Find a Doctor
Julie Hallanger-Johnson, MD
Program Leader, Endocrine Oncology Program
Program: Endocrine Oncology
Locations: Moffitt Cancer Center
Cancer Types Treated: Adrenal Carcinoma, Thyroid Cancer , Pituitary Microadenoma, Pituitary Macroadenoma, Adrenal Nodule/Mass, Thyroid Nodule/Mass, Pituitary Neoplasm
Dr. Julie Hallanger-Johnson is an Endocrinologist and Program Leader in the Department of Head and Neck-Endocrine Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center. Dr. Hallanger-Johnson received her MD degree from the University of North Dakota School of Medicine. She completed an Internal Medicine Residency and Fellowship in Endocrinology and Metabolism at Mayo Clinic, Graduate School of Medicine in Rochester, MN. She then was a Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND. Dr. Hallanger-Johnson is a Clinical Educator Endocrinologist, with a particular interest in thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer. She has extensive experience in the diagnosis and evaluation of thyroid disease, and carries the Endocrine Certification in Neck Ultrasound (ECNU). Dr. Hallanger-Johnson is interested in the use of molecular markers and ultrasound information to guide decision-making in the evaluation of thyroid nodules, and the corresponding clinical outcomes research. She is also interested in systems improvement by creating timely and efficient pathways for patient care.
Education & Training
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
- Internal Medicine
- Mayo Graduate School of Medicine - Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Mayo Graduate School of Medicine - Internal Medicine
- University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences - MD
CLINICAL TRIAL 18855
Multicenter, Open-label, Phase 1, Dose-escalation,Cohort-expansion, First-in-Human Study of KHK2455 Administered as Monotherapy and in Combination with Mogamulizumab (KW-0761) in Adult Subjects with Locally Advanced or Metastatic Solid Tumors
Intervention: KHK2455; KW-0761 (Mogamulizumab); Mogamulizumab
CLINICAL TRIAL 19442
Adaptive Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor Therapy In Patients With Advanced Progressive Thyroid Cancer
Condition: Head & Neck
Intervention: BAY 43-9006 (Sorafenib); Cabozantinib (XL 184); E7080 (Lenvatinib); Lenvatinib (Lenvima); Sorafenib; Vandetanib
CLINICAL TRIAL 19637
A Prospective Randomized Study of a Personalized Approach to the Inpatient Management of Hospitalized Oncology Patients with Hyperglycemia
CLINICAL TRIAL 19818
A Phase 3, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Cabozantinib (XL184) in Subjects with Radioiodine-Refractory Differentiated Thyroid Cancer Who Have Progressed after Prior VEGFR-Targeted Therapy
Condition: Head & Neck
Intervention: Cabozantinib (XL 184); Placebo
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Thompson ZJ, Otto KJ, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Chung CH, Centeno BA, McIver B. Association of Tumor Size With Histologic and Clinical Outcomes Among Patients With Cytologically Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018 Sep;144(9):788-795. Pubmedid: 30027226. Pmcid: PMC6233620.
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Thompson ZJ, Sharpe SC, Tarasova VD, Otto KJ, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Wadsworth JT, Wenig BM, Chung CH, Centeno BA, McIver B. Cancer Risk Associated with Nuclear Atypia in Cytologically Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Thyroid. 2018 Feb;28(2):210-219. Pubmedid: 29160163.
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Thompson ZJ, Leon ME, Otto KJ, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Wadsworth JT, Chung CH, Centeno BA, McIver B. Impact of oncogene panel results on surgical management of cytologically indeterminate thyroid nodules. Head Neck. 2018 Aug;40(8):1812-1823. Pubmedid: 29624786.
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Thompson ZJ, Leon ME, Otto KJ, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Wadsworth JT, Wenig BM, Chung CH, Centeno BA, McIver B. Cancer Risk Stratification of Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules: A Cytological Approach. Thyroid. 2017 Oct;27(10):1277-1284. Pubmedid: 28806881. Pmcid: PMC6112164.
- Valderrabano P, Khazai L, Leon ME, Thompson ZJ, Ma Z, Chung CH, Hallanger-Johnson JE, Otto KJ, Rogers KD, Centeno B, McIver B. Evaluation of ThyroSeq v2 performance in thyroid nodules with indeterminate cytology. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2017 Mar;24(3):127-136. Pubmedid: 28104680.
- Reddi HV, Driscoll CB, Madde P, Milosevic D, Hurley RM, McDonough SJ, Hallanger-Johnson J, McIver B, Eberhardt NL. Redifferentiation and induction of tumor suppressors miR-122 and miR-375 by the PAX8/PPARγ fusion protein inhibits anaplastic thyroid cancer: a novel therapeutic strategy. Cancer Gene Ther. 2013 May;20(5):267-275. Pubmedid: 23598436.
- Khoo TK, Baker CH, Hallanger-Johnson J, Tom AM, Grant CS, Reading CC, Sebo TJ, Morris JC. Comparison of ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy with core-needle biopsy in the evaluation of thyroid nodules. Endocr Pract. 2008 May;14(4):426-431. Pubmedid: 18558594.
- Hallanger Johnson JE, Kearns AE, Doran PM, Khoo TK, Wermers RA. Fluoride-related bone disease associated with habitual tea consumption. Mayo Clin Proc. 2007 Jun;82(6):719-724. Pubmedid: 17550752.