Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Find a Doctor
Cancer Focus: Breast Cancer, Cervical Cancer, Ductal Carcinoma In Situ , Endometrial (Uterine) Cancer , Inflammatory Breast Cancer , Invasive Ductal Carcinoma , Kidney (Renal Cell) Cancer , MDS, Triple Negative Breast Cancer , Vaginal Cancer , Vulvar Cancer
Dr. Roohi Ismail-Khan is a medical oncologist and provides care for cancer patients in the Cardio-Oncology and Survivorship Programs. She has an interest in Women’s Health and has served more than 10 years taking care of Breast Cancer patients and has now joined the GYN program at Moffitt Cancer Center. Recently, she has concentrated her clinical efforts to help patients with cancer who also have high risk cardiovascular disease. She works closely with Cardiology in helping patients balance the treatment for their cancer and their co-existing CV disease. She serves as the co-director of the new Cardio-Oncology Program. She completed her Internal Medicine Residency at the University of South Florida and served as chief resident in her final year. She completed her Medical Oncology Fellowship at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and completed her MS in Clinical Research during her fellowship. Her clinical focus and research is focused upon identifying high risk patient cohorts and minimizing cardiovascular side effects in patients receiving cardio-toxic therapy. Dr. Ismail-Khan is also an active teacher and mentor for USF medical students, Internal Medical residents, and Medical Oncology Fellows.
Education & Training
- Medical Oncology
- Internal Medicine
- University of South Florida, Tampa, FL - Medical Oncology
- University of South Florida, Tampa, FL - Internal Medicine
- St. George's University of Medicine, Grenada, WIMD
Start Year: 2011 End Year: Top Oncologists in Tampa, FL Award, Sponsor: International Association of Oncologists
Start Year: 2010 End Year: Nomination for "Physician of the Year" Award, Sponsor:
- Dent SF, Kikuchi R, Kondapalli L, Ismail-Khan R, Brezden-Masley C, Barac A, Fradley M. Optimizing Cardiovascular Health in Patients With Cancer: A Practical Review of Risk Assessment, Monitoring, and Prevention of Cancer Treatment-Related Cardiovascular Toxicity. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book. 2020 Mar.40:1-15. Pubmedid: 32213102.
- Boac BM, Abbasi F, Ismail-Khan R, Xiong Y, Siddique A, Park H, Han M, Saeed-Vafa D, Soliman H, Henry B, Pena MJ, McClung EC, Robertson SE, Todd SL, Lopez A, Sun W, Apuri S, Lancaster JM, Berglund AE, Magliocco AM, Marchion DC. Expression of the BAD pathway is a marker of triple-negative status and poor outcome. Sci Rep. 2019 Nov.9(1):17496. Pubmedid: 31767884. Pmcid: PMC6877530.
- Park JY, Lengacher CA, Reich RR, Alinat CB, Ramesar S, Le A, Paterson CL, Pleasant ML, Park HY, Kiluk J, Han H, Ismail-Khan R, Kip KE. Translational genomic research: the role of genetic polymorphisms in MBSR program among breast cancer survivors (MBSR[BC]). Transl Behav Med. 2019 Jul.9(4):693-702. Pubmedid: 30137607. Pmcid: PMC7184864.
- Shafique M, Ismail-Khan R, Extermann M, Sullivan D, Goodridge D, Boulware D, Hogue D, Soliman H, Khong H, Han HS. A Phase II Trial of Selinexor (KPT-330) for Metastatic Triple-Negative Breast Cancer. Oncologist. 2019 Jul.24(7):887-e416. Pubmedid: 30996012. Pmcid: PMC6656474.
- Alvi RM, Frigault MJ, Fradley MG, Jain MD, Mahmood SS, Awadalla M, Lee DH, Zlotoff DA, Zhang L, Drobni ZD, Hassan MZO, Bassily E, Rhea I, Ismail-Khan R, Mulligan CP, Banerji D, Lazaryan A, Shah BD, Rokicki A, Raje N, Chavez JC, Abramson J, Locke FL, Neilan TG. Cardiovascular Events Among Adults Treated With Chimeric Antigen Receptor T-Cells (CAR-T). J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019 Dec.74(25):3099-3108. Pubmedid: 31856966. Pmcid: PMC6938409.
- Bardia A, Parton M, Kümmel S, Estévez LG, Huang CS, Cortés J, Ruiz-Borrego M, Telli ML, Martin-Martorell P, López R, Beck JT, Ismail-Khan R, Chen SC, Hurvitz SA, Mayer IA, Carreon D, Cameron S, Liao S, Baselga J, Kim SB. Paclitaxel With Inhibitor of Apoptosis Antagonist, LCL161, for Localized Triple-Negative Breast Cancer, Prospectively Stratified by Gene Signature in a Biomarker-Driven Neoadjuvant Trial. J Clin Oncol. 2018 Sep.JCO2017748392. Pubmedid: 30235087.
- Soliman H, Khambati F, Han HS, Ismail-Khan R, Bui MM, Sullivan DM, Antonia S. A phase-1/2 study of adenovirus-p53 transduced dendritic cell vaccine in combination with indoximod in metastatic solid tumors and invasive breast cancer. Oncotarget. 2018 Feb.9(11):10110-10117. Pubmedid: 29515795. Pmcid: PMC5839376.
- Fradley MG, Brown AC, Shields B, Viganego F, Damrongwatanasuk R, Patel AA, Hartlage G, Roper N, Jaunese J, Roy L, Ismail-Khan R. Developing a Comprehensive Cardio-Oncology Program at a Cancer Institute: The Moffitt Cancer Center Experience. Oncol Rev. 2017 Jun.11(2):340. Pubmedid: 28781723. Pmcid: PMC5523022.
- Reich RR, Lengacher CA, Alinat CB, Kip KE, Paterson C, Ramesar S, Han HS, Ismail-Khan R, Johnson-Mallard V, Moscoso M, Budhrani-Shani P, Shivers S, Cox CE, Goodman M, Park J. Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in Post-treatment Breast Cancer Patients: Immediate and Sustained Effects Across Multiple Symptom Clusters. J Pain Symptom Manag. 2017 Jan;53(1):85-95. Pubmedid: 27720794.
- Sajjad M, Fradley M, Sun W, Kim J, Zhao X, Pal T, Ismail-Khan R. An Exploratory Study to Determine Whether BRCA1 and BRCA2 Mutation Carriers Have Higher Risk of Cardiac Toxicity. Genes (Basel). 2017 Feb.8(2). Pubmedid: 28157161. Pmcid: PMC5333048.
- Fradley MG, Viganego F, Kip K, Martin A, Patel AA, Ismail-Khan R, Chae S, Herweg B, Labovitz A. Rates and risk of arrhythmias in cancer survivors with chemotherapy-induced cardiomyopathy compared with patients with other cardiomyopathies. Open Heart. 2017 Dec.4(2):e000701. Pubmedid: 29344369. Pmcid: PMC5761288.
- Soliman HH, Minton SE, Han HS, Ismail-Khan R, Neuger A, Khambati F, Noyes D, Lush R, Chiappori AA, Roberts JD, Link C, Vahanian NN, Mautino M, Streicher H, Sullivan DM, Antonia SJ. A phase I study of indoximod in patients with advanced malignancies. Oncotarget. 2016 Apr;7(16):22928-22938. Pubmedid: 27008709. Pmcid: PMC5008412.
- Rosa M, Han HS, Ismail-Khan R, Allam-Nandyala P, Bui MM. Beta-catenin expression patterns in matched pre- and post-neoadjuvant chemotherapy-resistant breast cancer. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2015 Dec;45(1):10-16. Pubmedid: 25696004.
- Soliman HH, Jackson E, Neuger T, Dees EC, Harvey RD, Han H, Ismail-Khan R, Minton S, Vahanian NN, Link C, Sullivan DM, Antonia S. A first in man phase I trial of the oral immunomodulator, indoximod, combined with docetaxel in patients with metastatic solid tumors. Oncotarget. 2014 Sep;5(18):8136-8146. Pubmedid: 25327557. Pmcid: PMC4226672.
- Williams M, Eatrides J, Kim J, Talwar H, Esposito N, Szabunio M, Ismail-Khan R, Kiluk J, Lee M, Laronga C, Khakpour N. Comparison of breast magnetic resonance imaging clinical tumor size with pathologic tumor size in patients status post-neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Am J Surg. 2013 Oct;206(4):567-573. Pubmedid: 23809673.
- Yardley DA, Ismail-Khan RR, Melichar B, Lichinitser M, Munster PN, Klein PM, Cruickshank S, Miller KD, Lee MJ, Trepel JB. Randomized phase II, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of exemestane with or without entinostat in postmenopausal women with locally recurrent or metastatic estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer progressing on treatment with a nonsteroidal aromata. J Clin Oncol. 2013 Jun;31(17):2128-2135. Pubmedid: 23650416. Pmcid: PMC4881332.
- Donovan KA, Boyington AR, Ismail-Khan R, Wyman JF. Urinary symptoms in breast cancer: a systematic review. Cancer. 2012 Feb;118(3):582-593. Pubmedid: 21751193. Pmcid: PMC3193898.
- Munster PN, Moore AP, Ismail-Khan R, Cox CE, Lacevic M, Gross-King M, Xu P, Carter WB, Minton SE. Randomized trial using gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist triptorelin for the preservation of ovarian function during (neo)adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2012 Feb;30(5):533-538. Pubmedid: 22231041. Pmcid: PMC3295555.
- Bardhan P, Bui MM, Minton S, Loftus L, Carter WB, Laronga C, Ismail-Khan R. HER2-positive male breast cancer with thyroid cancer: an institutional report and review of literature. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2012;42(2):135-139. Pubmedid: 22585608.
- Munster PN, Thurn KT, Thomas S, Raha P, Lacevic M, Miller A, Melisko M, Ismail-Khan R, Rugo H, Moasser M, Minton SE. A phase II study of the histone deacetylase inhibitor vorinostat combined with tamoxifen for the treatment of patients with hormone therapy-resistant breast cancer. Brit J Cancer. 2011 Jun;104(12):1828-1835. Pubmedid: 21559012. Pmcid: PMC3111195.
- Ismail-Khan R, Bui MM. A review of triple-negative breast cancer. Cancer Control. 2010 Jul;17(3):173-176. Pubmedid: 20664514.
- Simon GR, Extermann M, Chiappori A, Williams CC, Begum M, Kapoor R, Haura EB, Ismail-Khan R, Schell MJ, Antonia SJ, Bepler G. Phase 2 trial of docetaxel and gefitinib in the first-line treatment of patients with advanced nonsmall-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) who are 70 years of age or older. Cancer. 2008 May;112(9):2021-2029. Pubmedid: 18300255.
- Simon GR, Ismail-Khan R, Bepler G. Nuclear excision repair-based personalized therapy for non-small cell lung cancer: from hypothesis to reality. Int J Biochem Cell B. 2007 Oct.39(7-8):1318-1328. Pubmedid: 17600754. Pmcid: PMC3167070.
- Ismail-Khan R, Robinson L, Williams CC J, Garrett C, Bepler G, Simon G. Malignant pleural mesothelioma: a comprehensive review. Cancer Control. 2006 Oct;13(4):255-263. Pubmedid: 17075562.
- Khan MA, Andrews S, Ismail-Khan R, Munster PN, Brem S, King J, Reintgen DS, Sondak VK, Daud AI. Overall and progression-free survival in metastatic melanoma: analysis of a single-institution database. Cancer Control. 2006 Jul;13(3):211-217. Pubmedid: 16885917.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.