Lung Cancer Treatment Information for Residents of Gulf Coast, FL
Residents of Gulf Coast, Florida, can receive the latest advances in lung cancer treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. Moffitt patients benefit from the expertise of our multispecialty tumor board which collaborates to develop individualized treatment plans for each of our patients. Our unique approach to treatment, robust clinical trial program and status as a high-volume cancer center, are just a few of the reasons why so many lung cancer patients from across the state and around the country choose to travel to Moffitt for treatment.
The best course of lung cancer treatment will depend on several factors, such as the extent and cellular makeup of the cancer and the overall health of the patient. The physicians within Moffitt’s Thoracic Oncology Program offer several innovative therapies and procedures to provide each patient with the best chance for a positive outcome and enhanced quality of life. In a single location, we offer:
- Radiation therapy to destroy cancer cells with a targeted radiation source, either a machine outside the body (external radiation therapy) or an implant placed directly into the tumor (brachytherapy).
- Chemotherapy to destroy rapidly dividing cancer cells that may not be surgically removable. This treatment may be administered intravenously or orally.
- Surgery to remove visible tumors, surrounding tissue and/or affected lymph nodes. Some Moffitt patients are candidates for minimally invasive, robotic-assisted surgery.
- Photodynamic therapy to sensitize cancer cells to light and destroy them with a laser.
- Radiofrequency ablation to eliminate cancer cells through targeted heat application.
- Immunotherapy to stimulate the immune system and encourage the natural elimination of cancer cells.
Supportive care services such as counseling, pain management, yoga and acupuncture are also available to help patients cope with the challenges of a lung cancer diagnosis.
We understand that traveling to Moffitt from the Gulf Coast region of Florida to receive lung cancer treatment may not be easy. That’s why we have partnered with several hotels near our cancer center to offer discounted rates to our out-of-town patients and their families. These hotels are committed to providing a hygienic, comfortable and hospitable place for patients to rest and spend time with loved ones.
Medically reviewed by Deanna Grubs, PA.
If you live in Gulf Coast, Florida, and would like to consult with a Moffitt physician regarding your lung cancer treatment options, call 1-888-663-3488 or submit a new patient registration form. No referrals are necessary to become a Moffitt patient.