Molecular Oncology in the News
- Andrew Davis, PhD was awarded the Helmsley Scholarship to attend the Computational Genomics Course at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratories.
- Hayley Ackerman, PhD was awarded best presentation by a junior member at the Department of Molecular Oncology – Research In Progress Seminar Series (RIP).
- Florian Karreth received a Melanoma Research Foundation Mucosal Melanoma Career Development Award.
- Karen Mann is awarded the 2018 Skip Viragh Pancreatic Cancer Action Network Career Development Award to study RBFOX2-mediated splicing regulation in pancreatic cancer progression.
- Michael Mann, PhD was awarded an Moffitt Cancer Center’s American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant (ACS-IRG) Program Award.
- New paper published in Molecular Cancer Research: "TGFß1 Cell Cycle Arrest Is Mediated by Inhibition of MCM Assembly in Rb-deficient Conditions.” (Alexandrow Lab)
- New grant funded by the James and Esther King Program, State of Florida: "Chemoprevention of Lung Cancer in Former Smokers." (Alexandrow Lab)
- Brook Nepon-Sixt (Alexandrow Lab) received award for highest rated Molecular Oncology Research in Progress speaker for senior postdoc category.
- Elsa R. Flores, PhD and Marco Napoli, PhD presented their research at the 8th International p63/p73 Workshop in Frankfurt, Germany.
- Garima Pandey (Postdoc Fellow, Reuther lab) was invited to present her work entitled "The Persistent Survival of MPN Cells to JAK2 Inhibition Is Dependent on SHP2 Activity, Which May Provide a Therapeutic Target to Enhance Current Anti-MPN Therapies” at the American Society of Hematology 60th Annual Meeting in December, 2018 in San Diego, CA
- Ngoc Bui and Andrew Davis successfully defended their PhD dissertations. Congratulations, Drs. Bui and Davis.
- Gary Reuther together with Nicholas Lawrence and Ernst Schonbrunn (both in the Drug Discovery Department) were informed that a second year of funding for their Screen to Lead Program grant from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society was awarded.
- Molecular Oncology trainees presented 17 abstracts at the 2018 Cancer Biology and Evolution Symposium. Congratulations to Ngoc Bui, Ph.D. (Postdoc Fellow, Flores Lab) for receiving an oral presentation award and to Nick Gimbrone (Grad Student, Cress Lab), Xiaobo Li, Ph.D. (Postdoc Fellow, Flores Lab), and Andrew Davis, Ph.D. (Postdoc Fellow, Flores Lab) for receiving poster presentation awards.
- An abstract by Nick Gimbrone (Grad Student, Cress lab) was selected for an oral presentation at the upcoming 2018 Lung Cancer SPORE Workshop.
- Justin Newberg, Ph.D. (labs of Karen Mann and Michael Mann) published a paper in Nucleic Acid Research entitled "SB Driver Analysis: A Sleeping Beauty cancer driver analysis framework for identifying and prioritizing experimentally actionable oncogenes and tumor suppressors."
- Mark Alexandrow, Ph.D. and Nagi Kumar received a long awaited FL-DOH grant which represents a collaboration between Molecular Oncology and Population Sciences. The teams are also looking forward to positive news on another grant application in the near future.
- Congratulations to Doug Cress as the recipient of the Researcher Mentor of the Year award at the 2018 Moffitt Scientific Symposium.
- Molecular Oncology trainees presented 20 abstracts at the 2018 Moffitt Scientific Symposium.
- Marco Napoli, Ph.D., Postdoc Fellow, Flores Lab had his abstract selected for oral presentation at the 2018 Moffitt Scientific Symposium.
- Florian Karreth was awarded a 2018 Miles for Moffitt Milestone grant.
- Congratulations to the Molecular Oncology Research In Progress Seminar Series Award winners for first quarter of 2018:
o Senior Trainee Award to Marco Napoli, Ph.D., Postdoc Fellow, Flores Lab
o Junior Trainee Award to Nicholas Gimbrone, Grad Student, Cress Lab
- Congratulations to the Molecular Oncology Annual Departmental Retreat poster and oral presentation award winners
• Oral presentation award:
o Qing Yin, Ph.D., Postdoc Fellow, Wan Lab
• Poster presentation awards:
o Brook Nepon-Sixt, Ph.D., Postdoc Fellow, Alexandrow Lab
o Ngoc Bui, Grad Student, Flores Lab
o Xiaobo Li, Ph.D., Postdoc Fellow, Flores Lab
o Ioannis Grammatikis, Ph.D., Research Scientist, Flores Lab
o Nate Ward, Ph.D., Postdoc Fellow, DeNicola Lab
- Nick Gimbrone (Cress lab) published a paper in Journal of Thoracic Oncology entitled "Somatic Mutations and Ancestry Markers in Hispanic Lung Cancer Patients." Nick’s paper was highlighted in an Editorial at JTO.
- Melissa Hoffman (Koomen lab) published a paper in the Journal of Proteome Research entitled "Comparison of Quantitative Mass Spectrometry Platforms for Monitoring Kinase ATP Probe Uptake in Lung Cancer."
- Hussein Abbas (Flores lab) published a chapter in Cancer Research entitled "Distinct TP63 isoform-driven transcriptional signatures predict tumor progression and clinical outcomes."
- Justin Newberg (labs of Karen and Michael Mann) published a paper in Nucleic Acid Research entitled "SBCDDB: Sleeping Beauty Cancer Driver Database for gene discovery in mouse models of human cancers." Check out the SBCDDB here.
- Marco Napoli (Flores lab) published an outlook in Genes & Development entitled "Another case for diet restriction: TAp73-expressing medulloblastomas are stunted by glutamine withdrawal."
- Michael Mann was awarded a Moffitt Skin Cancer SPORE Career Enhancement Program Grant.
- Karen Mann was awarded an American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant.
- Yi Chen (Koomen lab) published a chapter in Methods in Molecular Biology entitled "Multiplexed Liquid Chromatography-Multiple Reaction Monitoring Mass Spectrometry Quantification of Cancer Signaling Proteins."
- Gary Reuther together with Nicholas Lawrence and Ernst Schonbrunn (both in the Drug Discovery Department) were awarded a Screen to Lead Program grant from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
- Justin Newberg, PhD (labs of Karen and Michael Mann), Brook Nepon-Sixt, Ph.D. (Alexandrow Lab), Marco Napoli, Ph.D. (Flores Lab), Rahul Checker, Ph.D. (Flores Lab), Ngoc Bui (Flores Lab), and Andrew Davis (Flores Lab) were awarded poster prizes ad the Moffitt Cancer Biology & Evolution Symposium.
- Molecular Oncology participates in Miles for Moffitt to raise funds for research
- Florian Karreth was awarded a Young Investigator Award from the Melanoma Research Alliance.
- Xiaohua Su (Flores lab) published a chapter in Oncogene entitled "TAp63 suppresses mammary tumorigenesis through regulation of the Hippo pathway."
- Paul Stewart (Koomen lab) published a paper in Proteomics entitled "Relative protein quantification and accessible biology in lung tumor proteomes from four LC-MS/MS discovery platforms."
- Yi Chen (Koomen lab) published a chapter in Proteomics entitled "Quantitative proteomics of breast tumors: Tissue quality assessment to clinical biomarkers."
- 1st Annual Molecular Oncology Department Retreat held at Tampa Palms Golf & Country Club
- Marco Napoli (Flores lab) published a review in the British Journal of Cancer entitled "The p53 family orchestrates the regulation of metabolism: physiological regulation and implications for cancer therapy."