Find a Researcher Search
Jianguo Tao, MD, PhD
Academic Rank: Senior MemberEmail
Dr. Tao is a trained hematopathologist and physician-scientist who is well versed in both basic and translational studies in hematologic tumors, with special interest and emphasis in B-cell malignancies: genetic and epigenetic mechanisms of microenvironment-induced survival and drug resistance in B lymphomas. For the last decade, his laboratory has independently studied the role of stroma-mediated B-cell lymphoma survival, drug resistance and tumor progression. His team has demonstrated that the lymphoma “tumor microenvironment” is a critical determinant for lymphoma initiation, progression, response to therapy, and drug resistance. His long-term objective is to characterize the pathobiology of B-cell lymphomas, especially aggressive type B cell malignancies. He is interested and experienced in identifying major molecular determinants for drug response and resistance, as well as novel targets for overcoming or preventing drug resistance evolution in mantle cell lymphoma and double hit lymphoma (DHL).
- Hematopathology and Laboratory Medicine
- Malignant Hematology
- Cancer Biology and Evolution Program
Education & Training
- University of Miami School of Medicine, PhD - Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology
- Henan College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, MD
- Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Resident - Pathology
- University of Pennsylvania, Fellow - Hematopathology
- Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Postdoctoral Fellow - Hematopathology
- New York Hospital, Postdoctoral Fellow - Hematopathology Rotation
- Brigham and Women's Hospital, Postdoctoral Fellow - Hematology/Oncology
- Peking Union College, MS - Pathology and Physiology
Dr. Tao’s laboratory focuses on: 1) functional genomics and biomarkers of lymphoma; including microRNA expression profile in selected lymphoma subtypes (mantle cell lymphoma and viral-associated lymphomas) to determine possible involvement of microRNAs in the pathogenesis of non-Hodgkin lymphoma and their possible role in diagnosis, prognosis and therapeutic target discovery, 2) microenvironment regulation of molecular pathogenesis of lymphoma; his laboratory is studying the normal development of germinal center B cells.His team aims to determine microenvironment regulation of normal and abnormal transcriptional factors and miRNAs involved in B-cell differentiation, activation and lymphomagenesis, 3) Microenvironment regulation of drug resistance of lymphoma. The team’s recent studies have shown that adhesion of lymphoma cells to bone marrow stromal cells significantly increases cellular resistance to a variety of cytotoxic drugs and induces cell cycle arrest. They have extended this research to determine the role of the interaction between lymph node stromal cell and lymphoma cells as well as miRNAs in response to therapy and to further elucidate the molecular mechanisms by which stroma regulates lymphoma cell survival.
- Shah B, Zhao X, Silva AS, Shain KH, Tao J. Resistance to Ibrutinib in B Cell Malignancies: One Size Does Not Fit All. Trends Cancer. 2018 Mar;4(3):197-206. Pubmedid: 29506670.
- Jiang H, Lwin T, Zhao X, Ren Y, Li G, Moscinski L, Shah B, Tao J. Venetoclax as a single agent and in combination with PI3K-MTOR1/2 kinase inhibitors against ibrutinib sensitive and resistant mantle cell lymphoma. Brit J Haematol. 2018 Jan. Pubmedid: 29383700.
- Zhao X, Tao J. BRD4: epigenetic origin and target of CTCL. Blood. 2018 Feb;131(7):712-713. Pubmedid: 29449301.
- Zhao X, Lwin T, Silva A, Shah B, Tao J, Fang B, Zhang L, Fu K, Bi C, Li J, Jiang H, Meads MB, Jacobson T, Silva M, Distler A, Darville L, Zhang L, Han Y, Rebatchouk D, Di Liberto M, Moscinski LC, Koomen JM, Dalton WS, Shain KH, Wang M, Sotomayor E, Tao J. Unification of de novo and acquired ibrutinib resistance in mantle cell lymphoma. Nat Commun. 2017 Apr;8:14920. Pubmedid: 28416797. Pmcid: PMC5399304.
- Srikumar T, Markow M, Centeno B, Hoffe S, Tao J, Fernandez H, Strosberg J, Shibata D. Synchronous rectal adenocarcinoma and splenic marginal zone lymphoma. Curr Oncol. 2016 Feb;23(1):e70-e74. Pubmedid: 26966416. Pmcid: PMC4754072.
- Shain KH, Dalton WS, Tao J. The tumor microenvironment shapes hallmarks of mature B-cell malignancies. Oncogene. 2015 Sep;34(36):4673-4682. Pubmedid: 25639873. Pmcid: PMC4688902.
- Wang GG, Konze KD, Tao J. Polycomb genes, miRNA, and their deregulation in B-cell malignancies. Blood. 2015 Feb;125(8):1217-1225. Pubmedid: 25568352. Pmcid: PMC4335077.
- Tao J, Zhang X, Lancet J, Bennett JM, Cai L, Papenhausen P, Moscinski L, Zhang L. Concurrence of B-lymphoblastic leukemia and myeloproliferative neoplasm with copy neutral loss of heterozygosity at chromosome 1p harboring a MPL W515S mutation. Cancer Genet. 2015 Feb;207(10-12):489-494. Pubmedid: 25453399.
- Cheng F, Lienlaf M, Wang HW, Perez-Villarroel P, Lee C, Woan K, Rock-Klotz J, Sahakian E, Woods D, Pinilla-Ibarz J, Kalin J, Tao J, Hancock W, Kozikowski A, Seto E, Villagra A, Sotomayor EM. A novel role for histone deacetylase 6 in the regulation of the tolerogenic STAT3/IL-10 pathway in APCs. J Immunol. 2014 Sep;193(6):2850-2862. Pubmedid: 25108026. Pmcid: PMC4157123.
- Tao J, Zhao X, Tao J. c-MYC-miRNA circuitry: a central regulator of aggressive B-cell malignancies. Cell Cycle. 2014 Nov;13(2):191-198. Pubmedid: 24394940. Pmcid: PMC3906236.
- Tang CH, Ranatunga S, Kriss CL, Cubitt CL, Tao J, Pinilla-Ibarz JA, Del Valle JR, Hu CC. Inhibition of ER stress-associated IRE-1/XBP-1 pathway reduces leukemic cell survival. J Clin Invest. 2014 Jun;124(6):2585-2598. Pubmedid: 24812669. Pmcid: PMC4038575.
- Shain KH, Tao J. The B-cell receptor orchestrates environment-mediated lymphoma survival and drug resistance in B-cell malignancies. Oncogene. 2014 Aug;33(32):4107-4113. Pubmedid: 24037527. Pmcid: PMC4669099.
- Lwin T, Zhao X, Cheng F, Zhang X, Huang A, Shah B, Zhang Y, Moscinski LC, Choi YS, Kozikowski AP, Bradner JE, Dalton WS, Sotomayor E, Tao J. A microenvironment-mediated c-Myc/miR-548m/HDAC6 amplification loop in non-Hodgkin B cell lymphomas. J Clin Invest. 2013 Nov;123(11):4612-4626. Pubmedid: 24216476. Pmcid: PMC3809771.
- Chen X, Eksioglu EA, Zhou J, Zhang L, Djeu J, Fortenbery N, Epling-Burnette P, Van Bijnen S, Dolstra H, Cannon J, Youn JI, Donatelli SS, Qin D, De Witte T, Tao J, Wang H, Cheng P, Gabrilovich DI, List A, Wei S. Induction of myelodysplasia by myeloid-derived suppressor cells. J Clin Invest. 2013 Nov;123(11):4595-4611. Pubmedid: 24216507. Pmcid: PMC3809779.
- Zhao X, Lwin T, Zhang X, Huang A, Wang J, Marquez VE, Chen-Kiang S, Dalton WS, Sotomayor E, Tao J. Disruption of the MYC-miRNA-EZH2 loop to suppress aggressive B-cell lymphoma survival and clonogenicity. Leukemia. 2013 Dec;27(12):2341-2350. Pubmedid: 23538750. Pmcid: PMC4015113.
- Zhao X, Zhang X, Tao J. MYC and MiR: vicious circle. Oncotarget. 2013 Dec;4(12):2168-2169. Pubmedid: 24318653. Pmcid: PMC3926816.
- Cheng F, Wang H, Horna P, Wang Z, Shah B, Sahakian E, Woan KV, Villagra A, Pinilla-Ibarz J, Sebti S, Smith M, Tao J, Sotomayor EM. Stat3 inhibition augments the immunogenicity of B-cell lymphoma cells, leading to effective antitumor immunity. Cancer Res. 2012 Sep;72(17):4440-4448. Pubmedid: 22728650. Pmcid: PMC3990429.
- Zhang X, Zhao X, Fiskus W, Lin J, Lwin T, Rao R, Zhang Y, Chan JC, Fu K, Marquez VE, Chen-Kiang S, Moscinski LC, Seto E, Dalton WS, Wright KL, Sotomayor E, Bhalla K, Tao J. Coordinated silencing of MYC-mediated miR-29 by HDAC3 and EZH2 as a therapeutic target of histone modification in aggressive B-Cell lymphomas. Cancer Cell. 2012 Oct;22(4):506-523. Pubmedid: 23079660. Pmcid: PMC3973134.
- Fiskus W, Rao R, Balusu R, Ganguly S, Tao J, Sotomayor E, Mudunuru U, Smith JE, Hembruff SL, Atadja P, Marquez VE, Bhalla K. Superior efficacy of a combined epigenetic therapy against human mantle cell lymphoma cells. Clin Cancer Res. 2012 Nov;18(22):6227-6238. Pubmedid: 22932665. Pmcid: PMC4113119.
- Zhang X, Chen X, Lin J, Lwin T, Wright G, Moscinski LC, Dalton WS, Seto E, Wright K, Sotomayor E, Tao J. Myc represses miR-15a/miR-16-1 expression through recruitment of HDAC3 in mantle cell and other non-Hodgkin B-cell lymphomas. Oncogene. 2012 Jun;31(24):3002-3008. Pubmedid: 22002311. Pmcid: PMC3982396.
- Lin J, Lwin T, Zhao JJ, Tam W, Choi YS, Moscinski LC, Dalton WS, Sotomayor EM, Wright KL, Tao J. Follicular dendritic cell-induced microRNA-mediated upregulation of PRDM1 and downregulation of BCL-6 in non-Hodgkin's B-cell lymphomas. Leukemia. 2011 Jan;25(1):145-152. Pubmedid: 20966935. Pmcid: PMC3083119.
- Rao R, Nalluri S, Fiskus W, Savoie A, Buckley KM, Ha K, Balusu R, Joshi A, Coothankandaswamy V, Tao J, Sotomayor E, Atadja P, Bhalla KN. Role of CAAT/enhancer binding protein homologous protein in panobinostat-mediated potentiation of bortezomib-induced lethal endoplasmic reticulum stress in mantle cell lymphoma cells. Clin Cancer Res. 2010 Oct;16(19):4742-4754. Pubmedid: 20647473. Pmcid: PMC2948590.
- Hartley MA, Tao J, Baz R. Merkel cell carcinoma in the peripheral blood of a patient with concomitant chronic lymphocytic leukemia and multiple myeloma. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Mar;28(7):e113-e114. Pubmedid: 20008639.
- Desai S, Maurin M, Smith MA, Bolick SC, Dessureault S, Tao J, Sotomayor E, Wright KL. PRDM1 is required for mantle cell lymphoma response to bortezomib. Mol Cancer Res. 2010 Jun;8(6):907-918. Pubmedid: 20530581. Pmcid: PMC2891394.
- Lwin T, Lin J, Choi YS, Zhang X, Moscinski LC, Wright KL, Sotomayor EM, Dalton WS, Tao J. Follicular dendritic cell-dependent drug resistance of non-Hodgkin lymphoma involves cell adhesion-mediated Bim down-regulation through induction of microRNA-181a. Blood. 2010 Dec;116(24):5228-5236. Pubmedid: 20841506. Pmcid: PMC3012540.
- Zhao JJ, Lin J, Lwin T, Yang H, Guo J, Kong W, Dessureault S, Moscinski LC, Rezania D, Dalton WS, Sotomayor E, Tao J, Cheng JQ. microRNA expression profile and identification of miR-29 as a prognostic marker and pathogenetic factor by targeting CDK6 in mantle cell lymphoma. Blood. 2010 Apr;115(13):2630-2639. Pubmedid: 20086245. Pmcid: PMC2852365.
- Rao R, Lee P, Fiskus W, Yang Y, Joshi R, Wang Y, Buckley K, Balusu R, Chen J, Koul S, Joshi A, Upadhyay S, Tao J, Sotomayor E, Bhalla KN. Co-treatment with heat shock protein 90 inhibitor 17-dimethylaminoethylamino-17-demethoxygeldanamycin (DMAG) and vorinostat: a highly active combination against human mantle cell lymphoma (MCL) cells. Cancer Biol Ther. 2009 Jul;8(13):1273-1280. Pubmedid: 19440035. Pmcid: PMC2766923.
- Lwin T, Crespo LA, Wu A, Dessureault S, Shu HB, Moscinski LC, Sotomayor E, Dalton WS, Tao J. Lymphoma cell adhesion-induced expression of B cell-activating factor of the TNF family in bone marrow stromal cells protects non-Hodgkin's B lymphoma cells from apoptosis. Leukemia. 2009 Jan;23(1):170-177. Pubmedid: 18843286.
- Lwin T, Hazlehurst LA, Dessureault S, Lai R, Bai W, Sotomayor E, Moscinski LC, Dalton WS, Tao J. Cell adhesion induces p27Kip1-associated cell-cycle arrest through down-regulation of the SCFSkp2 ubiquitin ligase pathway in mantle-cell and other non-Hodgkin B-cell lymphomas. Blood. 2007 Sep;110(5):1631-1638. Pubmedid: 17502456. Pmcid: PMC1975846.
- Alekshun T, Tao J, Sokol L. Aggressive T-cell large granular lymphocyte leukemia: A case report and review of the literature. Am J Hematol. 2007 Jun;82(6):481-485. Pubmedid: 17205534.
- Lwin T, Hazlehurst LA, Li Z, Dessureault S, Sotomayor E, Moscinski LC, Dalton WS, Tao J. Bone marrow stromal cells prevent apoptosis of lymphoma cells by upregulation of anti-apoptotic proteins associated with activation of NF-kappaB (RelB/p52) in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma cells. Leukemia. 2007 Jul;21(7):1521-1531. Pubmedid: 17476277.
- George P, Bali P, Cohen P, Tao J, Guo F, Sigua C, Vishvanath A, Fiskus W, Scuto A, Annavarapu S, Moscinski L, Bhalla K. Cotreatment with 17-allylamino-demethoxygeldanamycin and FLT-3 kinase inhibitor PKC412 is highly effective against human acute myelogenous leukemia cells with mutant FLT-3. Cancer Res. 2004 May;64(10):3645-3652. Pubmedid: 15150124.
- Bali P, George P, Cohen P, Tao J, Guo F, Sigua C, Vishvanath A, Scuto A, Annavarapu S, Fiskus W, Moscinski L, Atadja P, Bhalla K. Superior activity of the combination of histone deacetylase inhibitor LAQ824 and the FLT-3 kinase inhibitor PKC412 against human acute myelogenous leukemia cells with mutant FLT-3. Clin Cancer Res. 2004 Aug;10(15):4991-4997. Pubmedid: 15297399.
- Guo F, Sigua C, Tao J, Bali P, George P, Li Y, Wittmann S, Moscinski L, Atadja P, Bhalla K. Cotreatment with histone deacetylase inhibitor LAQ824 enhances Apo-2L/tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis inducing ligand-induced death inducing signaling complex activity and apoptosis of human acute leukemia cells. Cancer Res. 2004 Apr;64(7):2580-2589. Pubmedid: 15059915.
- Nimmanapalli R, Fuino L, Bali P, Gasparetto M, Glozak M, Tao J, Moscinski L, Smith C, Wu J, Jove R, Atadja P, Bhalla K. Histone deacetylase inhibitor LAQ824 both lowers expression and promotes proteasomal degradation of Bcr-Abl and induces apoptosis of imatinib mesylate-sensitive or -refractory chronic myelogenous leukemia-blast crisis cells. Cancer Res. 2003 Aug;63(16):5126-5135. Pubmedid: 12941844.
- Tao J, Flaherty K, Bagg A. Unusual hematologic malignancies. Case 1. Hematologic malignancy presenting with diarrhea and bony lesions: systemic mastocytosis. J Clin Oncol. 2002 Sep;20(17):3737-3739. Pubmedid: 12202674.