Find a Doctor
Krupal Patel, MD, MSc, FRCS(C)
Cancer Focus: Basal Cell Carcinoma , Head and Neck Cancer , Melanoma , Merkel Cell Carcinoma , Oral Cavity or Throat Cancer , Skin Cancer (Nonmelanoma) , Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Throat Cancer, Thyroid Cancer , Tongue Cancer
Dr. Krupal Patel is an Assistant Member in the Department of Head and Neck–Endocrine Oncology. Dr. Patel received his MD degree at the College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan. He concurrently completed a Residency in the Department of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery, and a Master of Science degree in Surgery at Western University, London, Ontario, Canada. He is board-certified in Otolaryngology by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in Canada. He recently completed the Head and Neck Microvascular Reconstruction Fellowship at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus, Ohio. Dr. Patel is a member of the American Head and Neck Society and Disparities Committee at NRG. Dr. Patel’s clinical interests include the management of oral cavity/oropharynx/larynx cancers, salivary gland neoplasms, thyroid cancers, reconstruction of melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer defects in the head and neck region, and sinonasal cancers. His clinical research interests focus on the development of transoral robotic surgery and improvement in microvascular reconstructive surgeries for head and neck cancers. Dr. Patel’s translational research focuses on developing biomarkers for use in genomic analyses that predict the impact of therapeutic interventions on clinical and quality-of-life outcomes.
Education & Training
- Ohio State University - Head and Neck Microvascular Reconstruction
- Western University, London, ON, Canada - Head and Neck Surgery
- University of Saskatchewan, SK, Canada - MD
- Shi LL, McMullen C, Vorwald K, Nichols AC, MacNeil SD, Wadsworth JT, Chung CH, Wang X, Patel KB. Survival outcomes of patients with subglottic squamous cell carcinoma : a study of the National Cancer Database. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2021 Mar. Pubmedid: 33646344.
- Patel KB, Martin D, Zhao S, Kumar B, Carrau R, Ozer E, Agrawal A, Kang S, Rocco JW, Schuller D, Teknos T, Brock G, Old M. Impact of age and comorbidity on survival among patients with oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma. Head Neck. 2021 Jan.43(1):268-277. Pubmedid: 32996249.
- Pinto N, Prokopec SD, Ghasemi F, Meens J, Ruicci KM, Khan IM, Mundi N, Patel K, Han MW, Yoo J, Fung K, MacNeil D, Mymryk JS, Datti A, Barrett JW, Boutros PC, Ailles L, Nichols AC. Flavopiridol causes cell cycle inhibition and demonstrates anti-cancer activity in anaplastic thyroid cancer models. PLoS One. 2020 Sep.15(9):e0239315. Pubmedid: 32970704. Pmcid: PMC7514001.
- Kassirian S, Dzioba A, Hamel S, Patel K, Sahovaler A, Palma DA, Read N, Venkatesan V, Nichols AC, Yoo J, Fung K, Mendez A, MacNeil SD. Delay in diagnosis of patients with head-and-neck cancer in Canada: impact of patient and provider delay. Curr Oncol. 2020 Oct.27(5):e467-e477. Pubmedid: 33173386. Pmcid: PMC7606041.
- Mundi N, Ghasemi F, Zeng PYF, Prokopec SD, Patel K, Kim HAJ, Di Gravio E, MacNeil D, Khan MI, Han MW, Shaikh M, Mendez A, Yoo J, Fung K, Gameiro SF, Palma DA, Mymryk JS, Barrett JW, Boutros PC, Nichols AC. Sex disparities in head & neck cancer driver genes: An analysis of the TCGA dataset. Oral Oncol. 2020 May.104:104614. Pubmedid: 32146388.
- Vieira de Oliveira Silva S, Nabil A, Maza G, Shahein M, Vankoevering K, Patel KB, Prevedello D, Carrau R, Ozer E, Bertazo GS, Albonette Felicio T. Salvage Free Tissue Transfer for Clival Osteoradionecrosis After Repeat Proton Beam Therapy. World Neurosurg. 2020 Jun.138:485-490. Pubmedid: 32229304.
- Mroz EA, Patel KB, Rocco JW. Intratumor heterogeneity could inform the use and type of postoperative adjuvant therapy in patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer. 2020 Jan.126(9):1895-1904. Pubmedid: 32083741. Pmcid: PMC7160035.
- Patel KB, Low TH, Partridge A, Nichols AC, MacNeil SD, Yoo J, Fung K. Assessment of shoulder function following scapular free flap. Head Neck. 2020 Feb.42(2):224-229. Pubmedid: 31657104.
- Sorgini A, Kim HAJ, Zeng PYF, Shaikh MH, Mundi N, Ghasemi F, Di Gravio E, Khan H, MacNeil D, Khan MI, Mendez A, Yoo J, Fung K, Lang P, Palma DA, Mymryk JS, Barrett JW, Patel KB, Boutros PC, Nichols AC. Analysis of the TCGA Dataset Reveals that Subsites of Laryngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma are Molecularly Distinct. Cancers (Basel). 2020 Dec.13(1). Pubmedid: 33396315. Pmcid: PMC7794818.
- Koenigs MB, Lefranc-Torres A, Bonilla-Velez J, Patel KB, Hayes DN, Glomski K, Busse PM, Chan AW, Clark JR, Deschler DG, Emerick KS, Hammon RJ, Wirth LJ, Lin DT, Mroz EA, Faquin WC, Rocco JW. Association of Estrogen Receptor Alpha Expression With Survival in Oropharyngeal Cancer Following Chemoradiation Therapy. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2019 Sep.111(9):933-942. Pubmedid: 30715409. Pmcid: PMC6748818.
- Patel KB, Naik AN, Kang SY, Old MO. Aberrant Superficial Branch of the Radial Nerve-Radial Forearm Free Flap Considerations. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2019 Jun.7(6):e2191. Pubmedid: 31624666. Pmcid: PMC6635202.
- Mundi N, Patel KB, Yeh DH, Nichols AC. Closure of tracheocutaneous fistula using prefabricated conchal bowl cartilage and a supraclavicular flap. J Laryngol Otol. 2019 Jul.133(8):727-729. Pubmedid: 31284887.
- Mundi N, Prokopec SD, Ghasemi F, Warner A, Patel K, MacNeil D, Howlett C, Stecho W, Plantinga P, Pinto N, Ruicci KM, Khan MI, Han MW, Yoo J, Fung K, Sahovaler A, Palma DA, Winquist E, Mymryk JS, Barrett JW, Boutros PC, Nichols AC. Genomic and human papillomavirus profiling of an oral cancer cohort identifies TP53 as a predictor of overall survival. Cancers Head Neck. 2019 Dec.4:5. Pubmedid: 31844556. Pmcid: PMC6894507.
- Patel KB, Lin C, Kramer S, Fada C, Ozer E. Transoral robotic excision of laryngocele: Surgical considerations. Head Neck. 2019 Apr.41(4):1140-1143. Pubmedid: 30652374.
- Patel KB, Nichols AC, Fung K, Yoo J, MacNeil SD. Treatment of early stage Supraglottic squamous cell carcinoma: meta-analysis comparing primary surgery versus primary radiotherapy. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018 Mar.47(1):19. Pubmedid: 29506564. Pmcid: PMC5839014.
- Kang SY, Eskander A, Patel K, Teknos TN, Old MO. The unique and valuable soft tissue free flap in head and neck reconstruction: Lateral arm. Oral Oncol. 2018 Jul.82:100-107. Pubmedid: 29909883.
- van der Woerd B, Patel KB, Nichols AC, Fung K, Yoo J, MacNeil SD. Functional outcomes in early (T1/T2) supraglottic cancer: a systematic review. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018 Dec.47(1):76. Pubmedid: 30563567. Pmcid: PMC6299571.
- MacNeil SD, Patel K, Liu K, Shariff S, Yoo J, Nichols A, Fung K, Garg AX. Survival of patients with subglottic squamous cell carcinoma. Curr Oncol. 2018 Dec.25(6):e569-e575. Pubmedid: 30607125. Pmcid: PMC6291284.
- Pinto N, Black M, Patel K, Yoo J, Mymryk JS, Barrett JW, Nichols AC. Genomically driven precision medicine to improve outcomes in anaplastic thyroid cancer. J Oncol. 2014 Oct.2014:936285. Pubmedid: 25276134. Pmcid: PMC4170827.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.