Find a Doctor Search
Dr. Wang is a clinical geneticist with accreditations from the American Board of Medical Genetics (ABMG) and the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM). She has more than 15 years of clinical experience in genetic conditions affecting adults. Her work focuses on risk assessment for hereditary cancer, interpretation of genetic test results, cancer screening for individuals with hereditary risk, and comprehensive care for individuals with complex hereditary tumor syndromes, such as Neurofibromatosis, Tuberose Sclerosis and von Hippel-Lindau disease. As a physician with considerable experience in the fields of molecular biology, biochemistry and genomics, she plays a critical role in the individualized cancer care emphasized by Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Wang provides genetic consultation and professional guidance for genetic counselors who offer genetic counseling, testing options and cancer screening recommendations. Moffit Cancer Center has created a high-risk cancer screening clinic called “GeneHome” which is designated for patients with inherited cancer risks. In the clinic Dr. Wang, assisted by an experienced nurse practitioner, designs cancer screening strategies based on national practice guidelines and tailored to the patient’s particular situation. Not only does Dr. Wang evaluate, examine and educate patients and their families, but she also coordinates complex cancer screening schedules and refers patients for further diagnostics and treatment when needed. Dr. Wang is passionate about the comprehensive care for patients with Neurofibromatosis (NF). She has created and directs the first multi-disciplinary neurofibromatosis clinic in Florida dedicated to adult patients. The Moffitt NF clinic offers its patients and family members educational and counseling services, as well as a variety of genetic testing options and comprehensive evaluations. The comprehensive and coordinated care is made possible by an extended team of specialists dedicated to neurofibromatosis inside Moffitt and in the community of Tampa Bay and beyond. The Moffitt NF clinic is certified by CTF NF foundation as a part of NFCN (NF Clinic Network). The clinic is working with CTF foundation to refine the standard care and explore innovative treatments. Besides clinical care, Dr. Wang also engages in researches aimed at advancing the understanding and improving the treatment strategies of hereditary cancers. One of her research interests is to understand the clinical significance of genomic variations in cancer. She has studied the histological and molecular characters of breast cancer in women with Neurofibromatosis type 1. She is also focused on finding the genomic and biological markers of hereditary tumors to improve the strategies to monitor, screen and optimize the timing of intervention.
Education & Training
- Internal Medicine
- Clinical Genetics
- Detroit Medical Center - Clinical Medical Genetics
If you believe you are eligible for one of these trials or studies, please call
- Wang X, Teer JK, Tousignant RN, Levin AM, Boulware D, Chitale DA, Shaw BM, Chen Z, Zhang Y, Blakeley JO, Acosta MT, Messiaen LM, Korf BR, Tainsky MA. Breast cancer risk and germline genomic profiling of women with neurofibromatosis type 1 who developed breast cancer. Gene Chromosome Canc. 2017 Sep. Pubmedid: 28891274.
- Wang X, Feng Q, Xiao Y, Li P. Radix Bupleuri ameliorates depression by increasing nerve growth factor and brain-derived neurotrophic factor. Int J Clin Exp Med. 2015;8(6):9205-9217. Pubmedid: 26309578. Pmcid: PMC4538160.
- Liang D, Wang X, Mittal A, Dhiman S, Hou SY, Degenhardt K, Astrof S. Mesodermal expression of integrin α5β1 regulates neural crest development and cardiovascular morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2014 Nov;395(2):232-244. Pubmedid: 25242040. Pmcid: PMC4252364.
- Wang X, Levin AM, Smolinski SE, Vigneau FD, Levin NK, Tainsky MA. Breast cancer and other neoplasms in women with neurofibromatosis type 1: a retrospective review of cases in the Detroit metropolitan area. Am J Med Genet A. 2012 Dec;158A(12):3061-3064. Pubmedid: 22965642. Pmcid: PMC3505236.
- Ballard TE, Wang X, Olekhnovich I, Koerner T, Seymour C, Salamoun J, Warthan M, Hoffman PS, Macdonald TL. Synthesis and antimicrobial evaluation of nitazoxanide-based analogues: identification of selective and broad spectrum activity. Chemmedchem. 2011 Feb;6(2):362-377. Pubmedid: 21275058. Pmcid: PMC3089805.
- Wooderchak W, Gedge F, McDonald M, Krautscheid P, Wang X, Malkiewicz J, Bukjiok CJ, Lewis T, Bayrak-Toydemir P. Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia: two distinct ENG deletions in one family. Clin Genet. 2010 Nov;78(5):484-489. Pubmedid: 20412114.
- Swain JE, Wang X, Saunders TL, Dunn R, Smith GD. Specific inhibition of mouse oocyte nuclear protein phosphatase-1 stimulates germinal vesicle breakdown. Mol Reprod Dev. 2003 May;65(1):96-103. Pubmedid: 12658638.
- Wang X, Jakobs C, Bawle EV. D-2-Hydroxyglutaric aciduria with absence of corpus callosum and neonatal intracranial haemorrhage. J Inherit Metab Dis. 2003;26(1):92-94. Pubmedid: 12872850.
- Wang X, Hansen SK, Ratts R, Zhou S, Snook AJ, Zehring W. Drosophila TFIIE: purification, cloning, and functional reconstitution. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997 Jan;94(2):433-438. Pubmedid: 9012800. Pmcid: PMC19529.