Find a Researcher Search
Dinorah Martinez Tyson, PhD, MPH, MAEmail
My research involves community-based participatory studies relating to patient survival and psychosocial health among Latinos and other underserved groups.
- Health Outcomes & Behavior Program
Education & Training
- Northern Arizona University, MA - Applied Anthropology
- University of South Florida, MPH - Public Health Education, Epidemiology
- University of Florida, PhD - Applied Anthropology
My research interest include health disparties, cross-cultural health, community-based participatory research as they relate to cancer survivorship, chronic disease and mental/psychosocial health among Latinos and medically underserved groups. I continue to facilitate the Latina cancer support group, LUNA and to collaborate with Stena Campagna and FACTORs at Moffitt.
- Aguado Loi CX, Martinez Tyson D, Chavarria EA, Gutierrez L, Klasko L, Davis S, Lopez D, Johns T, Meade CD, Gwede CK. 'Simple and easy:' providers' and latinos' perceptions of the fecal immunochemical test (FIT) for colorectal cancer screening. Ethn Health. 2018 Jan;1-16. Pubmedid: 29319331.
- Martinez Tyson D, Medina-Ramirez P, Vázquez-Otero C, Gwede CK, Bobonis M, McMillan SC. Cultural adaptation of a supportive care needs measure for Hispanic men cancer survivors. J Psychosoc Oncol. 2017 Sep;36(1):113-131. Pubmedid: 28857692.
- Corvin J, Aguado Loi C, Alfonso M, Martinez Tyson D, Chan I, Maria P, Gonzales J. Translating Research into Practice: Employing Community-Based Mixed Methods Approaches to Address Chronic Disease and Depression Among Latinos. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2017 Oct;44(4):574-589. Pubmedid: 27436411.
- Lee MS, Martinez D, Gonzales BD, Small BJ, Lechner SC, Antoni MH, Vinard A, Krause M, Meade C, Jacobsen PB. Anxiety and depression in Spanish-speaking Latina cancer patients prior to starting chemotherapy. Psychooncology. 2017 May. Pubmedid: 28557067. Pmcid: PMC5709270.
- Martinez Tyson DD, Vázquez-Otero C, Medina-Ramirez P, Arriola NB, McMillan SC, Gwede CK. Understanding the supportive care needs of Hispanic men cancer survivors. Ethn Health. 2017 Feb;22(1):1-16. Pubmedid: 27350450. Pmcid: PMC5351415.
- Martinez Tyson D, Arriola NB, Corvin J. Perceptions of Depression and Access to Mental Health Care Among Latino Immigrants: Looking Beyond One Size Fits All. Qual Health Res. 2016 Jul;26(9):1289-1302. Pubmedid: 26035855.
- Martinez Tyson DD, Jacobsen P, Meade CD. Understanding the Stress Management Needs and Preferences of Latinas Undergoing Chemotherapy. J Cancer Educ. 2016 Dec;31(4):633-639. Pubmedid: 25952939.
- Carrion IV, Nedjat-Haiem FR, Martinez-Tyson D, Castañeda H. Advance care planning among Colombian, Mexican, and Puerto Rican women with a cancer diagnosis. Support Care Cancer. 2013 May;21(5):1233-1239. Pubmedid: 23192672.
- Aguado Loi CX, Baldwin JA, McDermott RJ, McMillan S, Martinez Tyson D, Yampolskaya S, Vandeweerd C. Risk factors associated with increased depressive symptoms among Latinas diagnosed with breast cancer within 5 years of survivorship. Psychooncology. 2013 Dec;22(12):2779-2788. Pubmedid: 24000126.
- Luque JS, Castañeda H, Tyson DM, Vargas N, Meade CD. Formative research on HPV vaccine acceptability among Latina farmworkers. Health Promot Pract. 2012 Sep;13(5):617-625. Pubmedid: 21881079. Pmcid: PMC3245360.
- Martinez Tyson DD, Castañeda H, Porter M, Quiroz M, Carrion I. More Similar than Different? Exploring Cultural Models of Depression among Latino Immigrants in Florida. Depress Res Treat. 2011 Nov;2011:564396. Pubmedid: 21941643. Pmcid: PMC3175724.
- Meade CD, Menard JM, Luque JS, Martinez-Tyson D, Gwede CK. Creating community-academic partnerships for cancer disparities research and health promotion. Health Promot Pract. 2011 May;12(3):456-462. Pubmedid: 19822724. Pmcid: PMC3653573.
- Becker MA, Martinez-Tyson D, Digennaro J, Ochshorn E. Do Latino and non-Latino White Medicaid-enrolled adults differ in utilization of evidence-based treatment for major depressive disorder?. J Immigr Minor Health. 2011 Dec;13(6):1048-1054. Pubmedid: 21805165.
- Carrion IV, Castañeda H, Martinez-Tyson D, Kline N. Barriers impeding access to primary oral health care among farmworker families in Central Florida. Soc Work Health Care. 2011 Dec;50(10):828-844. Pubmedid: 22136348.
- Jang Y, Chiriboga DA, Herrera JR, Martinez Tyson D, Schonfeld L. Attitudes toward mental health services in Hispanic older adults: the role of misconceptions and personal beliefs. Community Ment Health J. 2011 Apr;47(2):164-170. Pubmedid: 20091227.
- Gwede CK, Menard JM, Martinez-Tyson D, Lee JH, Vadaparampil ST, Padhya TA, Meade CD. Strategies for assessing community challenges and strengths for cancer disparities participatory research and outreach. Health Promot Pract. 2010 Nov;11(6):876-887. Pubmedid: 19515858. Pmcid: PMC2888920.
- Luque JS, Castañeda H, Tyson DM, Vargas N, Proctor S, Meade CD. HPV AWARENESS AMONG LATINA IMMIGRANTS AND ANGLO AMERICAN WOMEN IN THE SOUTHERN U.S.: CULTURAL MODELS OF CERVICAL CANCER RISK FACTORS AND BELIEFS. NAPA Bull. 2010 Nov;34(1):84-104. Pubmedid: 21116468. Pmcid: PMC2992330.
- Gwede CK, Ward BG, Luque JS, Vadaparampil ST, Rivers D, Martinez-Tyson D, Noel-Thomas S, Meade CD. Application of Geographic Information Systems and Asset Mapping to Facilitate Identification of Colorectal Cancer Screening Resources. Online J Public Health Inform. 2010 Jan;2(1):2893. Pubmedid: 20976019.
- Martinez-Tyson D, Pathak EB, Soler-Vila H, Flores AM. Looking under the Hispanic umbrella: cancer mortality among Cubans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and other Hispanics in Florida. J Immigr Minor Health. 2009 Aug;11(4):249-257. Pubmedid: 18506623. Pmcid: PMC3086376.
- Meade C, Menard J, Martinez D, Calvo A. Impacting health disparities through community outreach: utilizing the CLEAN look (culture, literacy, education, assessment, and networking). Cancer Control. 2007 Jan;14(1):70-77. Pubmedid: 17242673.
- Meade C, Martinez D, Schullo S, McMillan S. Distance learning for communicating cancer, culture, and literacy: a model for cancer control advancement. J Cancer Educ. 2006 Jun;21(2):63-70. Pubmedid: 17020515.
- Himmelgreen DA, Pérez-Escamilla R, Martinez D, Bretnall A, Eells B, Peng Y, Bermúdez A. The longer you stay, the bigger you get: length of time and language use in the U.S. are associated with obesity in Puerto Rican women. Am J Phys Anthropol. 2004 Sep;125(1):90-96. Pubmedid: 15293335.
- Martinez D, Loi C, Martinez M, Flores A, Meade C. Development of a cancer camp for adult Spanish-speaking survivors: lessons learned from Camp Alegria. J Cancer Educ. 23(1):4-9. Pubmedid: 18444040.