Find a Doctor Search
Dr. Perez specializes as an oncologist who utilizes radiation therapy to treat patients with lung cancer and other thoracic malignancies including mesothelioma and thymoma. This radiation therapy includes the use of advanced techniques such as stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT), image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT), and intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) to deliver treatment, as appropriate in both curative and palliative circumstances. Dr. Perez is interested in integration of radiation therapy with novel systemic agents including immunotherapeutics for the treatment of patients with lung cancers and mesothelioma. Additionally, he has a strong interest in combining each patient’s clinical situation with detailed information regarding the molecular makeup of their tumor to improve delivery of personalized radiation therapy for patients with thoracic malignancies. Dr. Perez earned his medical degree and completed his residency in Radiation Oncology at Duke University School of Medicine.
Education & Training
- Duke University School of Medicine - Radiation Oncology
- Duke University School of Medicine - MD
CLINICAL TRIAL 18555
A Randomized Phase II/III Trial of Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation with or without Hippocampal Avoidance for Small Cell Lung Cancer
CLINICAL TRIAL 18914
Consolidative Ipilimumab and Nivolumab with Thoracic Radiotherapy after Platinum Based Chemotherapy for Patients with Extensive-Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer
Intervention: BMS-936558 (Nivolumab); Ipilimumab; Nivolumab; Yervoy (Ipilimumab)
CLINICAL TRIAL 18428
A Randomized Phase II Study of Individualized Combined Modality Therapy for Stage III Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC)
Intervention: Crizotinib; Erlotinib; Paraplatin (carboplatin); Tarceva (Erlotinib); Taxol (paclitaxel); Xalkori (Crizotinib); carboplatin; cisplatin; etoposide; paclitaxel
If you believe you are eligible for one of these trials or studies, please call
- Yuan Z, Fromm A, Ahmed KA, Grass GD, Yang GQ, Oliver DE, Dilling TJ, Antonia SJ, Perez BA. Radiotherapy Rescue of a Nivolumab-Refractory Immune Response in a Patient with PD-L1-Negative Metastatic Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Lung. J Thorac Oncol. 2017 Sep;12(9):e135-e136. Pubmedid: 28502722.
- Ahmed KA, Grass GD, Creelan B, Gray J, Kim S, Dilling TJ, Antonia SJ, Perez BA. Tolerability and Safety of Thoracic Radiation and Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors Among Patients with Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017 May;98(1):224. Pubmedid: 28586976.
- Ahmed KA, Kim S, Arrington J, Naghavi AO, Dilling TJ, Creelan BC, Antonia SJ, Caudell JJ, Harrison LB, Sahebjam S, Gray JE, Etame AB, Johnstone PA, Yu M, Perez BA. Outcomes targeting the PD-1/PD-L1 axis in conjunction with stereotactic radiation for patients with non-small cell lung cancer brain metastases. J Neurooncol. 2017 Jun;133(2):331-338. Pubmedid: 28466250.
- Kelsey CR, Christensen JD, Chino JP, Adamson J, Ready NE, Perez BA. Adaptive planning using positron emission tomography for locally advanced lung cancer: A feasibility study. Pract Radiat Oncol. 2017 Jan;6(2):96-104. Pubmedid: 26723555.
- Ahmed KA, Creelan BC, Kim S, Dilling TJ, Perez BA. Safety and Tolerability of Extracranial Radiation Therapy and Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors Among Patients With Metastatic Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016 Oct;96(2S):S201. Pubmedid: 27675781.
- Grass GD, Naghavi AO, Frakes JM, Perez BA, Dilling TJ. Treatment of Stage III Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Patients With Concurrent Chemotherapy and Radiation (70 Gy): Equivalent or Superior to 60 or 74 Gy of RTOG 0617?. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016 Oct;96(2S):E428-E429. Pubmedid: 27674664.
- Abuodeh YA, Naghavi AO, DeMarco M, Tonner B, Feygelman V, Stevens CW, Perez BA, Dilling TJ. Quantitatively Excessive Normal Tissue Toxicity and Poor Target Coverage in the PORT Meta-Analysis (MA): A Dosimetric Study. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016 Oct;96(2S):E442. Pubmedid: 27674703.
- Ahmed KA, Berglund AE, Welsh EA, Naghavi AO, Perez BA, Dilling TJ, Eschrich SA, Torres-Roca JF. Differences in the Radiosensitivity Index (RSI) Between Lung Metastases Based Upon Primary Histology. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016 Oct;96(2S):S68. Pubmedid: 27675988.
- Moding EJ, Castle KD, Perez BA, Oh P, Min HD, Norris H, Ma Y, Cardona DM, Lee CL, Kirsch DG. Tumor cells, but not endothelial cells, mediate eradication of primary sarcomas by stereotactic body radiation therapy. Sci Transl Med. 2015 Mar;7(278):278ra34. Pubmedid: 25761890. Pmcid: PMC4360135.
- Tchekmedyian N, Gray JE, Creelan BC, Chiappori AA, Beg AA, Soliman H, Perez BA, Antonia SJ. Propelling Immunotherapy Combinations Into the Clinic. Oncology (Williston Park). 2015 Dec;29(12):990-1002. Pubmedid: 26680224.
- Perez BA, Ghafoori AP, Lee CL, Johnston SM, Li Y, Moroshek JG, Ma Y, Mukherjee S, Kim Y, Badea CT, Kirsch DG. Assessing the radiation response of lung cancer with different gene mutations using genetically engineered mice. Front Oncol. 2013 Apr;3:72. Pubmedid: 23565506. Pmcid: PMC3613757.
- Kirsch DG, Grimm J, Guimaraes AR, Wojtkiewicz GR, Perez BA, Santiago PM, Anthony NK, Forbes T, Doppke K, Weissleder R, Jacks T. Imaging primary lung cancers in mice to study radiation biology. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 Mar;76(4):973-977. Pubmedid: 20206017. Pmcid: PMC2847457.
- Johnston SM, Perez BA, Kirsch DG, Badea CT. Phase-selective image reconstruction of the lungs in small animals using Micro-CT. Proc SPIE Int Soc Opt Eng. 2010 Feb;7622:76223G.1-76223G.9. Pubmedid: 21243034. Pmcid: PMC3018736.