Molecular Oncology in the News
- Faculty Members Elsa Flores, Ph.D. and Doug Cress, Ph.D. received a Notice of Award for a 1.5 million dollar NCI T32 training Integrated Program in Cancer and Data Science
- Faculty Member Doug Cress, Ph.D. presented his work at the James and Esther King Biomedical Research Grant Symposium
- New paper published in Nature Communications: "Interplay between c-Src and the APC/C co-activator Cdh1 regulates mammary tumorigenesis.” (Wan Lab)
- New paper published in FEBS Open Bio "Characterization of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) P848L, an unusual EGFR variant present in lung cancer patients, in a murine Ba/F3 model." (Cress Lab)
- New paper published in Cancer Research: "MEK inhibition modulates cytokine response to mediate therapeutic efficacy in lung cancer." (Cress Lab)
- Qingliang Li, PhD (Postdoc Fellow, Chen Lab) was recognized and awarded best trainee presentation during the 2019 second quarter Department of Molecular Oncology Research-In-Progress Seminar Series (RIP).
- Faculty member Florian Karreth, PhD presented a seminar at the Anna Spiegel Center of Translational Research at the Medical University Vienna, Austria.
- Shengyan (Kevin) Xiang, Ph.D. (Research Scientist) and Jon Faughn, Ph.D. (Postdoctoral Fellow) join the Alexandrow Lab.
- Rajanikanth Vangipurapu, Ph.D. (Research Scientist) joins the K Mann Lab.
- Kazi Aslamuzzaman, Ph.D. (Research Scientist) joins the Flores Lab.
- Ariana Angarita Medrano (Research Associate) joins the Karreth Lab.
- Faculty member Florian Karreth, PhD presented at the 3rd International Symposium on Frontiers in Molecular Science - RNA Regulatory Networks conference in Lisbon, Portugal.
- Graduate student Ella Bok published a preprint on BioRxiv: Bok et al., “A versatile ES cell-based melanoma mouse modeling platform.” (Karreth Lab)
- Faculty members Jennifer Binning, Ph.D. and Michael Mann, Ph.D. presented the 2019 Annual Florida Academic Cancer Center Alliance (FACCA) Research Retreat.
- Molecular Oncology faculty Karen Mann, PhD and Michael Mann, PhD together with Philipp Altrock, PhD (Integrated Mathematical Oncology) and Eric Padron, MD (Malignant Hematology) were awarded a Moffitt Cancer Center 2019 Team Science Early Development Award to study latent therapeutic vulnerabilities in myeloid leukemia using integrated animal and mathematical modeling.
- Marco Napoli, PhD (Postdoc Fellow, Flores Lab) was awarded best trainee presentation during the 2019 first quarter Department of Molecular Oncology Research-In-Progress Seminar Series (RIP).
- Michael Mann, PhD and Postdoc Fellow Ana M. Contreras-Sandoval, PhD presented their work within Interdisciplinary Spotlight on Disease Models Mini-Symposium at the 77th Annual Society for Investigative Dermatology Meeting in Chicago, IL.
- Congratulations to Marco Napoli, PhD (Postdoc Fellow, Flores Lab) for being selected as an Oral Presenter Award representing Basic Science Research and to Garima Pandey, PhD (Postdoc Fellow, Reuther Lab) for being selected as a Featured Poster Presenter Award representing Basic Science Research at the 2019 Moffitt Scientific Symposium.
- Molecular Oncology trainees presented 20 abstracts at the 2019 Moffitt Scientific Symposium.
- Molecular Oncology faculty welcome our newest Assistant Member Jennifer Binning, PhD.
- Faculty member Lixin Wan, PhD was named the 2018 Moffitt Junior Faculty of the Year for Basic Science.
- New paper published in Communications Biology (Nature Press): "Myc-Driven Chromatin Accessibility Regulates Cdc45 Assembly into CMG Helicases.” (Alexandrow Lab)
- USF undergraduate student Trent Percy, who conducts research in the Cress Lab, won an award for his presentation at the Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology Department Research Conference.
- Faculty member Karen M. Mann, PhD was featured in the Moffitt Cancer Center publication, 2019 Women In Oncology Magazine.
- Nicholas Gimbrone, Graduate Student in the Cress Lab successfully defends his doctoral dissertation. Congratulations Dr. Gimbrone.
- Third Annual Molecular Oncology Departmental Retreat at ZooTampa at Lowry Park.
- Congratulations to the 2019 Molecular Oncology Annual Departmental Retreat award winners:
• Oral presentation awards:
• Yannis Grammatikis, PhD, Research Scientist, Flores Lab
• Laura Torrente Fernandez, PhD, Postdoc Fellow, DeNicola Lab
• Suman Govindaraju, PhD, Postdoc Fellow, K Mann Lab
• Daniel Lester, Graduate Student, Le-Lau Lab
• Poster presentation awards:
• Aziz Aiders, PhD, Postdoc Fellow, M Mann Lab
• Xiaobo Li, PhD, Postdoc Fellow, Flores Lab
• Lucia Mazzacurati, PhD, Research Scientist, Reuther Lab
• Marco Napoli, PhD, Postdoc Fellow, Flores Lab
• Qing Yin, PhD, Postdoc Fellow, Wan Lab
• Yun Pyo Kang, PhD, Postdoc Fellow, DeNicola Lab
- Drs. Elsa Flores, Michael Mann and Lixin Wan present the 2018 Research-In-Progress Seminar Series Final Wrap up session and Holiday Luncheon.
- Andrew Davis, PhD (Flores Lab) was awarded best presentation by a junior trainee at the Department of Molecular Oncology – Research-In-Progress Seminar Series (RIP).
- Brook Nepon-Sixt, PhD (Alexandrow Lab) and Yannis Grammatikakis, PhD (Flores Lab) received awards for excellence in providing high-quality peer-review and evaluation to presenters throughout 2018 Research-In-Progress Seminar Series.
- Andrew Davis, PhD was awarded the Helmsley Scholarship to attend the Computational Genomics Course at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratories.
- Hayley Ackerman, PhD was awarded best presentation by a junior member at the Department of Molecular Oncology – Research In Progress Seminar Series (RIP).
- Florian Karreth, PhD received a Melanoma Research Foundation Mucosal Melanoma Career Development Award.
- Karen Mann is awarded the 2018 Skip Viragh Pancreatic Cancer Action Network Career Development Award to study RBFOX2-mediated splicing regulation in pancreatic cancer progression.
- Michael Mann, PhD was awarded an Moffitt Cancer Center’s American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant (ACS-IRG) Program Award.
- New paper published in Molecular Cancer Research: "TGFß1 Cell Cycle Arrest Is Mediated by Inhibition of MCM Assembly in Rb-deficient Conditions.” (Alexandrow Lab)
- New grant funded by the James and Esther King Program, State of Florida: "Chemoprevention of Lung Cancer in Former Smokers." (Alexandrow Lab)
- Brook Nepon-Sixt, PhD (Alexandrow Lab) received award for highest rated Molecular Oncology Research in Progress speaker for senior postdoc category.
- Elsa R. Flores, PhD and Marco Napoli, PhD presented their research at the 8th International p63/p73 Workshop in Frankfurt, Germany.
- Garima Pandey, PhD (Postdoc Fellow, Reuther lab) was invited to present her work entitled "The Persistent Survival of MPN Cells to JAK2 Inhibition Is Dependent on SHP2 Activity, Which May Provide a Therapeutic Target to Enhance Current Anti-MPN Therapies” at the American Society of Hematology 60th Annual Meeting in December, 2018 in San Diego, CA