Find a Doctor
Jennifer Sweeney, MD
Specialty: Interventional Radiology
Program: Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Radiology
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Focus: Anal Cancer, Appendiceal (Appendix) Cancer, Bladder Cancer , Cholangiocarcinoma (Bile Duct Cancer), Colon Cancer, Colorectal Cancer , Esophageal Cancer , GIST (Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor) , Gallbladder Cancer , Gastrointestinal Carcinoid Tumor , Kidney (Renal Cell) Cancer , Liver Cancer , Neuroendocrine Tumor , Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma , Pancreatic Cancer , Penile Cancer, Prostate Cancer , Rectal Cancer , Small Intestine Cancer , Stomach (Gastric) Cancer , Testicular Cancer
Dr. Sweeney is dedicated to the advancement in the care and treatment of cancer patients through minimally invasive, image-guided techniques. She is an active member of multiple medical societies, including the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR), American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS), American College of Radiology (ACR), American Board of Radiology (ABR), American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) and the Society of Interventional Radiology (SIO). She serves as a reviewer for The Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology (JVIR) and the Journal of Oncology Practice (JOP). She is an investigator/co-investigator on several phase I/II and phase III multicenter randomized clinical trials. Her research interests include development of novel targeted and minimally invasive image-guided cancer therapies. Dr. Sweeney’s clinical interests are image-guided therapies as part of a multidisciplinary approach to provide the most effective treatment for patients with cancer while maintaining an optimal quality of life. She is specialized in minimally invasive interventional oncology procedures. Her expertise includes percutaneous ablation of primary and metastatic liver and renal and bone tumors (microwave ablation, radiofrequency ablation, cryoablation and irreversible electroporation), embolization of tumors (bland embolization, chemoembolization and radioembolization), other minimally invasive procedures to aid in obtaining diagnosis and treating side effects and complications resulting from cancer involving the hepatobiliary, genitourinary, musculoskeletal, gastrointestinal and vascular systems.
Education & Training
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Vascular & Interventional Radiology
- USF at Tampa General Hospital - Vascular and Interventional Radiology
- University of South Florida - Radiology
- University of South Florida - MD
- Sweeney J, Parikh N, El-Haddad G, Kis B. Ablation of Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma. Semin Intervent Radiol. 2019 Oct.36(4):298-302. Pubmedid: 31680720. Pmcid: PMC6823041.
- Sweeney J, Biebel B, Kis B. Complication of hemothorax after CT-guided percutaneous biopsy of herniated liver masquerading as a pulmonary mass. Radiol Case Rep. 2019 Jan.14(1):129-132. Pubmedid: 30377457. Pmcid: PMC6204432.
- Mohammadi H, Abuodeh Y, Jin W, Frakes J, Friedman M, Biebel B, Choi J, El-Haddad G, Kis B, Sweeney J, Hoffe S. Using the Albumin-Bilirubin (ALBI) grade as a prognostic marker for radioembolization of hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2018 Oct.9(5):840-846. Pubmedid: 30505583. Pmcid: PMC6219966.
- Frakes JM, Abuodeh YA, Naghavi AO, Echevarria MI, Shridhar R, Friedman M, Kim R, El-Haddad G, Kis B, Biebel B, Sweeney J, Choi J, Anaya D, Giuliano AR, Hoffe SE. Viral hepatitis associated hepatocellular carcinoma outcomes with yttrium-90 radioembolization. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2018 Jun.9(3):546-552. Pubmedid: 29998020. Pmcid: PMC6006034.
- Gangi A, Shah J, Hatfield N, Smith J, Sweeney J, Choi J, El-Haddad G, Biebel B, Parikh N, Arslan B, Hoffe SE, Frakes JM, Springett GM, Anaya DA, Malafa M, Chen DT, Chen Y, Kim RD, Shridhar R, Kis B. Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma Treated with Transarterial Yttrium-90 Glass Microsphere Radioembolization: Results of a Single Institution Retrospective Study. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2018 Aug;29(8):1101-1108. Pubmedid: 30042074.
- Sweeney J, Parikh N. Inferior vena cava filter placement in a left IVC and drainage into duplicated SVC via hemiazygous continuation. Radiol Case Rep. 2018 Apr.13(2):320-323. Pubmedid: 29904464. Pmcid: PMC5999865.
- Kis B, Shah J, Choi J, El-Haddad G, Sweeney J, Biebel B, Mellon E, Frakes JM, Hoffe SE, Fishman MN, Shridhar R. Transarterial Yttrium-90 Radioembolization Treatment of Patients with Liver-Dominant Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2017 Feb;28(2):254-259. Pubmedid: 27955832.
- Mills M, Choi J, El-Haddad G, Sweeney J, Biebel B, Robinson L, Antonia S, Kumar A, Kis B. Retrospective analysis of technical success rate and procedure-related complications of 867 percutaneous CT-guided needle biopsies of lung lesions. Clin Radiol. 2017 Dec.72(12):1038-1046. Pubmedid: 28851490.
- Mohammadi H, Abuodeh YA, Jin W, Frakes JM, Friedman M, Biebel B, Choi J, El-Haddad GE, Kis B, Sweeney J, Kim R, Pimiento JM, Malafa MP, Anaya D, Hoffe SE. Using the ALBI Grade as a Prognostic Marker for Radioembolization of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016 Oct;96(2S):E194-E195.
- Abuodeh Y, Naghavi AO, Ahmed KA, Venkat PS, Kim Y, Kis B, Choi J, Biebel B, Sweeney J, Anaya DA, Kim R, Malafa M, Frakes JM, Hoffe SE, El-Haddad G. Prognostic value of pre-treatment F-18-FDG PET-CT in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma undergoing radioembolization. World J Gastroenterol. 2016 Dec.22(47):10406-10414. Pubmedid: 28058021. Pmcid: PMC5175253.
- Abbott AM, Kim R, Hoffe SE, Arslan B, Biebel B, Choi J, El-Haddad G, Kis B, Sweeney J, Meredith KL, Almhanna K, Strosberg J, Shibata D, Fulp WJ, Shridhar R. Outcomes of Therasphere Radioembolization for Colorectal Metastases. Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2015 Sep;14(3):146-153. Pubmedid: 25795047.
- Sequist LV, Gettinger S, Senzer NN, Martins RG, Jänne PA, Lilenbaum R, Gray JE, Iafrate AJ, Katayama R, Hafeez N, Sweeney J, Walker JR, Fritz C, Ross RW, Grayzel D, Engelman JA, Borger DR, Paez G, Natale R. Activity of IPI-504, a novel heat-shock protein 90 inhibitor, in patients with molecularly defined non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Nov;28(33):4953-4960. Pubmedid: 20940188. Pmcid: PMC4676802.
- Sweeney J, Maietta R, Olson K. An analysis comparing "Sim Huddles" to traditional simulation for obstetric emergency preparedness. Nurs Womens Health. 19(1):16-25. Pubmedid: 25690812.