Find a Researcher Search
- Health Outcomes and Behavior
- Health Outcomes & Behavior Program
Education & Training
- University of South Carolina Aiken, MS - Applied Clinical Psychology
- University of Mississippi Medical Center/GV (Sonny) Montgomery Veteran Affairs Medical Center, Resident - Pre-doctoral Psychology Intern (Resident)
- Louisiana State University, PhD - Clinical Psychology
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Fellow - Health Disparities Research
Dr. Vinci’s research broadly focuses on cognitive and affective mechanisms (e.g., affect, affect regulation, expectancies) implicated in the development, maintenance, and treatment of cancer-risk behaviors. More specifically, her work aims to understand the mechanisms underlying smoking cessation and decreased alcohol use among underserved populations in order to inform the development and modification of treatment interventions. She has a specific interest in mindfulness-based treatments, as these interventions have the ability to target mechanisms that are central to changing certain behaviors including quitting smoking and decreasing alcohol use. She currently has a K99/R00 award from the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities that is utilizing advanced technology (i.e., ecological momentary assessment, human sensing) to examine the impact of mindfulness strategies on key mechanisms underlying smoking cessation among a sample of low socioeconomic and racially/ethnically diverse smokers.
- Spears CA, Hedeker D, Li L, Wu C, Anderson NK, Houchins SC, Vinci C, Hoover DS, Vidrine JI, Cinciripini PM, Waters AJ, Wetter DW. Mechanisms Underlying Mindfulness-Based Addiction Treatment Versus Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Usual Care for Smoking Cessation. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2017 Jun. Pubmedid: 28650195.
- Dworkin ER, Mota NP, Schumacher JA, Vinci C, Coffey SF. The unique associations of sexual assault and intimate partner violence with PTSD symptom clusters in a traumatized substance-abusing sample. Psychol Trauma. 2017 Jul;9(4):500-508. Pubmedid: 27736139. Pmcid: PMC5391293.
- Vinci C, Mota N, Berenz E, Connolly K. Examination of the Relationship Between PTSD and Distress Tolerance in a Sample of Male Veterans With Comorbid Substance Use Disorders. Mil Psychol. 2016 Mar;28(2):104-114. Pubmedid: 28649170. Pmcid: PMC5482557.
- Vinci C, Spears CA, Peltier MR, Copeland AL. Drinking Motives Mediate the Relationship between Facets of Mindfulness and Problematic Alcohol Use. Mindfulness (N Y). 2016 Jun;7(3):754-763. Pubmedid: 27570567. Pmcid: PMC4998974.
- Vinci C, Peltier M, Waldo K, Kinsaul J, Shah S, Coffey SF, Copeland AL. Examination of trait impulsivity on the response to a brief mindfulness intervention among college student drinkers. Psychiatry Res. 2016 Aug;242:365-374. Pubmedid: 27344030. Pmcid: PMC4975969.
- Coffey SF, Banducci AN, Vinci C. Common Questions About Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Psychiatric Disorders. Am Fam Physician. 2015 Nov;92(9):807-812. Pubmedid: 26554473.
- Mota NP, Schaumberg K, Vinci C, Sippel LM, Jackson M, Schumacher JA, Coffey SF. Imagery vividness ratings during exposure treatment for posttraumatic stress disorder as a predictor of treatment outcome. Behav Res Ther. 2015 Jun;69:22-28. Pubmedid: 25863254. Pmcid: PMC4425990.
- Vinci C, Kinsaul J, Carrigan MH, Copeland AL. The relationship between smoking motives and smoking urges experienced in response to a negative affect induction. Addictive Behaviors. 2015 Jan;40:96-101. Pubmedid: 25241308.
- Schaumberg K, Vinci C, Raiker JS, Mota N, Jackson M, Whalen D, Schumacher JA, Coffey SF. PTSD-related alcohol expectancies and impulsivity interact to predict alcohol use severity in a substance dependent sample with PTSD. Addictive Behaviors. 2015 Feb;41:41-45. Pubmedid: 25299460. Pmcid: PMC4984256.
- Vinci C, Peltier MR, Shah S, Kinsaul J, Waldo K, McVay MA, Copeland AL. Effects of a brief mindfulness intervention on negative affect and urge to drink among college student drinkers. Behav Res Ther. 2014 Aug;59:82-93. Pubmedid: 24972492.
- Adams CE, McVay MA, Stewart DW, Vinci C, Kinsaul J, Benitez L, Copeland AL. Mindfulness Ameliorates the Relationship between Weight Concerns and Smoking Behavior in Female Smokers: A Cross-Sectional Investigation. Mindfulness (N Y). 2014 Apr;5(2):179-185. Pubmedid: 24778746. Pmcid: PMC3999963.
- Buckner JD, Ecker AH, Vinci C. Cannabis use vulnerability among socially anxious users: cannabis craving during a social interaction. Psych Addic Behav. 2013 Mar;27(1):236-242. Pubmedid: 23002698.
- Buckner JD, Heimberg RG, Ecker AH, Vinci C. A biopsychosocial model of social anxiety and substance use. Depress Anxiety. 2013 Mar;30(3):276-284. Pubmedid: 23239365.
- Stewart DW, Vinci C, Adams CE, Cohen AS, Copeland AL. Smoking topography and outcome expectancies among individuals with schizotypy. Psychiatry Res. 2013 Feb;205(3):205-212. Pubmedid: 23261186. Pmcid: PMC3760683.
- Buckner JD, Vinci C. Smoking and social anxiety: the roles of gender and smoking motives. Addictive Behaviors. 2013 Aug;38(8):2388-2391. Pubmedid: 23639849. Pmcid: PMC3677699.
- Vinci C, McVay MM, Copeland AL, Carrigan MH. The relationship between depression level and smoking motives in college smokers. Psych Addic Behav. 2012 Mar;26(1):162-165. Pubmedid: 21553948.
- Vinci C, Copeland AL, Carrigan MH. Exposure to negative affect cues and urge to smoke. Exp Clin Psychopharmac. 2012 Feb;20(1):47-55. Pubmedid: 21875222.
- Adams CE, Apperson McVay M, Kinsaul J, Benitez L, Vinci C, Stewart DW, Copeland AL. Unique relationships between facets of mindfulness and eating pathology among female smokers. Eat Behav. 2012 Dec;13(4):390-393. Pubmedid: 23121795. Pmcid: PMC3837528.