George Edgecomb Society
History & Purpose
In 1986, Moffitt Cancer Center opened its doors as a result of the efforts of Mr. H. Lee Moffitt. The then Florida state representative created the cancer center with a very good friend in mind, George E. Edgecomb – the first African American judge in Hillsborough County. Judge Edgecomb was diagnosed with cancer, but did not have local options for his treatment at that time. After the loss of Judge Edgecomb and two additional close friends, Mr. Moffitt worked tirelessly towards the creation of a premier cancer center in Florida.
While there has been much progress in cancer treatment, screening, diagnosis and prevention over the past few decades, it has been slower for the black/African American community. This community continues to face higher cancer rates and cancer deaths. When compared to other communities, these higher rates are called cancer health disparities.
Examples of cancer health disparities being faced in the black/African American community include:
- Highest Overall Rates of Cancer
- Highest Death Rates from Cancer
- Higher Rates of Aggressive Forms of Breast Cancer
- Higher Rates and Deaths from Prostate Cancer
- Higher Rates of Cervical Cancer
In 2017, Moffitt Cancer Center created the George Edgecomb Society (GES) so its members could help address these issues by ensuring equitable health outcomes and the elimination of cancer health disparities among blacks and African Americans. Since then, GES members have raised over $665,000 in pledges and donations towards this cause.
Working together with the GES Steering Committee – a passionate group of local community leaders who help inspire continuous support for our cause – members of the George Edgecomb Society:
- ADVOCATE to prevent and cure cancer, as well as eliminate cancer health disparities
- EDUCATE members on new treatment protocols and research efforts
- AWARD financial support for the research and clinical efforts of scientists focused on cancer health disparities
- PROMOTE Moffitt’s physicians and researchers and their outstanding care and innovative research
Memberships vary by level, and include benefits such as:
- Annual voting privileges to designate the direction of collective funds raised
- Invitations to seasonal Edgecomb Society events with one-on-one access to Moffitt experts
- Exclusive updates on cancer health disparities research
- Personal liaison at Moffitt Cancer Center Foundation
Annual Membership Levels: Influencer $1,000 | Supporter $500-$999 | Friend $100-$499
Corporate members receive additional benefits, including sponsorship recognition at Edgecomb Society events, your company logo on the Edgecomb Society website, social media recognition, and more.
Thank you to our corporate sponsors!
These educational and networking opportunities allow members to hear from Moffitt experts about specific research initiatives, introduce guests to the George Edgecomb Society, and celebrate the programs that are awarded funding each year.
For more information about membership in the George Edgecomb Society, please contact Chris Hawkins at 813-745-5641 or EdgecombSociety@Moffitt.org.
TOGETHER WE CAN CHANGE LIVES TODAY
CONTACT USMoffitt Cancer Center Foundation
12902 Magnolia Drive
Tampa, FL 33612 1-800-456-3434, ext. 1403