Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Find a Doctor
John Kiluk, MD, FACS
Locations: Moffitt McKinley Outpatient Center
Cancer Focus: Breast Cancer, Ductal Carcinoma In Situ , Inflammatory Breast Cancer , Invasive Ductal Carcinoma , Triple Negative Breast Cancer
Dr. John Kiluk is a surgical oncologist specializing in breast cancer in The Center for Women’s Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center. He was voted by his patients and peers as Moffitt's Physician of the Year in 2011. From an early age, Dr. Kiluk accompanied his physician father on hospital rounds and learned the rewards of helping patients during a difficult time in their lives. Now, as a Moffitt breast surgeon, he values the opportunity to guide and support patients through every step of the process, from initial diagnosis through recovery. Dr. Kiluk points out that Moffitt’s breast program is unique in that all of the specialists on the team are exclusively focused on treating patients with breast cancer. This approach to patient care creates a high volume practice that offers a rewarding, collaborative environment for clinicians and an exceptional experience for patients. One of Dr. Kiluk’s areas of expertise is men with breast cancer. Although less than one percent of all breast cancers affect men, as a specialist, Dr. Kiluk treats a significant number of patients with this type of cancer. He understands the special concerns men have in confronting this health challenge.
Education & Training
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute - Breast Surgical Oncology
- Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA - General Surgery
- Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VAMD
- Pointer DT, Durgan DM, Kis B, Khakpour N, Kiluk JV. High-output chyle leak after breast-conserving surgery and sentinel lymph node biopsy. Breast J. 2020 Mar.26(3):514-516. Pubmedid: 31495018.
- Strang LR, Sun J, Sun W, Boulware D, Kiluk JV, Lee MC, Khazai L, Laronga C. Characteristics of Microinvasive Ductal Carcinoma In Situ Versus Noninvasive and Invasive Breast Cancer. J Surg Res. 2020 Jun.254:378-383. Pubmedid: 32535256.
- Mathias BJ, Sun J, Sun W, Zhou JM, Fulp WJ, Laronga C, Lee MC, Kiluk JV. Surgeon Bias in the Management of Positive Sentinel Lymph Nodes. Clin Breast Cancer. 2020 Jul. Pubmedid: 32917535.
- Burke EE, Laronga C, Sun W, DeBiase S, Naqvi SMH, Fridley B, Czerniecki BJ, Hoover SJ, Khakpour N, Kiluk JV, Lee MC. Implant-sparing Mastectomy: An Alternative for Women Undergoing Mastectomy With Retropectoral Implants. Clin Breast Cancer. 2020 Feb.20(1):e14-e19. Pubmedid: 31780380.
- Sun J, Henry DA, Carr MJ, Yazdankhahkenary A, Laronga C, Lee MC, Hoover SJ, Sun W, Czerniecki BJ, Khakpour N, Kiluk JV. Feasibility of Axillary Lymph Node Localization and Excision Using Radar Reflector Localization. Clin Breast Cancer. 2020 Aug. Pubmedid: 32893094.
- Walton K, Fernandez MR, Sagatys EM, Reff J, Kim J, Lee MC, Kiluk JV, Hui JYC, McKenna D, Hupp M, Forster C, Linden MA, Lawrence NJ, Lawrence HR, Pidala J, Pavletic SZ, Blazar BR, Sebti SM, Cleveland JL, Anasetti C, Betts BC. Metabolic reprogramming augments potency of human pSTAT3-inhibited iTregs to suppress alloreactivity. JCI Insight. 2020 Apr.5(9). Pubmedid: 32255769. Pmcid: PMC7253027.
- Ackerman RS, Hirschi M, Alford B, Evans T, Kiluk JV, Patel SY. Enhanced REVENUE After Surgery? A Cost-Standardized Enhanced Recovery Pathway for Mastectomy Decreases Length of Stay. World J Surg. 2019 Mar.43(3):839-845. Pubmedid: 30456482.
- Park JY, Lengacher CA, Reich RR, Alinat CB, Ramesar S, Le A, Paterson CL, Pleasant ML, Park HY, Kiluk J, Han H, Ismail-Khan R, Kip KE. Translational genomic research: the role of genetic polymorphisms in MBSR program among breast cancer survivors (MBSR[BC]). Transl Behav Med. 2019 Jul.9(4):693-702. Pubmedid: 30137607. Pmcid: PMC7184864.
- Billington A, Dayicioglu D, Smith P, Kiluk J. Review of Procedures for Reconstruction of Soft Tissue Chest Wall Defects Following Advanced Breast Malignancies. Cancer Control. 2019 Jan.26(1). Pubmedid: 30808195. Pmcid: PMC6360472.
- Jakub JW, Peled AW, Gray RJ, Greenup RA, Kiluk JV, Sacchini V, McLaughlin SA, Tchou JC, Vierkant RA, Degnim AC, Willey S. Oncologic Safety of Prophylactic Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy in a Population With BRCA Mutations: A Multi-institutional Study. JAMA Surg. 2018 Feb;153(2):123-129. Pubmedid: 28903167. Pmcid: PMC5838709.
- Betts BC, Locke FL, Sagatys EM, Pidala J, Walton K, Menges M, Reff J, Saha A, Djeu JY, Kiluk JV, Lee MC, Kim J, Kang CW, Tang CA, Frieling J, Lynch CC, List A, Rodriguez PC, Blazar BR, Conejo-Garcia JR, Del Valle JR, Hu CA, Anasetti C. Inhibition of Human Dendritic Cell ER Stress Response Reduces T Cell Alloreactivity Yet Spares Donor Anti-tumor Immunity. Front Immunol. 2018 Dec.9:2887. Pubmedid: 30574153. Pmcid: PMC6291501.
- Mattingly AE, Ma Z, Smith PD, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Hoover SJ, Laronga C, Lee MC. Early Postoperative Complications after Oncoplastic Reduction. South Med J. 2017 Oct;110(10):660-666. Pubmedid: 28973708.
- Assing MA, Patel BK, Karamsadkar N, Weinfurtner J, Usmani O, Kiluk JV, Drukteinis JS. A comparison of the diagnostic accuracy of magnetic resonance imaging to axillary ultrasound in the detection of axillary nodal metastases in newly diagnosed breast cancer. Breast J. 2017 Nov;23(6):647-655. Pubmedid: 28397344.
- Mattingly AE, Mooney B, Lin HY, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Hoover SJ, Laronga C, Lee MC. Magnetic Resonance Imaging for Axillary Breast Cancer Metastasis in the Neoadjuvant Setting: A Prospective Study. Clin Breast Cancer. 2017 Jun;17(3):180-187. Pubmedid: 27956116.
- González SJ, Mooney B, Lin HY, Zhao X, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Lee MC. 2-D and 3-D Ultrasound for Tumor Volume Analysis: A Prospective Study. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2017 Apr;43(4):775-781. Pubmedid: 28187928.
- Mattingly AE, Kiluk JV, Lee MC. Clinical Considerations of Risk, Incidence, and Outcomes of Breast Cancer in Sexual Minorities. Cancer Control. 2016 Oct;23(4):373-382. Pubmedid: 27842326.
- Lee MC, Gonzalez SJ, Lin H, Zhao X, Kiluk JV, Laronga C, Mooney B. Prospective trial of breast MRI versus 2D and 3D ultrasound for evaluation of response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015 Sep;22(9):2888-2894. Pubmedid: 25589151.
- Snow R, Reyna C, Johns C, Lee MC, Sun W, Fulp WJ, Kiluk JV, Laronga C. Outcomes with and without axillary node dissection for node-positive lumpectomy and mastectomy patients. Am J Surg. 2015 Oct;210(4):685-693. Pubmedid: 26210706.
- Acs G, Khakpour N, Kiluk J, Lee MC, Laronga C. The presence of extensive retraction clefts in invasive breast carcinomas correlates with lymphatic invasion and nodal metastasis and predicts poor outcome: a prospective validation study of 2742 consecutive cases. Am J Surg Pathol. 2015 Mar.39(3):325-337. Pubmedid: 25353283.
- Reyna C, Kiluk JV, Frelick A, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Lee MC. Impact of axillary ultrasound (AUS) on axillary dissection in breast conserving surgery (BCS). J Surg Oncol. 2015 Jun;111(7):813-818. Pubmedid: 25753101.
- Agostinho JL, Zhao X, Sun W, Laronga C, Kiluk JV, Chen DT, Lee MC. Prediction of positive margins following breast conserving surgery. Breast. 2015 Feb;24(1):46-50. Pubmedid: 25466503.
- Roetzheim RG, Lee JH, Fulp W, Matos Gomez E, Clayton E, Tollin S, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Lee MC, Kiluk JV. Acceptance and adherence to chemoprevention among women at increased risk of breast cancer. Breast. 2015 Feb;24(1):51-56. Pubmedid: 25491191. Pmcid: PMC4503358.
- Reyna C, Lee MC, Frelick A, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Kiluk JV. Axillary burden of disease following false-negative preoperative axillary evaluation. Am J Surg. 2014 Oct;208(4):577-581. Pubmedid: 25118162.
- Kiluk JV, Prowler V, Lee MC, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Cox CE. Contralateral axillary nodal involvement from invasive breast cancer. Breast. 2014 Jun;23(3):291-294. Pubmedid: 24709584.
- Goble RN, Drukteinis JS, Lee MC, Khakpour N, Kiluk JV, Laronga C. Early experience with ultrasound features after intrabeam intraoperative radiation for early stage breast cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2014 Jun;109(8):751-755. Pubmedid: 24862923.
- Prowler VL, Joh JE, Acs G, Kiluk JV, Laronga C, Khakpour N, Lee MC. Surgical excision of pure flat epithelial atypia identified on core needle breast biopsy. Breast. 2014 Aug;23(4):352-356. Pubmedid: 24518220.
- Drukteinis JS, Kiluk JV. Controversy surrounding mammography screening? Not in our opinion. Cancer Control. 2014 Apr;21(2):176-177. Pubmedid: 24667405.
- Williams M, Eatrides J, Kim J, Talwar H, Esposito N, Szabunio M, Ismail-Khan R, Kiluk J, Lee M, Laronga C, Khakpour N. Comparison of breast magnetic resonance imaging clinical tumor size with pathologic tumor size in patients status post-neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Am J Surg. 2013 Oct;206(4):567-573. Pubmedid: 23809673.
- Acs G, Kiluk J, Loftus L, Laronga C. Comparison of Oncotype DX and Mammostrat risk estimations and correlations with histologic tumor features in low-grade, estrogen receptor-positive invasive breast carcinomas. Mod Pathol. 2013 Nov;26(11):1451-1460. Pubmedid: 23743933.
- Joh JE, Esposito NN, Kiluk JV, Laronga C, Khakpour N, Soliman H, Catherine Lee M. Pathologic tumor response of invasive lobular carcinoma to neo-adjuvant chemotherapy. Breast J. 2013 Apr;18(6):569-574. Pubmedid: 23034096.
- Walsh N, Kiluk JV, Sun W, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Lee MC. Ipsilateral nodal recurrence after axillary dissection for breast cancer. J Surg Res. 2012 Sep.177(1):81-86. Pubmedid: 22498028.
- Joh JE, Esposito NN, Kiluk JV, Laronga C, Lee MC, Loftus L, Soliman H, Boughey JC, Reynolds C, Lawton TJ, Acs PI, Gordan L, Acs G. The effect of Oncotype DX recurrence score on treatment recommendations for patients with estrogen receptor-positive early stage breast cancer and correlation with estimation of recurrence risk by breast cancer specialists. Oncologist. 2012 Jun;16(11):1520-1526. Pubmedid: 22016474. Pmcid: PMC3233285.
- Lee MC, Plews R, Rawal B, Kiluk JV, Loftus L, Laronga C. Factors affecting lymph node yield in patients undergoing axillary node dissection for primary breast cancer: a single-institution review. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Jun;19(6):1818-1824. Pubmedid: 22203185.
- Kiluk JV, Dessureault S, Quinn G. Teaching medical students how to break bad news with standardized patients. J Cancer Educ. 2012 Jun;27(2):277-280. Pubmedid: 22314793. Pmcid: PMC4504018.
- Turaga KK, Chau A, Eatrides JM, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Lee MC. Selective application of routine preoperative axillary ultrasonography reduces costs for invasive breast cancers. Oncologist. 2012 Jan;16(7):942-948. Pubmedid: 21572122. Pmcid: PMC3228129.
- Kiluk JV, Lee MC, Park CK, Meade T, Minton S, Harris E, Kim J, Laronga C. Male breast cancer: management and follow-up recommendations. Breast J. 2012 Feb;17(5):503-509. Pubmedid: 21883641.
- Joh JE, Han G, Kiluk JV, Laronga C, Khakpour N, Lee MC. Indications for axillary ultrasound use in breast cancer patients. Clin Breast Cancer. 2012 Dec.12(6):433-437. Pubmedid: 23062709.
- Acs G, Esposito NN, Kiluk J, Loftus L, Laronga C. A mitotically active, cellular tumor stroma and/or inflammatory cells associated with tumor cells may contribute to intermediate or high Oncotype DX Recurrence Scores in low-grade invasive breast carcinomas. Mod Pathol. 2012 Apr;25(4):556-566. Pubmedid: 22173289.
- Pimiento JM, Lee MC, Esposito NN, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Carter WB, Han G, Laronga C. Role of axillary staging in women diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ with microinvasion. J Oncol Pract. 2011 Sep;7(5):309-313. Pubmedid: 22211128. Pmcid: PMC3170064.
- Pimiento JM, Gadgil PV, Santillan AA, Lee MC, Esposito NN, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Hartley TL, Yeh IT, Laronga C. Phyllodes tumors: race-related differences. J Am Coll Surg. 2011 Oct;213(4):537-542. Pubmedid: 21856184.
- Kaur P, Kiluk JV, Meade T, Ramos D, Koeppel W, Jara J, King J, Cox CE. Sentinel lymph node biopsy in patients with previous ipsilateral complete axillary lymph node dissection. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011 Mar;18(3):727-732. Pubmedid: 20593244.
- Patel MJ, Carter WB, Kiluk JV. Use of Argon Beam for Operative Hemostasis of a Bleeding, Locally Advanced Breast Tumor before Neo-adjuvant Chemotherapy. Breast J. 2011 Mar;17(2):215. Pubmedid: 21294811.
- Shackelford RE, Allam-Nandyala P, Bui MM, Kiluk JV, Esposito NN. Primary colorectal adenocarcinoma metastatic to the breast: case report and review of nineteen cases. Case Rep Med. 2011 Jul;2011:738413. Pubmedid: 21738536. Pmcid: PMC3123911.
- Lee MC, Eatrides J, Chau A, Han G, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Cox CE, Carter WB, Laronga C. Consequences of axillary ultrasound in patients with T2 or greater invasive breast cancers. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011 Jan;18(1):72-77. Pubmedid: 20585876.
- Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Lee MC, Lowe J, Harris E, Szabunio M, Laronga C. Management of abnormal Rotter's lymph nodes identified on preoperative breast magnetic resonance imaging. Am Surg. 2011 Jan;77(1):E10-E12. Pubmedid: 21396292.
- Kiluk JV, Ly QP, Meade T, Ramos D, Reintgen DS, Dessureault S, Davis M, Shamehdi C, Cox CE. Axillary recurrence rate following negative sentinel node biopsy for invasive breast cancer: long-term follow-up. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011 Dec;18 Suppl 3:S339-S342. Pubmedid: 19777181.
- Kiluk JV, Ly QP, Santillan AA, Meade T, Ramos D, Reintgen DS, Dessureault S, Davis M, Shamehdi C, Cox CE. Erratum to: Axillary recurrence rate following negative sentinel node biopsy for invasive breast cancer: long-term follow-up. Ann Surg Oncol. 2010 Feb;17(2):552-557. Pubmedid: 19957043.
- Santillan A, Kiluk J, Cox J, Meade T, Allred N, Ramos D, King J, Cox C. Outcomes of locoregional recurrence after surgical chest wall resection and reconstruction for breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008 May.15(5):1322-1329. Pubmedid: 18239972.
- Kiluk JV, Cox C. The "hurricane" incision: an alternative incision for difficult mastectomy. Breast J. 2008 Jul;14(4):404-405. Pubmedid: 18540950.
- Cox CE, Furman BT, Kiluk JV, Jara J, Koeppel W, Meade T, White L, Dupont E, Allred N, Meyers M. Use of reoperative sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer patients. J Am Coll Surg. 2008 Jul;207(1):57-61. Pubmedid: 18589362.
- Cox CE, Kiluk JV, Riker AI, Cox JM, Allred N, Ramos DC, Dupont EL, Vrcel V, Diaz N, Boulware D. Significance of sentinel lymph node micrometastases in human breast cancer. J Am Coll Surg. 2008 Feb;206(2):261-268. Pubmedid: 18222378.
- Kiluk J, Santillan A, Kaur P, Laronga C, Meade T, Ramos D, Cox C. Feasibility of sentinel lymph node biopsy through an inframammary incision for a nipple-sparing mastectomy. Ann Surg Oncol. 2008 Dec;15(12):3402-3406. Pubmedid: 18820974.
- Kiluk J, Acs G, Hoover S. High-risk benign breast lesions: current strategies in management. Cancer Control. 2007 Oct;14(4):321-329. Pubmedid: 17914332.
- Kiluk J, Carter W. Makers of angiogenesis in breast cancer. Mlo Med Lab Obs. 2006 Aug;38(8):10, 12, 16. Pubmedid: 16983871.
- Kiluk J, Yeh K. Primary angiosarcoma of the breast. Breast J. 2005 Nov;11(6):517-518. Pubmedid: 16297124.
- Khera S, Kiluk J, Hasson D, Meade T, Meyers M, Dupont E, Berman C, Cox C. Pregnancy-associated breast cancer patients can safely undergo lymphatic mapping. Breast J. 14(3):250-254. Pubmedid: 18476883.
- Kiluk JV, Kaur P, Meade T, Ramos D, Morelli D, King J, Cox CE. Effects of prior augmentation and reduction mammoplasty to sentinel node lymphatic mapping in breast cancer. Breast J. 16(6):598-602. Pubmedid: 21070436.
- Laronga C, Kiluk J. Commentary on "Improving surgical outcomes: standardizing the reporting of incidence and severity of acute lymphedema after sentinel lymph node biopsy and axillary node dissection". In: Breast Diseases: a Year Book Quarterly. 2007 ed. St Louis, MO: Mosby Yearbook; 2007;170-171.
- Kiluk J, Laronga C. Commentary on "The Clinical Value of Parasternal Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy in Breast Cancer".. In: Breast Diseases: a Year Book Quarterly. 2007 ed. St Louis, MO: Mosby Yearbook; 2007;382-383.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.