Find a Doctor
Sungjune Kim, MD, PhD
Specialty: Radiation Oncology
Program: Radiation Oncology
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
As the section chief for hematologic malignancy in the department of radiation oncology, Dr. Kim's clinical interests are treatment of patients with lymphoma and leukemia with radiation therapy. He is conducting a number of clinical research projects to improve management of lymphoma patients. Additionally, he has non-site specific interest in combining radiation therapy with immunotherapy, in particular melanoma, Merkel cell carcinoma and CNS malignancies.
Education & Training
- Radiation Oncology
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center/USF - Radiation Oncology
- Vanderbilt University - MD, PhD
CLINICAL TRIAL 18786
A Phase 2, Randomized, Multi-institutional Study of Nivolumab and Ipilimumab versus Nivolumab, Ipilimumab and Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy for Metastatic Merkel Cell Carcinoma
Intervention: BMS-936558 (Nivolumab); Ipilimumab (); Nivolumab (Opdivo); Yervoy (Ipilimumab)
- Perez BA, Kim S, Wang M, Karimi AM, Powell C, Li J, Dilling TJ, Chiappori A, Latifi K, Rose T, Lannon A, MacMillan G, Saller J, Grass GD, Rosenberg S, Gray J, Haura E, Creelan B, Tanvetyanon T, Saltos A, Shafique M, Boyle TA, Schell MJ, Conejo-Garcia JR, Antonia SJ. Prospective Single-Arm Phase 1 and 2 Study: Ipilimumab and Nivolumab With Thoracic Radiation Therapy After Platinum Chemotherapy in Extensive-Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2021 Feb.109(2):425-435. Pubmedid: 33002543.
- Hamaidi I, Zhang L, Kim N, Wang MH, Iclozan C, Fang B, Liu M, Koomen JM, Berglund AE, Yoder SJ, Yao J, Engelman RW, Creelan BC, Conejo-Garcia JR, Antonia SJ, Mulé JJ, Kim S. Sirt2 Inhibition Enhances Metabolic Fitness and Effector Functions of Tumor-Reactive T Cells. Cell Metab. 2020 Sep.32(3):420-436.e12. Pubmedid: 32768387. Pmcid: PMC7484212.
- Zhang L, Kim S, Ren X. The Clinical Significance of SIRT2 in Malignancies: A Tumor Suppressor or an Oncogene?. Front Oncol. 2020 Sep.10:1721. Pubmedid: 33014852. Pmcid: PMC7506103.
- Sahebjam S, Forsyth PA, Tran ND, Arrington JA, Macaulay R, Etame AB, Walko CM, Boyle T, Peguero EN, Jaglal M, Mokhtari S, Enderling H, Raghunand N, Gatewood T, Long W, Dzierzeski JL, Evernden B, Robinson T, Wicklund MC, Kim S, Thompson ZJ, Chen DT, Chinnaiyan P, Yu HM. Hypofractionated Stereotactic Re-Irradiation with Pembrolizumab and Bevacizumab in Patients with Recurrent High Grade Gliomas: Results from a Phase 1 Study. Neurooncol. 2020 Nov. Pubmedid: 33173935.
- Yuan Z, Fernandez D, Dhillon J, Abraham-Miranda J, Awasthi S, Kim Y, Zhang J, Jain R, Serna A, Pow-Sang JM, Poch M, Li R, Manley B, Fink A, Naghavi A, Torres-Roca JF, Grass GD, Kim S, Latifi K, Hunt D, Johnstone PAS, Yamoah K. Proof-of-principle Phase I results of combining nivolumab with brachytherapy and external beam radiation therapy for Grade Group 5 prostate cancer: safety, feasibility, and exploratory analysis. Prostate Cancer P D. 2020 Jul. Pubmedid: 32651467.
- Yang G, Mills M, Kim Y, Figura NB, Doyle C, Oliver D, Grass GD, Robinson T, Chavez J, Kim S. Enhancement of the Follicular Lymphoma International Prognostic Index (FLIPI) with lymphopenia (FLIPI-L): a predictor for overall survival and histologic transformation. Blood Cancer J. 2020 Jan.9(12):104. Pubmedid: 31894139. Pmcid: PMC6938796.
- Berglund A, Mills M, Putney RM, Hamaidi I, Mulé J, Kim S. Methylation of immune synapse genes modulates tumor immunogenicity. J Clin Invest. 2020 Feb.130(2):974-980. Pubmedid: 31714899. Pmcid: PMC6994116.
- Chen DT, Schell MJ, Fulp WJ, Pettersson F, Kim S, Gray JE, Haura EB. Application of Bayesian predictive probability for interim futility analysis in single-arm phase II trial. Transl Cancer Res. 2019 Jul.8(Suppl 4):S404-S420. Pubmedid: 31456910. Pmcid: PMC6711387.
- Hill KS, Roberts ER, Wang X, Marin E, Park TD, Son S, Ren Y, Fang B, Yoder S, Kim S, Wan L, Sarnaik AA, Koomen JM, Messina JL, Teer JK, Kim Y, Wu J, Chalfant CE, Kim M. PTPN11 Plays Oncogenic Roles and Is a Therapeutic Target for BRAF Wild-Type Melanomas. Mol Cancer Res. 2019 Feb.17(2):583-593. Pubmedid: 30355677. Pmcid: PMC6386183.
- Sim AJ, Jain MD, Figura N, Chavez JC, Shah BD, Khimani F, Lazarayan A, Krivenko G, Davila ML, Liu HD, Falchook AD, Dahiya S, Rapoport AP, Kim SU, Locke FL, Robinson TJ. Radiation Therapy as a Bridging Strategy for CAR T Cell Therapy With Axicabtagene Ciloleucel in Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2019 Dec.105(5):1012-1021. Pubmedid: 31175906. Pmcid: PMC6872916.
- Grass GD, Mills MN, Ahmed KA, Liveringhouse CL, Montejo ME, Robinson TJ, Chavez JC, Harrison LB, Kim S. Radiotherapy for early stage diffuse large B-cell lymphoma with or without double or triple hit genetic alterations. Leuk Lymphoma. 2019 Apr.60(4):886-893. Pubmedid: 30457458. Pmcid: PMC6596288.
- López Alfonso JC, Poleszczuk J, Walker R, Kim S, Pilon-Thomas S, Conejo-Garcia JJ, Soliman H, Czerniecki B, Harrison LB, Enderling H. Immunologic Consequences of Sequencing Cancer Radiotherapy and Surgery. JCO Clin Cancer Inform. 2019 Apr.3:1-16. Pubmedid: 30964698. Pmcid: PMC6661069.
- Yuan Z, Grass GD, Robinson TJ, Kim S. Management of primary cutaneous CD4+ small and medium pleomorphic T-cell lymphoma: A retrospective study. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018 Oct.79(4):772-774. Pubmedid: 29857014. Pmcid: PMC6563324.
- Walker R, Poleszczuk J, Pilon-Thomas S, Kim S, Anderson AARA, Czerniecki BJ, Harrison LB, Moros EG, Enderling H. Immune interconnectivity of anatomically distant tumors as a potential mediator of systemic responses to local therapy. Sci Rep. 2018 Jun.8(1):9474. Pubmedid: 29930290. Pmcid: PMC6013469.
- Strom T, Harrison LB, Giuliano AR, Schell MJ, Eschrich SA, Berglund A, Fulp W, Thapa R, Coppola D, Kim S, Frakes J, Foekens J, Mulé JJ, Torres-Roca JF. Tumour radiosensitivity is associated with immune activation in solid tumours. Eur J Cancer. 2017 Oct.84:304-314. Pubmedid: 28863385. Pmcid: PMC5822441.
- Caudell JJ, Torres-Roca JF, Gillies RJ, Enderling H, Kim S, Rishi A, Moros EG, Harrison LB. The future of personalised radiotherapy for head and neck cancer. Lancet Oncol. 2017 May.18(5):e266-e273. Pubmedid: 28456586. Pmcid: PMC7771279.
- Ahmed KA, Grass GD, Creelan B, Gray J, Kim S, Dilling TJ, Antonia SJ, Perez BA. Tolerability and Safety of Thoracic Radiation and Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors Among Patients with Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017 May.98(1):224. Pubmedid: 28586976.
- Ahmed KA, Kim S, Arrington J, Naghavi AO, Dilling TJ, Creelan BC, Antonia SJ, Caudell JJ, Harrison LB, Sahebjam S, Gray JE, Etame AB, Johnstone PA, Yu M, Perez BA. Outcomes targeting the PD-1/PD-L1 axis in conjunction with stereotactic radiation for patients with non-small cell lung cancer brain metastases. J Neurooncol. 2017 Jun.133(2):331-338. Pubmedid: 28466250.
- Ahmed KA, Kim S, Harrison LB. Novel Opportunities to Use Radiation Therapy with Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for Melanoma Management. Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2017 Jul.26(3):515-529. Pubmedid: 28576186.
- Strom T, Naghavi AO, Messina JL, Kim S, Torres-Roca JF, Russell J, Sondak VK, Padhya TA, Trotti AM, Caudell JJ, Harrison LB. Improved local and regional control with radiotherapy for Merkel cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Head Neck. 2017 Jan.39(1):48-55. Pubmedid: 27300153.
- Abuodeh Y, Ahmed K, Echevarria M, Naghavi A, Grass GD, Robinson TJ, Tomblyn M, Shah B, Chavez J, Bello C, El-Haddad G, Harrison L, Kim S. Priming radioimmunotherapy with external beam radiation in patients with relapsed low grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Ther Adv Hematol. 2017 Apr.8(4):129-138. Pubmedid: 28491264. Pmcid: PMC5405899.
- Strom T, Carr M, Zager JS, Naghavi A, Smith FO, Cruse CW, Messina JL, Russell J, Rao NG, Fulp W, Kim S, Torres-Roca JF, Padhya TA, Sondak VK, Trotti AM, Harrison LB, Caudell JJ. Radiation Therapy is Associated with Improved Outcomes in Merkel Cell Carcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016 Oct.23(11):3572-3578. Pubmedid: 27251134.
- Naghavi A, Johnstone P, Kim S. Clinical trials exploring the benefit of immunotherapy and radiation in cancer treatment: A review of the past and a look into the future. Curr Prob Cancer. 2016 Jan.40(1):38-67. Pubmedid: 26656977.
- Abuodeh Y, Venkat P, Kim S. Systematic review of case reports on the abscopal effect. Curr Prob Cancer. 2016 Dec.40(1):25-37. Pubmedid: 26582738.
- Grass GD, Krishna N, Kim S. The immune mechanisms of abscopal effect in radiation therapy. Curr Prob Cancer. 2016 Dec.40(1):10-24. Pubmedid: 26612692.
- Ahmed KA, Abuodeh YA, Echevarria MI, Arrington JA, Stallworth DG, Hogue C, Naghavi AO, Kim S, Kim Y, Patel BG, Sarangkasiri S, Johnstone PA, Sahebjam S, Khushalani NI, Forsyth PA, Harrison LB, Yu M, Etame AB, Caudell JJ. Clinical outcomes of melanoma brain metastases treated with stereotactic radiosurgery and anti-PD-1 therapy, anti-CTLA-4 therapy, BRAF/MEK inhibitors, BRAF inhibitor, or conventional chemotherapy. Ann Oncol. 2016 Dec.27(12):2288-2294. Pubmedid: 27637745.
- Kim S, Ramakrishnan R, Lavilla-Alonso S, Chinnaiyan P, Rao N, Fowler E, Heine J, Gabrilovich DI. Radiation-induced autophagy potentiates immunotherapy of cancer via up-regulation of mannose 6-phosphate receptor on tumor cells in mice. Cancer Immunol Immun. 2014 Oct.63(10):1009-1021. Pubmedid: 24943275. Pmcid: PMC4330093.
- Dilling TJ, Extermann M, Kim J, Thompson LM, Yue B, Stevens CW, Antonia S, Gray J, Williams C, Haura E, Pinder-Schenck M, Tanvetyanon T, Kim S, Chiappori A. Phase 2 study of concurrent cetuximab plus definitive thoracic radiation therapy followed by consolidation docetaxel plus cetuximab in poor prognosis or elderly patients with locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014 Nov.90(4):828-833. Pubmedid: 25216856.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.