The term “best neurosurgeon” can mean different things to different people. If you’re searching for a surgeon to perform your brain surgery in the St. Petersburg, FL, area, you’ll want to make your selection carefully – and only after ensuring that the surgeon you choose can meet your unique needs. You’ve probably heard about Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, and if you haven’t yet paid us a visit, you are encouraged to do so before you make your final treatment decision.
At Moffitt, we emphasize highly individualized cancer treatment, and we firmly believe that this requires candid, one-on-one communication between a surgeon and his or her patient. In other words, your surgeon should take the time to get to know you personally. This is essential in order to help you work together to make the best possible treatment decisions.
As you search for the best neurosurgeon for you in the St. Petersburg, FL, area, consider scheduling consultations with several candidates so that you can learn about and compare each surgeon’s approach and demeanor. The ideal neurosurgeon should:
- Take a detailed medical history to learn about your unique circumstances
- Listen carefully as you discuss your concerns and preferences
- Perform a comprehensive neurological examination
- Recommend appropriate neuroimaging studies and review the results with you
- Educate you about your brain cancer and discuss its likely outcome (both with and without treatment)
- Explain your therapeutic options, along with the relative benefits and risks
- Recommend a specific treatment plan
- Discuss his or her personal experience, as well as the results he or she has achieved, with the treatment proposed for you
Additionally, it is important to keep in mind that neurosurgeons do not operate in a vacuum. At Moffitt, we take a multispecialty approach to brain cancer treatment. In addition to neurosurgeons, the team in our Neuro-Oncology Program includes radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, neurologists, neuroradiologists, neuropathologists and neuropsychologists, among others. These highly focused medical professionals work closely together to help ensure that each patient achieves the best possible outcome and quality of life, as well as the extra peace of mind that comes with having multiple expert opinions.
Of course, you’ll want to work with the best neurosurgeon for you. Come to Moffitt Cancer Center; our Tampa location is especially convenient if you live in St. Petersburg, FL. To get started, request an appointment with a neuro-oncologist by calling 1-888-663-3488 or filling out our new patient registration form online. No referrals are needed.