Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Find a Doctor
Rutika Mehta, MD, MPH
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Anal Cancer, Colon Cancer, Colorectal Cancer , Esophageal Cancer , Gallbladder Cancer , Liver Cancer , Pancreatic Cancer , Small Intestine Cancer , Stomach (Gastric) Cancer
Dr. Mehta received her MD degree from Topiwala National Medical College, Mumbai, India. She received a Master of Science in Public Health in Epidemiology at St. Louis University School of Public Health at Indiana University, followed by a Master of Public Health in Epidemiology at Purdue University, Indianapolis Indiana. Dr. Mehta also completed a one-year Research Fellowship in Pathology at Indiana University School of Medicine, Translational Genomics Core. She completed her Internal Medicine Residency at Johns Hopkins University/Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, Maryland. Dr. Mehta recently completed a Hematology/Oncology Fellowship at the University of Buffalo, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York. Dr. Mehta’s clinical interests are a spectrum of gastrointestinal cancers including esophageal, gastric, hepato-biliary, pancreatic and colorectal cancers, both early stages and advanced stages. Dr. Mehta’s research interests are primarily esophageal/gastric cancers and colon cancer. She is interested in bringing basic research to the clinic by developing innovative clinical trials for patients.
Education & Training
- Internal Medicine
- University of Buffalo/Roswell Park Cancer Institute - Hematology Oncology
- Johns Hopkins University/Sinai Hospital of Baltimore - Internal Medicine
- Topiwala National Medical College, Mumbai, IndiaMBBS
CLINICAL TRIAL 19883
Phase 2 Study of ZW25 Plus First-line Combination Chemotherapy in HER2-Expressing Gastroesophageal Adenocarcinoma (GEA)
Condition: Gastrointestinal Tumor
Intervention: 5-fluorouracil (); Oxaliplatin (); ZW25 (); eloxatin (Oxaliplatin); leucovorin ()
CLINICAL TRIAL 20166
A Phase II Study Evaluating Safety and Efficacy of Niraparib in Patients with Previously Treated Homologous Recombination (HR) Defective or Loss of Heterozygosity (LOH) high Metastatic Esophageal/Gastroesophageal Junction/Proximal Gastric Adenocarcinoma
Condition: Gastrointestinal Tumor
Intervention: Niraparib ()
- Parsee AA, Thomas KL, Ghayouri M, Mehta R, Latifi K, Sweeney J, Jeong D, Ahmed A. Rare Abdominal Wall Metastasis following Curative Resection of Gastric Cancer: What Can Be Learned from the Use of Percutaneous Catheters?. Case Rep Oncol Med. 2020 May.2020:3738798. Pubmedid: 32509367. Pmcid: PMC7244962.
- Song EY, Frakes JM, Extermann M, Klocksieben F, Mehta R, Saeed S, Hoffe SE, Pimiento JM. Clinical Factors and Outcomes of Octogenarians Receiving Curative Surgery for Esophageal Cancer. J Surg Res. 2020 Jul.251:100-106. Pubmedid: 32114211.
- Bhutani MS, Klapman JB, Tuli R, El-Haddad G, Hoffe S, Wong FCL, Chasen B, Fogelman DR, Lo SK, Nissen NN, Hendifar AE, Varadhachary G, Katz MHG, Erwin WD, Koay EJ, Tamm EP, Singh BS, Mehta R, Wolff RA, Soman A, Cazacu IM, Herman JM. An open-label, single-arm pilot study of EUS-guided brachytherapy with phosphorus-32 microparticles in combination with gemcitabine +/- nab-paclitaxel in unresectable locally advanced pancreatic cancer (OncoPaC-1): Technical details and study protocol. Endosc Ultrasound. 2020 Jan.9(1):24-30. Pubmedid: 31670288. Pmcid: PMC7038730.
- Mehta R, Kommalapati A, Kim RD. The Impact of Ramucirumab Treatment on Survival and Quality of Life in Patients with Gastric Cancer. Cancer Manag Res. 2020 Jan.12:51-57. Pubmedid: 32021422. Pmcid: PMC6954857.
- Parsee AA, McDonald JA, Jiang K, Latifi K, Mehta R, Frakes JM, Pimiento JM, Hoffe SE. Radiation-induced hepatitis masquerading as metastatic disease: the importance of correlating diagnostic imaging with treatment planning. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2020 Feb.11(1):133-138. Pubmedid: 32175116. Pmcid: PMC7052759.
- Song EY, Venkat P, Fradley M, Frakes JM, Klocksieben F, Fontaine J, Mehta R, Saeed S, Hoffe SE, Pimiento JM. Clinical factors associated with the development of postoperative atrial fibrillation in esophageal cancer patients receiving multimodality therapy before surgery. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2020 Feb.11(1):68-75. Pubmedid: 32175107. Pmcid: PMC7052762.
- Balbona J, Chen L, Malafa MP, Hodul PJ, Dineen SP, Mehta R, Mhaskar RS, Pimiento JM. Outcomes of Gastric Resection in the Establishment of a Comprehensive Oncologic Robotic Program. J Surg Res. 2020 Aug.252:30-36. Pubmedid: 32222591.
- Nelson RS, Mehta RJ, McLeod HL, Walko CM. Prioritization of Therapy Options for a Patient With High Tumor Mutation Burden and Microsatellite Instability but No Clinical Benefit From Immunotherapy. JCO Precis Oncol. 2019 Oct.3. Pubmedid: 32923851. Pmcid: PMC7446362.
- Saeed SM, Fontaine JP, Dam AN, Hoffe SE, Cameron M, Frakes J, Mehta R, Gurd E, Pimiento JM. Is Preoperative G-Tube Use Safe for Esophageal Cancer Patients?. J Am Coll Nutr. 2019 Aug.39(4):301-306. Pubmedid: 31397638.
- Mehta R, Almhanna K. Predictive markers in gastric cancer immunotherapy treatment-are we there yet?. Transl Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019.4:4. Pubmedid: 30854491. Pmcid: PMC6378244.
- Mehta R, Shah A, Almhanna K. Pembrolizumab for the treatment of patients with recurrent locally advanced or metastatic gastric or gastroesophageal junction cancer: an evidence-based review of place in therapy. Onco Targets Ther. 2018 Oct.11:6525-6537. Pubmedid: 30323626. Pmcid: PMC6177372.
- Jasra S, Opyrchal M, Norton L, Mehta R. A Rare Case of S310F Somatic ERBB2 Mutation in a HER2-Nonamplified Breast Cancer. Clin Breast Cancer. 2017 Feb;17(1):e37-e41. Pubmedid: 27665021.
- Miller K, Mehta R, Abraham J, Opneja A, Jain RK. Patterns of Long-term Cancer Survivorship Care in a National Cancer Institute-Designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. Am J Clin Oncol. 2017 Dec;40(6):639-643. Pubmedid: 26359697.
- Miller KD, Pandey M, Jain R, Mehta R. Cancer Survivorship and Models of Survivorship Care: A Review. Am J Clin Oncol. 2015 Dec;38(6):627-633. Pubmedid: 25635609.
- Gökmen-Polar Y, Goswami CP, Toroni RA, Sanders KL, Mehta R, Sirimalle U, Tanasa B, Shen C, Li L, Ivan M, Badve S, Sledge GW. Gene Expression Analysis Reveals Distinct Pathways of Resistance to Bevacizumab in Xenograft Models of Human ER-Positive Breast Cancer. J Cancer. 2014 Aug;5(8):633-645. Pubmedid: 25157274. Pmcid: PMC4142325.
- Vladislav T, Jain RK, Alvarez R, Mehta RJ, Gökmen-Polar Y, Kesler KA, Henley JD, Loehrer PJ, Badve S. Extrathoracic metastases of thymic origin: a review of 35 cases. Mod Pathol. 2012 Mar;25(3):370-377. Pubmedid: 22080058.
- Mehta RJ, Jain RK, Leung S, Choo J, Nielsen T, Huntsman D, Nakshatri H, Badve S. FOXA1 is an independent prognostic marker for ER-positive breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012 Feb;131(3):881-890. Pubmedid: 21503684.
- Gökmen-Polar Y, Liu Y, Toroni RA, Sanders KL, Mehta R, Badve S, Rommel C, Sledge GW. Investigational drug MLN0128, a novel TORC1/2 inhibitor, demonstrates potent oral antitumor activity in human breast cancer xenograft models. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012 Dec;136(3):673-682. Pubmedid: 23085766.
- Mehta R, Jain RK, Badve S. Personalized medicine: the road ahead. Clin Breast Cancer. 2011 Mar;11(1):20-26. Pubmedid: 21421518.
- Patel JB, Appaiah HN, Burnett RM, Bhat-Nakshatri P, Wang G, Mehta R, Badve S, Thomson MJ, Hammond S, Steeg P, Liu Y, Nakshatri H. Control of EVI-1 oncogene expression in metastatic breast cancer cells through microRNA miR-22. Oncogene. 2011 Mar;30(11):1290-1301. Pubmedid: 21057539.
- Jain RK, Mehta R, Dimitrov R, Larsson LG, Musto PM, Hodges KB, Ulbright TM, Hattab EM, Agaram N, Idrees MT, Badve S. Atypical ductal hyperplasia: interobserver and intraobserver variability. Mod Pathol. 2011 Jul;24(7):917-923. Pubmedid: 21532546.
- Johnson EO, Chang KH, de Pablo Y, Ghosh S, Mehta R, Badve S, Shah K. PHLDA1 is a crucial negative regulator and effector of Aurora A kinase in breast cancer. J Cell Sci. 2011 Aug;124(Pt 16):2711-2722. Pubmedid: 21807936.
- Jain RK, Mehta RJ, Nakshatri H, Idrees MT, Badve SS. High-level expression of forkhead-box protein A1 in metastatic prostate cancer. Histopathology. 2011 Apr;58(5):766-772. Pubmedid: 21401706.
- Appaiah H, Bhat-Nakshatri P, Mehta R, Thorat M, Badve S, Nakshatri H. ITF2 is a target of CXCR4 in MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells and is associated with reduced survival in estrogen receptor-negative breast cancer. Cancer Biol Ther. 2010 Sep;10(6):600-614. Pubmedid: 20603605. Pmcid: PMC3040950.
- McCune K, Mehta R, Thorat MA, Badve S, Nakshatri H. Loss of ERα and FOXA1 expression in a progression model of luminal type breast cancer: insights from PyMT transgenic mouse model. Oncol Rep. 2010 Nov;24(5):1233-1239. Pubmedid: 20878115. Pmcid: PMC2948410.
- Gökmen-Polar Y, Mehta R, Tuzmen S, Mousses S, Thorat MA, Sanders KL, Turbin D, Leung S, Huntsman DG, Sledge GW, Badve S. Differential subcellular expression of protein kinase C betaII in breast cancer: correlation with breast cancer subtypes. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010 Nov;124(2):327-335. Pubmedid: 20099025.
- Geyer FC, Lambros MB, Natrajan R, Mehta R, Mackay A, Savage K, Parry S, Ashworth A, Badve S, Reis-Filho JS. Genomic and immunohistochemical analysis of adenosquamous carcinoma of the breast. Mod Pathol. 2010 Jul.23(7):951-960. Pubmedid: 20453835.
- Jain RK, Mehta RJ, Henley JD, Kesler KA, Loehrer PJ, Badve S. WHO types A and AB thymomas: not always benign. Mod Pathol. 2010 Dec;23(12):1641-1649. Pubmedid: 20834239.
- Jain RK, Mehta R, Badve S. Conjunctival squamous cell carcinoma due to ocular prostheses: a case report and review of literature. Pathol Oncol Res. 2010 Dec;16(4):609-612. Pubmedid: 20376710.
- Mehta R, Jain RK, Sneige N, Badve S, Resetkova E. Expression of high-molecular-weight cytokeratin (34betaE12) is an independent predictor of disease-free survival in patients with triple-negative tumours of the breast. J Clin Pathol. 2010 Aug;63(8):744-747. Pubmedid: 20702478.
- Resetkova E, Reis-Filho JS, Jain RK, Mehta R, Thorat MA, Nakshatri H, Badve S. Prognostic impact of ALDH1 in breast cancer: a story of stem cells and tumor microenvironment. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010 Aug.123(1):97-108. Pubmedid: 19911270.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.