Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Find a Doctor
George Simon, MD, FACP, FCCP
Chair, Department of Medical Oncology at Advent Health - Celebration
Specialty: Medical Oncology
Program: Medical Oncology at AdventHealth - Celebration
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Dr. George Simon is the Executive Director of the Moffitt Cancer Center-AdventHealth joint Clinical Research Unit in Celebration, FL. The Celebration facility provides access to the latest in cancer treatments through cutting edge research and access to investigational early phase clinical trials for patients in Central Florida. Dr. Simon directs the CRU in Celebration, to expand trial opportunities to include solid tumors and hematologic malignancies. As Moffitt and AdventHealth continue to expand research activities, clinical research units like the one at AdventHealth Celebration will become critical for translating new therapies to patients and allow reach to other areas of the state where next generation treatments may not be available. In addition to his role at AdventHealth Celebration, Dr. Simon is also a senior member of the Chemical Biology and Molecular Medicine Program at Moffitt. He specializes in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer, Thymoma, Mesothelioma, and the Role of ERCC1 in Lung Cancer. In particular, he studies optimal strategies to deliver personalized cancer care in the form of either immunotherapy or targeted therapy individualized to a patient’s tumor molecular profile. He has served as principal investigator on numerous clinical trials and received several federal grants to support his work. Dr. Simon has more than 20 years of clinical oncology translational research experience. Before joining Moffitt, he served as section chief of Translational Research in the Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. Additionally, he served as medical director of the MD Anderson Cancer Network. He has also held director level positions at Hollings Cancer Center in Charleston, S.C., and Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia. Prior to that, Dr. Simon was a faculty member at Moffitt from 2000 to 2008 as director of Mesothelioma Research and a member of the Department of Thoracic Oncology.
Education & Training
- Medical Oncology
- University of Colorado School of Medicine -
- University of Colorado School of Medicine -
- St. Joseph Hospital, Colorado -
- Christian Medical College, Punjab UniversityMD
- Welsh JW, Heymach JV, Guo C, Menon H, Klein K, Cushman TR, Verma V, Hess KR, Shroff G, Tang C, Skoulidis F, Jeter M, Comeaux N, Patel RR, Chen D, Ozgen T, Nguyen QN, Chang JY, Altan M, Zhang J, Papadimitrakopoulou VA, Simon GR, Byers LA, Glisson B. Phase I/II Trial of Pembrolizumab and Concurrent Chemoradiation Therapy for Limited-Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2020 Sep. Pubmedid: 32916308.
- Hong L, Negrao MV, Dibaj SS, Chen R, Reuben A, Bohac JM, Liu X, Skoulidis F, Gay CM, Cascone T, Mitchell KG, Tran HT, Le X, Byers LA, Sepesi B, Altan M, Elamin YY, Fossella FV, Kurie JM, Lu C, Mott FE, Tsao AS, Rinsurongkawong W, Lewis J, Gibbons DL, Glisson BS, Blumenschein GR, Roarty EB, Futreal PA, Wistuba II, Roth JA, Swisher SG, Papadimitrakopoulou VA, Heymach JV, Lee JJ, Simon GR, Zhang J. Programmed Death-Ligand 1 Heterogeneity and Its Impact on Benefit From Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors in NSCLC. J Thorac Oncol. 2020 May.15(9):1449-1459. Pubmedid: 32389639.
- Whisenant MS, Williams LA, Garcia Gonzalez A, Mendoza T, Shi Q, Cleeland C, Zhang J, Heymach J, Simon G. What Do Patients With Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer Experience? Content Domain for the MD Anderson Symptom Inventory for Lung Cancer. JCO Oncol Pract. 2020 Jun. Pubmedid: 32539654.
- Gay CM, Zhou Y, Lee JJ, Tang XM, Lu W, Wistuba II, Ferrarotto R, Gibbons DL, Glisson BS, Kies MS, Simon GR, Heymach JV, Tsao AS. A Phase II Trial of Alisertib (MLN8237) in Salvage Malignant Mesothelioma. Oncologist. 2020 Jul. Pubmedid: 32608142.
- Cascone T, Sepesi B, Lin HY, Kalhor N, Parra ER, Jiang M, Godoy MCB, Zhang J, Fossella FV, Tsao AS, Lam VK, Lu C, Mott FE, Simon GR, Antonoff MB, Mehran RJ, Rice DC, Behrens C, Weissferdt A, Moran C, Vaporciyan AA, Lee JJ, Swisher SG, Gibbons DL, Wistuba II, William WN, Heymach JV. A Phase I/II Study of Neoadjuvant Cisplatin, Docetaxel, and Nintedanib for Resectable Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2020 Jul.26(14):3525-3536. Pubmedid: 32193228. Pmcid: PMC7446232.
- Lin SH, Lin Y, Yao L, Kalhor N, Carter BW, Altan M, Blumenschein G, Byers LA, Fossella F, Gibbons DL, Kurie JM, Lu C, Simon G, Skoulidis F, Chang JY, Jeter MD, Liao Z, Gomez DR, O'Reilly M, Papadimitrakopoulou V, Thall P, Heymach JV, Tsao AS. Phase II Trial of Concurrent Atezolizumab With Chemoradiation for Unresectable NSCLC. J Thorac Oncol. 2020 Feb.15(2):248-257. Pubmedid: 31778797.
- Welsh JW, Heymach JV, Chen D, Verma V, Cushman TR, Hess KR, Shroff G, Tang C, Skoulidis F, Jeter M, Menon H, Nguyen QN, Chang JY, Altan M, Papadimitrakopoulou VA, Simon GR, Raju U, Byers L, Glisson B. Phase I Trial of Pembrolizumab and Radiation Therapy after Induction Chemotherapy for Extensive-Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2020 Feb.15(2):266-273. Pubmedid: 31605794.
- Shi B, Behrens C, Vaghani V, Riquelme EM, Rodriguez-Canales J, Kadara H, Lin H, Lee J, Liu H, Wistuba I, Simon G. Oncogenic enhancer of zeste homolog 2 is an actionable target in patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Med. 2019 Oct.8(14):6383-6392. Pubmedid: 31456359. Pmcid: PMC6797579.
- Chiappori AA, Williams CC, Gray JE, Tanvetyanon T, Haura EB, Creelan BC, Thapa R, Chen DT, Simon GR, Bepler G, Gabrilovich DI, Antonia SJ. Randomized-controlled phase II trial of salvage chemotherapy after immunization with a TP53-transfected dendritic cell-based vaccine (Ad.p53-DC) in patients with recurrent small cell lung cancer. Cancer Immunol Immun. 2019 Mar.68(3):517-527. Pubmedid: 30591959. Pmcid: PMC6426813.
- Simon G, DiNardo CD, Takahashi K, Cascone T, Powers C, Stevens R, Allen J, Antonoff MB, Gomez D, Keane P, Suarez Saiz F, Nguyen Q, Roarty E, Pierce S, Zhang J, Hardeman Barnhill E, Lakhani K, Shaw K, Smith B, Swisher S, High R, Futreal PA, Heymach J, Chin L. Applying Artificial Intelligence to Address the Knowledge Gaps in Cancer Care. Oncologist. 2019 Jun.24(6):772-782. Pubmedid: 30446581. Pmcid: PMC6656515.
- Welsh JW, Tang C, de Groot P, Naing A, Hess KR, Heymach JV, Papadimitrakopoulou VA, Cushman TR, Subbiah V, Chang JY, Simon GR, Ramapriyan R, Barsoumian HB, Menon H, Cortez MA, Massarelli E, Nguyen Q, Sharma P, Allison JP, Diab A, Verma V, Raju U, Shaaban SG, Dadu R, Cabanillas ME, Wang K, Anderson C, Gomez DR, Hahn S, Komaki R, Hong DS. Phase II Trial of Ipilimumab with Stereotactic Radiation Therapy for Metastatic Disease: Outcomes, Toxicities, and Low-Dose Radiation-Related Abscopal Responses. Cancer Immunol Res. 2019 Dec.7(12):1903-1909. Pubmedid: 31658994. Pmcid: PMC6891218.
- Hwang JP, Lok AS, Fisch MJ, Cantor SB, Barbo A, Lin HY, Foreman JT, Vierling JM, Torres HA, Granwehr BP, Miller E, Eng C, Simon GR, Ahmed S, Ferrajoli A, Romaguera J, Suarez-Almazor ME. Models to Predict Hepatitis B Virus Infection Among Patients With Cancer Undergoing Systemic Anticancer Therapy: A Prospective Cohort Study. J Clin Oncol. 2018 Apr.36(10):959-967. Pubmedid: 29447061. Pmcid: PMC7351320.
- Creelan BC, Antonia S, Bepler G, Garrett TJ, Simon GR, Soliman HH. Indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase activity and clinical outcome following induction chemotherapy and concurrent chemoradiation in Stage III non-small cell lung cancer. Oncoimmunology. 2013 Mar.2(3):e23428. Pubmedid: 23802083. Pmcid: PMC3661168.
- Simon GR, Schell MJ, Begum M, Kim J, Chiappori A, Haura E, Antonia S, Bepler G. Preliminary indication of survival benefit from ERCC1 and RRM1-tailored chemotherapy in patients with advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer: evidence from an individual patient analysis. Cancer. 2012 May.118(9):2525-2531. Pubmedid: 22028294. Pmcid: PMC3270127.
- Hong DS, Kurzrock R, Oh Y, Wheler J, Naing A, Brail L, Callies S, André V, Kadam SK, Nasir A, Holzer TR, Meric-Bernstam F, Fishman M, Simon G. A phase 1 dose escalation, pharmacokinetic, and pharmacodynamic evaluation of eIF-4E antisense oligonucleotide LY2275796 in patients with advanced cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2011 Oct;17(20):6582-6591. Pubmedid: 21831956. Pmcid: PMC5036398.
- Simon GR, Ilaria RL, Sovak MA, Williams CC, Haura EB, Cleverly AL, Sykes AK, Wagner MM, de Alwis DP, Slapak CA, Miller MA, Spriggs DR. A phase I study of tasisulam sodium (LY573636 sodium), a novel anticancer compound in patients with refractory solid tumors. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2011 Nov;68(5):1233-1241. Pubmedid: 21431416. Pmcid: PMC3215883.
- Bepler G, Dilling TJ, Wagner H, Hazelton T, Williams C, Chen DT, Greenberg H, Walsh F, Simon G, Tanvetyanon T, Chiappori A, Haura E, Stevens C. Phase II trial of induction gemcitabine and carboplatin followed by conformal thoracic radiation to 74 Gy with weekly paclitaxel and carboplatin in unresectable stage III non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2011 Mar;6(3):553-558. Pubmedid: 21289520. Pmcid: PMC3839293.
- Haura EB, Tanvetyanon T, Chiappori A, Williams C, Simon G, Antonia S, Gray J, Litschauer S, Tetteh L, Neuger A, Song L, Rawal B, Schell MJ, Bepler G. Phase I/II study of the Src inhibitor dasatinib in combination with erlotinib in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Mar;28(8):1387-1394. Pubmedid: 20142592. Pmcid: PMC3040065.
- Bepler G, Sommers KE, Cantor A, Li X, Sharma A, Williams C, Chiappori A, Haura E, Antonia S, Tanvetyanon T, Simon G, Obasaju C, Robinson LA. Clinical efficacy and predictive molecular markers of neoadjuvant gemcitabine and pemetrexed in resectable non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2008 Oct;3(10):1112-1118. Pubmedid: 18827606. Pmcid: PMC2639211.
- Simon GR, Extermann M, Chiappori A, Williams CC, Begum M, Kapoor R, Haura EB, Ismail-Khan R, Schell MJ, Antonia SJ, Bepler G. Phase 2 trial of docetaxel and gefitinib in the first-line treatment of patients with advanced nonsmall-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) who are 70 years of age or older. Cancer. 2008 May;112(9):2021-2029. Pubmedid: 18300255.
- Chiappori AA, Haura E, Rodriguez FA, Boulware D, Kapoor R, Neuger AM, Lush R, Padilla B, Burton M, Williams C, Simon G, Antonia S, Sullivan DM, Bepler G. Phase I/II study of atrasentan, an endothelin A receptor antagonist, in combination with paclitaxel and carboplatin as first-line therapy in advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2008 Mar;14(5):1464-1469. Pubmedid: 18316570.
- Janne P, Simon G, Langer C, Taub R, Dowlati A, Fidias P, Monberg M, Obasaju C, Kindler H. Phase II trial of pemetrexed and gemcitabine in chemotherapy-naive malignant pleural mesothelioma. J Clin Oncol. 2008 Mar;26(9):1465-1471. Pubmedid: 18349397.
- Simon G, Verschraegen C, J??nne P, Langer C, Dowlati A, Gadgeel S, KellyK, Kalemkerian G, Traynor A, Peng G, Gill J, Obasaju C, Kindler H. Pemetrexed plus gemcitabine as first-line chemotherapy for patients with peritoneal mesothelioma: final report of a phase II trial. J Clin Oncol. 2008 Jul;26(21):3567-3572. Pubmedid: 18640937.
- Simon G, Begum M, Bepler G. Setting the stage for tailored chemotherapy in the management of non-small cell lung cancer. Future Oncol. 2008 Feb.4(1):51-59. Pubmedid: 18241000.
- Hoda D, Simon GR, Garrett CR. Targeting colorectal cancer with anti-epidermal growth factor receptor antibodies: focus on panitumumab. Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2008 Dec.4(6):1221-1227. Pubmedid: 19337429. Pmcid: PMC2643103.
- Bepler G, Begum M, Simon G. Molecular analysis-based treatment strategies for non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Control. 2008 Apr.15(2):130-139. Pubmedid: 18376380.
- Samson D, Seidenfeld J, Simon G, Turrisi AT 3rd, Bonnell C, Ziegler K, Aronson N. Evidence for management of small cell lung cancer: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines (2nd edition). Chest. 2007 Sep;132(3 Suppl):314S-323S. Pubmedid: 17873177.
- Simon GR, Ismail-Khan R, Bepler G. Nuclear excision repair-based personalized therapy for non-small cell lung cancer: from hypothesis to reality. Int J Biochem Cell B. 2007 Oct.39(7-8):1318-1328. Pubmedid: 17600754. Pmcid: PMC3167070.
- Homsi J, Simon G, Garrett C, Springett G, DeConti R, Chiappori A, Munster PN, Burton M, Stromatt S, Allievi C, Angiuli P, Eisenfeld A, Sullivan D, Daud A. Phase I trial of poly-L-glutamate camptothecin (CT-2106) administered weekly in patients with advanced solid malignancies. Clin Cancer Res. 2007 Oct;13(19):5855-5861. Pubmedid: 17908979.
- Rastogi S, Banerjee S, Chellappan S, Simon G. Glut-1 antibodies induce growth arrest and apoptosis in human cancer cell lines. Cancer Lett. 2007 Nov;257(2):244-251. Pubmedid: 17910902.
- Münster P, Marchion D, Bicaku E, Schmitt M, Lee JH, DeConti R, Simon G, Fishman M, Minton S, Garrett C, Chiappori A, Lush R, Sullivan D, Daud A. Phase I trial of histone deacetylase inhibition by valproic acid followed by the topoisomerase II inhibitor epirubicin in advanced solid tumors: a clinical and translational study. J Clin Oncol. 2007 May;25(15):1979-1985. Pubmedid: 17513804.
- Simon G, Sharma A, Li X, Hazelton T, Walsh F, Williams C, Chiappori A, Haura E, Tanvetyanon T, Antonia S, Cantor A, Bepler G. Feasibility and efficacy of molecular analysis-directed individualized therapy in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2007 Jul;25(19):2741-2746. Pubmedid: 17602079.
- Fracasso PM, Burris H, Arquette MA, Govindan R, Gao F, Wright LP, Goodner SA, Greco FA, Jones SF, Willcut N, Chodkiewicz C, Pathak A, Springett GM, Simon GR, Sullivan DM, Marcelpoil R, Mayfield SD, Mauro D, Garrett CR. A phase 1 escalating single-dose and weekly fixed-dose study of cetuximab: pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic rationale for dosing. Clin Cancer Res. 2007 Feb;13(3):986-993. Pubmedid: 17289894.
- de Lima Lopes G, Chiappori A, Simon G, Haura E, Sullivan D, Antonia S, Langevin M, Lush R, Rocha-Lima CM. Phase I study of carboplatin in combination with gemcitabine and irinotecan in patients with solid tumors: preliminary evidence of activity in small cell and neuroendocrine carcinomas. Cancer. 2007 Apr;109(7):1413-1419. Pubmedid: 17326096.
- Gray J, Simon G, Bepler G. Molecular predictors of chemotherapy response in non-small-cell lung cancer. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2007 Apr;7(4):545-549. Pubmedid: 17428174.
- Bepler G, Kusmartseva I, Sharma S, Gautam A, Cantor A, Sharma A, Simon G. RRM1 modulated in vitro and in vivo efficacy of gemcitabine and platinum in non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2006 Oct.24(29):4731-4737. Pubmedid: 16966686.
- Ismail-Khan R, Robinson L, Williams CC J, Garrett C, Bepler G, Simon G. Malignant pleural mesothelioma: a comprehensive review. Cancer Control. 2006 Oct;13(4):255-263. Pubmedid: 17075562.
- Crane E, Simon G. Adjuvant chemotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer. CURR TREAT OPTION ON. 2006 Jan.7(1):51-58. Pubmedid: 16343368.
- Fishman M, Garrett C, Simon G, Chiappori A, Lush R, Dinwoodie W, Mahany J, Dellaportas A, Cantor A, Gollerki A, Cohen M, Sullivan D. Phase I study of the taxane BMS-188797 in combination with carboplatin administered every 3 weeks in patients with solid malignancies. Clin Cancer Res. 2006 Jan;12(2):523-528. Pubmedid: 16428495.
- Antonia S, Mirza N, Fricke I, Chiappori A, Thompson P, Williams N, Bepler G, Simon G, Janssen W, Lee J, Menander K, Chada S, Gabrilovich D. Combination of p53 cancer vaccine with chemotherapy in patients with extensive stage small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2006 Feb;12(3 Pt 1):878-887. Pubmedid: 16467102.
- Simon G, Lush R, Gump J, Tetteh L, Williams C, Cantor A, Antonia S, Garrett C, Rocha-Lima C, Fishman M, Sullivan D, Munster P. Sequential oral 9-nitrocamptothecin and etoposide: a pharmacodynamic- and pharmacokinetic-based phase I trial. Mol Cancer Ther. 2006 Aug;5(8):2130-2137. Pubmedid: 16928835.
- Simon GR, Garrett CR, Olson SC, Langevin M, Eiseman IA, Mahany JJ, Williams CC, Lush R, Daud A, Munster P, Chiappori A, Fishman M, Bepler G, Lenehan PF, Sullivan DM. Increased bioavailability of intravenous versus oral CI-1033, a pan erbB tyrosine kinase inhibitor: results of a phase I pharmacokinetic study. Clin Cancer Res. 2006 Aug;12(15):4645-4651. Pubmedid: 16899614.
- Chiappori A, Simon G, Williams C, Haura E, Rocha-Lima C, Wagner H, Bepler G, Antonia S. Phase II study of first-line sequential chemotherapy with gemcitabine-carboplatin followed by docetaxel in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Oncology-Basel. 2005 Sep;68(4-6):382-390. Pubmedid: 16020967.
- Simon G, Sharma S, Cantor A, Smith P, Bepler G. ERCC1 expression is a predictor of survival in resected patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Chest. 2005 Mar;127(3):978-983. Pubmedid: 15764785.
- Bepler G, Sharma S, Cantor A, Gautam A, Haura E, Simon G, Sharma A, Sommers E, Robinson L. RRM1 and PTEN as prognostic parameters for overall and disease-free survival in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2004 May.22(10):1878-1885. Pubmedid: 15143080.
- Nordquist L, Simon G, Cantor A, Alberts W, Bepler G. Improved survival in never-smokers vs current smokers with primary adenocarcinoma of the lung. Chest. 2004 Aug;126(2):347-351. Pubmedid: 15302716.
- Simon G, Fleck M, Lucas R, Bushnell D. Prevalence and predictors of depression treatment in an international primary care study. Am J Psychiatry. 2004;161(9):1626-1634. Pubmedid: 15337653.
- Simon G, Wagner H. Small cell lung cancer. Chest. 2003 Jan;123(1 Suppl):259S-271S. Pubmedid: 12527584.
- Simon G, Bunn PA J. Taxanes in the treatment of advanced (stage III and IV) non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): recent developments. Cancer Invest. 2003;21(1):87-104. Pubmedid: 12643013.
- Herrman H, Patrick D, Diehr P, Martin M, Fleck M, Simon G, Buesching D. Longitudinal investigation of depression outcomes in primary care in six countries: the LIDO study. Functional status, health service use and treatment of people with depressive symptoms. Psychol Med. 2002;32(5):889-902. Pubmedid: 12171383.
- Simon G, Ginsberg R, Ruckdeschel J. Small-cell lung cancer. Chest Surg Clin N Am. 2001 Feb;11(1):165-88, ix. Pubmedid: 11253596.
- Simon G, Ruckdeschel J, Williams C, Cantor A, Antonia S, Haura E, Rocha C, Chiappori A, Wagner H, Robinson L, Sommers E, Alberts M, Bepler G. Gefitinib (ZD1839) in previously treated advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: experience from a single institution. Cancer Control. 10(5):388-395. Pubmedid: 14581894.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.