Find a Doctor Search
Dr. Smitha R. Pabbathi is an Academic Oncology Hospitalist and primarily cares for hospitalized patients at Moffitt Cancer Center. She received her Bachelors in Science at Florida State University and her Medical Degree at University of Florida, College of Medicine. She continued at the Internal Medicine Residency Program at University of Florida. Following her training, she joined the Division of Hospital Medicine faculty at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, IL. During her time at Northwestern, she was a part of an emerging subdivision of Hospitalists dedicated to the care of Oncology patients. She was inspired by the courage oncology patients possessed during the most challenging time in their life. Dr. Pabbathi joined the Internal Hospital Medicine Department at Moffitt Cancer Center as an Assistant Member in 2011. She is a strong clinician and an educator to medical students and Internal Medicine residents. She is one of the Moffitt site directors for both Undergraduate and Graduate Medical Education. Dr. Pabbathi received the Moffitt award for Outstanding Resident Teaching award in 2014. In 2015, she was selected to attend the AAMC women’s leadership conference. She has also been named the new Medical Director of the Survivorship Program at Moffitt Cancer Center in the spring of 2015. She is strong patient advocate and provides outstanding care to patients.
Education & Training
- Internal Medicine
- University of Florida - Internal Medicine
- University of Florida - MD
- Singh V, Nanjappa S, Pabbathi S, Greene JN. Invasive Haemophilus influenzae Infection in Patients With Cancer. Cancer Control. 2017 Jan;24(1):66-71. Pubmedid: 28178716.
- Nanjappa S, Singh V, Uttamchandani S, Pabbathi S. Thrombotic Microangiopathy in a Patient Treated With Gemcitabine. Cancer Control. 2017 Jan;24(1):54-56. Pubmedid: 28178713.
- Srikumar T, Pabbathi S, Fernandez J, Nanjappa S. Aspergillus Terreus Brain Abscess Complicated by Tension Pneumocephalus in a Patient with Angiosarcoma. Am J Case Rep. 2017 Jan;18:33-37. Pubmedid: 28070116. Pmcid: PMC5240880.
- Reed DR, Oshrine B, Pratt C, Fridgen O, Elstner C, Wilson L, Soliman H, Lee MC, McLeod HL, Shah B, Donovan KA, Pabbathi S, Turney M, Binitie O, Healy C, Nieder M, Shaw PH, Galligan A, Letson GD, Stern M, Quinn GP, Davies S. Sink or Collaborate: How the Immersive Model Has Helped Address Typical Adolescent and Young Adult Barriers at a Single Institution and Kept the Adolescent and Young Adult Program Afloat. J Adolesc Young Adult Oncol. 2017 Dec;6(4):503-511. Pubmedid: 28777007. Pmcid: PMC5725631.
- Shah S, Hankenson J, Pabbathi S, Greene J, Nanjappa S. Clostridium tertium in neutropenic patients: case series at a cancer institute. Int J Infect Dis. 2016 Oct;51:44-46. Pubmedid: 27575937.
- Shah S, Nanjappa S, Pabbathi S, Greene J. Clostridium septicum Case Series: A 5-Year Experience at a Cancer Center. Infect Dis Clin Prac. 2016 Mar;24(2):72-75.
- Nanjappa S, DeClue C, Gajanan G, Pabbathi S, Toloza E, Greene J. Pneumonectomy Complicated by Bronchopleural Fistula and Empyema: A Case Report and Review of Literature. Infect Dis Clin Prac. 2016 Mar;24(2):79-82.
- Ahmed A, Yacoub AT, Ponnuru A, Pabbathi S, Nanjappa S, Vincent AL, Greene J. Tonsillectomy for this 35-year-old patient?. J Fam Practice. 2016 Jul;65(7):474-476. Pubmedid: 27565100.
- Nanjappa S, Shah S, Pabbathi S. Clostridium septicum Gas Gangrene in Colon Cancer: Importance of Early Diagnosis. Case Rep Infect Dis. 2016 Jan;2015:694247. Pubmedid: 26793397. Pmcid: PMC4697071.
- Bromberg DJ, Valenzuela M, Nanjappa S, Pabbathi S. Hyperuricemia in 2 Patients Receiving Palbociclib for Breast Cancer. Cancer Control. 2016 Jan;23(1):59-60. Pubmedid: 27009458.