Find a Doctor
Cancer Types Treated: Adrenal Carcinoma, Neuroendocrine Tumor , Thyroid Cancer
Dr. John Tourtelot is a specialist in the endocrinology program at Moffitt Cancer Center, and he is board certified in Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism. Dr. Tourtelot’s research interests include tumors of the endocrine system with a focus on thyroid cancer. A graduate of the University of Miami School of Medicine. Dr. Tourtelot completed a residency in internal medicine at Naval Hospital in Oakland, CA., and a fellowship in endocrinology and metabolism at National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, MD. He also pursued a one-year clinical research program at the National Institutes of Health. Prior to joining Moffitt in 2009, Dr. Tourtelot was on the endocrinology consultation service at Bay Pines Veteran’s Hospital and was an affiliate assistant professor of medicine at the University of South Florida Department of Family Practice. From 1995-2004, he was an assistant professor of medicine at the Uniformed Services, University of the Health Sciences., the nation’s only federal health sciences university, operated by the U.S. Department of Defense, in Bethesda, MD. Dr. Tourtelot has received several U.S. Navy and Marine Corps commendation medals, including the U.S. Navy Meritorious Service Award in 2003. Dr. Tourtelot is a fellow of the American College of Endocrinology and the American College of Physicians. He has been widely published in peer-reviewed journals.
Education & Training
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
- Naval Hospital, Oakland - Internal Medicine
- University of Miami, School of Medicine - MD
- Valderrabano P, Klippenstein DL, Tourtelot JB, Ma Z, Thompson ZJ, Lilienfeld HS, McIver B. New American Thyroid Association Sonographic Patterns for Thyroid Nodules Perform Well in Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma: Institutional Experience, Systematic Review, and Meta-Analysis. Thyroid. 2016 Aug;26(8):1093-1100. Pubmedid: 27267210.
- Ashouri K, Mohseni S, Tourtelot J, Sharma P, Spiess PE. Implications of Von Hippel-Lindau Syndrome and Renal Cell Carcinoma. J Kidney Cancer VHL. 2015;2(4):163-173. Pubmedid: 28326271. Pmcid: PMC5345519.
- Tourtelot JB, Vesely DL. Pituitary tumor with gigantism, acromegaly and preclinical Cushing's disease diagnosed from the 10th row. Am J Med Sci. 2013 Aug;346(2):169-171. Pubmedid: 23462247.
- Carter WB, Tourtelot JB, Savell JG, Lilienfeld H. New treatments and shifting paradigms in differentiated thyroid cancer management. Cancer Control. 2011 Apr;18(2):96-103. Pubmedid: 21451452.
- McLean K, Lilienfeld H, Caracciolo JT, Hoffe S, Tourtelot JB, Carter WB. Management of isolated Adrenal Lesions in Cancer Patients. Cancer Control. 2011 Apr;18(2):113-126. Pubmedid: 21451454.
- Baskin HJ, Cobin RH, Duick DS, Gharib H, Guttler RB, Kaplan MM, Segal RL, Garber JR, Hamilton CR, Handelsman Y, Hellman R, Kukora JS, Levy P, Palumbo PJ, Petak SM, Rettinger HI, Rodbard HW, Service FJ, Shankar TP, Stoffer SS, Tourtelot JB. AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGISTS MEDICAL GUIDELINES FOR CLINICAL PRACTICE FOR THE EVALUATION AND TREATMENT OF HYPERTHYROIDISM AND HYPOTHYROIDISM. Endocr Pract. 2002 Nov;8(6):457-469. Pubmedid: 27762623.
- Wysowski DK, Freiman JP, Tourtelot JB, Horton ML. Fatal and nonfatal hepatotoxicity associated with flutamide. Ann Intern Med. 1993 Jun;118(11):860-864. Pubmedid: 7683180.