Find a Doctor Search
Dr. Rasanen's clinical interests are in critical care and cardiopulmonary function in the perioperative period. His research interests include pulmonary acoustics including use of sound to monitor cardiopulmonary function in the critically ill and anesthetized patients and the effects of anesthesia and ventilator management on pulmonary function.
Education & Training
- Ohio State University College of Medicine - Critical Care
- University of Helsinki -
- University of South Florida College of Medicine -
- University of Helsinki - MD
If you believe you are eligible for one of these trials or studies, please call
- Räsänen J, Nemergut ME, Gavriely N. Effect of positive end-expiratory pressure on acoustic wave propagation in experimental porcine lung injury. Clin Physiol Funct Imaging. 2015 Mar;35(2):134-141. Pubmedid: 24528776.
- Rasanen J. Childhood Pneumonia Screener: a concept. Pneumonia (Nathan). 2015;6:iii. Pubmedid: 29725578. Pmcid: PMC5922333.
- Rasanen J, Nemergut ME, Gavriely N. Changes in breath sound power spectra during experimental oleic acid-induced lung injury in pigs. J Appl Physiol. 2014 Jan;116(1):61-66. Pubmedid: 24235104.
- Räsänen J, Nemergut ME, Gavriely N. Effect of PEEP on breath sound power spectra in experimental lung injury. Intensive Care Med Exp. 2014 Dec;2(1):25. Pubmedid: 26266922. Pmcid: PMC4512991.
- Downs JB, Robinson LA, Steighner ML, Thrush D, Reich RR, Räsänen JO. "Open lung ventilation optimizes pulmonary function during lung surgery". J Surg Res. 2014 Dec;192(2):242-249. Pubmedid: 25033701.
- Nemergut ME, Räsänen J, Downs JB. Postoperative supplemental oxygen and high intraoperative inspired oxygen: effect and cause?. Anesthesiology. 2013 Mar;118(3):756. Pubmedid: 23426215.
- Räsänen J, Gavriely N. Response of acoustic transmission to positive airway pressure therapy in experimental lung injury. Intensive Care Med. 2005 Oct;31(10):1434-1441. Pubmedid: 16155753.
- Räsänen J, Gavriely N. Detection of porcine oleic acid-induced acute lung injury using pulmonary acoustics. J Appl Physiol Respir Environ Exerc Physiol. 2002 Jul;93(1):51-57. Pubmedid: 12070185.
- Thrush DN, Turnage S, Räsänen J. Monitoring of ventilation on and off cardiopulmonary bypass: two standards or one?. Anesth Analg. 1996 Apr;82(4):883-884. Pubmedid: 8615518.
- Thrush DN, Steighner ML, Räsänen J, Vijayanagar R. Blood pressure after cardiopulmonary bypass: which technique is accurate?. J Cardiovasc Pharm. 1994 Jun;8(3):269-272. Pubmedid: 8061259.
- Putensen C, Rasanen J, Lopez F, Downs J. Effect of interfacing between spontaneous breathing and mechanical cycles on the ventilation-perfusion distribution in canine lung injury. Anesthesiology. 1994;81:921-930.
- Leon M, Rasanen J. Detection of esophageal intubation with neural network pattern recognition. Anesth Analg. 1994;78:548-553.
- Puhakka K, Rasanen J, Leijala M, Peltola K. Metabolic effect of corrective surgery in infants and children with congenital heart defects. Br J Anaesth. 1993;70:149-153.
- Mangar D, Connell G, Lessin J, Rasanen J. Catheter-induced pulmonary artery hemorrhage resulting from a pneumothorax. Can J Anaesth. 1993;40:1069-1072.
- Rasanen J, Leon M, Cane R. Adaption of pressure support ventilation to increasing ventilatory demand during experimental airway obstruction and acute lung injury. Crit Care Med. 1993;21:562-566.
- Rasanen J. Supply-dependent oxygen consumption and mixed venous oximetry during isovolemic hemodilution in pigs. Chest. 1992;101:1121-1124.
- Rasanen J, Puhakka K, Leijala M. Spontaneous breathing and total body oxygen consumption in children recovering from open-heart surgery. Chest. 1992;101:662-667.
- Rasanen J. Continuous breathing circuit flow and tracheal tube cuff leak: sources of error during indirect calorimetry. Crit Care Med. 1992;20:1335-1340.