Find a Researcher
Christine Vinci, PhD
Academic Rank: Assistant Member
- Health Outcomes and Behavior
- Blood and Marrow Transplant and Cellular Immunotherapy
- Health Outcomes & Behavior Program
- Tobacco Research & Intervention Program
Education & Training
- University of South Carolina Aiken, MS - Applied Clinical Psychology
- University of Mississippi Medical Center/GV (Sonny) Montgomery Veteran Affairs Medical Center, Resident - Pre-doctoral Psychology Intern (Resident)
- Louisiana State University, PhD - Clinical Psychology
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Fellow - Health Disparities Research
Dr. Vinci’s research broadly focuses on cognitive and affective mechanisms (e.g., affect, affect regulation, expectancies) implicated in the development, maintenance, and treatment of cancer-risk behaviors. More specifically, her work aims to understand the mechanisms underlying smoking cessation and decreased alcohol use among underserved populations in order to inform the development and modification of treatment interventions. She has a specific interest in mindfulness-based treatments, as these interventions have the ability to target mechanisms that are central to changing certain behaviors including quitting smoking and decreasing alcohol use. She currently has a K99/R00 award from the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities that is utilizing advanced technology (i.e., ecological momentary assessment, human sensing) to examine the impact of mindfulness strategies on key mechanisms underlying smoking cessation among a sample of low socioeconomic and racially/ethnically diverse smokers.
- Spears CA, Li L, Wu C, Vinci C, Heppner WL, Hoover DS, Lam C, Wetter DW. Mechanisms linking mindfulness and early smoking abstinence: An ecological momentary assessment study. Psych Addic Behav. 2019 Mar;33(3):197-207. Pubmedid: 30829517. Pmcid: PMC6483850.
- Kelley ML, Bravo AJ, Davies RL, Hamrick HC, Vinci C, Redman JC. Moral injury and suicidality among combat-wounded veterans: The moderating effects of social connectedness and self-compassion. Psychol Trauma. 2019 Mar. Pubmedid: 30896225.
- Vinci C, Reblin M, Jim H, Pidala J, Bulls H, Cutolo E. Understanding preferences for a mindfulness-based stress management program among caregivers of hematopoietic cell transplant patients. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2018 Nov;33:164-169. Pubmedid: 30396616. Pmcid: PMC6435265.
- Castro Y, Vinci C, Heppner WL, Cano MÁ, Correa-Fernández V, Wetter DW. Revisiting the Relationship Between Acculturation and Smoking Cessation Among Mexican Americans. Ann Behav Med. 2018 May. Pubmedid: 29746621. Pmcid: PMC6226374.
- Vinci C, Haslam A, Lam CY, Kumar S, Wetter DW. The use of ambulatory assessment in smoking cessation. Addictive Behaviors. 2018 Aug;83:18-24. Pubmedid: 29398067. Pmcid: PMC5964000.
- Peltier MR, Roys MR, Waters AF, Vinci C, Waldo KM, Stewart SA, Toups RC, Jones L, Copeland AL. Motivation and readiness for tobacco cessation among nicotine dependent postmenopausal females: A pilot study. Exp Clin Psychopharmac. 2018 Apr;26(2):125-131. Pubmedid: 29648860.
- Vinci C, Guo L, Spears CA, Li L, Correa-Fernández V, Etcheverry PE, Lam CY, Hoover DS, Wetter DW. Socioeconomic indicators as predictors of smoking cessation among Spanish-Speaking Mexican Americans. Ethn Health. 2017 Sep;1-13. Pubmedid: 28859518. Pmcid: PMC5832556.
- Spears CA, Hedeker D, Li L, Wu C, Anderson NK, Houchins SC, Vinci C, Hoover DS, Vidrine JI, Cinciripini PM, Waters AJ, Wetter DW. Mechanisms underlying mindfulness-based addiction treatment versus cognitive behavioral therapy and usual care for smoking cessation. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2017 Nov;85(11):1029-1040. Pubmedid: 28650195. Pmcid: PMC5662477.
- Vinci C, Li L, Wu C, Lam CY, Guo L, Correa-Fernández V, Spears CA, Hoover DS, Etcheverry PE, Wetter DW. The association of positive emotion and first smoking lapse: An ecological momentary assessment study. Health Psychol. 2017 Nov;36(11):1038-1046. Pubmedid: 28726478. Pmcid: PMC5653435.
- Dworkin ER, Mota NP, Schumacher JA, Vinci C, Coffey SF. The unique associations of sexual assault and intimate partner violence with PTSD symptom clusters in a traumatized substance-abusing sample. Psychol Trauma. 2017 Jul;9(4):500-508. Pubmedid: 27736139. Pmcid: PMC5391293.
- Vinci C, Mota N, Berenz E, Connolly K. Examination of the Relationship Between PTSD and Distress Tolerance in a Sample of Male Veterans With Comorbid Substance Use Disorders. Mil Psychol. 2016 Mar;28(2):104-114. Pubmedid: 28649170. Pmcid: PMC5482557.
- Vinci C, Spears CA, Peltier MR, Copeland AL. Drinking Motives Mediate the Relationship between Facets of Mindfulness and Problematic Alcohol Use. Mindfulness (N Y). 2016 Jun;7(3):754-763. Pubmedid: 27570567. Pmcid: PMC4998974.
- Vinci C, Peltier M, Waldo K, Kinsaul J, Shah S, Coffey SF, Copeland AL. Examination of trait impulsivity on the response to a brief mindfulness intervention among college student drinkers. Psychiatry Res. 2016 Aug;242:365-374. Pubmedid: 27344030. Pmcid: PMC4975969.
- Coffey SF, Banducci AN, Vinci C. Common Questions About Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Psychiatric Disorders. Am Fam Physician. 2015 Nov;92(9):807-812. Pubmedid: 26554473.
- Mota NP, Schaumberg K, Vinci C, Sippel LM, Jackson M, Schumacher JA, Coffey SF. Imagery vividness ratings during exposure treatment for posttraumatic stress disorder as a predictor of treatment outcome. Behav Res Ther. 2015 Jun;69:22-28. Pubmedid: 25863254. Pmcid: PMC4425990.
- Vinci C, Kinsaul J, Carrigan MH, Copeland AL. The relationship between smoking motives and smoking urges experienced in response to a negative affect induction. Addictive Behaviors. 2015 Jan;40:96-101. Pubmedid: 25241308.
- Schaumberg K, Vinci C, Raiker JS, Mota N, Jackson M, Whalen D, Schumacher JA, Coffey SF. PTSD-related alcohol expectancies and impulsivity interact to predict alcohol use severity in a substance dependent sample with PTSD. Addictive Behaviors. 2015 Feb;41:41-45. Pubmedid: 25299460. Pmcid: PMC4984256.
- Vinci C, Peltier MR, Shah S, Kinsaul J, Waldo K, McVay MA, Copeland AL. Effects of a brief mindfulness intervention on negative affect and urge to drink among college student drinkers. Behav Res Ther. 2014 Aug;59:82-93. Pubmedid: 24972492.
- Adams CE, McVay MA, Stewart DW, Vinci C, Kinsaul J, Benitez L, Copeland AL. Mindfulness Ameliorates the Relationship between Weight Concerns and Smoking Behavior in Female Smokers: A Cross-Sectional Investigation. Mindfulness (N Y). 2014 Apr;5(2):179-185. Pubmedid: 24778746. Pmcid: PMC3999963.
- Buckner JD, Ecker AH, Vinci C. Cannabis use vulnerability among socially anxious users: cannabis craving during a social interaction. Psych Addic Behav. 2013 Mar;27(1):236-242. Pubmedid: 23002698.
- Buckner JD, Heimberg RG, Ecker AH, Vinci C. A biopsychosocial model of social anxiety and substance use. Depress Anxiety. 2013 Mar;30(3):276-284. Pubmedid: 23239365.
- Stewart DW, Vinci C, Adams CE, Cohen AS, Copeland AL. Smoking topography and outcome expectancies among individuals with schizotypy. Psychiatry Res. 2013 Feb;205(3):205-212. Pubmedid: 23261186. Pmcid: PMC3760683.
- Buckner JD, Vinci C. Smoking and social anxiety: the roles of gender and smoking motives. Addictive Behaviors. 2013 Aug;38(8):2388-2391. Pubmedid: 23639849. Pmcid: PMC3677699.
- Vinci C, McVay MM, Copeland AL, Carrigan MH. The relationship between depression level and smoking motives in college smokers. Psych Addic Behav. 2012 Mar;26(1):162-165. Pubmedid: 21553948.
- Vinci C, Copeland AL, Carrigan MH. Exposure to negative affect cues and urge to smoke. Exp Clin Psychopharmac. 2012 Feb;20(1):47-55. Pubmedid: 21875222.
- Adams CE, Apperson McVay M, Kinsaul J, Benitez L, Vinci C, Stewart DW, Copeland AL. Unique relationships between facets of mindfulness and eating pathology among female smokers. Eat Behav. 2012 Dec;13(4):390-393. Pubmedid: 23121795. Pmcid: PMC3837528.