Molecular Oncology in the News
- Molecular Oncology faculty welcome our newest Assistant Member Jennifer Binning, PhD.
- Faculty member Lixin Wan, PhD was named the 2018 Moffitt Junior Faculty of the Year for Basic Science.
- New paper published in Communications Biology (Nature Press): "Myc-Driven Chromatin Accessibility Regulates Cdc45 Assembly into CMG Helicases.” (Alexandrow Lab)
- USF undergraduate student Trent Percy, who conducts research in the Cress Lab, won an award for his presentation at the Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology Department Research Conference.
- Faculty member Karen M. Mann, PhD was featured in the Moffitt Cancer Center publication, 2019 Women In Oncology Magazine.
- Nicholas Gimbrone, Graduate Student in the Cress Lab successfully defends his doctoral dissertation. Congratulations Dr. Gimbrone.
- Third Annual Molecular Oncology Departmental Retreat at ZooTampa at Lowry Park.
- Congratulations to the 2019 Molecular Oncology Annual Departmental Retreat award winners:
• Oral presentation awards:
• Yannis Grammatikis, PhD, Research Scientist, Flores Lab
• Laura Torrente Fernandez, PhD, Postdoc Fellow, DeNicola Lab
• Suman Govindaraju, PhD, Postdoc Fellow, K Mann Lab
• Daniel Lester, Graduate Student, Le-Lau Lab
• Poster presentation awards:
• Aziz Aiders, PhD, Postdoc Fellow, M Mann Lab
• Xiaobo Li, PhD, Postdoc Fellow, Flores Lab
• Lucia Mazzacurati, PhD, Research Scientist, Reuther Lab
• Marco Napoli, PhD, Postdoc Fellow, Flores Lab
• Qing Yin, PhD, Postdoc Fellow, Wan Lab
• Yun Pyo Kang, PhD, Postdoc Fellow, DeNicola Lab
- Drs. Elsa Flores, Michael Mann and Lixin Wan present the 2018 Research-In-Progress Seminar Series Final Wrap up session and Holiday Luncheon.
- Andrew Davis, PhD (Flores Lab) was awarded best presentation by a junior trainee at the Department of Molecular Oncology – Research-In-Progress Seminar Series (RIP).
- Brook Nepon-Sixt, PhD (Alexandrow Lab) and Yannis Grammatikakis, PhD (Flores Lab) received awards for excellence in providing high-quality peer-review and evaluation to presenters throughout 2018 Research-In-Progress Seminar Series.
- Andrew Davis, PhD was awarded the Helmsley Scholarship to attend the Computational Genomics Course at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratories.
- Hayley Ackerman, PhD was awarded best presentation by a junior member at the Department of Molecular Oncology – Research In Progress Seminar Series (RIP).
- Florian Karreth, PhD received a Melanoma Research Foundation Mucosal Melanoma Career Development Award.
- Karen Mann is awarded the 2018 Skip Viragh Pancreatic Cancer Action Network Career Development Award to study RBFOX2-mediated splicing regulation in pancreatic cancer progression.
- Michael Mann, PhD was awarded an Moffitt Cancer Center’s American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant (ACS-IRG) Program Award.
- New paper published in Molecular Cancer Research: "TGFß1 Cell Cycle Arrest Is Mediated by Inhibition of MCM Assembly in Rb-deficient Conditions.” (Alexandrow Lab)
- New grant funded by the James and Esther King Program, State of Florida: "Chemoprevention of Lung Cancer in Former Smokers." (Alexandrow Lab)
- Brook Nepon-Sixt, PhD (Alexandrow Lab) received award for highest rated Molecular Oncology Research in Progress speaker for senior postdoc category.
- Elsa R. Flores, PhD and Marco Napoli, PhD presented their research at the 8th International p63/p73 Workshop in Frankfurt, Germany.
- Garima Pandey, PhD (Postdoc Fellow, Reuther lab) was invited to present her work entitled "The Persistent Survival of MPN Cells to JAK2 Inhibition Is Dependent on SHP2 Activity, Which May Provide a Therapeutic Target to Enhance Current Anti-MPN Therapies” at the American Society of Hematology 60th Annual Meeting in December, 2018 in San Diego, CA
- Flores Lab graduate students Ngoc Bui and Andrew Davis successfully defended their PhD dissertations. Congratulations, Drs. Bui and Davis.
- Gary Reuther, PhD together with Nicholas Lawrence and Ernst Schonbrunn (both in the Drug Discovery Department) were informed that a second year of funding for their Screen to Lead Program grant from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society was awarded.
- Molecular Oncology trainees presented 17 abstracts at the 2018 Cancer Biology and Evolution Symposium. Congratulations to Ngoc Bui, PhD (Postdoc Fellow, Flores Lab) for receiving an oral presentation award and to Nick Gimbrone (Grad Student, Cress Lab), Xiaobo Li, PhD (Postdoc Fellow, Flores Lab), and Andrew Davis, PhD (Postdoc Fellow, Flores Lab) for receiving poster presentation awards.
- An abstract by Nick Gimbrone (Grad Student, Cress lab) was selected for an oral presentation at the upcoming 2018 Lung Cancer SPORE Workshop.
- Justin Newberg, PhD (labs of Karen Mann, PhD and Michael Mann, PhD) published a paper in Nucleic Acid Research entitled "SB Driver Analysis: A Sleeping Beauty cancer driver analysis framework for identifying and prioritizing experimentally actionable oncogenes and tumor suppressors."
- Mark Alexandrow, PhD and Nagi Kumar, PhD received a long awaited FL-DOH grant which represents a collaboration between Molecular Oncology and Population Sciences. The teams are also looking forward to positive news on another grant application in the near future.
- Congratulations to Doug Cress, PhD as the recipient of the Researcher Mentor of the Year award at the 2018 Moffitt Scientific Symposium.
- Molecular Oncology trainees presented 20 abstracts at the 2018 Moffitt Scientific Symposium.
- Postdoctoral Fellow Marco Napoli, PhD (Flores Lab) had his abstract selected for oral presentation at the 2018 Moffitt Scientific Symposium.
- Florian Karreth, PhD was awarded a 2018 Miles for Moffitt Milestone grant.