Notice to Our Patients Regarding a Stolen Briefcase. Learn More
Find a Doctor
Alec Chau, MD
Program: Diagnostic Imaging and Interventional Radiology
Locations: Moffitt McKinley Outpatient Center
Cancer Focus: Breast Cancer, Ductal Carcinoma In Situ , Inflammatory Breast Cancer , Invasive Ductal Carcinoma , Triple Negative Breast Cancer
Dr. Chau received his MD from University of Florida, College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL. He did his residency at the University of South Florida, Morsani College of Medicine and a Breast Imaging and Ultrasound Fellowship at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute. He joined Moffitt in 2008 as an Assistant Member. Dr. Chau is a dedicated and skilled member of the Breast Imaging team. He is also involved in internal and external grants and clinical trials.
Education & Training
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Moffitt Cancer Center - Breast Imaging & Ultrasound
- University of South Florida, Morsani College of Medicine - Diagnostic Radiology
- University of Florida, College of MedicineMD
- Agosto-Arroyo E, Rosa M, Chau A, Khazai L. Concurrent and mutations in melanoma of unknown origin presenting as a breast mass. SAGE Open Med Case Rep. 2017 May.5. Pubmedid: 28607685. Pmcid: PMC5456025.
- Chai C, Szabunio M, Cook C, Zager J, Messina J, Chau A, Sondak V. Pre-SN Ultrasound-FNAC for Lymph Node Metastases in Melanoma Patients: A Reply. Ann Surg Oncol. 2017 Dec;24(Suppl 3):663-664. Pubmedid: 29134381.
- Khazai L, Chau A, Hoover S, Rosa M. Papillary endothelial hyperplasia arising in the irradiated breast: A diagnostic dilemma. Pathol Res Pract. 2016 Jul;212(7):604-607. Pubmedid: 27157404.
- Chau A, Jafarian N, Rosa M. Male Breast: Clinical and Imaging Evaluations of Benign and Malignant Entities with Histologic Correlation. Am J Med. 2016 Aug;129(8):776-791. Pubmedid: 26844632.
- Adams MC, Falcon S, Mooney BP, Laronga C, Chau A, Drukteinis JS. Short-term imaging follow-up of patients with concordant benign breast core needle biopsies: is it really worth it?. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2014 Nov;20(6):464-469. Pubmedid: 25205024. Pmcid: PMC4463290.
- Lee MC, Joh JE, Chau A. Axillary staging prior to neoadjuvant chemotherapy: the roles of sentinel lymph node biopsy and axillary ultrasonography. Cancer Control. 2012 Oct;19(4):277-285. Pubmedid: 23037495.
- Turaga KK, Chau A, Eatrides JM, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Laronga C, Lee MC. Selective application of routine preoperative axillary ultrasonography reduces costs for invasive breast cancers. Oncologist. 2012 Jan;16(7):942-948. Pubmedid: 21572122. Pmcid: PMC3228129.
- Chai CY, Zager JS, Szabunio MM, Marzban SS, Chau A, Rossi RM, Sondak VK. Preoperative ultrasound is not useful for identifying nodal metastasis in melanoma patients undergoing sentinel node biopsy: preoperative ultrasound in clinically node-negative melanoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Apr;19(4):1100-1106. Pubmedid: 22193886. Pmcid: PMC4504035.
- Lee MC, Eatrides J, Chau A, Han G, Kiluk JV, Khakpour N, Cox CE, Carter WB, Laronga C. Consequences of axillary ultrasound in patients with T2 or greater invasive breast cancers. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011 Jan;18(1):72-77. Pubmedid: 20585876.
- Chau A, Romilly P, Diaz N. Bilateral breast masses. Cancer Control. 2004 Jul;11(4):265. Pubmedid: 15284718.
The Provider Rating is an average of all responses to specific care provider-related questions from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive
different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Comments are gathered from specific care provider-related questions from our Patient Satisfaction Survey . The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. Patients are de-identified for confidentiality and patient privacy.
We post both positive and negative comments from the surveys. We do not post comments that are libelous, slanderous, profane, irrelevant or otherwise inappropriate or may risk the privacy of our patients. A “[…]” in the comments below indicates de-identified patient information or comments that are unrelated to the patient’s experience with the visit to the provider, such as comments related to another provider, about the survey itself, or otherwise completely off-topic.
Not all providers will have a star rating or comments. In order to ensure accuracy of our ratings, we only display ratings for providers who have a minimum of 30 completed from the previous 12 months.Learn more about our patient comments
Provider Ratings and comments are gathered from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. If a provider does not have ratings or comments listed it can be for several reasons, including:
- The provider has not yet received the minimum number of patient satisfaction surveys to be eligible for display. We require a minimum of 30 surveys before we post results to ensure that the rating is statistically reliable and a true reflection of patient satisfaction.
- He or she may be a researcher or other type of provider that does not see patients.
- The provider practices in a specialty or office that does not use the specified surveys currently used for these ratings.