Patient and Family Advisory Program
Moffitt’s Patient and Family Advisory Program was established in 2005 to bring the patient and family perspective into everything we do at Moffitt. The program is dedicated to strengthening collaboration between patients and family members and the health care team so as to enhance Moffitt’s ability to deliver the highest standard of safe, comprehensive and compassionate health care.
The program includes:
- A Patient and Family Advisory Council composed of patient and family advisors, as well as clinicians and administrators.
- Patient and Family Advisors integrated into Moffitt Committees, initiatives and projects
- A quarterly patient and family newsletter – PARTNERS
- Coffee Connections for patients and family members held three times a month.
- Peer visitors who are patients and family members who talk with others and share experiences related to cancer diagnoses and treatment.
The Patient and Family Advisory Council
The Patient and Family Advisory Council, facilitated by patient and family advisor co-chairs, includes 15 patients and family members, who serve two year terms. The council also includes key Moffitt Cancer Center administrators and staff members, including representation from clinic administration, hospital administration, patient experience, patient support services and nursing.
The Council serves as a “voice” for patients who have received cancer treatment at Moffitt and their family members. Members work alongside doctors, nurses, other health care providers and administrators to:
- Provide information about needs and concerns
- Work with staff to make changes that impact patients and families
- Participate in the design of patient care areas
- Assist in the planning of new patient-related programs
- Serve as a resource on a wide variety of issues, services and policies
Patient- and Family-Centered Care
The Patient & Family Advisory Program is based on the core concepts of Patient- and Family-Centered Care, which is an approach to the planning, delivery, and evaluation of health care that is grounded in mutually beneficial partnerships among patients, families and health care providers. It is founded on the understanding that the family plays a vital role in ensuring the health and well-being of patients of all ages. In Patient- and Family-Centered Care, patients and families define their "family" and determine how they will participate in care and decision-making. The four core concepts of Patient- and Family-Centered Care are:
Dignity & Respect
Health care providers listen to and honor patient and family perspectives and choices. Patient and family knowledge, values, beliefs and cultural backgrounds are incorporated into care planning and decision-making.
Health care providers communicate and share complete and unbiased information with patients and families in ways that are affirming and useful. Patients and families receive timely, complete, accurate information in order to effectively participate in care and decision-making.
Patients and families are encouraged and supported in participating in care and decision-making at the level they choose.
Patients, families and providers collaborate in policy and program development, implementation and assessment; in health care facility design; and in professional education, as well as in the delivery of care.
To find out more about the Institute for Patient and Family Centered Care, please visit www.ipfcc.org.
*Reprinted with the permission of the Institute for Patient- and Family-Centered Care.
Become an Advisor As a patient or family advisor, you would partner with other advisors, health care providers and staff to raise issues, communicate patient and family concerns and help with problem-solving, with the goal of improving the patient experience and our services. When patient and family advisors work together with Moffitt staff, faculty and administrators, the health care experience can be improved for everyone. Learn more about becoming an advisor. Apply here.
Become a Peer Visitor As a peer visitor, with specialized training and support, you would visit and relate with other patients and family members and share experiences related to the cancer journey.
If you would like to be involved in making Moffitt the best that it can be for all patients and families, please contact us for more information.
Read our PARTNERS Newsletter
- PARTNERS Newsletter Fall 2018
- PARTNERS Newsletter Fall 2018 en Español (pdf)
- PARTNERS Newsletter Summer 2018 (pdf)
- PARTNERS Newsletter Winter 2018 (pdf)
- PARTNERS Newsletter Winter 2018 en Español (pdf)
- PARTNERS Newsletter Fall 2017 (pdf)
- PARTNERS Newsletter Spring 2017 (pdf)
- PARTNERS Newsletter Spring 2017 en Español (pdf)