Find a Doctor Search
Cancer Types Treated: Hodgkin Lymphoma, Leukemia, Multiple Myeloma-Plasma Cell Tumor, Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS), Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, MDS
Dr. Jose Sandoval Sus is an assistant member of Moffitt Malignant Hematology and Cellular Therapy at Memorial Healthcare System. He received his medical degree from Universidad Autonoma de Bucaramanga (UNAB). He worked as a hospitalist in the Hematology Oncology Department of a tertiary care hospital affiliated with UNAB (Clinica Carlos Ardila Lulle/FOSCAL). Following this, Dr. Sandoval Sus joined Moores Cancer Center at the University of California, San Diego as a postdoctoral research fellow in the research group of Dr. Thomas J. Kipps and Dr. Januario Castro, where he focused on phase I/II translational clinical trials in chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). After working as a clinical instructor at UNAB in Colombia for six months, he completed an internal medicine internship and residency at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center. Dr. Sandoval Sus then was internal medicine chief resident at the Miami VA Healthcare System then completed a hematology and medical oncology fellowship at the University of South Florida/Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. During this time, Dr. Sandoval’s research focus was in prognostic and therapeutic aspects of lymphoid malignancies, with an emphasis in CLL and mantle cell lymphoma (MCL). His professional interests are in patient-focused care of all hematological malignancies, with a special emphasis in both indolent and aggressive lymphoid tumors.
Education & Training
- Medical Oncology
- University of California, San Diego Moores Cancer Center - Clinical and Research Fellow
- University of South Florida/Moffitt Cancer Center - Oncology / Hematology
- University of Miami - Jackson Memorial Hospital - Internal Medicine
- Universidad Autonoma de Bucaramanga Medical School - MD
If you believe you are eligible for one of these trials or studies, please call
- Mina A, Sandoval Sus J, Sleiman E, Pinilla-Ibarz J, Awan FT, Kharfan-Dabaja MA. Using prognostic models in CLL to personalize approach to clinical care: Are we there yet?. Blood Rev. 2018 Mar;32(2):159-166. Pubmedid: 29122300.
- Sandoval-Sus JD, Chavez JC, Dalia S, Naqvi SMH, Talati C, Nodzon L, Kharfan-Dabaja MA, Pinilla-Ibarz J. Association between immunoglobulin heavy-chain variable region mutational status and isolated favorable baseline genomic aberrations in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma. 2018 Jan;59(1):59-68. Pubmedid: 28641468.
- Sandoval-Sus J, Sotomayor EM, Shah BD. Mantle Cell Lymphoma: Contemporary Diagnostic and Treatment Perspectives in the Age of Personalized Medicine. Hematol Oncol Stem Cell Ther. 2017 Sep;10(3):99-115. Pubmedid: 28404221.
- Juárez-Salcedo LM, Sandoval-Sus J, Sokol L, Chavez JC, Dalia S. The role of anti-PD-1 and anti-PD-L1 agents in the treatment of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: The future is now. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2017 May;113:52-62. Pubmedid: 28427522.
- Sandoval-Sus JD, Mogollon-Duffo F, Patel A, Visweshwar N, Laber DA, Kim R, Jaglal MV. Nivolumab as salvage treatment in a patient with HIV-related relapsed/refractory Hodgkin lymphoma and liver failure with encephalopathy. J Immunother Cancer. 2017 Jun;5:49. Pubmedid: 28642818. Pmcid: PMC5477132.
- Chavez JC, Sandoval-Sus J, Horna P, Dalia S, Bello C, Chevernick P, Sotomayor EM, Sokol L, Shah B. Lymphomatoid Granulomatosis: A Single Institution Experience and Review of the Literature. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2016 Aug;16 Suppl:S170-S174. Pubmedid: 27521314.