Find a Doctor
Krupal Patel, MD
Specialty: Head and Neck Surgery
Program: Head and Neck Oncology
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Basal Cell Carcinoma , Head and Neck Cancer , Melanoma , Merkel Cell Carcinoma , Oral Cavity or Throat Cancer , Skin Cancer (Nonmelanoma) , Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Throat Cancer, Thyroid Cancer , Tongue Cancer
Dr. Krupal Patel is an Assistant Member in the Department of Head and Neck–Endocrine Oncology. Dr. Patel received his MD degree at the College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan. He concurrently completed a Residency in the Department of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery, and a Master of Science degree in Surgery at Western University, London, Ontario, Canada. He was board-certified in Otolaryngology by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in Canada. He recently completed a Head and Neck Microvascular Reconstruction Fellowship at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus. Dr. Patel’s clinical interests include the management of oral cavity/oropharynx/larynx cancers, salivary gland neoplasms, thyroid cancers, reconstruction of melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer defects in the head and neck region, and sinonasal cancers. His clinical research interests focus on the development of transoral robotic surgery and improvement in microvascular reconstructive surgeries for head and neck cancers. Dr. Patel’s translational research focuses on developing biomarkers for use in genomic analyses that predict the impact of therapeutic interventions on clinical and quality-of-life outcomes.
Education & Training
- Ohio State University - Head and Neck Microvascular Reconstruction
- Western University, London, ON, Canada - Head and Neck Surgery
- University of Saskatchewan, SK, Canada - MD
- Patel KB, Low TH, Partridge A, Nichols AC, MacNeil SD, Yoo J, Fung K. Assessment of shoulder function following scapular free flap. Head Neck. 2019 Oct.42(2):224-229. Pubmedid: 31657104.
- Patel KB, Naik AN, Kang SY, Old MO. Aberrant Superficial Branch of the Radial Nerve-Radial Forearm Free Flap Considerations. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2019 Jun.7(6):e2191. Pubmedid: 31624666. Pmcid: PMC6635202.
- Mundi N, Prokopec SD, Ghasemi F, Warner A, Patel K, MacNeil D, Howlett C, Stecho W, Plantinga P, Pinto N, Ruicci KM, Khan MI, Han MW, Yoo J, Fung K, Sahovaler A, Palma DA, Winquist E, Mymryk JS, Barrett JW, Boutros PC, Nichols AC. Genomic and human papillomavirus profiling of an oral cancer cohort identifies TP53 as a predictor of overall survival. Cancers Head Neck. 2019 Dec.4:5. Pubmedid: 31844556. Pmcid: PMC6894507.
- Patel KB, Lin C, Kramer S, Fada C, Ozer E. Transoral robotic excision of laryngocele: Surgical considerations. Head Neck. 2019 Apr.41(4):1140-1143. Pubmedid: 30652374.
- Patel KB, Nichols AC, Fung K, Yoo J, MacNeil SD. Treatment of early stage Supraglottic squamous cell carcinoma: meta-analysis comparing primary surgery versus primary radiotherapy. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018 Mar;47(1):19. Pubmedid: 29506564. Pmcid: PMC5839014.
- Kang SY, Eskander A, Patel K, Teknos TN, Old MO. The unique and valuable soft tissue free flap in head and neck reconstruction: Lateral arm. Oral Oncol. 2018 Jul.82:100-107. Pubmedid: 29909883.
- van der Woerd B, Patel KB, Nichols AC, Fung K, Yoo J, MacNeil SD. Functional outcomes in early (T1/T2) supraglottic cancer: a systematic review. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018 Dec.47(1):76. Pubmedid: 30563567. Pmcid: PMC6299571.
- MacNeil SD, Patel K, Liu K, Shariff S, Yoo J, Nichols A, Fung K, Garg AX. Survival of patients with subglottic squamous cell carcinoma. Curr Oncol. 2018 Dec.25(6):e569-e575. Pubmedid: 30607125. Pmcid: PMC6291284.
- Pinto N, Black M, Patel K, Yoo J, Mymryk JS, Barrett JW, Nichols AC. Genomically driven precision medicine to improve outcomes in anaplastic thyroid cancer. J Oncol. 2014 Oct;2014:936285. Pubmedid: 25276134. Pmcid: PMC4170827.