Brain Tumor Surgery for Patients from Orlando, FL
Patients who are considering brain tumor surgery are welcome to consult with the cancer experts at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. The specialists in our Neuro-Oncology Program focus exclusively on treating tumors of the central nervous system. Our multispecialty team includes neurosurgeons, medical oncologists, neurologists and other medical professionals who work collaboratively to develop individualized treatment plans to serve the unique needs of our patients. Through our extensive experience, we have achieved successful outcomes for many patients with brain cancer, helping them to enjoy better-quality lives. We welcome local patients as well as those from Orlando and other Florida cities.
Moffitt’s team may recommend brain tumor surgery after considering many complex factors, including the size, type and location of a tumor and a patient’s general health. Our surgeons perform the following types of brain tumor surgery:
- Biopsy – A tissue sample is removed from a tumor for analysis.
- Stereotactic biopsy – Computer-assisted technology is used to guide a biopsy procedure.
- Craniotomy – A section of bone is removed from the skull to allow access to a tumor. The bone is replaced after the tumor is removed.
- Awake craniotomy – During this procedure, a patient remains awake to allow for enhanced monitoring.
- Craniectomy – A piece of skull is removed during surgery to help alleviate pressure and swelling. The bone may be replaced after the swelling subsides and the patient’s condition stabilizes.
- Shunt procedure – A shunt (narrow, flexible tube) is inserted on a temporary or permanent basis to remove excess fluid that is pressuring the brain.
- Neuroendoscopy – A small opening is created in the skull to allow access to a tumor with an endoscope.
- Endonasal endoscopy – Using image guidance, an endoscope is inserted through the nose and sinuses to remove a tumor or collect a tissue sample for a biopsy.
- Laser ablation – This minimally invasive technique uses an MRI-guided laser to treat small tumors.
Moffitt is a high-volume cancer center and our surgeons perform numerous brain tumor surgery procedures each year. Many patients travel to Moffitt from Orlando, FL, seeking the comprehensive treatment and supportive care services we offer. For our out-of-town patients, we can provide information on local accommodations that meet or exceed our high standards for hygiene and infection control. Many of these hotels also offer discounted rates to our patients as well as shuttle services to and from our cancer center.
Patients from Orlando, FL, who are interested in discussing their brain tumor surgery options at Moffitt can fill out our new patient registration form online or call 1-888-663-3488. No referral is necessary to make an appointment.