History & Purpose
The Moffitt Merit Society® carries on the legacy of Merit Ptah, the first known woman in medicine nearly 5,000 years ago. The skills, achievements and compassionate care of female physicians and scientists at Moffitt reflect a deep commitment to providing hope and improving quality of life for those touched by cancer. Together, we:
- UNITE women as advocates to prevent and cure cancer
- OFFER educational and networking opportunities for members
- GRANT philanthropic support for the research and clinical work of female scientists
- PROMOTE Moffitt’s female physicians and their outstanding patient care
- SUPPORT the Center for Women’s Oncology
- ENCOURAGE female students aspiring to pursue careers in science and medicine
One in three women will experience cancer in her lifetime. Merit Society members stand beside them and partner with Moffitt physicians, researchers and staff to ensure that our mothers, daughters, sisters and friends will have access to the most advanced research-based treatments. Combined, our individual passion, expertise and philanthropy make us much more powerful in the fight against cancer.
The Moffitt Merit Society® has granted over $201,000 to female researchers and physicians fighting to find a cure and improve the patient experience. We have supported a variety of Moffitt programs including female reproductive oncology; cancer epidemiology; breast, thoracic, cutaneous, and radiation oncology; as well as health outcomes and behavior programs.
Together, our belief in Moffitt is helping to discover new prevention and treatment opportunities, redefining tomorrow for generations of women facing cancer. The Merit Society is seeing tremendous membership growth. The passion and excitement from the Tampa Bay community is a crucial part of our success. We hope you will join us in our lifesaving quest to defeat women’s cancer.
Membership benefits include:
- Annual voting privileges to designate the direction of collective funds raised
- Invitations to seasonal Merit Society events with one-on-one access to Moffitt experts
- Exclusive updates on physician scientists whose work benefits women's cancer research
- Personal liaison at Moffitt Cancer Center Foundation
Annual Membership: $1,000
Quarterly installment option is available
These educational and networking opportunities allow members to hear from Moffitt experts about specific research initiatives, introduce guests to the Merit Society, and celebrate the programs that are awarded funding each year.
2018 Membership Receptions:
- Thursday, January 18 from 8:30 to 10 a.m.
- Thursday, March 22 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Thursday, May 17 from 6 – 8 p.m.
For more information about the Moffitt Merit Society, please contact Lindsay Voltz at 813-745-1403 or MeritSociety@Moffitt.org.
Together we can change lives today.
We’re all in this fight together, and we’d be honored to have your help. Getting started is easy and the rewards are endless. Help us get closer to a cure.
Please call 1-800-456-3434, ext. 1403, or email us at FoundationInfo@Moffitt.org, if you wish to have your name removed from the list to receive fundraising requests to support Moffitt Cancer Center in the future. Upon receiving your request, we will use all reasonable efforts to remove you from future mailings. Florida is the official place of business for the Moffitt Cancer Center Foundation. A copy of the official registration and financial information may be obtained from the Division of Consumer Services by calling 1-800-435-7352 toll-free within the state or online at www.800helpfla.com. Registration does not imply endorsement, approval or recommendation by the state. Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services registration number CH-4675. No percentage of contributions is retained by a professional solicitor; Moffitt Cancer Center Foundation receives 100% of all donations. Your gift is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.