Find a Doctor
Diane Portman, MD, FAAHPM
Chair, Department of Supportive Care MedicineSpecialty: Hospice & Palliative Medicine
Program: Supportive Care Medicine
Diane Portman, MD, FAAHPM is the Chair of the Supportive Care Medicine department at Moffitt Cancer Center, and an Associate Professor in the Department of Oncologic Sciences at the University of South Florida. Dr. Portman received her MD degree at Jefferson Medical College and completed an Anesthesia Residency at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. She is board certified in Anesthesiology and Hospice and Palliative Medicine, is a fellow in the Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, is credentialed in pain management and is a frequent speaker and advocate in Palliative Care matters regionally and nationally. Dr. Portman has extensive experience in the integration of Interventional Pain Management techniques with pharmacologic methods and collaboration with other disciplines to enhance patient quality of life through symptom control. Dr. Portman’s clinical interests include therapy of cancer-related and cancer treatment-related pain and other symptoms, palliative communications and shared decision making and their integration into the comprehensive supportive care model. Her research interests include service models, outcomes and quality assessment of Palliative Care. Dr. Portman has successfully led the interdisciplinary effort to attain The Joint Commission Advanced Certification in Palliative Care at Moffitt. She has an ardent interest in the integration of Palliative care in Oncologic services and has been a fervent promoter of the advancement of the field of Palliative Medicine overall.
Education & Training
- Hospice & Palliative Medicine
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - Anesthesia
- Jefferson Medical College - MD
- Donovan KA, Portman DG. Effect of COVID-19 Pandemic on Cannabis Use in Cancer Patients. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2021 Mar. Pubmedid: 33657874.
- Johnstone PAS, Alla R, Yu HM, Portman D, Cheng H, Mitchell R, Jim H. Patient-reported outcomes: using ESAS to screen for anemia. Support Care Cancer. 2020 Sep.28(9):4141-4145. Pubmedid: 31872297. Pmcid: PMC7771327.
- Portman D. The Scarf. J Pain Symptom Manag. 2020 Sep.60(3):688-689. Pubmedid: 32084527.
- Rajasekhara S, Portman DG, Chang YD, Haas MF, Randich AL, Bromberg HS, Rashid S, Donovan KA. Rate of cannabis use in older adults with cancer. BMJ Support Palliat Care. 2020 Nov. Pubmedid: 33177114.
- Portman D, Donovan KA. Case of Pneumonitis Associated With Cannabis Vaping and Cancer Immunotherapy. JCO Oncol Pract. 2020 May.16(5):245-246. Pubmedid: 32134708.
- Portman D. The Listening Commentary on The Listening. Acad Med. 2020 Mar. Pubmedid: 32271230.
- Portman D. Proning. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020 Jul.68(7):1385. Pubmedid: 32424807.
- Portman D. Transition of Care. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2020 Jan.28(1):118-119. Pubmedid: 30926274.
- Donovan KA, Oberoi-Jassal R, Chang YD, Rajasekhara S, Haas MF, Randich AL, Portman DG. Cannabis Use in Young Adult Cancer Patients. J Adolesc Young Adult Oncol. 2020 Feb.9(1):30-35. Pubmedid: 31436482.
- Portman D, Donovan KA, Bobonis M. Medical Cannabis as an Effective Treatment for Refractory Symptoms of Paraneoplastic Stiff Person Syndrome. J Pain Symptom Manag. 2020 Feb.59(2):e1-e3. Pubmedid: 31743746.
- Portman D. Virtuality. J Palliat Med. 2020 Dec.23(12):1686. Pubmedid: 32380884.
- Nanda R, Boulware D, Baz R, Portman D, Yu HM, Jim H, Johnstone PAS. Patient-reported outcomes regarding radiation therapy in patients with multiple myeloma. Acta Oncol. 2020 Aug.59(8):983-987. Pubmedid: 32496846. Pmcid: PMC7771243.
- Portman D. Mindset. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2020 Apr.28(4):505. Pubmedid: 31630999.
- Chang YD, Jung JW, Oberoi-Jassal R, Kim J, Rajasekhara S, Haas M, Smith J, Desai V, Donovan KA, Portman D. Edmonton Symptom Assessment Scale and Clinical Characteristics Associated With Cannabinoid Use in Oncology Supportive Care Outpatients. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2019 Sep.17(9):1059-1064. Pubmedid: 31487688. Pmcid: PMC7771367.
- Donovan KA, Chang YD, Oberoi-Jassal R, Rajasekhara S, Smith J, Haas M, Portman DG. Relationship of Cannabis Use to Patient-Reported Symptoms in Cancer Patients Seeking Supportive/Palliative Care. J Palliat Med. 2019 Oct.22(10):1191-1195. Pubmedid: 30794025.
- Portman D. Spills of Age. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019 May.67(5):1096. Pubmedid: 30667532.
- Johnstone PAS, Bulls HW, Zhou JM, Lee JK, Portman D, Yu HM, Jim H. Congruence of multiple patient-related outcomes within a single day. Support Care Cancer. 2019 Mar.27(3):867-872. Pubmedid: 30069695. Pmcid: PMC7771273.
- Portman D. Family Meeting. Chest. 2019 Mar.155(3):645. Pubmedid: 30846066. Pmcid: PMC6435908.
- Portman D. Family Meeting. Chest. 2019 Mar.155(3):645. Pubmedid: 33371933. Pmcid: PMC6435908.
- Portman D. Communication Fatigue. J Palliat Med. 2019 Jan.22(1):108. Pubmedid: 30633705.
- Portman D. Terminal Restlessness. Acad Psychiatry. 2019 Jan.43(6):649. Pubmedid: 30693463.
- Bulls HW, Hoogland AI, Craig D, Paice J, Chang YD, Oberoi-Jassal R, Rajasekhara S, Haas M, Bobonis M, Gonzalez BD, Portman D, Jim HSL. Cancer and Opioids: Patient Experiences With Stigma (COPES)-A Pilot Study. J Pain Symptom Manag. 2019 Apr.57(4):816-819. Pubmedid: 30703463. Pmcid: PMC6433506.
- Portman D. Commentary on I, you, she or he…. Acad Med. 2018 Sep.93(9):1309. Pubmedid: 30153171.
- Portman D. Scanxiety. Fam Syst Health. 2018 Sep.36(3):415. Pubmedid: 30198743.
- Portman D. Real Time Care. J Palliat Med. 2018 May.21(5):724. Pubmedid: 29125910.
- Mosley SA, Hicks JK, Portman DG, Donovan KA, Gopalan P, Schmit J, Starr J, Silver N, Gong Y, Langaee T, Clare-Salzler M, Starostik P, Chang YD, Rajasekhara S, Smith JE, Soares HP, George TJ, McLeod HL, Cavallari LH. Design and rational for the precision medicine guided treatment for cancer pain pragmatic clinical trial. Contemp Clin Trials. 2018 May.68:7-13. Pubmedid: 29535047. Pmcid: PMC5899651.
- Portman D, Donovan KA. Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome: A Case Report of a Confounding Entity in Oncology Care. J Oncol Pract. 2018 May.14(5):333-334. Pubmedid: 29543555.
- Portman D. Real Time Care. J Palliat Med. 2018 May.21(5):724. Pubmedid: 31765273.
- Portman D, Thirlwell S, Donovan KA. Completing the Bucket List: Leveraging Telemedicine in Oncologic Palliative Care to Support Legacy-Making and Dignity. J Pain Symptom Manag. 2018 Jun.55(6):e1-e2. Pubmedid: 29474937.
- Oberoi-Jassal R, Portman D, Smith J, Rajasekhara S, Desai VV, Donovan KA, Chang YD. Burning Mouth Pain: A Case Report. J Oncol Pract. 2018 Jul.14(7):447-448. Pubmedid: 29589986.
- Chang YD, Smith J, Portman D, Kim R, Oberoi-Jassal R, Rajasekhara S, Davis M. Single Institute Experience With Methylphenidate and American Ginseng in Cancer-Related Fatigue. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2018 Jan.35(1):144-150. Pubmedid: 28299946.
- Johnstone PAS, Lee J, Zhou JM, Ma Z, Portman D, Jim H, Yu HM. A modified Edmonton Symptom Assessment Scale for symptom clusters in radiation oncology patients. Cancer Med. 2017 Sep.6(9):2034-2041. Pubmedid: 28776964. Pmcid: PMC5603842.
- Portman D. De-prescription. Fam Syst Health. 2017 Sep.35(3):389-390. Pubmedid: 28945453.
- Kamal AH, Bull J, Wolf SP, Portman D, Strand J, Johnson KS. Unmet Needs of African Americans and Whites at the Time of Palliative Care Consultation. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2017 Jun.34(5):461-465. Pubmedid: 26888883.
- Portman D. A Palliative Homage to Dylan Thomas: Go Gentle into That Good Night. J Palliat Med. 2017 Aug.20(8):901. Pubmedid: 28287851.
- Dans M, Smith T, Back A, Baker JN, Bauman JR, Beck AC, Block S, Campbell T, Case AA, Dalal S, Edwards H, Fitch TR, Kapo J, Kutner JS, Kvale E, Miller C, Misra S, Mitchell W, Portman DG, Spiegel D, Sutton L, Szmuilowicz E, Temel J, Tickoo R, Urba SG, Weinstein E, Zachariah F, Bergman MA, Scavone JL. NCCN Guidelines Insights: Palliative Care, Version 2.2017. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2017 Aug.15(8):989-997. Pubmedid: 28784860.
- Donovan KA, Turney M, Emnett CE, Lamoreaux A, Portman DG. Predicting hospital readmissions in the oncology population. J Clin Oncol. 2016 Oct.34(26_suppl):177. Pubmedid: 28156510.
- Portman DG, Thirlwell S, Donovan KA, Alvero C, Gray JE, Holloway R, Ellington L. Leveraging a Team Mental Model to Develop a Cancer Anorexia-Cachexia Syndrome Team. J Oncol Pract. 2016 Nov.12(11):1046-1052. Pubmedid: 27858539.
- Hochman MJ, Wolf S, Zafar SY, Portman D, Bull J, Kamal AH. Comparing Unmet Needs to Optimize Quality: Characterizing Inpatient and Outpatient Palliative Care Populations. J Pain Symptom Manag. 2016 Jun.51(6):1033-1039.e3. Pubmedid: 27046299.
- Calton BA, Alvarez-Perez A, Portman DG, Ramchandran KJ, Sugalski J, Rabow MW. The Current State of Palliative Care for Patients Cared for at Leading US Cancer Centers: The 2015 NCCN Palliative Care Survey. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2016 Jul.14(7):859-866. Pubmedid: 27407126.
- Levy M, Smith T, Alvarez-Perez A, Back A, Baker JN, Beck AC, Block S, Dalal S, Dans M, Fitch TR, Kapo J, Kutner JS, Kvale E, Misra S, Mitchell W, Portman DG, Sauer TM, Spiegel D, Sutton L, Szmuilowicz E, Taylor RM, Temel J, Tickoo R, Urba SG, Weinstein E, Zachariah F, Bergman MA, Scavone JL. Palliative Care Version 1.2016. J Natl Compr Canc Ne. 2016 Jan.14(1):82-113. Pubmedid: 26733557.
- Albizu-Rivera A, Portman DG, Thirlwell S, Codada SN, Donovan KA. Implementation of NCCN Palliative Care Guidelines by member institutions. Support Care Cancer. 2016 Feb.24(2):929-932. Pubmedid: 26227917.
- Portman D, Thirlwell S. Perspectives, Progress, and Opportunities for Palliative Care in Oncology. Cancer Control. 2015 Oct.22(4):382-384. Pubmedid: 26678964.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.