Glioblastoma surgery is performed with the goal of achieving a “maximum safe resection,” or removing as much of the tumor as possible without causing lasting neurological damage. This requires a significant amount of surgical expertise, as glioblastomas often grow extensively throughout multiple regions of the brain. Because successful surgery can greatly improve a patient’s prognosis and quality of life, it’s crucial for patients to turn to a surgeon who has substantial expertise removing these complex tumors.
At Moffitt Cancer Center, patients can access comprehensive surgical treatment from oncologists who specialize in treating cancers of the brain and spine. Our Neuro-Oncology Program offers many of the latest surgical technologies, including imaging scans to help identify areas of the brain that are responsible for neurological function and should therefore be avoided during surgery. Additionally, Moffitt has surgeons who perform a high volume of glioblastoma surgeries, giving them extensive experience with even the most challenging procedures. Glioblastoma surgery options offered at Moffitt include:
- Debulking surgery – During this type of glioblastoma surgery, a partial resection is performed to remove part of a tumor and reduce pressure within the skull.
- Skull base surgery – During this procedure, the bones that surround the bottom of the brain are temporarily removed while a tumor is resected, then the original bones are put back in place.
- Awake craniotomy – During this operation, a patient interacts with the surgeon while the tumor is removed to ensure no damage is sustained to essential tissues.
- Visualase – During this glioblastoma surgery, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans are used to guide a heated laser probe, which is used to destroy cancerous cells.
- Kyphoplasty – During this procedure, a surgeon fills a weakened or collapsed vertebrae that has sustained significant pressure as a result of a glioblastoma tumor.
Referrals are not required to inquire about glioblastoma surgery at Moffitt. To schedule an appointment with our Neuro-Oncology Program, call 1-888-MOFFITT or submit a new patient registration form online.