Find a Doctor
Xia Wang, MD, PhD
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Types Treated: Neurofibromatosis
Dr. Wang is a clinical geneticist with accreditations from the American Board of Medical Genetics (ABMG) and the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM). She also has considerable experience in the fields of molecular biology, biochemistry and genomics. She has more than 15 years of clinical experience in genetic conditions, including cancer genetics. Her work focuses on evaluation of hereditary cancer, interpretation of genetic test results, cancer screening for individuals with hereditary risk, and comprehensive care for individuals with complex hereditary tumor syndromes, such as neurofibromatosis, tuberose sclerosis, Cowden syndrome and von Hippel-Lindau disease. Moffitt Cancer Center has created a high-risk cancer screening clinic called “GeneHome” which is designated for patients with inherited cancer risks. In the clinic Dr. Wang, assisted by an experienced nurse practitioner, designs cancer screening strategies based on national practice guidelines and tailored to the patient’s particular situation. Not only does Dr. Wang evaluate, examine and educate patients and their families, but she also coordinates complex cancer screening schedules and refers patients for further diagnostics and treatment when needed. Dr. Wang is passionate about the comprehensive care for patients with neurofibromatosis (NF). She has created and directs the first multi-disciplinary neurofibromatosis clinic in Florida dedicated to adult patients. The Moffitt NF clinic offers its patients and family members educational and counseling services, as well as a variety of genetic testing options and comprehensive evaluations. The comprehensive and coordinated care is made possible by an extended team of specialists dedicated to neurofibromatosis inside Moffitt and in the community of Tampa Bay and beyond. The Moffitt NF clinic is certified by CTF NF foundation as a part of NFCN (NF Clinic Network). Besides clinical care, Dr. Wang also engages in research aimed at advancing the strategies to monitor, screen and optimize the timing of intervention for hereditary cancer/tumor syndromes. She has characterized the histological and molecular features of breast cancer in women with neurofibromatosis type 1.
Education & Training
- Internal Medicine
- Clinical Genetics
- Detroit Medical Center - Clinical Medical Genetics
- Peking Union Medical University - MD
CLINICAL TRIAL 19587
Neurofibroma and MPNST Tumor Progression in Neurofibromatosis Type 1 (NF1) -- Genomic, Histological and Clinical Analysis, an NF Research MPNST Genomic Consortium (GeM) Project: Part 2 -- Prospective Recruitment, Tissue Collection, and Analysis
Condition: Neurologic Oncology
CLINICAL TRIAL 19744
Benign Neurofibroma and MPNST Tumor Progression in Neurofibromatosis Type 1 (NF1) - Evolution of the Growth Factor Receptor and Hormonal Receptor Expression
Condition: Neurologic Oncology
- Wang X, Chitale D. HER2 Expression in NF1 Breast Cancer-Response. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2019 Mar;12(3):197-198. Pubmedid: 30792347.
- Wang X, Brzosowicz JP, Park JY. Response to Roberts et al. 2018: cohort ascertainment and methods of analysis impact the association between cancer and genetic predisposition - the tale of breast cancer risk and Lynch syndrome genes MSH6/PMS2. Genet Med. 2019 Feb. Pubmedid: 30816297.
- Wang X, Kallionpää RA, Gonzales PR, Chitale DA, Tousignant RN, Crowley JP, Chen Z, Yoder SJ, Blakeley JO, Acosta MT, Korf BR, Messiaen LM, Tainsky MA. Germline and Somatic Alterations Are Linked to Increased HER2 Expression in Breast Cancer. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2018 Oct;11(10):655-664. Pubmedid: 30104415.
- Wang X, Teer JK, Tousignant RN, Levin AM, Boulware D, Chitale DA, Shaw BM, Chen Z, Zhang Y, Blakeley JO, Acosta MT, Messiaen LM, Korf BR, Tainsky MA. Breast cancer risk and germline genomic profiling of women with neurofibromatosis type 1 who developed breast cancer. Gene Chromosome Canc. 2018 Jan;57(1):19-27. Pubmedid: 28891274.
- Wang X, Levin AM, Smolinski SE, Vigneau FD, Levin NK, Tainsky MA. Breast cancer and other neoplasms in women with neurofibromatosis type 1: a retrospective review of cases in the Detroit metropolitan area. Am J Med Genet A. 2012 Dec;158A(12):3061-3064. Pubmedid: 22965642. Pmcid: PMC3505236.
- Wooderchak W, Gedge F, McDonald M, Krautscheid P, Wang X, Malkiewicz J, Bukjiok CJ, Lewis T, Bayrak-Toydemir P. Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia: two distinct ENG deletions in one family. Clin Genet. 2010 Nov;78(5):484-489. Pubmedid: 20412114.
- Wang X, Jakobs C, Bawle EV. D-2-Hydroxyglutaric aciduria with absence of corpus callosum and neonatal intracranial haemorrhage. J Inherit Metab Dis. 2003;26(1):92-94. Pubmedid: 12872850.
- Wang X, Hansen SK, Ratts R, Zhou S, Snook AJ, Zehring W. Drosophila TFIIE: purification, cloning, and functional reconstitution. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997 Jan;94(2):433-438. Pubmedid: 9012800. Pmcid: PMC19529.