Find a Doctor
Diane Portman, MD, FAAHPM
Chair, Department of Supportive Care Medicine
Specialty: Hospice & Palliative Medicine
Program: Supportive Care Medicine
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Diane Portman, MD, FAAHPM is the Chair of the Supportive Care Medicine department at Moffitt Cancer Center, and an Associate Professor in the Department of Oncologic Sciences at the University of South Florida. Dr. Portman received her MD degree at Jefferson Medical College and completed an Anesthesia Residency at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. She is board certified in Anesthesiology and Hospice and Palliative Medicine, is a fellow in the Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, is credentialed in pain management and is a frequent speaker and advocate in Palliative Care matters regionally and nationally. Dr. Portman has extensive experience in the integration of Interventional Pain Management techniques with pharmacologic methods and collaboration with other disciplines to enhance patient quality of life through symptom control. Dr. Portman’s clinical interests include therapy of cancer-related and cancer treatment-related pain and other symptoms, palliative communications and shared decision making and their integration into the comprehensive supportive care model. Her research interests include service models, outcomes and quality assessment of Palliative Care. Dr. Portman has successfully led the interdisciplinary effort to attain The Joint Commission Advanced Certification in Palliative Care at Moffitt. She has an ardent interest in the integration of Palliative care in Oncologic services and has been a fervent promoter of the advancement of the field of Palliative Medicine overall.
Education & Training
- Hospice & Palliative Medicine
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - Anesthesia
- Jefferson Medical College - MD
- Portman D. Commentary on I, you, she or he…. Acad Med. 2018 Sep;93(9):1309. Pubmedid: 30153171.
- Portman D. Scanxiety. Fam Syst Health. 2018 Sep;36(3):415. Pubmedid: 30198743.
- Portman D. Real Time Care. J Palliat Med. 2018 May;21(5):724. Pubmedid: 29125910.
- Mosley SA, Hicks JK, Portman DG, Donovan KA, Gopalan P, Schmit J, Starr J, Silver N, Gong Y, Langaee T, Clare-Salzler M, Starostik P, Chang YD, Rajasekhara S, Smith JE, Soares HP, George TJ, McLeod HL, Cavallari LH. Design and rational for the precision medicine guided treatment for cancer pain pragmatic clinical trial. Contemp Clin Trials. 2018 May;68:7-13. Pubmedid: 29535047. Pmcid: PMC5899651.
- Portman D, Donovan KA. Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome: A Case Report of a Confounding Entity in Oncology Care. J Oncol Pract. 2018 May;14(5):333-334. Pubmedid: 29543555.
- Portman D, Thirlwell S, Donovan KA. Completing the Bucket List: Leveraging Telemedicine in Oncologic Palliative Care to Support Legacy-Making and Dignity. J Pain Symptom Manag. 2018 Jun;55(6):e1-e2. Pubmedid: 29474937.
- Oberoi-Jassal R, Portman D, Smith J, Rajasekhara S, Desai VV, Donovan KA, Chang YD. Burning Mouth Pain: A Case Report. J Oncol Pract. 2018 Jul;14(7):447-448. Pubmedid: 29589986.
- Chang YD, Smith J, Portman D, Kim R, Oberoi-Jassal R, Rajasekhara S, Davis M. Single Institute Experience With Methylphenidate and American Ginseng in Cancer-Related Fatigue. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2018 Jan;35(1):144-150. Pubmedid: 28299946.
- Johnstone PAS, Bulls HW, Zhou JM, Lee JK, Portman D, Yu HM, Jim H. Congruence of multiple patient-related outcomes within a single day. Support Care Cancer. 2018 Aug. Pubmedid: 30069695.
- Johnstone PAS, Lee J, Zhou JM, Ma Z, Portman D, Jim H, Yu HM. A modified Edmonton Symptom Assessment Scale for symptom clusters in radiation oncology patients. Cancer Med. 2017 Sep;6(9):2034-2041. Pubmedid: 28776964. Pmcid: PMC5603842.
- Portman D. De-prescription. Fam Syst Health. 2017 Sep;35(3):389-390. Pubmedid: 28945453.
- Kamal AH, Bull J, Wolf SP, Portman D, Strand J, Johnson KS. Unmet Needs of African Americans and Whites at the Time of Palliative Care Consultation. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2017 Jun;34(5):461-465. Pubmedid: 26888883.
- Portman D. A Palliative Homage to Dylan Thomas: Go Gentle into That Good Night. J Palliat Med. 2017 Aug;20(8):901. Pubmedid: 28287851.
- Dans M, Smith T, Back A, Baker JN, Bauman JR, Beck AC, Block S, Campbell T, Case AA, Dalal S, Edwards H, Fitch TR, Kapo J, Kutner JS, Kvale E, Miller C, Misra S, Mitchell W, Portman DG, Spiegel D, Sutton L, Szmuilowicz E, Temel J, Tickoo R, Urba SG, Weinstein E, Zachariah F, Bergman MA, Scavone JL. NCCN Guidelines Insights: Palliative Care, Version 2.2017. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2017 Aug;15(8):989-997. Pubmedid: 28784860.
- Smith J, Portman DG, Oberoi-Jassal R, Rajasekhara S, Davis MP. The combination therapy with methylphenidate and American ginseng in cancer-related fatigue. J Clin Oncol. 2016 Oct;34(26_suppl):215. Pubmedid: 28156680.
- Donovan KA, Turney M, Emnett CE, Lamoreaux A, Portman DG. Predicting hospital readmissions in the oncology population. J Clin Oncol. 2016 Oct;34(26_suppl):177. Pubmedid: 28156510.
- Portman DG, Thirlwell S, Donovan KA, Alvero C, Gray JE, Holloway R, Ellington L. Leveraging a Team Mental Model to Develop a Cancer Anorexia-Cachexia Syndrome Team. J Oncol Pract. 2016 Nov;12(11):1046-1052. Pubmedid: 27858539.
- Hochman MJ, Wolf S, Zafar SY, Portman D, Bull J, Kamal AH. Comparing Unmet Needs to Optimize Quality: Characterizing Inpatient and Outpatient Palliative Care Populations. J Pain Symptom Manag. 2016 Jun;51(6):1033-1039.e3. Pubmedid: 27046299.
- Calton BA, Alvarez-Perez A, Portman DG, Ramchandran KJ, Sugalski J, Rabow MW. The Current State of Palliative Care for Patients Cared for at Leading US Cancer Centers: The 2015 NCCN Palliative Care Survey. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2016 Jul;14(7):859-866. Pubmedid: 27407126.
- Levy M, Smith T, Alvarez-Perez A, Back A, Baker JN, Beck AC, Block S, Dalal S, Dans M, Fitch TR, Kapo J, Kutner JS, Kvale E, Misra S, Mitchell W, Portman DG, Sauer TM, Spiegel D, Sutton L, Szmuilowicz E, Taylor RM, Temel J, Tickoo R, Urba SG, Weinstein E, Zachariah F, Bergman MA, Scavone JL. Palliative Care Version 1.2016. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2016 Jan;14(1):82-113. Pubmedid: 26733557.
- Albizu-Rivera A, Portman DG, Thirlwell S, Codada SN, Donovan KA. Implementation of NCCN Palliative Care Guidelines by member institutions. Support Care Cancer. 2016 Feb;24(2):929-932. Pubmedid: 26227917.
- Portman D, Thirlwell S. Perspectives, Progress, and Opportunities for Palliative Care in Oncology. Cancer Control. 2015 Oct;22(4):382-384. Pubmedid: 26678964.