Find a Researcher Search
Brian D. Gonzalez
Dr. Gonzalez aims to predict quality of life issues and to develop mobile health (mHealth) interventions for quality of life issues in diverse cancer populations.
- Health Outcomes and Behavior
- Health Outcomes & Behavior Program
Education & Training
- University of South Florida, MA - Clinical Psychology
- University of South Florida, PhD - Clinical Psychology
- Moffitt Cancer Center, Postdoctoral Fellow - Behavioral Oncology
Dr. Gonzalez obtained his PhD in Clinical Psychology at the University of South Florida and completed a Postdoctoral Fellowship in Behavioral Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Gonzalez’s research focuses on reducing the burden of quality of life issues (e.g., sleep disturbance, cognitive impairment, fatigue, depression) faced by cancer patients and survivors. He aims to develop biopsychosocial models to predict quality of life issues in cancer populations. These models account for the unique contribution of cancer and treatment for cancer. Dr. Gonzalez also develops mobile health (mHealth) behavioral interventions to address quality of life issues among cancer populations. Because many minority cancer patients are largely underserved, an emphasis of Dr. Gonzalez’s work is culturally targeting new interventions to minority cancer populations. Dr. Gonzalez recently began an NIH-funded career development award to develop a culturally targeted mHealth intervention to reduce sleep disturbance among African American breast cancer survivors.
- Donovan KA, Gonzales BD, Nelson AM, Fishman MN, Zachariah B, Jacobsen PB. Effect of androgen deprivation therapy on sexual function and bother in men with prostate cancer: A controlled comparison. Psychooncology. 2017 May. Pubmedid: 28557112.
- Llanos AAM, Rabkin A, Bandera EV, Zirpoli G, Gonzalez BD, Xing CY, Qin B, Lin Y, Hong CC, Demissie K, Ambrosone CB. Hair product use and breast cancer risk among African American and White women. Carcinogenesis. 2017 Jun. Pubmedid: 28605409.
- Gonzalez BD, Manne SL, Stapleton J, Myers-Virtue S, Ozga M, Kissane D, Heckman C, Morgan M. Quality of life trajectories after diagnosis of gynecologic cancer: a theoretically based approach. Support Care Cancer. 2017 Feb;25(2):589-598. Pubmedid: 27757706. Pmcid: PMC5199611.
- Hoogland AI, Nelson AM, Small BJ, Hyland KA, Gonzalez BD, Booth-Jones M, Anasetti C, Jacobsen PB, Jim HSL. The Role of Age in Neurocognitive Functioning among Adult Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplant Recipients. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2017 Aug. Pubmedid: 28797784.
- Lee MS, Asvat Y, Gonzalez BD, Jacobsen PB, Jim HS. Coping, stress, and insomnia in hematopoietic stem cell transplant candidates. Psychooncology. 2017 Apr;26(4):560-562. Pubmedid: 27073024. Pmcid: PMC5063691.
- Garland SN, Zhou ES, Gonzalez BD, Rodriguez N. The Quest for Mindful Sleep: A Critical Synthesis of the Impact of Mindfulness-Based Interventions for Insomnia. Curr Sleep Med Rep. 2016 Sep;2(3):142-151. Pubmedid: 28191449. Pmcid: PMC5300077.
- Nelson AM, Gonzalez BD, Jim HS, Cessna JM, Sutton SK, Small BJ, Fishman MN, Zachariah B, Jacobsen PB. Characteristics and predictors of fatigue among men receiving androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer: a controlled comparison. Support Care Cancer. 2016 Oct;24(10):4159-4166. Pubmedid: 27142516. Pmcid: PMC4995123.
- Gonzalez BD, Jim HS, Small BJ, Sutton SK, Fishman MN, Zachariah B, Heysek RV, Jacobsen PB. Changes in physical functioning and muscle strength in men receiving androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer: a controlled comparison. Support Care Cancer. 2016 May;24(5):2201-2207. Pubmedid: 26563183. Pmcid: PMC4805468.
- Evans BJ, Phillips KM, Gonzalez BD, Apte S, Small BJ, Jacobsen PB, Jim HS. Psychosocial resources and sleep disturbance before chemotherapy for gynecologic cancer. J Psychosoc Oncol. 2016 Jul;34(1-2):60-76. Pubmedid: 26771556. Pmcid: PMC4786448.
- Barata A, Gonzalez BD, Sutton SK, Small BJ, Jacobsen PB, Field T, Fernandez H, Jim HS. Coping strategies modify risk of depression associated with hematopoietic cell transplant symptomatology. J Health Psychol. 2016 Apr;1359105316642004. Pubmedid: 27106092. Pmcid: PMC5509511.
- Gonzalez BD, Jim HS, Donovan KA, Small BJ, Sutton SK, Park J, Lin HY, Spiess PE, Fishman MN, Jacobsen PB. Course and Moderators of Hot Flash Interference during Androgen Deprivation Therapy for Prostate Cancer: A Matched Comparison. J Urol. 2015 Sep;194(3):690-695. Pubmedid: 25791402. Pmcid: PMC4546512.
- Jacobsen PB, Muchnick S, Marcus S, Amheiser P, Reiersen P, Gonzalez B, Gomez M, Jim HS, Thompson LM, Minton S, Bower J. Pilot study of Iyengar yoga for management of aromatase inhibitor-associated arthralgia in women with breast cancer. Psychooncology. 2015 Nov;24(11):1578-1580. Pubmedid: 25631519. Pmcid: PMC4610866.
- Gonzalez BD, Jim HS, Booth-Jones M, Small BJ, Sutton SK, Lin HY, Park JY, Spiess PE, Fishman MN, Jacobsen PB. Course and Predictors of Cognitive Function in Patients With Prostate Cancer Receiving Androgen-Deprivation Therapy: A Controlled Comparison. J Clin Oncol. 2015 Jun;33(18):2021-2027. Pubmedid: 25964245. Pmcid: PMC4461804.
- Gonzalez BD, Jim HS, Cessna JM, Small BJ, Sutton SK, Jacobsen PB. Concealment of lung cancer diagnosis: prevalence and correlates. Psychooncology. 2015 Dec;24(12):1774-1783. Pubmedid: 25753772. Pmcid: PMC4564357.
- Jim HS, Quinn GP, Barata A, Cases M, Cessna J, Gonzalez B, Gonzalez L, Koskan A, Montiel-Ishino F, Pidala J. Caregivers' quality of life after blood and marrow transplantation: a qualitative study. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2014 Sep;49(9):1234-1236. Pubmedid: 24887387. Pmcid: PMC4313382.
- Jim HS, Evans B, Jeong JM, Gonzalez BD, Johnston L, Nelson AM, Kesler S, Phillips KM, Barata A, Pidala J, Palesh O. Sleep disruption in hematopoietic cell transplantation recipients: prevalence, severity, and clinical management. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2014 Oct;20(10):1465-1484. Pubmedid: 24747335. Pmcid: PMC4163090.
- Donovan KA, Gonzalez BD, Small BJ, Andrykowski MA, Jacobsen PB. Depressive symptom trajectories during and after adjuvant treatment for breast cancer. Ann Behav Med. 2014 Jun;47(3):292-302. Pubmedid: 24158626. Pmcid: PMC4313122.
- Phillips KM, McGinty HL, Cessna J, Asvat Y, Gonzalez B, Cases MG, Small BJ, Jacobsen PB, Pidala J, Jim HS. A systematic review and meta-analysis of changes in cognitive functioning in adults undergoing hematopoietic cell transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2013 Oct;48(10):1350-1357. Pubmedid: 23645166. Pmcid: PMC3770806.
- Phillips KM, McGinty HL, Gonzalez BD, Jim HS, Small BJ, Minton S, Andrykowski MA, Jacobsen PB. Factors associated with breast cancer worry 3 years after completion of adjuvant treatment. Psychooncology. 2013 Apr;22(4):936-939. Pubmedid: 22419546. Pmcid: PMC3392435.
- Gonzalez BD, Jacobsen PB. Depression in lung cancer patients: the role of perceived stigma. Psychooncology. 2012 Mar;21(3):239-246. Pubmedid: 22383265.
- Ditre JW, Gonzalez BD, Simmons VN, Faul LA, Brandon TH, Jacobsen PB. Associations between pain and current smoking status among cancer patients. Pain. 2011 Jan;152(1):60-65. Pubmedid: 21168758. Pmcid: PMC3031140.