Find a Doctor Search
Dr. Julie Hallanger-Johnson is an Associate Member in the Moffitt Cancer Center Endocrine Oncology Program, with the Department of Head and Neck-Endocrine Oncology. Dr. Hallanger-Johnson received her MD degree from the University of North Dakota School of Medicine. She completed an Internal Medicine Residency and Fellowship in Endocrinology and Metabolism at Mayo Clinic, Graduate School of Medicine in Rochester, MN. Most recently, Dr. Hallanger-Johnson was an Endocrinologist at Sanford Health System, Fargo, ND for 10 years where she became Chair of the Department of Endocrinology, and Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND. Dr. Hallanger-Johnson is a Clinical Educator Endocrinologist, with a particular interest in thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer. She has extensive experience in the diagnosis and evaluation of thyroid disease, and carries the Endocrine Certification in Neck Ultrasound (ECNU). Dr. Hallanger-Johnson is interested in the use of molecular markers and ultrasound information to guide decision-making in the evaluation of thyroid nodules, and the corresponding clinical outcomes research. She is also interested in systems improvement by creating timely and efficient pathways for patient care.
Education & Training
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
- Mayo Graduate School of Medicine - Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Mayo Graduate School of Medicine - Internal Medicine
- University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences - MD
If you believe you are eligible for one of these trials or studies, please call
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Thompson ZJ, Sharpe SC, Tarasova VD, Otto KJ, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Wadsworth JT, Wenig BM, Chung CH, Centeno BA, McIver B. Cancer Risk Associated with Nuclear Atypia in Cytologically Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Thyroid. 2018 Feb;28(2):210-219. Pubmedid: 29160163.
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Thompson ZJ, Leon ME, Otto KJ, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Wadsworth JT, Wenig BM, Chung CH, Centeno BA, McIver B. Cancer Risk Stratification of Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules: A Cytological Approach. Thyroid. 2017 Oct;27(10):1277-1284. Pubmedid: 28806881.
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Leon ME, Thompson ZJ, Ma Z, Chung CH, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Otto KJ, Rogers KD, Centeno B, McIver B. Evaluation of ThyroSeq v2 performance in thyroid nodules with indeterminate cytology. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2017 Mar;24(3):127-136. Pubmedid: 28104680.
- Reddi HV, Driscoll CB, Madde P, Milosevic D, Hurley RM, McDonough SJ, Hallanger-Johnson J, McIver B, Eberhardt NL. Redifferentiation and induction of tumor suppressors miR-122 and miR-375 by the PAX8/PPARγ fusion protein inhibits anaplastic thyroid cancer: a novel therapeutic strategy. Cancer Gene Ther. 2013 May;20(5):267-275. Pubmedid: 23598436.
- Khoo TK, Baker CH, Hallanger-Johnson J, Tom AM, Grant CS, Reading CC, Sebo TJ, Morris JC. Comparison of ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy with core-needle biopsy in the evaluation of thyroid nodules. Endocr Pract. 2008 May;14(4):426-431. Pubmedid: 18558594.
- Hallanger Johnson JE, Kearns AE, Doran PM, Khoo TK, Wermers RA. Fluoride-related bone disease associated with habitual tea consumption. Mayo Clin Proc. 2007 Jun;82(6):719-724. Pubmedid: 17550752.