Thoracic Oncology Program
Moffitt Cancer Center’s Thoracic Oncology Program specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer, thymoma, mesothelioma, tracheal cancer, Pancoast tumors and other thoracic malignancies. Because of our exclusive focus on this particular range of cancers, we’re able to provide each patient with an individualized treatment recommendation that gives them the best possible prognosis – not to mention the best possible quality of life. Our survival rates routinely exceed national averages, a product of our exceptional level of expertise and multispecialty approach to treatment.
Our Thoracic Oncology Program is based on a collaboration of a number of experienced specialists, including medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pulmonologists, pathologists and thoracic surgeons. This diverse team provides a comprehensive range of services; in a single clinic, patients can access:
- Diagnostic and staging tests, including pathology and imaging services with results interpreted by radiologists who specialize in thoracic readings
- Molecular tumor profiling to determine the most promising treatments for each patient’s unique genetic tumor makeup
- Chemotherapy, including oral and intravenous options and innovative drug combinations
- Radiation therapy, including stereotactic precision-targeted radiation delivery techniques
- Surgery, including minimally invasive, video-assisted and robotic procedures
- Supportive care, including nutrition consultations, pulmonology support, smoking cessation and pain management
- Screening services, including low-dose CT scanning and multi-specialist tumor board peer reviews, for which we have been named a Screening Center of Excellence by the Lung Cancer Alliance
- Access to the latest clinical trials, including immunotherapy and targeted therapy treatments. To learn more about the clinical trials currently available at Moffitt, contact us at 813-745-6100 or 1-800-679-0775 (toll-free) or submit a clinical trials inquiry form.
Our advanced program is also at the forefront of thoracic oncology research, with an on-site lab and bench-to-bedside approach that allows our patients to benefit from the latest breakthroughs as they occur. In 2008, Moffitt earned one of the National Cancer Institute’s coveted Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) grants – one of only six SPORE grants to be awarded to a U.S. cancer center for lung cancer research.
Referring a patient to Moffitt’s Thoracic Oncology Program is easy. Physicians can submit a referral by completing our online form or contacting a physician liaison for assistance or support. Our team responds to most referrals on the same business day that they were received as part of our commitment to maintaining short referral times.
Helpful Link: Patients from St. Petersburg, FL