology at The Mount Sinai Hospital, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York. Dr. Hernandez-Prera most recently was an Assistant Professor at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and Attending Pathologist at Mount Sinai Beth Israel, New York. Dr. Hernandez-Prera is a board-certified anatomic pathologist with expertise in the subspecialty of Head and Neck/Endocrine Pathology. His research focus is analysis of the clinical, pathological, immunohistochemical, molecular and cytogenetic features of Head and Neck/Endocrine tumors. He is interested in identifying novel biomarkers that will help guide translation into new diagnostic, therapeutic and prognostic tools. He aims to bridge classical histomorphology with molecular advances to better characterize Head and Neck/Endocrine tumors.
Education & Training
- Anatomic Pathology
- Mount Sinai Hospital Icahn School of Medicine - Head & Neck and Endocrine Pathology
- Mount Sinai Hospital Icahn School of Medicine - Pathology
- Universidad Francisco Marroquin - MD
If you believe you are eligible for one of these trials or studies, please call
- Hernandez-Prera JC, Kwan R, Tripodi J, Chiosea S, Cordon-Cardo C, Najfeld V, Demicco EG. Reappraising hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma: A population-based study with molecular confirmation. Head Neck. 2017 Mar;39(3):503-511. Pubmedid: 27898192.
- Likhterov I, Osorio M, Moubayed SP, Hernandez-Prera JC, Rhodes R, Urken ML. The Ethical Implications of the Reclassification of Noninvasive Follicular Variant Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma. Thyroid. 2016 Sep;26(9):1167-1172. Pubmedid: 27480127.
- Madrigal E, Prajapati S, Hernandez-Prera JC. Introducing a Virtual Reality Experience in Anatomic Pathology Education. Am J Clin Pathol. 2016 Oct;146(4):462-468. Pubmedid: 27594429.
- Capo JA, Moubayed D, Moubayed SP, Hernandez-Prera JC, Khorsandi A, Buchbinder D, Urken ML. Pediatric Myofibroma of the Palate with Ulceration and Bone Destruction. Case Rep Otolaryngol. 2016 May;2016. Pubmedid: 27403363. Pmcid: PMC4923519.
- Haser GC, Su HK, Hernandez-Prera JC, Khorsandi AS, Wang BY, Urken ML. Pediatric odontogenic fibromyxoma of the mandible: Case report and review of the literature. Head Neck. 2016 Jan;38(1):E25-E28. Pubmedid: 25898806.
- Saini AT, Hernandez-Prera JC, Teng MS. Pyriform sinus soft-tissue mass recurring in esophagus after excision. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Jun;141(6):573-574. Pubmedid: 25856625.
- Castain C, Sempoux C, Brunt EM, Causse O, Heitzmann A, Hernandez-Prera JC, Le Bail B, Schirmacher P, Thung SN, Balabaud C, Bioulac-Sage P. Coexistence of inflammatory hepatocellular adenomas with HNF1α-inactivated adenomas: is there an association?. Histopathology. 2014 May;64(6):890-895. Pubmedid: 24236804.
- Hernandez-Prera JC, Polydorides AD. Colitis cystica profunda indefinite for dysplasia in Crohn disease: a potential diagnostic pitfall. Pathol Res Pract. 2014 Dec;210(12):1075-1078. Pubmedid: 25307411.
- Chang CY, Hernandez-Prera JC, Roayaie S, Schwartz M, Thung SN. Changing epidemiology of hepatocellular adenoma in the United States: review of the literature. Int J Hepatol. 2013 Jan;2013. Pubmedid: 23509632. Pmcid: PMC3595661.
- Balabaud C, Al-Rabih WR, Chen PJ, Evason K, Ferrell L, Hernandez-Prera JC, Huang SF, Longerich T, Park YN, Quaglia A, Schirmacher P, Sempoux C, Thung SN, Torbenson M, Wee A, Yeh MM, Yeh SH, Le Bail B, Zucman-Rossi J, Bioulac-Sage P. Focal Nodular Hyperplasia and Hepatocellular Adenoma around the World Viewed through the Scope of the Immunopathological Classification. Int J Hepatol. 2013 Apr;268625. Pubmedid: 23691331. Pmcid: PMC3654480.
- Ko HM, Hernandez-Prera JC, Zhu H, Dikman SH, Sidhu HK, Ward SC, Thung SN. Morphologic features of extrahepatic manifestations of hepatitis C virus infection. Clin Dev Immunol. 2012 Jun;2012. Pubmedid: 22919404. Pmcid: PMC3420144.
- Hernandez-Prera JC, Polydorides AD. Anisakidosis of the sigmoid colon disguising as metastatic carcinoma: a case report and review of the literature. Pathol Res Pract. 2012 Jul;208(7):433-435. Pubmedid: 22658479.
- Weissferdt A, Hernandez JC, Kalhor N, Moran CA. Spindle cell thymomas: an immunohistochemical study of 30 cases. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2011 Jul;19(4):329-335. Pubmedid: 21386704.
- Barnoya J, Arvizu M, Jones MR, Hernandez JC, Breysse PN, Navas-Acien A. Secondhand smoke exposure in bars and restaurants in Guatemala City: before and after smoking ban evaluation. Cancer Causes Control. 2011 Jan;22(1):151-156. Pubmedid: 21046446.