Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Find a Doctor
Michael Nieder, MD
Specialty: Blood and Marrow Transplant and Cellular Immunotherapy
Program: Blood and Marrow Transplant and Cellular Immunotherapy
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Dr. Michael Nieder is a Senior Member of the Blood and Marrow Transplant Department at Moffitt Cancer Center and Professor of Oncologic Sciences at the University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine. He is also the Blood and Marrow Transplant Program Fellowship Director and the Inpatient Medical Director. Dr. Nieder’s research interests include toxicity reduction and supportive care improvements for patients undergoing transplantation. Dr. Nieder is currently studying the intestinal microbiome in patients undergoing blood and marrow transplantation and is Principle Investigator of a nationally funded trial using probiotics in patients undergoing allogeneic transplantation. Dr. Nieder has many years of experience in bone marrow transplantation of patients with sickle cell anemia. We are currently seeing adult patients with sickle cell disease and will be the first center in Florida to perform these transplants on these patients. Dr. Nieder has used reduced-intensity transplant in adults and children for many years. Dr. Nieder received his medical degree from the University of Illinois College of Medicine-Chicago and served a residency in pediatrics, followed by a fellowship in pediatric hematology/oncology at The Children’s Memorial Hospital-Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago. Before joining Moffitt in 2012, Dr. Nieder was Medical Director of the Blood and Marrow Transplant Program at All Children’s Hospital in St. Petersburg, FL. He was formerly Vice Chairman of Pediatrics and Medical Director of Blood and Marrow Transplantation at Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital in Cleveland, OH, as well as an Associate Professor of pediatrics, medicine and oncology at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. Dr. Nieder is Vice Chair of the Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant Consortium, Vice Chair of the stem cell transplant discipline for the Children’s Oncology Group and a member of the Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy and the State of Florida Bone Marrow Transplant Advisory Committee. He has received numerous awards, including America’s Top Pediatricians, America’s Top Doctors for Cancer and Best Doctors in America.
Education & Training
- Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- The Children's Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University - Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- The Children's Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University - Research
- The Children's Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University College of Medicine - General Pediatrics
- The University of Illinois-Chicago College of MedicineMD
CLINICAL TRIAL 19203
Reduced Intensity Conditioning for Haploidentical Bone Marrow Transplantation in Patients with Symptomatic Sickle Cell Disease
Condition: Malignant Hematology
Intervention: Cellcept (Mycophenolate Mofetil); Hydroxyurea (Droxia); MESNA (); Mycophenolate Mofetil (); Radiotherapy (); Rapamune (Sirolimus); Rapamycin (Sirolimus); Sirolimus (); Thiotepa (Thioplex); Thymoglobulin (); cyclophosphamide (); cytoxan (cyclophosphamide); fludarabine (Fludarabine phosphate)
- Bhuta R, Nieder M, Jubelirer T, Ladas EJ. The Gut Microbiome and Pediatric Cancer: Current Research and Gaps in Knowledge. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 2019 Sep.2019(54):169-173. Pubmedid: 31532533.
- Fisher BT, Zaoutis T, Dvorak CC, Nieder M, Zerr D, Wingard JR, Callahan C, Villaluna D, Chen L, Dang H, Esbenshade AJ, Alexander S, Wiley JM, Sung L. Effect of Caspofungin vs Fluconazole Prophylaxis on Invasive Fungal Disease Among Children and Young Adults With Acute Myeloid Leukemia: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Jama. 2019 Nov.322(17):1673-1681. Pubmedid: 31688884. Pmcid: PMC6865545.
- Bhatt ST, Bednarski JJ, Berg J, Trinkaus K, Murray L, Hayashi R, Schulz G, Hente M, Grimley M, Chan KW, Kamani N, Jacobsohn D, Nieder M, Hale G, Yu L, Adams R, Dalal J, Pulsipher MA, Haut P, Chaudhury S, Davis J, Jaroscak J, Andreansky M, Willert J, Shenoy S. Immune Reconstitution and Infection Patterns after Early Alemtuzumab and Reduced Intensity Transplantation for Nonmalignant Disorders in Pediatric Patients. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2019 Mar.25(3):556-561. Pubmedid: 30321596.
- Seelisch J, Sung L, Kelly MJ, Raybin JL, Beauchemin M, Dvorak CC, Kelly KP, Nieder ML, Noll RB, Thackray J, Ullrich NJ, Cabral S, Dupuis LL, Robinson PD. Identifying clinical practice guidelines for the supportive care of children with cancer: A report from the Children's Oncology Group. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2019 Jan.66(1):e27471. Pubmedid: 30259647. Pmcid: PMC6249051.
- Alexander S, Fisher BT, Gaur AH, Dvorak CC, Villa Luna D, Dang H, Chen L, Green M, Nieder ML, Fisher B, Bailey LC, Wiernikowski J, Sung L. Effect of Levofloxacin Prophylaxis on Bacteremia in Children With Acute Leukemia or Undergoing Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Jama. 2018 Sep.320(10):995-1004. Pubmedid: 30208456. Pmcid: PMC6143098.
- Pidala J, Beato F, Kim J, Betts B, Jim H, Sagatys E, Levine JE, Ferrara JL, Ozbek U, Ayala E, Davila M, Fernandez HF, Field T, Kharfan-Dabaja MA, Khaira D, Khimani F, Locke FL, Mishra A, Nieder M, Nishihori T, Perez L, Riches M, Anasetti C. IL-12/IL-23p40 neutralization blocks Th1/Th17 response after allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation. Haematologica. 2018 Mar;103(3):531-539. Pubmedid: 29242294. Pmcid: PMC5830373.
- Shenoy S, Walters MC, Ngwube A, Soni S, Jacobsohn D, Chaudhury S, Grimley M, Chan K, Haight A, Kasow KA, Parikh S, Andreansky M, Connelly J, Delgado D, Godder K, Hale G, Nieder M, Pulsipher MA, Trachtenberg F, Neufeld E, Kwiatkowski JL, Thompson AA. Unrelated Donor Transplantation in Children with Thalassemia using Reduced-Intensity Conditioning: The URTH Trial. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2018 Jun.24(6):1216-1222. Pubmedid: 29374585. Pmcid: PMC5993578.
- Betts BC, Pidala J, Kim J, Mishra A, Nishihori T, Perez L, Ochoa-Bayona JL, Khimani F, Walton K, Bookout R, Nieder M, Khaira DK, Davila M, Alsina M, Field T, Ayala E, Locke FL, Riches M, Kharfan-Dabaja M, Fernandez H, Anasetti C. IL-2 promotes early Treg reconstitution after allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation. Haematologica. 2017 May;102(5):948-957. Pubmedid: 28104702. Pmcid: PMC5477614.
- Khimani F, Kim J, Chen L, Dean E, Rizk V, Betts B, Nishihori T, Locke F, Mishra A, Perez L, Ayala E, Kharfan-Dabaja M, Nieder M, Fernandez H, Anasetti C, Pidala J. Predictors of overall survival among patients treated with sirolimus/tacrolimus vs methotrexate/tacrolimus for GvHD prevention. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2017 Jul;52(7):1003-1009. Pubmedid: 28368376.
- Treister N, Nieder M, Baggott C, Olson E, Chen L, Dang H, Krailo M, August A, Sung L. Caphosol for prevention of oral mucositis in pediatric myeloablative haematopoietic cell transplantation. Brit J Cancer. 2017 Jan;116(1):21-27. Pubmedid: 27875526. Pmcid: PMC5220147.
- Reed DR, Oshrine B, Pratt C, Fridgen O, Elstner C, Wilson L, Soliman H, Lee MC, McLeod HL, Shah B, Donovan KA, Pabbathi S, Turney M, Binitie O, Healy C, Nieder M, Shaw PH, Galligan A, Letson GD, Stern M, Quinn GP, Davies S. Sink or Collaborate: How the Immersive Model Has Helped Address Typical Adolescent and Young Adult Barriers at a Single Institution and Kept the Adolescent and Young Adult Program Afloat. J Adolesc Young Adult Oncol. 2017 Dec;6(4):503-511. Pubmedid: 28777007. Pmcid: PMC5725631.
- Orgel E, Genkinger JM, Aggarwal D, Sung L, Nieder M, Ladas EJ. Association of body mass index and survival in pediatric leukemia: a meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016 Mar.103(3):808-817. Pubmedid: 26864366. Pmcid: PMC6546230.
- Ladas EJ, Bhatia M, Chen L, Sandler E, Petrovic A, Berman DM, Hamblin F, Gates M, Hawks R, Sung L, Nieder M. The safety and feasibility of probiotics in children and adolescents undergoing hematopoietic cell transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2016 Feb;51(2):262-266. Pubmedid: 26569091.
- Horan JT, Haight A, Dioguardi JL, Brown C, Grizzle A, Shelman C, Kanter J, Hale G, Nieder M, Benton M, Kasow KA, Abraham A, Chiang KY. Using fludarabine to reduce exposure to alkylating agents in children with sickle cell disease receiving busulfan, cyclophosphamide, and antithymocyte globulin transplant conditioning: results of a dose de-escalation trial. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2015 May;21(5):900-905. Pubmedid: 25617808.
- Karlik JB, Kesavan A, Nieder ML, Hawks R, Jin Z, Bhatia M, Ladas EJ. Plasma citrulline as a biomarker for enterocyte integrity in pediatric blood and BMT. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2014 Mar;49(3):449-450. Pubmedid: 24185591.
- Kunter G, Perkins JB, Pidala J, Nishihori T, Kharfan-Dabaja MA, Field T, Fernandez H, Perez L, Locke F, Ayala E, Tomblyn M, Ochoa-Bayona JL, Betts B, Nieder M, Anasetti C. Pharmacokinetically-targeted BU and fludarabine as conditioning before allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation for adults with ALL in first remission. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2014 Jan;49(1):11-16. Pubmedid: 23995098.
- Felgenhauer JL, Nieder ML, Krailo MD, Bernstein ML, Henry DW, Malkin D, Baruchel S, Chuba PJ, Sailer SL, Brown K, Ranganathan S, Marina N. A pilot study of low-dose anti-angiogenic chemotherapy in combination with standard multiagent chemotherapy for patients with newly diagnosed metastatic Ewing sarcoma family of tumors: A Children's Oncology Group (COG) Phase II study NCT00061893. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2013 Mar;60(3):409-414. Pubmedid: 23065953. Pmcid: PMC4583823.
- Gore L, Trippett TM, Katzenstein HM, Boklan J, Narendran A, Smith A, Macy ME, Rolla K, Narasimhan N, Squillace RM, Turner CD, Haluska FG, Nieder M. A multicenter, first-in-pediatrics, phase 1, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic study of ridaforolimus in patients with refractory solid tumors. Clin Cancer Res. 2013 Jul;19(13):3649-3658. Pubmedid: 23659969.
- Grupp SA, Dvorak CC, Nieder ML, Levine JE, Wall DA, Langholz B, Pulsipher MA. Children's Oncology Group's 2013 blueprint for research: stem cell transplantation. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2013 06;60(6):1044-1047. Pubmedid: 23255402. Pmcid: PMC4064788.
- Sencer SF, Zhou T, Freedman LS, Ives JA, Chen Z, Wall D, Nieder ML, Grupp SA, Yu LC, Sahdev I, Jonas WB, Wallace JD, Oberbaum M. Traumeel S in preventing and treating mucositis in young patients undergoing SCT: a report of the Children's Oncology Group. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2012 Nov;47(11):1409-1414. Pubmedid: 22504933. Pmcid: PMC4008329.
- Pulsipher MA, Skinner R, McDonald GB, Hingorani S, Armenian SH, Cooke KR, Gracia C, Petryk A, Bhatia S, Bunin N, Nieder ML, Dvorak CC, Sung L, Sanders JE, Kurtzberg J, Baker KS. National Cancer Institute, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute/Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplantation Consortium First International Consensus Conference on late effects after pediatric hematopoietic cell transplantation: the need for pediatric-s. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2012 Mar;18(3):334-347. Pubmedid: 22248713. Pmcid: PMC3281504.
- Alexander S, Nieder M, Zerr DM, Fisher BT, Dvorak CC, Sung L. Prevention of bacterial infection in pediatric oncology: what do we know, what can we learn?. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2012 Jul;59(1):16-20. Pubmedid: 22102612. Pmcid: PMC4008322.
- Dvorak CC, Fisher BT, Sung L, Steinbach WJ, Nieder M, Alexander S, Zaoutis TE. Antifungal prophylaxis in pediatric hematology/oncology: new choices & new data. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2012 Jul;59(1):21-26. Pubmedid: 22102607. Pmcid: PMC4008331.
- Oliansky DM, Camitta B, Gaynon P, Nieder ML, Parsons SK, Pulsipher MA, Dillon H, Ratko TA, Wall D, McCarthy PL, Hahn T. The role of cytotoxic therapy with hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in the treatment of pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia: update of the 2005 evidence-based review. ASBMT Position Statement. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2012 Jul;18(7):979-981. Pubmedid: 22490784.
- Oliansky DM, Camitta B, Gaynon P, Nieder ML, Parsons SK, Pulsipher MA, Dillon H, Ratko TA, Wall D, McCarthy PL, Hahn T. Role of cytotoxic therapy with hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in the treatment of pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia: update of the 2005 evidence-based review. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2013 May;18(4):505-522. Pubmedid: 22209888.
- Baker KS, Bhatia S, Bunin N, Nieder M, Dvorak CC, Sung L, Sanders JE, Kurtzberg J, Pulsipher MA. NCI, NHLBI first international consensus conference on late effects after pediatric hematopoietic cell transplantation: state of the science, future directions. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2011 Oct;17(10):1424-1427. Pubmedid: 21723224. Pmcid: PMC3177012.
- Nieder ML, McDonald GB, Kida A, Hingorani S, Armenian SH, Cooke KR, Pulsipher MA, Baker KS. National Cancer Institute-National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute/pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant Consortium First International Consensus Conference on late effects after pediatric hematopoietic cell transplantation: long-term organ damage and dys. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2011 Nov;17(11):1573-1584. Pubmedid: 21963877. Pmcid: PMC3215762.
- Pulsipher MA, Horwitz EM, Haight AE, Kadota R, Chen AR, Frangoul H, Cooper LJ, Jacobsohn DA, Goyal RK, Mitchell D, Nieder ML, Yanik G, Cowan MJ, Soni S, Gardner S, Shenoy S, Taylor D, Cairo M, Schultz KR. Advancement of pediatric blood and marrow transplantation research in North America: priorities of the Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant Consortium. Biol Blood Marrow Tr. 2010 Sep;16(9):1212-1221. Pubmedid: 20079865. Pmcid: PMC2891395.
- Wall DA, Chan KW, Nieder ML, Hayashi RJ, Yeager AM, Kadota R, Przepiorka D, Mezzi K, Kletzel M. Safety, efficacy, and pharmacokinetics of intravenous busulfan in children undergoing allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2010 Feb;54(2):291-298. Pubmedid: 19743300.
- Chou AJ, Kleinerman ES, Krailo MD, Chen Z, Betcher DL, Healey JH, Conrad EU, Nieder ML, Weiner MA, Wells RJ, Womer RB, Meyers PA. Addition of muramyl tripeptide to chemotherapy for patients with newly diagnosed metastatic osteosarcoma: a report from the Children's Oncology Group. Cancer. 2009 Nov;115(22):5339-5348. Pubmedid: 19637348. Pmcid: PMC2783515.
- Vadaparampil S, Quinn G, King L, Wilson C, Nieder M. Barriers to fertility preservation among pediatric oncologists. Patient Educ Couns. 2008 Sep;72(3):402-410. Pubmedid: 18621502.
- Clayton H, Quinn G, Lee J, King L, Miree C, Nieder M, Vadaparampil S. Trends in clinical practice and nurses' attitudes about fertility preservation for pediatric patients with cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum. 2008 Mar;35(2):249-255. Pubmedid: 18321837.
- Meyers PA, Schwartz CL, Krailo MD, Healey JH, Bernstein ML, Betcher D, Ferguson WS, Gebhardt MC, Goorin AM, Harris M, Kleinerman E, Link MP, Nadel H, Nieder M, Siegal GP, Weiner MA, Wells RJ, Womer RB, Grier HE. Osteosarcoma: the addition of muramyl tripeptide to chemotherapy improves overall survival--a report from the Children's Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol. 2008 Feb;26(4):633-638. Pubmedid: 18235123.
- Anasetti C, Perkins J, Nieder M, Field T. Are matched unrelated donor transplants justified for AML in CR1?. Best Pract Res Clin Haematol. 2006;19(2):321-328. Pubmedid: 16516129.
- Aquino VM, Harvey AR, Garvin JH, Godder KT, Nieder ML, Adams RH, Jackson GB, Sandler ES. A double-blind randomized placebo-controlled study of oral glutamine in the prevention of mucositis in children undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: a pediatric blood and marrow transplant consortium study. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2005 Oct;36(7):611-616. Pubmedid: 16086046.
- Meyers PA, Schwartz CL, Krailo M, Kleinerman ES, Betcher D, Bernstein ML, Conrad E, Ferguson W, Gebhardt M, Goorin AM, Harris MB, Healey J, Huvos A, Link M, Montebello J, Nadel H, Nieder M, Sato J, Siegal G, Weiner M, Wells R, Wold L, Womer R, Grier H. Osteosarcoma: a randomized, prospective trial of the addition of ifosfamide and/or muramyl tripeptide to cisplatin, doxorubicin, and high-dose methotrexate. J Clin Oncol. 2005 Mar;23(9):2004-2011. Pubmedid: 15774791.
- Sherman AC, Simonton S, Latif U, Nieder ML, Adams RH, Mehta P. Psychosocial supportive care for children receiving stem cell transplantation: practice patterns across centers. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2004 Jul;34(2):169-174. Pubmedid: 15235578.
- Koç ON, Day J, Nieder M, Gerson SL, Lazarus HM, Krivit W. Allogeneic mesenchymal stem cell infusion for treatment of metachromatic leukodystrophy (MLD) and Hurler syndrome (MPS-IH). Bone Marrow Transplant. 2002 Aug;30(4):215-222. Pubmedid: 12203137.
- Pahys J, Fisher V, Carneval M, Yomtovian R, Sarode R, Nieder M. Successful large volume leukapheresis on a small infant allogeneic donor. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2000 Aug;26(3):339-341. Pubmedid: 10967576.
- Auletta JJ, O'Riordan MA, Nieder ML. Infections in children with cancer: a continued need for the comprehensive physical examination. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 1999 Nov;21(6):501-508. Pubmedid: 10598661.
- Rosario E, Cohen ML, Cohen AR, Nieder ML. Pathological case of the month. Intracranial immature teratoma. Arch Pediat Adol Med. 1999 Jun;153(6):649-650. Pubmedid: 10357310.
- Marx CM, Stein J, Tyler MK, Nieder ML, Shurin SB, Blumer JL. Ketamine-midazolam versus meperidine-midazolam for painful procedures in pediatric oncology patients. J Clin Oncol. 1997 Jan;15(1):94-102. Pubmedid: 8996129.
- Weintraub M, Adde MA, Venzon DJ, Shad AT, Horak ID, Neely JE, Seibel NL, Gootenberg J, Arndt C, Nieder ML, Magrath IT. Severe atypical neuropathy associated with administration of hematopoietic colony-stimulating factors and vincristine. J Clin Oncol. 1996 Mar;14(3):935-940. Pubmedid: 8622042.
- Magrath I, Adde M, Shad A, Venzon D, Seibel N, Gootenberg J, Neely J, Arndt C, Nieder M, Jaffe E, Wittes RA, Horak ID. Adults and children with small non-cleaved-cell lymphoma have a similar excellent outcome when treated with the same chemotherapy regimen. J Clin Oncol. 1996 Mar;14(3):925-934. Pubmedid: 8622041.
- Watterson J, Toogood I, Nieder M, Morse M, Frierdich S, Lee Y, Moertel CL, Priest JR. Excessive spinal cord toxicity from intensive central nervous system-directed therapies. Cancer. 1994 Dec;74(11):3034-3041. Pubmedid: 7954266.
- Nieder ML, Gauderer MW. Recent developments in the management of neuroblastoma. Prog Pediatr Surg. 1991.26:124-136. Pubmedid: 1904592.
- Cohn SL, Salwen H, Herst CV, Maurer HS, Nieder ML, Morgan ER, Rosen ST. Single copies of the N-myc oncogene in neuroblastomas from children presenting with the syndrome of opsoclonus-myoclonus. Cancer. 1988 Aug;62(4):723-726. Pubmedid: 3395955.
- Nieder ML. A medical education: only for the rich?. IMJ Ill Med J. 1981 Aug;160(2):108. Pubmedid: 6115843.
- Schneider EL, Kram D, Nakanishi Y, Monticone RE, Tice RR, Gilman BA, Nieder ML. The effect of aging on sister chromatid exchange. Mech Ageing Dev. 1979 Feb;9(3-4):303-311. Pubmedid: 374898.
- Vadaparampil S, Clayton H, Quinn G, King L, Nieder M, Wilson C. Pediatric oncology nurses' attitudes related to discussing fertility preservation with pediatric cancer patients and their families. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs. 24(5):255-263. Pubmedid: 17827491.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.